Re: BDC Draft results/fantasy season part 1

In Response to Re: BDC Draft results/fantasy season part 1:
    [QUOTE]Matt Kemp goes #1?
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

Yes

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

BDC Draft results/fantasy season part 1

http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/83222

Again, I assume most of us are treating this as a keeper league, keep that in mind when trading.

Game on!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

To All Managers:

There is a thread "Is This A Keeper's League" on the league home page, please check it out, it's the outline for our keeper rules, open to suggestions.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Matt Kemp goes #1?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I have an extra relief pitcher - looking for a starter

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]To All Managers: There is a thread "Is This A Keeper's League" on the league home page, please check it out, it's the outline for our keeper rules, open to suggestions.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

Good first day on the job as Commish Dragon.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: BDC Fantasy draft time is....NOW!

BDC draft is complete. Let the games begin.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]Matt Kemp goes #1?
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

No surprise here. In a league this deep, with daily lineup changes...OF is extremely thin. Kemp presents all category production at an age where players are typically still trending up. Power, average, speed, runs, RBIs...he seriously does it all from a fantasy perspective, and has no injury, or old age concerns. As far as a 'sure thing", they don't exist, but Kemp is about as close as you get. Pujols be about the only other option, but then you have to weigh the depth of OF v 1B, age, risk of injury, etc. Close call, but I don't think many people will have anything to say about Kemp being #1 when the season gets going.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I have four trade offers out there to kick things off.

I have two SS's and 2 catchers, though you'd have to wait for Monteor eligibility.

I could use a 1B and/or OF of appropriate levels.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Keeper outline:

-6 keepers. I think this lower number will encourage people to be active in the trade market and keep things interesting from year to year. But, it is enough that teams that finish well, and get a bad draft slot, should have a good core of players.

-Keepers WILL cost draft picks. I just kind of like this feature. It will force managers to make hard decisions on their players....keep Verlander and lose my 1st rounder next year? Tough call. Whoever has the worst record is unlikely to keep their 1st rounder from a year ago.

-Money. Basically, none this year, but starting next year I think we should charge a franchise fee. I think just a minimal fee around $20 should suffice, I'm really just looking to cover a fun little trophy to use year to year, and an updated engraving/plaque as the seasons go by. I would possibly be willing to foot th ebill this year, with the agreement to just cover the cost from the pot next season if that's agreeable to all.

-Draft - Defintely non-snaking, based on standings going into next year.

Is this all acceptable? Am I forgetting something?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BDC Draft results/fantasy season part 1 : Personally, I like the draft pick being tied to the player, but I can see the benefits of doing it Jessey's way.  As long as we have resolution on this issue, I'm happy.  It's holding up a potential roster move.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Let's say that my first round draft pick gets injured in Sept. and is out for the last two months. Obviously his overall numbers are not going to be where they should and my team suffers for it. Now during the offseason. his prognosis is good and I decide to keep him. Since I drafted him in the first round, I should be penalized a 1st round pick? In the meantime some one got lucky into this years draft and picked an unknown in the 20th round who turns out to be a superstar. He keeps that player; he should only be penalized his 20th round pick? 

This year is a fun league and it is up to each team owner to vie for the title this yeat while setting up serve for next year. Choose one number that all teams protect and then run the draft like the NFL.  If you as a team owner trades more wisely than I and have a better 8 than me, then that is my problem and you shouldn't be penalized for it.

Again - this is just my opinion.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I've come around to Jessey's thinking on the draft pick thing, or perhaps I finally understand it better.

I like the idea of each team keeping 6. Exactly 6. Not 7. Not 5.

Every team should easily have 6 worth keeping, and that should make cutting a few tough as well.

I agree that it should not impact the draft. The non-snaking nature of future drafts will even out the supposed imbalance of talent.

I like it...enough carry-over to keep the team feeling continuous, and enough shake-up to keep it interesting every year. Winning year to year would truly be an impressive feat.

JB3, you were on the other side with me, how's that sound to you?

Anyone object to any/all of this?

Thoughts are welcome...encouraged even!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Keeper outline: -6 keepers. I think this lower number will encourage people to be active in the trade market and keep things interesting from year to year. But, it is enough that teams that finish well, and get a bad draft slot, should have a good core of players. -Keepers WILL cost draft picks. I just kind of like this feature. It will force managers to make hard decisions on their players....keep Verlander and lose my 1st rounder next year? Tough call. Whoever has the worst record is unlikely to keep their 1st rounder from a year ago. -Money. Basically, none this year, but starting next year I think we should charge a franchise fee. I think just a minimal fee around $20 should suffice, I'm really just looking to cover a fun little trophy to use year to year, and an updated engraving/plaque as the seasons go by. I would possibly be willing to foot th ebill this year, with the agreement to just cover the cost from the pot next season if that's agreeable to all. -Draft - Defintely non-snaking, based on standings going into next year. Is this all acceptable? Am I forgetting something?

Agreed on all counts, except that it should be a max of 6 keepers (or 8 or however many).  Teams should be allowed to keep fewer at their discretion.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BDC Draft results/fantasy season part 1 : Let's say that my first round draft pick gets injured in Sept. and is out for the last two months. Obviously his overall numbers are not going to be where they should and my team suffers for it. Now during the offseason. his prognosis is good and I decide to keep him. Since I drafted him in the first round, I should be penalized a 1st round pick? In the meantime some one got lucky into this years draft and picked an unknown in the 20th round who turns out to be a superstar. He keeps that player; he should only be penalized his 20th round pick?  This year is a fun league and it is up to each team owner to vie for the title this yeat while setting up serve for next year. Choose one number that all teams protect and then run the draft like the NFL.  If you as a team owner trades more wisely than I and have a better 8 than me, then that is my problem and you shouldn't be penalized for it. Again - this is just my opinion.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Yes, People should be rewarded for making well informed picks in the late rounds.  If a player is still a first round talent following injury, then I don't see the problem with losing your 1st round pick.  If he wouldn't go in the 1st round, then don't keep him and draft him in the 2nd if you want.

You keep making comparisons to the NFL draft, but you ignore one important thing
    the NFL draft does account for people losing picks used on other players who are essentially keepers in the form of the NFL supplemental draft.  The Raiders won't have their 3rd round pick this year, because they used it in the supplemental draft last year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

After some thought, it makes sense to not do money this year. It was setu p as strictly for fun, so let's keep it that way this season.

Going forward we can charge a franchise fee, I don't think it will be a problem to fill the league.

Still trying to hammer out keeper league specifics.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

This first season will be a good "tester" so we can all see how it works out.

I'd like it if some more members chimed in one way or the other though. I won't feel too confident making a decision if there's only 3 or 4 of us debating the issue...but my hands will be tied. A decision must be made fairly soon...

so come on managers! Opinions or thoughts fly around this board freely! Share some here...I'd even take some outside advice into consideration!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BDC Draft results/fantasy season part 1 : Then the draft should be based on this specific premise. Obviously if I am keeping 8 and you are keeping 6, you should have at least two picks before I start my draft. But if we all go into the draft with the same amount of protected players, then how would you penalize picks based on protected players? If Matt Kemp wins MVP and I have him and you have Verlander and he wins the CYA, we should be penalized because of their potential value? I am not clear on this.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

The draft pick penalty would be tied to the round in which a player is drafted.  Do you want to keep Verlander if he's going to cost you your 1st round pick?  Would I want to keep Nicasio if he would cost more than my 21st round pick?  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BDC Draft results/fantasy season part 1 : Agreed on all counts, except that it should be a max of 6 keepers (or 8 or however many).  Teams should be allowed to keep fewer at their discretion.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Then the draft should be based on this specific premise. Obviously if I am keeping 8 and you are keeping 6, you should have at least two picks before I start my draft. But if we all go into the draft with the same amount of protected players, then how would you penalize picks based on protected players? If Matt Kemp wins MVP and I have him and you have Verlander and he wins the CYA, we should be penalized because of their potential value? I am not clear on this.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I am so glad I decided to bow out of this. It really sounds like you guys are talking in another language. I don't think I could even understand what you're talking about. lol

Who knew fantasy baseball was so complicated?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]I've come around to Jessey's thinking on the draft pick thing, or perhaps I finally understand it better. I like the idea of each team keeping 6. Exactly 6. Not 7. Not 5. Every team should easily have 6 worth keeping, and that should make cutting a few tough as well. I agree that it should not impact the draft. The non-snaking nature of future drafts will even out the supposed imbalance of talent. I like it...enough carry-over to keep the team feeling continuous, and enough shake-up to keep it interesting every year. Winning year to year would truly be an impressive feat. JB3, you were on the other side with me, how's that sound to you? Anyone object to any/all of this? Thoughts are welcome...encouraged even!

Personally, I like the draft pick being tied to the player, but I can see the benefits of doing it Jessey's way.  As long as we have resolution on this issue, I'm happy.  It's holding up a potential roster move.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Keeper outline: -6 keepers. I think this lower number will encourage people to be active in the trade market and keep things interesting from year to year. But, it is enough that teams that finish well, and get a bad draft slot, should have a good core of players. -Keepers WILL cost draft picks. I just kind of like this feature. It will force managers to make hard decisions on their players....keep Verlander and lose my 1st rounder next year? Tough call. Whoever has the worst record is unlikely to keep their 1st rounder from a year ago. -Money. Basically, none this year, but starting next year I think we should charge a franchise fee. I think just a minimal fee around $20 should suffice, I'm really just looking to cover a fun little trophy to use year to year, and an updated engraving/plaque as the seasons go by. I would possibly be willing to foot th ebill this year, with the agreement to just cover the cost from the pot next season if that's agreeable to all. -Draft - Defintely non-snaking, based on standings going into next year. Is this all acceptable? Am I forgetting something?

Commish - have to disagree slightly.

Losing draft picks doesn't make sense unless you are saying that you can protect anywhere from 2- 6  players. If everyone is saving 6 players, then the draft has to be equal. Now if one team is saving only two and another is saving 6, then it makes sense.  And you cannot place a value of a draft pick onto a specific player.

Also, since this is a full MLB league, I would consider upping it to at least 8 players saved..