1. You have chosen to ignore posts from George-Hayduke. Show George-Hayduke's posts

Friday, 8/31 Game vs. Oakland As

Well, just like last night, there are no comments allowed for the game tonight. So I figured I would try to start a thread here as was suggested. Hopefully some of the regulars will show up. (Except you-know-who the you-know-what.)

And let me be the first to say- I hate, hate, HATE this new format.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from George-Hayduke. Show George-Hayduke's posts

Re: Friday, 8/31 Game vs. Oakland As

RHP Aaron Cook (3-7, 4.76) vs. RHP Brandon McCarthy (7-5, 3.12), 10:05 p.m

I have a feeling that with the late night start from the West Coast, coupled with the usual message board being down, this is going to be an all-time low for the in-game discussions tonight.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from George-Hayduke. Show George-Hayduke's posts

I'm going to repost this from Pete, because it usually goes at the top of the comments for every game__________

Good afternoon. Here is a preview of the game tonight:

RED SOX (62-70)
    Podsednik LF
    Pedroia 2B
    Ellsbury CF
    Ross RF
    Loney 1B
    Saltalamacchia C
    Aviles DH
    Ciriaco 3B
    Iglesias SS
    Pitching: RHP Aaron Cook (3-7, 4.76)

ATHLETICS (73-57)
    Crisp CF
    Drew SS
    Reddick RF
    Cespedes LF
    Moss 1B
    Gomes DH
    Donaldson 3B
    Kottaras C
    Pennington 2B
    Pitching: RHP Brandon McCarthy (7-5, 3.12)

Game time: 10:05 p.m.

TV/Radio: NESN / WEEI

Red Sox vs. McCarthy: Pedroia 2-9, Aviles 0-7, Ellsbury 2-4, Loney 0-3, Ros 0-3, Salty 1-3, Podsednik 0-2.

Athletics vs. Cook: Drew 13-38, Gomes 7-14, Kottaras 2-8, Crisp 3-7, Moss 4-4, Rosales 1-3, Cespedes 1-3, Norris 0-3, Pennington 0-3, Reddick 1-2, Smith 0-3.

Stat of the Day: Pedroia has hitt safely in 23 of the last 24 games at .357 (35 for 98) with 12 doubles, one triple, three homers, 15 RBI and 19 runs. Pedroia also has a 10 straight at 14 of 42. He leads the majors with 12 doubles and is tied for second in the AL with 16 extra-base hits in August.
    Notes: The Sox have lost three straight and eight of 11. ... The Sox are 1-5 against the Athletics despite getting outscored only 27-21. ... The Sox are 35-36 against the Athletics the last eight years, 12-21 at Oakland Coliseum. ... Cook is 1-6, 4.91 in his last nine starts. He faced Oakland on July 4 and allowed three runs on nine hits over six innings. ... McCarthy is 2-3, 5.23 in eight career appearances against the Sox. He beat them May 2, allowing one run over 6.2 innings. ... Loney has hitt safely in each of his first five games with Boston. He also has an RBI in each of his first four starts with the Sox, the first player to accomplish that feat since 1995 when Jose Canseco and Matt Stairs both did it.

Song of the Day: "Big Tears" by Elvis Costello.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Is anyone on the east coast going to stay up and watch the game tonight?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lstboss. Show lstboss's posts

In response to parhunter55 comment:

Is anyone on the east coast going to stay up and watch the game tonight?

Not me, going fishing in the morning

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ken603. Show ken603's posts

In response to George-Hayduke's comment:

I'm going to repost this from Pete, because it usually goes at the top of the comments for every game__________

Good afternoon. Here is a preview of the game tonight:

RED SOX (62-70)
    Podsednik LF
    Pedroia 2B
    Ellsbury CF
    Ross RF
    Loney 1B
    Saltalamacchia C
    Aviles DH
    Ciriaco 3B
    Iglesias SS
    Pitching: RHP Aaron Cook (3-7, 4.76)

ATHLETICS (73-57)
    Crisp CF
    Drew SS
    Reddick RF
    Cespedes LF
    Moss 1B
    Gomes DH
    Donaldson 3B
    Kottaras C
    Pennington 2B
    Pitching: RHP Brandon McCarthy (7-5, 3.12)

Game time: 10:05 p.m.

TV/Radio: NESN / WEEI

Red Sox vs. McCarthy: Pedroia 2-9, Aviles 0-7, Ellsbury 2-4, Loney 0-3, Ros 0-3, Salty 1-3, Podsednik 0-2.

Athletics vs. Cook: Drew 13-38, Gomes 7-14, Kottaras 2-8, Crisp 3-7, Moss 4-4, Rosales 1-3, Cespedes 1-3, Norris 0-3, Pennington 0-3, Reddick 1-2, Smith 0-3.

Stat of the Day: Pedroia has hitt safely in 23 of the last 24 games at .357 (35 for 98) with 12 doubles, one triple, three homers, 15 RBI and 19 runs. Pedroia also has a 10 straight at 14 of 42. He leads the majors with 12 doubles and is tied for second in the AL with 16 extra-base hits in August.
    Notes: The Sox have lost three straight and eight of 11. ... The Sox are 1-5 against the Athletics despite getting outscored only 27-21. ... The Sox are 35-36 against the Athletics the last eight years, 12-21 at Oakland Coliseum. ... Cook is 1-6, 4.91 in his last nine starts. He faced Oakland on July 4 and allowed three runs on nine hits over six innings. ... McCarthy is 2-3, 5.23 in eight career appearances against the Sox. He beat them May 2, allowing one run over 6.2 innings. ... Loney has hitt safely in each of his first five games with Boston. He also has an RBI in each of his first four starts with the Sox, the first player to accomplish that feat since 1995 when Jose Canseco and Matt Stairs both did it.

Song of the Day: "Big Tears" by Elvis Costello.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ken603. Show ken603's posts

@george hd-  yeah, this format is for the birds-can't wait for the old comment board to reappear-thought something was wrong with my computer.

I hate these west coast swings.  I can't stay awake for the 10 pm games.  At least there'll be some 4 oclockers tomorrow and Sun

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

9:05 pm on Saturday, 4:05 pm on Sunday and Monday

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from George-Hayduke. Show George-Hayduke's posts

Problem is that once the old board returns, it won't be the old board. There is a format change, and it is returning as something like this one.

In response to ken603' 
    comment:

@george hd-  yeah, this format is for the birds-can't wait for the old comment board to reappear-thought something was wrong with my computer.

I hate these west coast swings.  I can't stay awake for the 10 pm games.  At least there'll be some 4 oclockers tomorrow and Sun

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from George-Hayduke. Show George-Hayduke's posts

For some reason, this board won't let you post an apostrophe. And even better, try answering this question and see if you can post it...

When the batter strikes the ball, it lands in fair territory, and the batter makes it to First Base before the throw, that is known as a base __________ ?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ken603. Show ken603's posts

nope, wouldn't let me post it.  sigh.  If they're trying to kill participation on these comments...mission accomplished.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from George-Hayduke. Show George-Hayduke's posts

Awe, c'mon Ken. Think of how much fun it's going to be to find out all the words the Globe won't let us post in this wonderful new format. :-)

(And what the heck is wrong with an apostrohe anyway?)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from George-Hayduke. Show George-Hayduke's posts

Nevermind. The old board is back up and running, albeit in a new format.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Try filling in the blank on this call, and see if you can post it:  "Ross hits a sharp grounder though the shortstop __ __ __ __ for a single."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from George-Hayduke. Show George-Hayduke's posts

gap

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Why are they running stiffs like Cook out there, again? He hasn't got diddly, and some guy from Portland could be getting his feet wet.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Cook is toast. 4 straight hits and it's  4 zippy. This team's pitching is appalingly bad.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to Friday, 8/31 Game vs. Oakland As:

For some reason, this board won't let you post an apostrophe. And even better, try answering this question and see if you can post it...

When the batter strikes the ball, it lands in fair territory, and the batter makes it to First Base before the throw, that is known as a base __________ ?

LOL... I didn't believe you til I tried it myself. That is hilarious!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

This team absolutely is atrocious. I cannot wait until this season is over. I am glad for my 49ers who are suppose to be up and coming. I have been so disgusted that I even tried to cancel my MLB Package but there was no gain to get out of it.  If this team does not do anything to improve in the off season, I am not wasting my money on the MLB Package for next year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

This guy is about as dependable as Wakefield was last year.

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

Why are they running stiffs like Cook out there, again? He hasn't got diddly, and some guy from Portland could be getting his feet wet.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Way past my bedtime and Im watching this fiasco.  Only bright spot I see is Tazawa.  As for Lester being claimed on waivers.....no crying towel needed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I went to post, "would a grand slam be more perfect," but I wasn't logged in!  dang!

THAT ACTUALLY FELT PRETTY GOOD!  :)  Good on ya Reddick!

Who says Red Sox suck?  Some are doing pretty well.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Could things get any lower?

It's time for bobby to go!  At least I MIGHT ACTUALLY WATCH a game if I didn't have to see his pathetic face constantly looking hangdog in the dugout.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I'm trying to figure out how Melancon is in the majors. He is flat terrible