1. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Window closes on Phils, Clubhouse doors opens in ALE

The 7-11 start of the Philadelphia Phillies is significant because it's the second year in a row that the Phils have goten off to a slow start in April. Last year's team "recovered" to finish at .500 as the Braves and Nationals vied for the top billing. It's apparent this year too, that their biggest rivals are as good or better than advertised and both of those teams' core players are in their prime. The Phils rode their core players' prime years to a six year domination of the NLE, with one second place finish and five consecutive first place finishes the Phils ruled supreme. as their "window" closes, ALE club house doors will be opening.

Last year the Phils Gm, Ruben Amaro shipped out Shane Victorino to the Dodgers and Hunter Pence to the Giants, in returned he banked some young pitching, that pitching is now seasoning in AA.

So who is likely to be saying goodbye to Philadelphia's liberty bell? Michael Young, with his versatility in playing all INF positions and potent bat, he's just the type of guy that solidifies a stretch running team. Factor in the ages of Jimmy Rollins and Chase Utley, both 34, and it's obvious they are  not in any long term Phillie plans. Big Ryan Howard's humongous contract probably keeps him anchored,  but who knows?

Many moves are made for veteran pitching, and the Phils have that in abundance. Roy Haladay aint what he used to be, but he's enough to bring stability to any rotation. John Lannan, though currently on the 15 day DL, will get some interest as all Lefties do, Lannan's sore knee will have him coming back about mid June, just in time to tune up and be showcased. The most valuable chip, though is Cliff Lee, and Lee has been through the spinning clubhouse door before with Philadelphia.

Amaro will likely be fielding calls from  teams in the ALE, and current Phillies are likely to be switching uniforms. I would expect that the order of activity will be NY, Baltimore, Toronto and Boston.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Re: Window closes on Phils, Clubhouse doors opens in ALE

Phils are on ESPN tonite, start scouting.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Phils are on ESPN tonite, start scouting.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

If Phillie stays out of the race, no doubt there will be a lot of movement in July.  But also no doubt that they will pit all the contenders against each other to squeeze as much as they can from each organization.  It could look like last year's Red Sox/Dodgers deal or the offseason Blue Jays/Marlins.  Buyer beware.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Too early to bail on the Phillies.  Halladay and Hamels are showing signs of coming around, and Ruiz returns in about a week.  The post is a little inaccurate referencing their 'slow' start to 2012.  It wasn't really a slow start so much as being without their two best players for about three months.  And the reason why they 'recovered' is that their two best players returned from injury.  They were 44-30 over their last 74 games, which is ~ .600.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Too early to bail on the Phillies.  Halladay and Hamels are showing signs of coming around, and Ruiz returns in about a week.  The post is a little inaccurate referencing their 'slow' start to 2012.  It wasn't really a slow start so much as being without their two best players for about three months.  And the reason why they 'recovered' is that their two best players returned from injury.  They were 44-30 over their last 74 games, which is ~ .600.

The Phils are so yesterday, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

the Phillies are terrible.

end of line

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

With the extra wild card spot, if the Phillies are less than five games behind the second wild card spot by late July, they might decide not to be sellers.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

OK, If they are indeed sellers (Which I wouldnt put money on right now) heres some names I dont want or dont think they are getting rid of.

Cliff Lee (You can have that contract)

Ryan Howard (not with that deal)

Cole Hammels  (resigned, not going anywhere)

Jonathan Papelbon (no need, too much $$)

I dont think we need Rollins, but he could be dealt. We dont need Young, but he could get dealt. Dont need Utley, but he could go as well. maybe Halladay if we run into some big trouble, but it would have to be really big to make a move for him.

That pretty much leaves all the young guys which Im not sure they will part with unless its a big NEED for us and we give up something very big in return.

So basically, unless something very bad happens between now and the deadline, I dont see a match with the Phills.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

OK, If they are indeed sellers (Which I wouldnt put money on right now) heres some names I dont want or dont think they are getting rid of.

Cliff Lee (You can have that contract)

Ryan Howard (not with that deal)

Cole Hammels  (resigned, not going anywhere)

Jonathan Papelbon (no need, too much $$)

I dont think we need Rollins, but he could be dealt. We dont need Young, but he could get dealt. Dont need Utley, but he could go as well. maybe Halladay if we run into some big trouble, but it would have to be really big to make a move for him.

That pretty much leaves all the young guys which Im not sure they will part with unless its a big NEED for us and we give up something very big in return.

So basically, unless something very bad happens between now and the deadline, I dont see a match with the Phills.

-I agree SP. But I think our rivals will go shopping with them.