1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: BDC Fantasy Baseball - April Edition

Thanks Dragon,

1)  We should decide this now, for the reasons that I stated over on the league board.   There isn't any benefit to waiting to sort this out.

2) I think the poll on the league board speaks to this.  If you haven't voted, feel free to do so.  I'm happy that we've gotten about 60% participation on the poll, but more is always better.

3) I'm really not too picky about this if keepers cost picks.  Otherwise I think 4 keepers would be about right, but I'm certainly not dug in on this issue.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

BDC Fantasy Baseball - April Edition

11 people have voted on the keeper cost question, 7-4 in favor of costing picks. At this point, with 7 left unvoted, I think it's safe to say the majority WOULD like some form of cost for a keeper to encourage shrewd decision making. I don't disagree, I see both sides.

Number of keepers will be up next.

I know JB doesn't want to wait to sort this out, he makes the solid point that trades now could be affected by a decision later, heck, one trade already went down that could be altered if we make big changes. So, air your thoughts here.

I figure this is the WORST CASE scenario: It's a little goofy here and there sorting everything out, and we decide to keep this as a stand alone, single season league, and all work together more than a week before NEXT season to hash out what we all think/agree to for a keeper league. That's the worst case scenario, still not very bad.

And, again, I'd like at least a majority of the league to in-some-put, it's the only fair way to sort anything out.

MAJOR POINTS OF CONTENTION:

1) Should we worry about possible keeper costs now, or wait a few months?

2) Cost of keepers (I think it's fair to say more people want some cost than not)

3) Number of keepers from season to season.

There are others things that will crop up, these are the main points at this time.

Fire away.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

In Response to Re: BDC Fantasy Baseball - April Edition:
    [QUOTE]Does anyone remember what round Montero went in?
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Round 5, 10th pick to BurritoT.  You can see the draft results if you go to Draft Central.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Does anyone remember what round Montero went in?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I think the final decision should be made a/s/a/p. Again, I think we should hold 6 or more. Holding 4 means we are just keeping the superstars and that leaves little to the imagination.

I will once again say that next years picks should have nothing to do with drafted players for next year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BDC Fantasy Baseball - April Edition : Round 5, 10th pick to BurritoT.  You can see the draft results if you go to Draft Central.
    Posted by Yukon-Cornelius[/QUOTE]

Thanks Youkon.

I have no access to our league site during the day hours.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BDC Fantasy Baseball - April Edition : Jessey, holding 4 does not necessarily mean keeping superstars if the cost of the keeper is that particular spot in the draft.  If you have a sleeper come through who you picked up in a lter round and has a great year, often times that keeper is more valuable since you are just giving up a late round pick to retain his services.  Whereas, you have to seriously weigh your #1 pick's performance and projected performance versus that lucrative #1 draft pick in any given year.  In fantasy keep leagues I have played in, its always all over the map in terms of where people's keepers are.  Of course you are going to hold on to Albert Pujols, but not all #1 studs are worth keeping, since there will be studs available in the first round of the next year's draft.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

This is my point - you are forced to choose based on positional draft of previous year instead of keeping your best all around players. I have played in more leagues that I care to count and never once did we hold a draft based on position of previous years draft and the protected players from the draft.

Again, this is just my opinion and I will go along with the majority. I would like to hear from those teams which did not yet vote in the poll on our league page.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]I think the final decision should be made a/s/a/p. Again, I think we should hold 6 or more. Holding 4 means we are just keeping the superstars and that leaves little to the imagination. I will once again say that next years picks should have nothing to do with drafted players for next year.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Jessey, holding 4 does not necessarily mean keeping superstars if the cost of the keeper is that particular spot in the draft.  If you have a sleeper come through who you picked up in a lter round and has a great year, often times that keeper is more valuable since you are just giving up a late round pick to retain his services.  Whereas, you have to seriously weigh your #1 pick's performance and projected performance versus that lucrative #1 draft pick in any given year.  In fantasy keep leagues I have played in, its always all over the map in terms of where people's keepers are.  Of course you are going to hold on to Albert Pujols, but not all #1 studs are worth keeping, since there will be studs available in the first round of the next year's draft.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I am happy... but what will turn into arguing over 2013 seems to not be good idea.  Let us see how many managers pay attention and etc., as all leagues can be tough. As you can see I participate (more than many) to the point of crazy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Lost in the shuffle?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Guys, do you want me to set up a Fantasy Baseball Board here for you?
    Posted by BDCDottie[/QUOTE]

That would be very kind of you Dottie - thanks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Guys, do you want me to set up a Fantasy Baseball Board here for you?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks Dragon, 1)  We should decide this now, for the reasons that I stated over on the league board.   There isn't any benefit to waiting to sort this out. 2) I think the poll on the league board speaks to this.  If you haven't voted, feel free to do so.  I'm happy that we've gotten about 60% participation on the poll, but more is always better. 3) I'm really not too picky about this if keepers cost picks.  Otherwise I think 4 keepers would be about right, but I'm certainly not dug in on this issue.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

On the league board I said to wait until August, but after reconsidering I agree that we should resolve this as soon as possible to make it easier for continued trading.

As far as the number of keepers, I'd say keep it lower (4 -6 at the most).  With 20 teams and say 6 keepers, we're already talking about the top 120 players being off the board when the draft comes around. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BDC Fantasy Baseball - April Edition : Jessey, holding 4 does not necessarily mean keeping superstars if the cost of the keeper is that particular spot in the draft.  If you have a sleeper come through who you picked up in a lter round and has a great year, often times that keeper is more valuable since you are just giving up a late round pick to retain his services.  Whereas, you have to seriously weigh your #1 pick's performance and projected performance versus that lucrative #1 draft pick in any given year.  In fantasy keep leagues I have played in, its always all over the map in terms of where people's keepers are.  Of course you are going to hold on to Albert Pujols, but not all #1 studs are worth keeping, since there will be studs available in the first round of the next year's draft.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Well said!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Hey look! Our own fancy little section.

Costing a pick Pros:
    -Makes decisions harder, encourages top end talent being back in the draft pot
    -Bonuses for being lucky/good and drafting a break-out talent
    -Team's who's star players flop would conceivably keep high round picks, where-as many probably will keep players from at least 2 out of the first 3 rounds. Those bad teams would have more to choose from to replace busts.

Cons:
    -Makes decisions on who to keep harder
    -Perhaps too large a rewards for drafting a prospect who DOES break out?

I can't really see any other cons.

I, personally, like the idea of breakout players coming through.

Let's use my team as an example. If everyong performs as expected, I'll be keeping:

Verlander (1st)
    Felix Hernandez (2nd)
    Gallardo (3rd)
    Weiters (6th)

The best players going back into the draft from my team are arguably Corey Hart, Chase Utley, Jordan Walden. That's nto a whole lot of talent to choose from at the beginning of a draft, even multiplying those kinds of players by 18.

But, say Luke Hochevar starts to live up to his #1 overall selection, gets 180+ Ks and 12/13 wins...then I'd have a decision to make. Keep Gallardo and give up my 3rd, or keep Hochevar and only love my 20th, while also making Gallardo, a fairly solid 200k pitcher, available to the league.

Also, when I was setting up the league, I noticed I could "assign keepers" to a particular draft pick. Essentially, if I keep Verlander at the cost of my 1st, when we draft next year, regardless of what 1st round slot I have, my pick will automatically be Verlander, I won't have the ability to change it at that point, yahoo will auto-pick him for me. That means we would always have the same amount of rounds to draft in. I hope that's not too confusing, a third round pick could essentially be the first "live" pick if every team kept every 1st and 2nd rounder.

I like keeper costs, I've gone back and forth throughout the argument, but have settled on firmly believing we should have a cost. That seems to be the majority, I think another 24 hours ought to be enough chance for people to pipe in either at Yahoo or here.

It's also seeming like 4 keepers would be a number most would be comfortable with. Seems like a good number, too many more and one team could really dominate for a few years at a time with how thinned out the talent pool is in this league. Don't forget the 18 managers, I know I haven't done one this big, it seems like most have been in 12ish person leagues. 18 drastically changes everything.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Aceves is now the closer for the Sox. I will be hard pressed to root for him. Perhaps a swap for Mo is in order and cosidering Mo's age and impending breakdown, I think this is a wonderful idea Tongue out

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

24 has come and gone.

Last call!

Outline that seems to be the majority:

-Four (4) keepers
    -Cost of keeper WILL be round drafted (meaning FA pickups NOT available to be kept), cost follows traded players (keep that in mind if you end up with two 2nd round players, you can only keep one unless you trade for someone else's 2nd rounder as well)

I think (emphasis on the think) this will allow enough continuity to make sense while also offering enough talent in the draft pool year to year.

LAST CALL LAST CALL!

After tonight, I think we should just put this to rest for the season. It may reasonably take a few seasons to iron out all the little nuances.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

So in order to keep a player, do you have to have him all year?  I have Salvador Perez, aho is probably worth keeping since he is a catcher who can hit and I got him in the 16th round.  However, with one DL slot, is it worth it when the other inevitable injuries kick in?

Also, can we get another DL slot?  There are going ot be times we have 4 or 5 injuries at once...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]So in order to keep a player, do you have to have him all year?  I have Salvador Perez, aho is probably worth keeping since he is a catcher who can hit and I got him in the 16th round.  However, with one DL slot, is it worth it when the other inevitable injuries kick in? Also, can we get another DL slot?  There are going ot be times we have 4 or 5 injuries at once...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that the player would have to be on the roster all year, although I'd be open to making an exception for this season because of the DL situation.  It would still need to be a drafted player however.

Unfortunately, after the draft no roster changes can be made by the commish concerning DL spots, or any other position.  That issue has been filed away for next season.

Sections
Shortcuts