1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Under the Lights

On June 13, 1947, the first night game was played at Fenway Park. Then owner..Tom Yawkey agreed to have lights installed at Fenway and to begin night games in an effort to compete with the nearby home of the Boston Braves..Braves Stadium.

Yawkey..an true baseball man didn’t believe in all the bells and whistles that the National League Boston Braves were adding to games in order to entice fans..such as fireworks, music, fried clams and neon foul poles..however he did acknowledge that something needed to be done in order to compete in the years after the second World War.

The first night game at Fenway was played against the Chicago White Sox and featured the likes of shortstop Johnny Pesky , left fielder Ted Williams and 2nd baseman Bobby Doerr .  Yawkey is quoted as stating that these guys would provide all the fireworks Fenway needed.

The Red Sox won that first night game and game re-caps in the Chicago Tribune cited the glare of the lights as a contributing factor to the White Sox loss.

It would be another 3 years before night games were a regular occurrence at Fenway part as the owners worked to eliminate some of the issues cause by the glare of the lights as well as local neon signs.  I wonder how Tom Yawkey and some of the old greats feel about all the “bells and whistles” that now come with the Fenway experience.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: Under the Lights

Sorry..I did not know this about Yawkey.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

wow...that is awful....

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Are you kidding me..? I would love to have 2 teams in Boston...I have always liked the Braves anyhow..so them staying in Boston would have been fine with me. It was probably short sighted of him not to want to share the field..could you imagine  the boost that would bring to Boston today..? Although if Boston had two teams..I would rather see two fields...foster a little competition..lol

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Hi AlongtheCharles...
    I agree that they would have been great additions and did not know that about Yawkey.

Could Boston handle two teams? I think the answere is YES!! The more the merrier and I don't believe in monopolies anyhow.