1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Re: Yankees Enter Their "Bridge Year,"

In Response to Re: Yankees Enter Their "Bridge Year,":
    Burrito - when did you become so annoying and why? Your attempts to be like Smiley are sad. At least he is somewhat original in his insanity. This crowning of the Sox which is taking place now better actually happen come Nov., 2011. If not, I fear that the Tobin Bridge will not be able to handle the weight of all the would-be jumpers.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Does Burrito know that the free agent market is deplete of quality players or is he simply exposing the moronic side of himself? Lee was the only rejection going to the Phillies who I think may have the best line up since the '70s Orioles with 4 twenty game winners. I believe he thought he had a better chance of winning a WS in Philly seeing their already banging starting rotation. He pitches even better in the NL with one less productive bat in the hands of opposing pitchers. Our Yanks will be competitive and I'm anxious to see what Cash conjures up to better our rotation by June. Hope Andy stays as well. The Yanks are known for their sneaky clandestine trades and they always seem to identify and pull a rabbit out of their wallets. Good luck Jess. Coach P.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

In Response; to Yankees Enter Their "Bridge Year,":
    Here we have it folks, the money train has come to a grinding halt.  Not that management is unwilling to spend but that an entirely unexpected new development has occurred - players don't want any part of the Apple. Andy Petite is doing his best Rocket impersonation and could likely retire. Even if he does not, he is a year older and damaged goods.  Cashman even has gone public that Petite is likely gone. Cliff Lee?  Well we know what happened here. Kerry Wood?  AKA "Lights Out" walked without hesitation.  I am not even sure the Yankees were bright enough to try and keep him around. Carl Crawford?  We can assume here the Yankees never expected the Red Sox to anti up for a second helping of top dollar additions for the 2011 season. Quite certain here the Yankees figured in the end they would just sign a big check (besting Art Moreno) to ink Carl, and were in no rush to do so. Complete blind side here.  it is a Yankee tactic to never make the first offer, they find it more sporting to top offers - letting the other teams do all the work. Rivera was an obvious choice to bring back - and the perfect gentleman not to get into the mud pit over the last dollar.  Otherwise the Yankees would have messed this up too. Derek Jeter will forever have a bruised ego, and I have seen more than enough Yankee fans hold it against him for his stance in the negotiations. In all the Yankees can make all the trade deadline moves their hearts desire as they will already be 18.5 games out of the race. A bridge to nowhere?  I doubt it.  Albert Pujols will be their target for the winter of 2011-12.
    Posted by BurritoT

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

jesseyeric while it does not really bother me that you don't like my approach  I would only say it is a post meant to be somewhat true, somewhat funny, and overall it should be taken lightly.  What is more is the last thing I ever do is copy or assimilate to style of another. heobrien did the right thing (after choosing to participate) and gave a great take on New York - thus I achieved at least one goal and got something worth reading. Go Red Sox, and may the Gods of Baseball lay 100 consecutive years of last place finishes for the New York Yankees.
    Posted by BurritoT

And may elephants caress you with their toes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

In Response; to Re: Yankees Enter Their "Bridge Year,":
    True dat - it was smiley.
    Posted by BurritoT

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pppggg. Show pppggg's posts

"Albert Pujols will be their target for the winter of 2011-12."

I don't think the Yanks need a 1st baseman.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Here we have it folks, the money train has come to a grinding halt.  Not that management is unwilling to spend but that an entirely unexpected new development has occurred - players don't want any part of the Apple.   That's pretty misleading.  Based on credible reports only one major free agent (Cliff Lee) spurned the Yankees for another team.  His signing had less to do with NY, than his desire to pitching in Philly--a city he apparently learned to love over a few short months. Andy Petite is doing his best Rocket impersonation and could likely retire. Even if he does not, he is a year older and damaged goods.  Cashman even has gone public that Petite is likely gone. Pettitte has been mulling retirement for a couple of years now.  While the Yankees were hopeful he would return, they haven't relied on it.  I'm sure they're much more hopeful now that so many of their potential targets have come off of the board in recent days. Cliff Lee?  Well we know what happened here. See above.  While it's surprising he didn't go to NYY, it's not as scandalous as the media and most Red Sox fans think it is. Kerry Wood?  AKA "Lights Out" walked without hesitation.  I am not even sure the Yankees were bright enough to try and keep him around. Kerry Wood?  He never wanted to leave the Cubs.  He took less money to go back to the organization he came up with.  The Yankees weren't the only ones who got turned down.  The White Sox offered him $3.5M.  He took $1.5M from the Cubs instead. Carl Crawford?  We can assume here the Yankees never expected the Red Sox to anti up for a second helping of top dollar additions for the 2011 season. Quite certain here the Yankees figured in the end they would just sign a big check (besting Art Moreno) to ink Carl, and were in no rush to do so. Complete blind side here.  it is a Yankee tactic to never make the first offer, they find it more sporting to top offers - letting the other teams do all the work. There isn't any credible source showing that the Yankees had anything more than a passing interest in Crawford.  In fact, they may've met with the Crawford and his agent only to drive up the price on the Sox and Angels.  The Yankees had their guns pointed at Lee.  If Crawford was still on the board when Lee signed with the Phillies, they might've tried to make a move.  That didn't happen, so we'll never know.  All you're doing is speculating. Rivera was an obvious choice to bring back - and the perfect gentleman not to get into the mud pit over the last dollar.  Otherwise the Yankees would have messed this up too. But they didn't mess this one up.  I'm not understanding your complaint. Derek Jeter will forever have a bruised ego, and I have seen more than enough Yankee fans hold it against him for his stance in the negotiations. The Yankees had every right to stand pat with him.  He's not worth the money he and Casey Close believed him to be worth--at least not in terms of on the field value.  Did the Yankees make mistakes?  Absolutely.  The way both sides played the negotiatons out in public was incredibly sad and childish.  Jeter got caught in the middle of a war of words, and got bruised.  That said, if Jeter had been more realistic about his future performance, the negotiations would've gone much smoother.  Still, no one should hold Jeter's stance against him either.  He has every right to request the numbers he requested.  Plus, he kept his mouth shut the entire time.  He was the bystander caught in the midst of the crossfire.  If Yankee fans hold it against him, then they're the ones with the issue--not Jeter. In all the Yankees can make all the trade deadline moves their hearts desire as they will already be 18.5 games out of the race. That's so far from the truth, it's not even funny.  A lot can happen between now and Opening Day.  Lester could tear his UCL.  Adrian Gonzalez could shatter his ankle. The Yankees could make a big unexpected trade.  We don't know.  On paper the Red Sox look like a great team, but the Yankees still look like a lock for 90 wins as well.  A bridge to nowhere?  I doubt it.  Albert Pujols will be their target for the winter of 2011-12. Where will the Yankee play Pujols?  First base?  Nope.  Mark Teixeira owns that spot for the next five years.  DH?  One, why would you waste your DH slot on a Fielding Bible Award quality defensive first baseman?  Second, that's where A-Rod will start playing in a couple of years--if not 2012.  So where does that leave?  The outfield?  Well, ok, but he hasn't played there since 2003, so that doesn't seem like a good fit at all.  Also, I'd be apprehensive about moving a first baseman who's on the wrong side of 30 to a more challenging defensive position, but that's just me.  Forgive me, but I don't see a place for him on the Yankees unless some huge trade occurs. You know I like you Burrito, but this post was way off.  It comes off as being anti-Yankee propaganda.  While I expect this out of SPC1988, I expect more out of you--even if it is posts about how awesome you think you are. 
    Posted by redsoxfan791

Unless he's in the midst of the Yankee enclave, how would he know how the fans feel about Derek? This is just a lengthy BS diatribe to incite Yankee fanatics into meaningless he said she said. He doesn't know shiot.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

"I disagree, I think Crawford WAS the Yank's Plan B. Gardner is no way close to the player CC is. Theo's move was in part a strategic one to block the Yankees."--javaukti --------------------------------------------------------------------------- I love the way Crawford plays and goes about his business, but I remember a Yankee FO guy saying in early December, " Crawford's a better guy than Gardner, but at $500K, he's not 40 times better". I agree. Gardner is a special guy and at the money, who can argue that logic?
    Posted by mfymfy

That and Gardner is one of the few arbitration eligible players on the Yanks' current roster that they have control of at a very reasonable price.  Those type of guys are valuable to have and help balance out the payroll.  The Yankees didn't need Crawford, they needed Lee or another front end starter.  There's still time for them to pull off a move, but I honestly don't see much out there for them.  Maybe one of the White Sox starters?  Roll the dice on Brandon Webb?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Ahh, the holidays ...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Road-Warrior. Show Road-Warrior's posts

Thanks for all of those RS fans who stood up for the Yankees - embarrassing.
    Posted by BurritoT

The original poster who came up with this dumb thread should be embarrassed.
    Oh wait a minute.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

In Response ;to Re: Yankees Enter Their "Bridge Year,":
    Thanks for bumping this thread jack-azz.... good to see that while the rest of us were looking forward to the season opener for obvious reasons you were only waiting for it to play your own game.
    Posted by BurritoT

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

Re: Yankees Enter Their

True dat - it was smiley.
    Posted by BurritoT

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

The Yankees made a big move. They paid Derek Jeter 10 times more than anyone else in baseball would have offered him.
    Posted by Captain313

It's called respect. 'And now batting, #2, Derek Jeteeeer'.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

Here we have it folks, the money train has come to a grinding halt.  Not that management is unwilling to spend but that an entirely unexpected new development has occurred - players don't want any part of the Apple.   That's pretty misleading.  Based on credible reports only one major free agent (Cliff Lee) spurned the Yankees for another team.  His signing had less to do with NY, than his desire to pitching in Philly--a city he apparently learned to love over a few short months. Andy Petite is doing his best Rocket impersonation and could likely retire. Even if he does not, he is a year older and damaged goods.  Cashman even has gone public that Petite is likely gone. Pettitte has been mulling retirement for a couple of years now.  While the Yankees were hopeful he would return, they haven't relied on it.  I'm sure they're much more hopeful now that so many of their potential targets have come off of the board in recent days. Cliff Lee?  Well we know what happened here. See above.  While it's surprising he didn't go to NYY, it's not as scandalous as the media and most Red Sox fans think it is. Kerry Wood?  AKA "Lights Out" walked without hesitation.  I am not even sure the Yankees were bright enough to try and keep him around. Kerry Wood?  He never wanted to leave the Cubs.  He took less money to go back to the organization he came up with.  The Yankees weren't the only ones who got turned down.  The White Sox offered him $3.5M.  He took $1.5M from the Cubs instead. Carl Crawford?  We can assume here the Yankees never expected the Red Sox to anti up for a second helping of top dollar additions for the 2011 season. Quite certain here the Yankees figured in the end they would just sign a big check (besting Art Moreno) to ink Carl, and were in no rush to do so. Complete blind side here.  it is a Yankee tactic to never make the first offer, they find it more sporting to top offers - letting the other teams do all the work. There isn't any credible source showing that the Yankees had anything more than a passing interest in Crawford.  In fact, they may've met with the Crawford and his agent only to drive up the price on the Sox and Angels.  The Yankees had their guns pointed at Lee.  If Crawford was still on the board when Lee signed with the Phillies, they might've tried to make a move.  That didn't happen, so we'll never know.  All you're doing is speculating. Rivera was an obvious choice to bring back - and the perfect gentleman not to get into the mud pit over the last dollar.  Otherwise the Yankees would have messed this up too. But they didn't mess this one up.  I'm not understanding your complaint. Derek Jeter will forever have a bruised ego, and I have seen more than enough Yankee fans hold it against him for his stance in the negotiations. The Yankees had every right to stand pat with him.  He's not worth the money he and Casey Close believed him to be worth--at least not in terms of on the field value.  Did the Yankees make mistakes?  Absolutely.  The way both sides played the negotiatons out in public was incredibly sad and childish.  Jeter got caught in the middle of a war of words, and got bruised.  That said, if Jeter had been more realistic about his future performance, the negotiations would've gone much smoother.  Still, no one should hold Jeter's stance against him either.  He has every right to request the numbers he requested.  Plus, he kept his mouth shut the entire time.  He was the bystander caught in the midst of the crossfire.  If Yankee fans hold it against him, then they're the ones with the issue--not Jeter. In all the Yankees can make all the trade deadline moves their hearts desire as they will already be 18.5 games out of the race. That's so far from the truth, it's not even funny.  A lot can happen between now and Opening Day.  Lester could tear his UCL.  Adrian Gonzalez could shatter his ankle. The Yankees could make a big unexpected trade.  We don't know.  On paper the Red Sox look like a great team, but the Yankees still look like a lock for 90 wins as well.  A bridge to nowhere?  I doubt it.  Albert Pujols will be their target for the winter of 2011-12. Where will the Yankee play Pujols?  First base?  Nope.  Mark Teixeira owns that spot for the next five years.  DH?  One, why would you waste your DH slot on a Fielding Bible Award quality defensive first baseman?  Second, that's where A-Rod will start playing in a couple of years--if not 2012.  So where does that leave?  The outfield?  Well, ok, but he hasn't played there since 2003, so that doesn't seem like a good fit at all.  Also, I'd be apprehensive about moving a first baseman who's on the wrong side of 30 to a more challenging defensive position, but that's just me.  Forgive me, but I don't see a place for him on the Yankees unless some huge trade occurs. You know I like you Burrito, but this post was way off.  It comes off as being anti-Yankee propaganda.  While I expect this out of SPC1988, I expect more out of you--even if it is posts about how awesome you think you are. 
    Posted by redsoxfan791

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

Here we have it folks, the money train has come to a grinding halt.  Not that management is unwilling to spend but that an entirely unexpected new development has occurred - players don't want any part of the Apple. Andy Petite is doing his best Rocket impersonation and could likely retire. Even if he does not, he is a year older and damaged goods.  Cashman even has gone public that Petite is likely gone. Cliff Lee?  Well we know what happened here. Kerry Wood?  AKA "Lights Out" walked without hesitation.  I am not even sure the Yankees were bright enough to try and keep him around. Carl Crawford?  We can assume here the Yankees never expected the Red Sox to anti up for a second helping of top dollar additions for the 2011 season. Quite certain here the Yankees figured in the end they would just sign a big check (besting Art Moreno) to ink Carl, and were in no rush to do so. Complete blind side here.  it is a Yankee tactic to never make the first offer, they find it more sporting to top offers - letting the other teams do all the work. Rivera was an obvious choice to bring back - and the perfect gentleman not to get into the mud pit over the last dollar.  Otherwise the Yankees would have messed this up too. Derek Jeter will forever have a bruised ego, and I have seen more than enough Yankee fans hold it against him for his stance in the negotiations. In all the Yankees can make all the trade deadline moves their hearts desire as they will already be 18.5 games out of the race. A bridge to nowhere?  I doubt it.  Albert Pujols will be their target for the winter of 2011-12.
    Posted by BurritoT

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

Posted by BurritoT

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

Thanks for bumping this thread jack-azz.... good to see that while the rest of us were looking forward to the season opener for obvious reasons you were only waiting for it to play your own game.
    Posted by BurritoT

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

Posted by BurritoT

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from monroe721. Show monroe721's posts

How about the sox winning their first game before we celebrate....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

Posted by BurritoT

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

jesseyeric while it does not really bother me that you don't like my approach  I would only say it is a post meant to be somewhat true, somewhat funny, and overall it should be taken lightly.  What is more is the last thing I ever do is copy or assimilate to style of another.

heobrien did the right thing (after choosing to participate) and gave a great take on New York - thus I achieved at least one goal and got something worth reading.

Go Red Sox, and may the Gods of Baseball lay 100 consecutive years of last place finishes for the New York Yankees.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

"Check out my new baseball blog: http://billybeaneismyhero.blogspot.com " Think I'll pass on your suggestion and if you would be so kind as to cease advertising here it would be greatly appreciated.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor

Um...I'm hardly a Yankee troll.  I'm a Red Sox fan that happens to look at the baseball world in a rational manner.  I know it's shocking that a Red Sox fan might be able to look at the Yankees as something other than an evil entity, it is possible. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Thanks for all of those RS fans who stood up for the Yankees - embarrassing.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from IvanDrago. Show IvanDrago's posts

" Unless the Yankees got Crawford at a bargain, for a lot less than he eventually signed, for I've seen nothing to indicate that he was an option for the Yankees.
    Posted by heobrien

Nor will we ever know because the only way to find out is if CC was available after Lee chose Philly leaving the Yankees twisting in the wind.

Sections
Shortcuts