" It wasn't in God's plan" Really? Adrian Gonzalez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1387537. Show user_1387537's posts

" It wasn't in God's plan" Really? Adrian Gonzalez

"It wasn't in Gods plan for us to win it"? Adrian Gonzalez

posted at 9/29/2011 9:20 AM EDT

First: 12/13/2007
    Last: 9/29/2011
    I wonder iif he was saying to Theo and Henry when he was negotiating his contract for millions upon millions of dollars, it is all up to god? You mean it was up to god to give Adrian the talent so he can make millions, while others make $30,000 a year? That is gods plan too? And if you pay me millions upon millions I will go ride gods boat down stream and never have to FIGHT to win, because I have a get out of hard work pass from God?

That's not the God I believe in. The God I believe in doesn't pick world series champions, he is a little too busy to control such trivial matters as who wins the World series or who makes the playoffs. He may, and I mean may give us talent to do something when we are born, I think thats about as far as it goes.

Failure is Gods fault? If I bend down and bump my head on a table thats gods fault too? If it wasn't gods fault, it was the injuries fault? Every contender had significant injuries to its pitching and lineup. Yo Adrian, I got a clue for you, It is YOUR FAULT and every other player that didn't get in shape, hustle out a play and run the bases like a professional. My 85 year old mother would at least hustle down the baseline. Not jog her way into a double play. But hey my mother never knew it was pre-ordained that it was going to be a double play no matter how hard she tried.

It is Francona's fault for not being able to manage situations on the field and situations with players. Michael Vick is playing quarterback this weekend and he has a broken hand, a BROKEN HAND! Did he say" I cant play because God doesn't want me to win or I am hurt?

Crawford didn't realize you play in a few steps to STOP the winning run from scoring on a single, because if it is over your head the game is over anyway? I watched both games last night, I watched one manager give his team a reason to keep playing hard, by making situational move after situational move, which if anything at all it does is it communicates to the players I STILL believe we can win, even if we are down 7 runs against one of the best teams in baseball. While the other manager watched runners run with complete incompetence, and hitters at the plate who should not have been hitting in the situation they were in. I watched arrogant pitchers who appeared shocked when the other team got a hit against them or hit a homerun against them. Can some one, anyone please ANYONE tell Lester to Hurry up? Get it in gear?

All in all, this Sox team didn't give a crap about winning, they gave a crap about contracts, paychecks, being comfortable and divorcing their wives when they have cancer. I feel bad for hustle players like Youk, Pedroia and Ellsbury, all players who play their hearts out. By the way, they are all home grown players, while Country Club players, like Beckett, Crawford, Adrian (its up up to God) Gonzalez, and Lackey should as much heart this year as a bull frog. Why doesn't he just change his name to Godzalez then?

You see a REAL manager calls his players out wether in the media or in the clubhouse, why? Because he wants them to get pissed, get pissed at me or whatever, just get pissed and get some heart in that lifeless body of a ball player and get on the field and DO something. Or at least get the team together for a prayer session to try and convince god to let them in the playoffs. SOMETHING!

I just wish in April, before I invested all my time in watching the Red Sox, that god had told me the Sox were not gonna even make the playoffs so I would not have wasted all that time and energy listening to a bunch of fools like Beckett tell me otherwise.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from billfry. Show billfry's posts

Re: " It wasn't in God's plan" Really? Adrian Gonzalez

Yankees are the biggest joke in baseball. They need to be investigated for their actions last night. The Sox would have won the play in game and rolled to another World Series title. Their behavior can't be overlooked by the commissioner. They should have to forfeit the division title and be put in last place, moving the Sox into the playoffs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

In Response to " It wasn't in God's plan" Really? Adrian Gonzalez:
    "It wasn't in Gods plan for us to win it"? Adrian Gonzalez posted at 9/29/2011 9:20 AM EDT   cc4eea542e5e3dce2921d77edfa2c706 Posts: 90 First: 12/13/2007 Last: 9/29/2011 cc4eea542e5e3dce2921d77edfa2c706 I wonder iif he was saying to Theo and Henry when he was negotiating his contract for millions upon millions of dollars, it is all up to god? You mean it was up to god to give Adrian the talent so he can make millions, while others make $30,000 a year? That is gods plan too? And if you pay me millions upon millions I will go ride gods boat down stream and never have to FIGHT to win, because I have a get out of hard work pass from God? That's not the God I believe in. The God I believe in doesn't pick world series champions, he is a little too busy to control such trivial matters as who wins the World series or who makes the playoffs. He may, and I mean may give us talent to do something when we are born, I think thats about as far as it goes. Failure is Gods fault? If I bend down and bump my head on a table thats gods fault too? If it wasn't gods fault, it was the injuries fault? Every contender had significant injuries to its pitching and lineup. Yo Adrian, I got a clue for you, It is YOUR FAULT and every other player that didn't get in shape, hustle out a play and run the bases like a professional. My 85 year old mother would at least hustle down the baseline. Not jog her way into a double play. But hey my mother never knew it was pre-ordained that it was going to be a double play no matter how hard she tried. It is Francona's fault for not being able to manage situations on the field and situations with players. Michael Vick is playing quarterback this weekend and he has a broken hand, a BROKEN HAND! Did he say" I cant play because God doesn't want me to win or I am hurt? Crawford didn't realize you play in a few steps to STOP the winning run from scoring on a single, because if it is over your head the game is over anyway? I watched both games last night, I watched one manager give his team a reason to keep playing hard, by making situational move after situational move, which if anything at all it does is it communicates to the players I STILL believe we can win, even if we are down 7 runs against one of the best teams in baseball. While the other manager watched runners run with complete incompetence, and hitters at the plate who should not have been hitting in the situation they were in. I watched arrogant pitchers who appeared shocked when the other team got a hit against them or hit a homerun against them. Can some one, anyone please ANYONE tell Lester to Hurry up? Get it in gear? All in all, this Sox team didn't give a crap about winning, they gave a crap about contracts, paychecks, being comfortable and divorcing their wives when they have cancer. I feel bad for hustle players like Youk, Pedroia and Ellsbury, all players who play their hearts out. By the way, they are all home grown players, while Country Club players, like Beckett, Crawford, Adrian (its up up to God) Gonzalez, and Lackey should as much heart this year as a bull frog. Why doesn't he just change his name to Godzalez then? You see a REAL manager calls his players out wether in the media or in the clubhouse, why? Because he wants them to get pissed, get pissed at me or whatever, just get pissed and get some heart in that lifeless body of a ball player and get on the field and DO something. Or at least get the team together for a prayer session to try and convince god to let them in the playoffs. SOMETHING! I just wish in April, before I invested all my time in watching the Red Sox, that god had told me the Sox were not gonna even make the playoffs so I would not have wasted all that time and energy listening to a bunch of fools like Beckett tell me otherwise.
    Posted by cc4eea542e5e3dce2921d77edfa2c706

One of the stupidest things ive ever heard an athlete say. He dissapeared in Aug and Sept when it mattered. What happened to the predictions of him hitting one ovber the monster every other at bat. One things for sure, he aint Mark Texeira. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

In Response to Re: " It wasn't in God's plan" Really? Adrian Gonzalez:
    In Response to " It wasn't in God's plan" Really? Adrian Gonzalez : One of the stupidest things ive ever heard an athlete say. He dissapeared in Aug and Sept when it mattered. What happened to the predictions of him hitting one ovber the monster every other at bat. One things for sure, he aint Mark Texeira. 
    Posted by jamesey271975

Agreed. It is unfortunate, but you are correct on all of your assertions.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

Theo's fauly nuff said

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

jesus does hate the redsox so....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

This is ridiculous.

Since when did we become in charge of what should or should not be said.  Personally I think it is stupid when players reference god in how they perform etc etc....but it's there right to believe so.

We are all shocked and looking to place blame, lets not make it any worse by misplacing our anger on such ridiculous things. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Baseball and Gods ? 
    Anyway let's talk about baseball Gods,  are there any ?
    Here's a coupe of reason there aren't any:

1- less than 28 000 fans last night in Tampa , about 30% Yankee fans for the most important game of the season ???

2- Dan Johnson ??  2 strikes ??  hitting for .178 ??  what the ..

3- Rain delay ..  rain delay ???

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KentlandJoe. Show KentlandJoe's posts

I hear this kind of quote all the time.  I think that God has better things to do other than arranging the outcomes of sporting events.  Please!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

,Effort or lack of it, in getting into shape,   on improving their game  on do the little things right  hurt this team..

I at firt thought AGon was soft spoken -- but  now I believe he is just plain soft.

We tried, we failed  oh well  that's a San Diego attitude    NOT a Boston attitude.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Athletes chalking anything up to God is always just stupid. I know this sentiment has been shared before but IF there is a God, I sure as h e l l hope he/she/it isn't wasting 1 second on worrying about which millionaires win a game. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Come on, if God really took a rooting interest in sports, do you really think the Yankees would have 27 world championships??

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Agon was on base 4 F*ING TIMES last night.   If you bad mouth him you are either a moron or just a clown who can't take losing.

You guys mare making me ill.  Agon is a very religious man who worked his butt off all year for this team.  I am NOT religious at all.  But I respect how other people look at the world.  When somebody dies, Christians also say that is "God's will".   This thread is a disgrace.

So blow it out your azzes, you ingrates, this is AMERICA not Nazi Germany.  People are allowed to say what they want and believe what they want here.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Agon was on base 4 F*ING TIMES last night.    If you bad mouth him you are either a moron or just a clown who can't take losing. You guys mare making me ill.  Agon is a very religious man who worked his butt off all year for this team.  I am NOT religious at all.  But I respect how other people look at the world.  When somebody dies, Christians also say that is "God's will".   This thread is a disgrace. So blow it out your azzes, you ingrates, this is AMERICA not Nazi Germany.  People are allowed to say what they want and believe what they want here.
    Posted by soxmeister

Word. 

-Daf. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbonito. Show jbonito's posts

Apparently, you are referencing the First Amendment, but you clearly don't know or understand what it says.  Here's the relevant text: "Congress shall make no law... abridging the freedom of speech."  And Congress hasn't done so for baseball or this page, as far as I know.  The First Amendment does NOT, however, protect one from criticism, as it (criticism) is also protected.  So the original poster has the right, and in my opinion is correct, to criticize Gonzalez for using religion to cover and absolve himself of any responsibility for his poor performance down the stretch.  I suspect that there is a chemistry issue in the clubhouse that contributed to the team's demise, and given AG's statements I wouldn't be surprised if it starts with him.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The the second straight season Adrian Gonzalez played on a 90-win team that failed to advance to the postseason.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

cc4eewhatever? Quite a moniker. Your parents give you that code?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

wow.....a lot of you should be ashamed of yourselves....I bet you were the ones on Jacoby last year as well

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

Agon was on base 4 F*ING TIMES last night.    If you bad mouth him you are either a moron or just a clown who can't take losing. You guys mare making me ill.  Agon is a very religious man who worked his butt off all year for this team.  I am NOT religious at all.  But I respect how other people look at the world.  When somebody dies, Christians also say that is "God's will".   This thread is a disgrace. So blow it out your azzes, you ingrates, this is AMERICA not Nazi Germany.  People are allowed to say what they want and believe what they want here.
    Posted by soxmeister

You're comparing a baseball team losing a game to someone dying, and calling us morons? Rightttttt

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

In Response to Re: " It wasn't in God's plan" Really? Adrian Gonzalez : You're comparing a baseball team losing a game to someone dying, and calling us morons? Rightttttt
    Posted by jamesey271975

Great point!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Posted by soxmeister

Yeah, that infield single that should have been a double play was clutch. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

Soxmeister (and everyone else),

Obviously people have a right to believe whatever they want. I don't think that anybody is saying otherwise. That doesn't mean, however, that we aren't allowed to criticize other people's beliefs or worldviews. To take an extreme example - one has a right to be a racist, but I can still criticize that belief.

Last night Adrian shifted the blame for this collapse from himself and his teammates to something beyond their control (twice, actually). What made it worse was that he seemed to not even really be confronting the issue, but rather, brushing it off as outside their control. What made it hard to watch was the fact that he was doing this while others (Pap, Francona, Theo, Pedroia, Crawford) were struggling to find words and taking responsibility in a very wrenching and emotional way.

I thought Adrian looked like he was using his faith as something to insulate himself from failure and responsibility. I don't think that this is something that all people of faith do. That said, I think it is quite common in both religion and philosophy.

It is a worldview that I think is profoundly irresponsible. I am bothered by it. I find it to be a way of withdrawing from engagement with the world and our actions in it.
         I don't believe this is bashing the player, and I want Adrian on my team. But I was dissapointed. I am not a nazi for being so, and I'm not infringing on anyone's rights.

You have your view and I have mine.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

There are far more important issues than the Sox. I'm sad that they lost. God is still sovereign, loving, jealous (among other things) and patient. Adrian Gonzalez may be paid by the Red Sox (I'd say he earned his pay this year...) but if his open faith in the creator of the universe is where the "chemistry issue" in the clubhouse starts? I'd say the Sox have bigger issues than not being in the 2011 MLB playoffs.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Soxmeister (and everyone else),      Obviously people have a right to believe whatever they want. I don't think that anybody is saying otherwise. That doesn't mean, however, that we aren't allowed to criticize other people's beliefs or worldviews. To take an extreme example - one has a right to be a racist, but I can still criticize that belief.     Last night Adrian shifted the blame for this collapse from himself and his teammates to something beyond their control (twice, actually). What made it worse was that he seemed to not even really be confronting the issue, but rather, brushing it off as outside their control. What made it hard to watch was the fact that he was doing this while others (Pap, Francona, Theo, Pedroia, Crawford) were struggling to find words and taking responsibility in a very wrenching and emotional way.      I thought Adrian looked like he was using his faith as something to insulate himself from failure and responsibility. I don't think that this is something that all people of faith do. That said, I think it is quite common in both religion and philosophy.     It is a worldview that I think is profoundly irresponsible. I am bothered by it. I find it to be a way of withdrawing from engagement with the world and our actions in it.      I don't believe this is bashing the player, and I want Adrian on my team. But I was dissapointed. I am not a nazi for being so, and I'm not infringing on anyone's rights.     You have your view and I have mine.
    Posted by wherescreamingcomesfrom

Perhaps what you saw was the diffrence between a man who's perspective is timeless versus those who actually think what they do is of some relevant importance.

Sections
Shortcuts