1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Umpires Under Orders?

Watched a few innings of todays Rays-Yankees game (ExtraInnings. This is also happening elsewhere (in Boston and NY, anyway);

First hitter (Jennings) first pitch outside by at least 2 inches strike one; second pitch same spot--strike two. third pitch same spot on a bit lower, Jennings dribbles it off the end of the bat to short. Infield hit. The fierce looks he gave the umpire after the first two strikes was obvious. T o me it's also obvious the umpires are calling anything near the plate (inside or outside) a strike. They think this will speed up the game (also witness the quickness with the call to NY on Pedroia last night---did they even call NY). Now the umps aren't being partial. Jeter is getting the same treatment as XB or Pedroia. It's so obvious, I do not understand why managers aren't talking about it. Or why baseball writers are not talking about it! The first couple pitches of the game last night (inside to Holt-called strikes), and I'm anxious see what happens tonight. Am I being paranoid? Or is this obvious to others?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Re: Umpires Under Orders?

In response to bosoxmal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Watched a few innings of todays Rays-Yankees game (ExtraInnings. This is also happening elsewhere (in Boston and NY, anyway);

First hitter (Jennings) first pitch outside by at least 2 inches strike one; second pitch same spot--strike two. third pitch same spot on a bit lower, Jennings dribbles it off the end of the bat to short. Infield hit. The fierce looks he gave the umpire after the first two strikes was obvious. T o me it's also obvious the umpires are calling anything near the plate (inside or outside) a strike. They think this will speed up the game (also witness the quickness with the call to NY on Pedroia last night---did they even call NY). Now the umps aren't being partial. Jeter is getting the same treatment as XB or Pedroia. It's so obvious, I do not understand why managers aren't talking about it. Or why baseball writers are not talking about it! The first couple pitches of the game last night (inside to Holt-called strikes), and I'm anxious see what happens tonight. Am I being paranoid? Or is this obvious to others?

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure speeding up the game has been preached to the umpires, but I believe each ump has his own strike zone. I also believe some umps are so terrible that they s/b sent down. To HELL.

On a more definite change to speed up something, as most of you probably know by now, during the nail-biting HR DERBY, the outs have been reduced to 7. Since steroids have been MIA, HR DERBY isn't as impressive as it used to be. Maybe the powers that be should let the DERBY participants take PEDS just for that event. And also for the celebrity softball game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Pretty sure NY was already looking at the game ending play in anticipation of an appeal.  That's why the verdict came down so quickly.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

The Strikezones suck fire the HP Umps and just use Amica! The pitchers are being given the Livan Hernandez treatment, but not the sox pitchers they are being given rookie status strikezones. MLB controlling the out come of games by manipulating the Strike zones. Also Pedey was safe last night, his heal hit the bag before the ball is caught.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I have assumed that the umpires are under orders to speed things up this year...but unfortunately...widening the strike zone isn't cutting it. Last night's game was 4 hours and they continue to be ridiculously long. What they should do to speed the game up is to disallow the constant time outs and stepping out of the batter's box.

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Short of enforcing the 12 sec. rule for pitchers and the batters keeping a foot in the batters box between pitches-----they have to do something to keep the games at 3 hours or less. I honestly don't care about time , I like the strategy so if that means I have to put up with mound visits every inning or long signs or whatever it takes so be it.

Sections
Shortcuts