" It wasn't in God's plan" Really? Adrian Gonzalez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Re: " It wasn't in God's plan" Really? Adrian Gonzalez

In Response to Re: " It wasn't in God's plan" Really? Adrian Gonzalez:
    There are far more important issues than the Sox. I'm sad that they lost. God is still sovereign, loving, jealous (among other things) and patient. Adrian Gonzalez may be paid by the Red Sox (I'd say he earned his pay this year...) but if his open faith in the creator of the universe is where the "chemistry issue" in the clubhouse starts? I'd say the Sox have bigger issues than not being in the 2011 MLB playoffs.
    Posted by WesternOregon

Are you saying Jo Boo can't hit a curveball?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Bottom line, folks....
    God sat out 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, the Sunami in Asia, so does anyone really think he's intercede in a baseball game?
    Seriously.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

In Response to Re: " It wasn't in God's plan" Really? Adrian Gonzalez : Perhaps what you saw was the diffrence between a man who's perspective is timeless versus those who actually think what they do is of some relevant importance.
    Posted by WesternOregon

That is exactly what i saw, and that is the problem I had with it. I like the way it is important for Pedroia. I think that the timeless perspective is bunk.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1387537. Show user_1387537's posts

I beleive God has a plan, it just isnt about baseball. I like it when players point to the sky when they hit homeruns and cross the plate, that is a way of saying thank you to god for giving me the talent, not thanking god for making sure the fast ball went right down the middle and the wind was blowing out to left and thats why it was a homerun. These players develope their god given talents and they should be respected for that. Hopefully with their successes they will improve the lives of others, wether in their own family or the community, maybe thats why god gives them talent. It is disrespectful for soemeone to blame god for their OWN failures. They lost, they were beaten by a terrible team. I remember the commercial where Michael Jordan says he has missed the final shot many many times, and he says I have failed over and over again, that is why I succeed. If you don't recognize your own role in your failures you will never grow from it. Never.

I saw a player that did not want to accept the fact that he contributed to the overall failure, its a team effort, win or lose.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1387537. Show user_1387537's posts

Agon was on base 4 F*ING TIMES last night.    If you bad mouth him you are either a moron or just a clown who can't take losing. You guys mare making me ill.  Agon is a very religious man who worked his butt off all year for this team.  I am NOT religious at all.  But I respect how other people look at the world.  When somebody dies, Christians also say that is "God's will".   This thread is a disgrace. So blow it out your azzes, you ingrates, this is AMERICA not Nazi Germany.  People are allowed to say what they want and believe what they want here.
    Posted by soxmeister

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: " It wasn't in God's plan" Really? Adrian Gonzalez : Are you saying Jo Boo can't hit a curveball?
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

F-U Jo Boo ...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1387537. Show user_1387537's posts

In Response to Re: " It wasn't in God's plan" Really? Adrian Gonzalez :
    Posted by cc4eea542e5e3dce2921d77edfa2c706

I am 100% behind anyone who has faith or no faith to say whatever they want. I just don't agree that God had ANYTHING to do with the outcome of that baseball game or any other baseball game.Since this is not Nazi Germany why do I have to be called a Nazi for saying whatever I want. I would be careful about throwing around fear mongering terms like Nazi, you really really show your lack of intelligence when you do.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

A- God.

nobody looks to the sky when they k.

they just feel forsaken i suppose.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1387537. Show user_1387537's posts

Why would I?In Response to Re: " It wasn't in God's plan" Really? Adrian Gonzalez:
    In Response to " It wasn't in God's plan" Really? Adrian Gonzalez : Shut your God DAM mouth
    Posted by donrd4

Why would I? Why you so angry?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Yip. Here it is, I KNEW it. As soon as he said that, I knew somebody would write an article slamming him for, and someone would start a thread doing the same. This is much ado about nothing folks, it's  a simple misunderstanding borne out of the fact that Adrian is a Christian man who takes his beliefs seriously, while the population at large gives such things little thought. Hence, this is all being taken the wrong way. It's not a cop out, it's not shifting blame, it's not "blaming God" (ridiculous), it's just Adrian's way of saying he doesn't understand why all this happened just yet, but he's moving on knowing that God is in control of his life, and all he can do is his best and leave the rest in God's hands. I am a Christian myself, and I take God very seriously. I give a great deal of thought to what his will and plan may be for my life, and I seek him. Now, Adrain claims to do this too, and taking him at face value, we need to understand all this before we pass judgement ignorantly. Most people in the world are going about their business seeking the things they want with very little if any thought of God at all. What I saw last night was a man who was emotionally devastated by what he just saw (as we all were), and was trying to explain it in his own terms--and with almost no time to digest what had just happened and make a flowery speech. God probably does not affect the outcome of ball games just becaus he wants a certain team to win. He WOULD, however, do so in light of the effect it may have on the lives of the people it touches, and it certainly touches Adrian's life does it not? Now, how all that connects with other players, and all us fans (because if something related to his job happens in HIS life, it affects millions of us) is something I don't totally understand, but I'm not God, and I don't have all the answers. But can I take a stab at it? Sports in our society has ascended to the level of idolatry. We shower praise and adoration on these athletes, and spend much of our time "worshipping" them with our time and money. Most people out there won't go to church, but they'll spend three hours a night in worship service in front of the tv or computer watching games. I myself am guilty, and one of the things I'm learning through this "tragedy", is that I'm spending more time with my idols than I am with God. And that brings me back to my original point. We all have a lot to learn don't we? And we all have stock to take about the things in our lives and what's important to us. We will gripe and complain about whether or not Adrian Gonzalez is a fake/cop out, and rip Crawford for not diving for a ball, but what positive change are we contributing to the world around us, and our families? Could it possibly be that baseball is not NUMBER ONE in Adrian Gonzalez' life? He said the day he singed with us that in his life, Christ was number one, family number two, and baseball number three. His comments yesterday were exactly consistent with that, and were what I'd expect from a man claiming to be a Christian, and trying to live that out, at least in so far as we know. I know that's sacrelige around these parts, but that's kind of my point. We worship everything--money, power, possessions, athletes, movie stars, self, careers, education, and etc., but God himself is rarely so much as given a thought. Too caught up in ourselves. Could he have been better in the clutch? Yes. Could he have stepped it up more in Aug/Sep? Yes, and I'm sure no one knows that more than him. But ripping him for "blaming God" as the article on this site does is pure ignorance. Now some of you will come on here and rip ME for saying this, and that's fine--it's a free country, you have the right. But just think that maybe Adrian has other fish in the pan that are bigger than Red Sox Nation, and that we should also. We need to do what he said he was going to do. Pick ourselves up, brush off the garbage, move on, learn from this and look forward to what we need to do to get a winning team next year. For the fiscal/sports organization called "The Boston Red Sox" that means putting a winning effort and winning team on the baseball field. For the rest of us, that means living our lives every moment for the glory of God, and the forwarding of his program. If you don't like that and would rather live for yourself, then that's your perrogative. Go for it, "but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord". I can only speak for myself, and my "winning team" consists totally of fulfilling God's purpose for my life, so that when I leave this world I'll have accomplished what I was intended to. I'm sure Adrian feels the same way.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

great post exam. like you, as soon as i heard it I thought oh, here we go. He is sincere in his religious beliefs and has made it perfectly clear what they are. nothing phony about it. whether people agree with it or not, i fail to see why he would or should be criticized for it. and people wonder why some players dont want to play in a big market.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1387537. Show user_1387537's posts

I think Adrian Gonzalez has great talent and has a sincere faith in God. Who am I to doubt that. I am sure he has had experiences in his life that have lead him to a profund life in his belief in God.

I was NOT shocked by this, nor should anyone who has seen the fall coming for a month. Because we are affected by the outcome of the game, some more than others doesn't mean that God had anything to do with it. He has NO PLAN for baseball games or anything in sports, except for, if anything allowing those that profit from the game to spread goodwill. Other than that, I don't think God really cares.

If he is looking for a profound reason for the loss, a godly reason h e could be looking for the answer for a long time. But hey, its his journey. Just dont bring god into the conversation of why you win or lose a ball game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

great post exam. like you, as soon as i heard it I thought oh, here we go. He is sincere in his religious beliefs and has made it perfectly clear what they are. nothing phony about it. whether people agree with it or not, i fail to see why he would or should be criticized for it. and people wonder why some players dont want to play in a big market.
    Posted by J-BAY

Thanks j. It's been very painful, but I think the organization will be better for it, just like it was better for 03 and all that pain. We've become the thing we hate: the New York Yankees--arrogant and complacent, while the Yankees took lessons from what we WERE and changed into that. Brian Cashman himself said that just the other day. Firing everyone (maybe Bogar) is probably not the answer, but I'm sure Theo and John will do their best to take stock of the team and find out what went wrong. We need to re-sign Papi, Papelbon, and maybe Scutaro, then find one top notch starter, and a good right handed hitting OF. I'm not as worried about the "stain" setting in and ruining the team for years to come. 04 didn't ruin NYY, it inspired them to do better. We will do likewise. This team has won before, and needs to get back to it's roots. What made the 04 team good was that it didn't CARE about "the curse", it just went out and played baseball. The 07 team was good because a lot of the 04'ers were still on there leading the way, and more importantly, that team was also healthy. There are only 2 of those guys on this team now, maybe 3 if you count Youk who was an also ran back then. So, SP, r OF, conditioning, team chemistry/leadership in the clubhouse need to be addressed IMO. They will take care of it, and be competitive next year.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I think Adrian Gonzalez has great talent and has a sincere faith in God. Who am I to doubt that. I am sure he has had experiences in his life that have lead him to a profund life in his belief in God. I was NOT shocked by this, nor should anyone who has seen the fall coming for a month. Because we are affected by the outcome of the game, some more than others doesn't mean that God had anything to do with it. He has NO PLAN for baseball games or anything in sports, except for, if anything allowing those that profit from the game to spread goodwill. Other than that, I don't think God really cares. If he is looking for a profound reason for the loss, a godly reason h e could be looking for the answer for a long time. But hey, its his journey. Just dont bring god into the conversation of why you win or lose a ball game.
    Posted by cc4eea542e5e3dce2921d77edfa2c706

I agree with most of what you said. I don't think God cares about wins and losses, except only in what he can bring about because of it. I don't agree that he could be waiting for a long time for the WHY's of it. You have to remember that that could be something that he comes to understand and never tells us because it's for him and him only. You just never know. The only criticism that I personally would send his way is that, understanding the world as I do, and knowing that people would be apt to misunderstand, I would have stated it differently than he did. But you also have to consider that he was very hurt at the time, and no doubt emotionally raw. It had just happened, and there was no time to prepare something that came across exactly reflecting everything he intended to communicate. He expressed it pretty good with that in mind. Did you see Papelbon's interview? He had a hard time answering the questions because he just couldn't find the words. In that light, Adrian was very gracious and answered pretty well all things considered. Unfortunately, his thoughts will be taken wrong by people who are themselves raw and looknig for someone to pin the loss on. It'll all even out, we'll get over it and be cheering just as loud next year. The Sox will be fine! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: " It wasn't in God's plan" Really? Adrian Gonzalez : Thanks j. It's been very painful, but I think the organization will be better for it, just like it was better for 03 and all that pain. We've become the thing we hate: the New York Yankees--arrogant and complacent, while the Yankees took lessons from what we WERE and changed into that. Brian Cashman himself said that just the other day. Firing everyone (maybe Bogar) is probably not the answer, but I'm sure Theo and John will do their best to take stock of the team and find out what went wrong. We need to re-sign Papi, Papelbon, and maybe Scutaro, then find one top notch starter, and a good right handed hitting OF. I'm not as worried about the "stain" setting in and ruining the team for years to come. 04 didn't ruin NYY, it inspired them to do better. We will do likewise. This team has won before, and needs to get back to it's roots. What made the 04 team good was that it didn't CARE about "the curse", it just went out and played baseball. The 07 team was good because a lot of the 04'ers were still on there leading the way, and more importantly, that team was also healthy. There are only 2 of those guys on this team now, maybe 3 if you count Youk who was an also ran back then. So, SP, r OF, conditioning, team chemistry/leadership in the clubhouse need to be addressed IMO. They will take care of it, and be competitive next year.   
    Posted by TheExaminer

the end of the season is always tough, this made it that much worse. to lose to a walk off and tampa win in the same fashion to end our season was stunning. couldnt believe what went on here,  some people should have mental evaluations before given a computer. I think the sox thought they had to follow the yankees way of doing things to keep pace. the sox have 10 days to pick up Francona option. should be an interesting hot stove. papi and paps are both free agents. what to do with Youk at third,  RF is vacant. the catching situation is still not solidified.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: " It wasn't in God's plan" Really? Adrian Gonzalez : the end of the season is always sad, this makes it all that much worse. to lose to a walk off and tampa win in the same fashion  to end our season was stunning. couldnt believe what went on here, but should have. some people should have mental evaluations before given a computer. I think the sox thought they had to follow the yankees way of doing things to keep pace. the sox have 10 days to pick up Francona option. should be an interesting hot stove. papi and paps are both free agents. what to do with Youk at third,  RF is vacant. the catching situation is still not solidified.
    Posted by J-BAY

Yeah, we'll see. Papelbon's state of mind really worries me. His comments that he was "pumped" and was overthrowing the ball are a problem. If he knew that, why did he not adjust and simmer down when trouble started? Go to the resin bag, take a walk around the mound like Rany Meyers used do do. That's why Mo is so good, he never gets emotional during a save situation. Pap's too emotional sometimes, needs to go on the situation at hand rather than adrenalin. But that being said, ironically, I think blowing that game might make it more likely he re-signs with the Sox. I'm sure he feels he has unfinished business. Youk would be fine if we could keep him healthy, and I hate to see Scut go, like to see him stay. He's a gamer. I'm up in the air about Tito, I can see pros/cons either way. Is he Grady Little now? Maybe, hard to tell, but I think his management style could use some tweaking. Tom Coughlin made changes like that and won a SB. And, in 97 the Broncos suffered an unexpected blowout loss as the #1 seed to Jacksonville, and there were similar things being said about that team. They sucked it up, and won the next 2 SB's. Then the Bruins, what a difference a year makes! So it can be done. I'm just sorry we have to wait 6 mo's to see it. I think getting off to a good start next year is important. The 07 team did that, and we haven't done it since.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Hes better then Texiera and had a monster year just didnt hit that many dingers. Really people i know we lost but Geez

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

,Effort or lack of it, in getting into shape,   on improving their game  on do the little things right  hurt this team.. I at firt thought AGon was soft spoken -- but  now I believe he is just plain soft. We tried, we failed  oh well  that's a San Diego attitude    NOT a Boston attitude.
    Posted by jackyldo

I think you have hit on the real issue here........well done jacky

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Hes better then Texiera and had a monster year just didnt hit that many dingers. Really people i know we lost but Geez
    Posted by RSF4Life234

Yip. He hit over .330, what more could he do other than hit a few more HR's?--which he will do next year when his shoulder has a full off season to settle in. The clutch hitting will follow when he gets back to his normal self. I also think Crawford will be much improved next year. He works too hard not to. Just needs to get his head back on straight--which may not be easy, but can be done.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

I agree TheExaminer, was this loss tough yes, every loss is tough, but jees people it was an entertaining season. I see this thread going after Gonzalez, there was another thread about beckett, i just really dont get why so many people are hating on the few bright spots this year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Thoughts from one of the few pure geniuses and gifted minds on the forum

I know many of you have admired my work over the past few years and will continue to appreciate my contributions to this forum. Now I know that I am capable of handling the GM position of the Boston Red Sox and here's how I would clean up this mess. 1. hire Bobby Valentine. 2. Fire the medical staff as well as the trainers. 3. If Ortiz agrees to a 2 year deal, trade youk to the brewers (assuming fielder walks. Reload with prospects) 4. Let Paps walk and bring in a few cheaper options. Maybe even have aceves as a closer candidate? 5. Plug rf with kalish reddick and a low cost righty bat. 6. Get rid of Jed (weak fly balls) Lowrie. 7 keep Aviles and try to bring back Scutaro with his option. See if anyone would take lackey while paying a minimum of 25% of his remaining contract. If not suck it up and keep him. 7. Get Crawford right. He'll never be a 140 mil player but he can be a good one IMO. 8. Consider aramid Ramirez as a stop gap for middlebrooks. 9. Sign a few bargain starters as always. 10. Save the money for the 2012 free agent class.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Thoughts from one of the few pure geniuses and gifted minds on the forum

In Response to Thoughts from one of the few pure geniuses and gifted minds on the forum:
    I know many of you have admired my work over the past few years and will continue to appreciate my contributions to this forum. Now I know that I am capable of handling the GM position of the Boston Red Sox and here's how I would clean up this mess. 1. hire Bobby Valentine. 2. Fire the medical staff as well as the trainers. 3. If Ortiz agrees to a 2 year deal, trade youk to the brewers (assuming fielder walks. Reload with prospects) 4. Let Paps walk and bring in a few cheaper options. Maybe even have aceves as a closer candidate? 5. Plug rf with kalish reddick and a low cost righty bat. 6. Get rid of Jed (weak fly balls) Lowrie. 7 keep Aviles and try to bring back Scutaro with his option. See if anyone would take lackey while paying a minimum of 25% of his remaining contract. If not suck it up and keep him. 7. Get Crawford right. He'll never be a 140 mil player but he can be a good one IMO. 8. Consider aramid Ramirez as a stop gap for middlebrooks. 9. Sign a few bargain starters as always. 10. Save the money for the 2012 free agent class.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

Yeah, not a bad plan SPC. The only thing I'd tweak is that I'd lean more towards taking a good look at C. J. Wilson, or someone like him. I'm not big on Sabathia because I'm not sure how much he's got left with the way NYY have abused him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

Re: Thoughts from one of the few pure geniuses and gifted minds on the forum

In Response to Thoughts from one of the few pure geniuses and gifted minds on the forum:
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

I don't see much in what you said that is going to improve where they are at.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Carl Crawford said all the right things afterward in taking responsibility for himself.  Adrian Gonzalez invoked God into his comments.  No matter how you feel about these comments, they can't reverse their performances and the outcome of the game.  If Adrian Gonzalez had four hits and two home runs in a Red Sox victory and then commented on it being part of God's plan as well, I doubt there would be any righteous indignation expressed about it, except perhaps by some spiteful Rays' fan who may happen to be passing by these boards.

Sections
Shortcuts