1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

"Dark Days", "Lots of losing", rough years ahead?

I see there are a fair amount of people who feel the team is doomed for years to come, having given up all the "star" players and any hope for winning.

Well, what, exactly were the Sox winning, recently? What had Gonzalez and Crawford done? What was the direction of this team? What was the identity? Who were the leaders?

To spend that much money and not have clear, definite answers to those questions is a TRUE disaster.

So, had nothing been changed, how would this group suddenly have gotten better?

-Beckett, at 33 was suddenly going to become reinvigorated? In the face of all the criticism he's faced here?
    -Gonzalez was suddenly going to turn into the leader we all hoped him to be? He was suddenly going to start playing with the passion most around here respect?
    -The people that LIKED the Crawford signing admitted it was likely only the first 4 years would be valuable...well, the first 2.5-3 are toast, was he going to be better, in Boston, at 33 than 29?

The Sox have now "purged" themselves of a LOT of money, and a lightning rod of controversy.

Had they just continued along, it would be a good 3-5 years before the Sox could be where they now are. And who knows where their prospects would be at that point. Pedroia would be 33-35, Middlebrooks would be 26-28 and an expected cornerstone, Bradley Jr may have come, and gone, by that point. No, much MUCH better to bite the bullet, and do it now.

If you don't agree, and I know plenty out there don't, please explain what would have been a good course of action. I enjoy a good debate.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Re: "Dark Days", "Lots of losing", rough years ahead?

In Response to "Dark Days", "Lots of losing", rough years ahead?:
    [QUOTE]I see there are a fair amount of people who feel the team is doomed for years to come, having given up all the "star" players and any hope for winning. Well, what, exactly were the Sox winning, recently? What had Gonzalez and Crawford done? What was the direction of this team? What was the identity? Who were the leaders? To spend that much money and not have clear, definite answers to those questions is a TRUE disaster. So, had nothing been changed, how would this group suddenly have gotten better? -Beckett, at 33 was suddenly going to become reinvigorated? In the face of all the criticism he's faced here? -Gonzalez was suddenly going to turn into the leader we all hoped him to be? He was suddenly going to start playing with the passion most around here respect? -The people that LIKED the Crawford signing admitted it was likely only the first 4 years would be valuable...well, the first 2.5-3 are toast, was he going to be better, in Boston, at 33 than 29? The Sox have now "purged" themselves of a LOT of money, and a lightning rod of controversy. Had they just continued along, it would be a good 3-5 years before the Sox could be where they now are. And who knows where their prospects would be at that point. Pedroia would be 33-35, Middlebrooks would be 26-28 and an expected cornerstone, Bradley Jr may have come, and gone, by that point. No, much MUCH better to bite the bullet, and do it now. If you don't agree, and I know plenty out there don't, please explain what would have been a good course of action. I enjoy a good debate.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]
    There is nothing wrong with getting rid of Youk and everyone else if you get real prospects to rebuild with...This simple fact seems to be eluding people...You have cleared salary for a financially challenged owner's bottom line concerns, but this does not mean you will be able to sign decent FA's because Boston's media fishbowl is now Toxic Town to many MLB players...The point is JH sold off his assets and got no real rebuilding material in return...If they had gotten a few surefire pitching prospects I would not be saying this....Bricks to build with...Instead the 2 little pigs of Red Sox management brought back twigs and straw...And now who can they give up? Even if they trade someone now, the rest of MLB ownership knows JH does not mind getting fleeced..I predict that before the 2012 season is even over, the weeping and gnashing of teeth over the loss of A-Gon will have begun...By late May of next year, at least a third of the fans of the Great Sell-Off will be agreeing that it was Black Friday indeed in RS history...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Next two-three years the rotation will be Buchholz,Lester, Lackey, Doubrant, Dela Rosa is that a winning rotation?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

Last couple years have been the dark days IMO.  Rather lose on the cheap and with guys who want to be here.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Floridamorgan. Show Floridamorgan's posts

I don't agree with the predictions of doom & gloom for the foreseeable future.  Right now we're fighting to stay in FOURTH place & that ain't such a great place to be as thingsstand NOW.  I'm thinking that removing the LA bunch offers good immediate possibilities for resetting the team & gearing up a September drive that could benefit morale for next season. 

So, speaking of morale, with Beckett gone I think the Sox have jettisoned "attitude with lassitude ."  In Crawford, it's easy to see how hard it became to tolerate that contract bestowed on that mass of non-productiveness.  And Gonzalez - I like him, but we have to agree that we really needed a bucketful of more leadership and commitment to the brand.

So now the guys who are there have those weights taken off their shoulders & they can play the game again (at least for a while). Seems like a good fresh start everyone should be taking advantage of.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Floridamorgan. Show Floridamorgan's posts

In Response to Re: "Dark Days", "Lots of losing", rough years ahead?:
    [QUOTE]Next two-three years the rotation will be Buchholz,Lester, Lackey, Doubrant, Dela Rosa is that a winning rotation?
    Posted by BosoxJoe5[/QUOTE]

I think Lackey will have to go, but we may still see Matsuzaka in a Sox uniform.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to "Dark Days", "Lots of losing", rough years ahead? : There is nothing wrong with getting rid of Youk and everyone else if you get real prospects to rebuild with...This simple fact seems to be eluding people...You have cleared salary for a financially challenged owner's bottom line concerns, but this does not mean you will be able to sign decent FA's because Boston's media fishbowl is now Toxic Town to many MLB players...The point is JH sold off his assets and got no real rebuilding material in return...If they had gotten a few surefire pitching prospects I would not be saying this....Bricks to build with...Instead the 2 little pigs of Red Sox management brought back twigs and straw...And now who can they give up? Even if they trade someone now, the rest of MLB ownership knows JH does not mind getting fleeced..I predict that before the 2012 season is even over, the weeping and gnashing of teeth over the loss of A-Gon will have begun...By late May of next year, at least a third of the fans of the Great Sell-Off will be agreeing that it was Black Friday indeed in RS history...
    Posted by GreenPartyCelt[/QUOTE]

This seems to me to be a pretty naive view of how the league works.  Teams do not trade prized prospects for underachieving guys signed to big money long term contracts (well the Dodgers sort of did, but fans here seem to think we got nothing).  Either you think the Red Sox should have kept the guys they dumped or you think the move to unload them on LA for what they got was a good one.  You can't have your cake and eat it too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to ""Dark Days", "Lots of losing", rough years ahead?": [QUOTE]I see there are a fair amount of people who feel the team is doomed for years to come, having given up all the "star" players and any hope for winning. Well, what, exactly were the Sox winning, recently? What had Gonzalez and Crawford done? What was the direction of this team? What was the identity? Who were the leaders? To spend that much money and not have clear, definite answers to those questions is a TRUE disaster. So, had nothing been changed, how would this group suddenly have gotten better? -Beckett, at 33 was suddenly going to become reinvigorated? In the face of all the criticism he's faced here? -Gonzalez was suddenly going to turn into the leader we all hoped him to be? He was suddenly going to start playing with the passion most around here respect? -The people that LIKED the Crawford signing admitted it was likely only the first 4 years would be valuable...well, the first 2.5-3 are toast, was he going to be better, in Boston, at 33 than 29? The Sox have now "purged" themselves of a LOT of money, and a lightning rod of controversy. Had they just continued along, it would be a good 3-5 years before the Sox could be where they now are. And who knows where their prospects would be at that point. Pedroia would be 33-35, Middlebrooks would be 26-28 and an expected cornerstone, Bradley Jr may have come, and gone, by that point. No, much MUCH better to bite the bullet, and do it now. If you don't agree, and I know plenty out there don't, please explain what would have been a good course of action. I enjoy a good debate. Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE] Last time I looked, there was still a month left to the 2012 season. Management and the fans quit on this team. There is still 33 games left and the Sox are 9 games off the WC, 12.5 out of 1st. We had a 9 game lead last year and it evaporated. I guess no one here thought it could happen to someone else. Great faith in the team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In response to ""Dark Days", "Lots of losing", rough years ahead?": Last time I looked, there was still a month left to the 2012 season. Management and the fans quit on this team. There is still 33 games left and the Sox are 9 games off the WC, 12.5 out of 1st. We had a 9 game lead last year and it evaporated. I guess no one here thought it could happen to someone else. Great faith in the team.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

You're not entirely wrong on that. The organization has given up on this year, and the players all of a sudden are trying, so who knows.