1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GeezerGeek. Show GeezerGeek's posts

Re: What was your favorite Sox baseball card, how/when did you get it?

"55" Tops Ted Williams.    22 packs and 3 cavities but I got it. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Butch Hobson's 1979 Topps card.  His face looks green.  Really scary.  Image still sticks with me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpanther98. Show bigpanther98's posts

I was a kid throughout the 80s, so I always had a special place in my heart for the cards of the players I was seeing on the field currently. My favorites:
    -1988 Topps Wade Boggs (great action shot of him just coming out of his slightly bent over crouch seemingly spraying one of his singles to the opposite field while sporting a full beard)
    -Mystery Wade Boggs card from 1988. It was a from a special set where the border was bright yellow and featured a picture of him holding a bat on his shoulder while a rubber chicken is being dangled next to him. It may have actually been from a board game of some kind, but if anyone knows what the heck I'm talking about, I'd appreciate the validation that I'm not insane.
    -1987 Topps Mike Greenwell (the cheesy wood image border just looked so cool to me on this card since he just looked so peeved in the picture, like he couldn't stand that this photographer was in his face. It was a tough looking card)
    -1988 Score Dwight Evans (It was the only card I could ever find that featured him in his unique stance. I loved that stance. The bright purple border was a huge bonus for me as well because it was my favorite color)
    -1985 Fleer Dwight Evans (a very manly card, the card was a slate gray with a red inner border featuring Dewey taking practice cuts with a slight scowl on his face and wielding this huge warm-up bat contraption. He looked all business.)
    -1976 Topps Jim Rice (youthful Jim Rice where the card featured an "all-star rookie" trophy image in the corner of the card. This was the first card I had that featured that, and I thought it was really cool)
    -1978 Topps Jim Rice (the photographer apparently took a clandestine photo of Rice as he appears to be sharing a light moment with someone off camera, possibly sharing a joke, where he is laughing quite heartily. This is a departure from his usual smile on cards that was always a slightly contrived-looking one that bordered on Charlie Brownish, and I really liked it for it. It was  neat photo)

By far, the card I liked the least was the 1986 Topps Steve Lyons. It seemed like every pack had a Steve Lyons in it, it was so frustrating. Honestly, I saved a few of the copies, but after a while, I was just throwing poor Stevie away in the trash. One cool thing about the card is how it describes his position(s) on the back of the card as outfield, third baseman, first baseman. He was the one who started making me aware of the utility man.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

I am a die hard Canadian Red Sox,Bruins and Celtics fan and I have an abundance of Boston sports team material too long too list. My friends in Southern Ontario nick name Boston Guy at card shows. I am hoping to come to Boston this summer 2011 to watch a ball game and find some local card shows.LaughingCool

Red Sox- Johhny Damon,Jerry Rice and Fisk Rookie Cards with asst. Yaz cards along with common cards from 50's 60's and seventies
    Celtics-   Pierce Rookie Cards and Bird's 2nd year card
    Bruins-    Don' t know where to start

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from j2mac. Show j2mac's posts

My 9 year old daughter and I send cards TTM(Through The Mail) to the players c/o the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park and FT Myers. We usually use Allen & Ginter or cards with a similar look.  It's time we can spend together doing something fun. In the process, she learns about the Red Sox players she sees when we go to Camden yards, and the great game of baseball.  It's usually hit or miss, mostly miss.  Our average is about 30%.  I assume most of the big name or popular players just toss the cards out.  We have sent about 20 out in the last few seasons and have received Jed Lowrie, Hideki Okajima and Terry Francona to name a few.  It's definitely more exciting receiving the cards then sending them!  Her favorite is Terry Francona.  My favorite is a card that was sent to a home address on the west coast a few year back. It came back autographed  "Bobby Doerr HOF 86". 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

In Response to Re: What was your favorite Sox baseball card, how/when did you get it?:
    [QUOTE] My 9 year old daughter and I send cards TTM(Through The Mail) to the players c/o the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park and FT Myers. We usually use Allen & Ginter or cards with a similar look.  It's time we can spend together doing something fun. In the process, she learns about the Red Sox players she sees when we go to Camden yards, and the great game of baseball.  It's usually hit or miss, mostly miss.  Our average is about 30%.  I assume most of the big name or popular players just toss the cards out.  We have sent about 20 out in the last few seasons and have received Jed Lowrie, Hideki Okajima and Terry Francona to name a few.  It's definitely more exciting receiving the cards then sending them!  Her favorite is Terry Francona.  My favorite is a card that was sent to a home address on the west coast a few year back. It came back autographed  "Bobby Doerr HOF 86". 
    Posted by j2mac[/QUOTE]
    Bobby Doerr is a class act , good man on and off the field.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Jim Rice 77 with the sideburns. A non-Sox related card would be George Foster's Mets card.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustNo1. Show TrustNo1's posts

My favorite Baseball card is not from the Redsox, but, is from the greatest Professional Sports franchise in the history of all sports, and they are the 27 time, World Series Champions, the Legendary New York Yankees. And, for myself, the greatest Baseball card hat was ever printed was an expensive addition to my vast collection, but, what collection would it be, without one of the great MLB players in the history of the game, and that card is the 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle rookie card. I purchased this card back in the early 1980's from a dealer that I personally knew. I have every Mantle card from 1969 and back to 1951, with one exception, the 1952 Topps Mantle, which one day, I will own and complete the Mick's collection. I can't tell you just how many Ted Williams, Dom Dimaggio, Clemens, Boggs & Fisk cards wound up pinned with a clothes pin hanger on my bicycle spokes, but, don't feel bad Baaston, on those same spokes were at least 50 Nolan Ryan rookie cards also, so, I can definitely atest to, that I had one of the most expensive bicycles in mine and many other neighborhoods. I wound up after I was forced to retire because of an injury, I became a full time Collectibles Dealer, and I can say this with pride that after that loser Peedro attacked an 7o year old man on the field, that I took ever single one of his card, including a stack of his Rookie cards, wiped dog feces all over them, then lite them on fire with some of my dealer friends all chanting Burn you punk. We're just wild and crazy guys in our old age, what can I say? Oh, by the way, now, that the NY Yankees have just added the second best relieve in MLB, as a set up man for the greatest Closer in the history of MLB, the Yankees now have the best Bullpen in MLB, they also have the best line-up, bench, and after Andy comes back, and we add a Starter, the Yankees will have the best all around team in MLB, and will be back on top with the odds maers as the Favorites to win their 28th World Series Championship this season, so, Baaston Redsox fans, the best of luck to you and your team this season. I'm looking forward to many a great between the two best teams in MLB, the NY Yankees and the Baaston Redsox. Good luck guys, you're going to need it! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

In Response to Re: What was your favorite Sox baseball card, how/when did you get it?:
    [QUOTE]My favorite Baseball card is not from the Redsox, but, is from the greatest Professional Sports franchise in the history of all sports, and they are the 27 time, World Series Champions, the Legendary New York Yankees. And, for myself, the greatest Baseball card hat was ever printed was an expensive addition to my vast collection, but, what collection would it be, without one of the great MLB players in the history of the game, and that card is the 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle rookie card. I purchased this card back in the early 1980's from a dealer that I personally knew. I have every Mantle card from 1969 and back to 1951, with one exception, the 1952 Topps Mantle, which one day, I will own and complete the Mick's collection. I can't tell you just how many Ted Williams, Dom Dimaggio, Clemens, Boggs & Fisk cards wound up pinned with a clothes pin hanger on my bicycle spokes, but, don't feel bad Baaston, on those same spokes were at least 50 Nolan Ryan rookie cards also, so, I can definitely atest to, that I had one of the most expensive bicycles in mine and many other neighborhoods. I wound up after I was forced to retire because of an injury, I became a full time Collectibles Dealer, and I can say this with pride that after that loser Peedro attacked an 7o year old man on the field, that I took ever single one of his card, including a stack of his Rookie cards, wiped dog feces all over them, then lite them on fire with some of my dealer friends all chanting Burn you punk. We're just wild and crazy guys in our old age, what can I say? Oh, by the way, now, that the NY Yankees have just added the second best relieve in MLB, as a set up man for the greatest Closer in the history of MLB, the Yankees now have the best Bullpen in MLB, they also have the best line-up, bench, and after Andy comes back, and we add a Starter, the Yankees will have the best all around team in MLB, and will be back on top with the odds maers as the Favorites to win their 28th World Series Championship this season, so, Baaston Redsox fans, the best of luck to you and your team this season. I'm looking forward to many a great between the two best teams in MLB, the NY Yankees and the Baaston Redsox. Good luck guys, you're going to need it! 
    Posted by TrustNo1[/QUOTE]

Don't hug yourself too hard, !!!! As for this year, this is for Sox fans about their favorite memory, can't you find a Yankee board to lather up?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from donk3. Show donk3's posts

Growing up in the late 60s and 70s, I was always on the lookout for Tony Conigliaro, Yaz, Rico Petrocelli,  and Reggie Smith.  But every pack seemed to have Pete Rose and Tony Perez.  I used those in the spokes of my stingray bicycle.  I finally got the cards I wanted by buying them for a nickel a pack.  Also in those days, players had to have jobs in the winter to make ends meet, so imagine a guy showing up at your door selling vacuum cleaners who you recognize.  And, after searching through your stack of cards, find that he is a second baseman on the Oakland Athletics!  He signed my card even though we didn't buy a vacuum.  I am thinking his name was Jim Darnell and it was in the early 70s.  He was not a starter, but I am sure you will not see anything like that happen again with any professional athlete.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnnyboy9. Show johnnyboy9's posts

i have only sox card. a fred lynn rookie card. my most cherished red sox item are my 4 unused tickets to carl yaz's last game. was a raiders fan at the time and wanted to watch them play the redskins on opening day of the nfl season that year. so in the cigar box they went. every few years i go through that box and looking at them provides me with vivid memories of those times; just as the cards do.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

My 1951 Bowman card of Ted Williams. Also like the 1950 Bowman card of Mel Parnell.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmm21. Show gmm21's posts

1962 Topps Yaz Card, traded for as a kid, in mint condition to this day, I also have a Topps Cal Ripken card, limited series, found at Disneyland, Anaheim in the hobby shop like ~15 years ago, at the time I figured one day it would be worth allot more than the $40 I shelled out for it...

Good topic, I am a collector....and have a quite a few in the Sox collection but I have players from all teams, mostly in the 60's and 70's, etc...names Like Clemente, Rose, Aaron, Bench, Mays, to name a few...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

[QUOTE]1962 Topps Yaz Card, traded for as a kid, in mint condition to this day, I also have a Topps Cal Ripken card, limited series, found at Disneyland, Anaheim in the hobby shop like ~15 years ago, at the time I figured one day it would be worth allot more than the $40 I shelled out for it... Good topic, I am a collector....and have a quite a few in the Sox collection but I have players from all teams, mostly in the 60's and 70's, etc...names Like Clemente, Rose, Aaron, Bench, Mays, to name a few...
    Posted by gmm21[/QUOTE]

I am also a collector some of my stuff is back to the 1940's, a nice Leaf Bob Doerr, Williams from the 50's, Yaz and company from the 60's forward.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerjack. Show jerjack's posts

1963 Pumpsie Green that I got out of a Topps gum pack.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Fisk rookie card was a favorite.

But this card was also a favorite because I had 3 of them which I sold in college to buy books:

http://dailysportscard.com/content/1973-topps-mike-schmidt-ron-cey-rookie-card

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorbludd. Show majorbludd's posts

For my birthday one year my cousin stuck a Boggs Fleer rookie card in an envelope. All the other envelopes had money in them. I couldn't give a crap. I got the Chicken Man baby!