"Go light" at which position?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

"Go light" at which position?

Which position do you think makes the most sense to "go light" in 2012?

The chances are that we will not spend big to fill all of our holes. Our biggest positional weakness (beyong pitching) was RF followed by LF. Assuming Crawford is back and is not benched, which position do you think we should not spend big on, but rather allow the back-ups to play more or bring up a prospect or two to have a shot?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Re: "Go light" at which position?

I think it's SS, but not for the reasons there. They'll bring back Scutaro, and probably trade Lowrie over Aviles. But that's been the light spot thus far. They'll definitely address the RF position in some fashion, and they'll definitely be doing something with the DH spot. If they put Youk there (not seeing it, but possible) you can be sure they'll be adding a bat at 3rd.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

IN MY EYES I SEE FOR 2012 NEW FACES AT ....... CATCH, 3RD,SS,RF,DH, AND A HOST OF PITCHERS, STARTERS & PEN.......  START BY TRADING THE 3 BEER BRO'S !!!  AND GO FROM THERE !!!   COLONEL HENRY, TAKE BACK THAT TEAM !!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Moon,
    My hope is that they use the moneys to address the depth and sign and/or trade for multiple veteran bats to help to lengthen the lineup and bring in another proven vet for the rotation...

In my mind they really don't have any reason to go light and they don't have to go large either...To me the long term need for a RF may well have to come via a trade, becasue there really isn't an ideal guy on the market. Thats why I am a proponant of moving Crawford to right and then we could sign either Cuddyer or Willingham to play left...neither of whom should command more than 10 milion or so...I also like Doumit and Hinske both of whom would serve to stregnthen our bench and give us some position flexibility...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

I'd like to see Youk traded, then platoon with Middlebrooks/Aviles and/or whomever we might pick up. So my choice is 3B which was not offered as an option.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Out of the 3 options, I think the Sox are in the best position to turn to Reddick/Kalish in RF if they want to maximize the long term benefit to the team.  Lavarnway could you more time behind the plate, which would mean AAA for him, and Iggy needs worth at the plate, which also means more time at AAA for him.  I can't wait to see Lavarnway up for good, but if the remaining FO see him as a catcher, then he should continue making defensive strides at AAA, especially while Salty can handle the MLB catching duties for now.

There's nothing wrong with starting 2012 with Scut and Lowrie for SS, though I'm not sure I consider that spending big.  I certainly don't want to see the Sox go after Reyes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I see Youk getting trade during next season, I would say before All-star break.  Possible early callup Middlesbrook takes over the hot corner.  Sox will sign big name as DH this offseason.

There's only one big spending for SS in FA market this offseason and he's Jose Reyes.  I don't think he's coming to the Sox.  Only SS Sox have interest is Hanley Ramirez.  Sox might be trying to bring him back via trade but I don't see Sox signing one spending big $$$..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinjin5000. Show sinjin5000's posts

Ortize should go for a number of reasons.

1. He can't play in the field.

2. he's not going to be happy playing for what the DH position pays now. The RS would be crazy to give him more then 6 mil,

3. His comments about wanting to go to the yankees should show anyone he's all about the money and not the team. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Cheap RH OFer ended up Mac. Didnt work well.

Lava is not going to stick. Remember, you said he wasnt ready and Varitek was one of the best backups.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

It's kind of difficult to try and figure this out now.I think a lot will depend of the manager they bring in because he's definitely going to have input.But,here's my best guess:
    Scutaro stays at SS
    Lavarnway and Salty sharing duties catching
    Middlebrooks and Lowrie at 3rd with Youk DH'ing 
    A combo of Reddick/Kalish and Aviles in RF

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

A year ago Kalish was the answer at RF.  He still is.  No real money or prospects should be spent filling that position.  Any production from Kalish will match what the Sox had in 2011, and they had one of the top offenses in all baseball.  And if he is a flop or proves to be injury prone, there are still two or three OFers in the system worth reserving the position for.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: "Go light" at which position?:
    I think it's SS, but not for the reasons there. They'll bring back Scutaro, and probably trade Lowrie over Aviles. But that's been the light spot thus far. They'll definitely address the RF position in some fashion, and they'll definitely be doing something with the DH spot. If they put Youk there (not seeing it, but possible) you can be sure they'll be adding a bat at 3rd.
    Posted by jgallag1

Acyually, I don't think Scutty at the $6M option would be called "light". He laso has hit very well in 2 of his last 3 years. out of the top 34 SSs by PAs from 2009-2011, Scutty places 8th in MLB in OPS (.761) just a few points behind...
    4) Jeter  .775
    5) Castro .766
    6) S Drew .765
    7) A Cabrera .764
    and ahead of Escobar, Peralta, JJ Hardy, A Ramirez, Uribe, Furcal, Bartlett, Rollins and others. 
    (Only Tulo, HanRam and reyes are above .800)

Now, if you want to call him "light" on defense, I'm with you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon, My hope is that they use the moneys to address the depth and sign and/or trade for multiple veteran bats to help to lengthen the lineup and bring in another proven vet for the rotation... In my mind they really don't have any reason to go light and they don't have to go large either...To me the long term need for a RF may well have to come via a trade, becasue there really isn't an ideal guy on the market. Thats why I am a proponant of moving Crawford to right and then we could sign either Cuddyer or Willingham to play left...neither of whom should command more than 10 milion or so...I also like Doumit and Hinske both of whom would serve to stregnthen our bench and give us some position flexibility...
    Posted by Beantowne

I'm not sure about CC in RF, but he'd be better than Willingham and others.

Since i think we need to get a very good starter and boost the pen, I do not think we can address all the holes. I think we will "go light" at one of these slots. 

We could also "go light" at 3B by trading Youk or moving Youk to DH and going with Aviles/Lowrie/Middlebrooks, or we could go light at Catcher by not spending at all or trading Salty and going with VTek and Lava.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Cheap RH OFer ended up Mac. Didnt work well. 

He's the guy you liked and called anyone who wanted him demaoted last year a racist.
    I do not want to ever see DMac in RF again. CF is bad enough. If he is here next year, he should be CC's platoon in LF. I'd like to see Cody Ross as a cheap platoon RF'er, if we have to go cheap there.

Lava is not going to stick. Remember, you said he wasnt ready and Varitek was one of the best backups.

He's not ready to catch. If you knew how to read, you'd see I have him at DH and maybe the 3rd catcher. I hope he's not our number 2 catcher, but it's doable.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Market for Scutaro isnt likely to be 3M. Scutaro can bring himself back as it would be stupid for the Red Sox to pay 1.5M to get rid of him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's kind of difficult to try and figure this out now.I think a lot will depend of the manager they bring in because he's definitely going to have input.But,here's my best guess: Scutaro stays at SS Lavarnway and Salty sharing duties catching Middlebrooks and Lowrie at 3rd with Youk DH'ing  A combo of Reddick/Kalish and Aviles in RF
    Posted by mrmojo1120

Could see Aviles at 3b too.

I doubt we will stay light at catcher and "go light" at RF, DH/3B, and SS.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Well "go light" is a relative term, considering I've been told that Jenks and Cameron were "low risk" signings.

I'd say RF is a logical place to go light.  Bring in the RH platoon bat, whoever that might be and keep Reddick or Kalish out there vs. RHP.   

Catcher will likely be some combination of Salty and either Tek/Lavarnaway so that is light, although I fear it is also light on quality and production.

If they don't sign Papi, than Youk becomes a DH/1B/3B option which means they can go light on the 3rd base replacement.  Aviles/Middlebrooks/Lowrie or something.  Then Youk can play 1B and Agone can DH after those late night flights that are so rough on Adrian.

Agree with the point that 6 million for Scutaro is NOT light, if he exercises his option at 3 million, that is ligthish.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Agree with the point that 6 million for Scutaro is NOT light, if he exercises his option at 3 million, that is ligthish.

He won't.

He gets $1.5M to walk.

He'd just sign for $1.6M or more and make more elsewhere. He probably could get $4-5M for 1 year (plus $1.5 buyout equals about $6M elsewhere).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Agree with the point that 6 million for Scutaro is NOT light, if he exercises his option at 3 million, that is ligthish. He won't. He gets $1.5M to walk. He'd just sign for $1.6M or more and make more elsewhere. He probably could get $4-5M for 1 year (plus $1.5 buyout equals about $6M elsewhere).
    Posted by moonslav59

Well then unless the Sox decide to go in an entirely different direction, which they likely won't since Scutaro is supposed to be the bridge to Iglesias, I guess he will be brought back for 6 million, which isn't 'light' for a very average defensive SS who likely will take most his AB's from the bottom third of the order.  Although 6 million for any regular is light by Red Sox standards.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Keep Scutaro unless someone as good or better is available for $6M. 

Go light in RF, but only after looking for a good deal on a competent rightfielder who hits from the right side.  If we end up with Reddick/Kalish, so be it.

I can't make up my mind about DH because it's really not going light on DH, but going light on 3B with Youk moving over to DH.  I like to think I'm smart, but this is too hard for me.  I don't think Ortiz is worth a sweetheart deal of, say, $10M per year for 2 or 3 years.  Offer him what he's worth and go light if he decides to seek greener pastures. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Keep Scutaro unless someone as good or better is available for $6M.  Go light in RF, but only after looking for a good deal on a competent rightfielder who hits from the right side.  If we end up with Reddick/Kalish, so be it. I can't make up my mind about DH because it's really not going light on DH, but going light on 3B with Youk moving over to DH.  I like to think I'm smart, but this is too hard for me.  I don't think Ortiz is worth a sweetheart deal of, say, $10M per year for 2 or 3 years.  Offer him what he's worth and go light if he decides to seek greener pastures. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

The market for Papi is small.  If the Red Sox offer him 2 years 22 million with a club option for the 3rd + a buyout, there are maybe 3 teams out there that could actually match or top that.

The question really is, can the Red Sox stomach seeing Ortiz in pinstripes.  I would throw Toronto out there as a potential landing spot for Papi.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In Response to Re: "Go light" at which position? : The market for Papi is small.  If the Red Sox offer him 2 years 22 million with a club option for the 3rd + a buyout, there are maybe 3 teams out there that could actually match or top that. The question really is, can the Red Sox stomach seeing Ortiz in pinstripes.  I would throw Toronto out there as a potential landing spot for Papi.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

I think Philadelphia will make a good offer to Papelbon.I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him end up there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Scutaro is more likely going to walk away if Sox do not pick up his option because he know he will get a better offer by getting more money and more year.  It is more safer to pick the option up where we all know he only have one more year left, and hopefully either Igleisis can be ready to play.  If not, then we can all worry about that situation after 2012 season!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: "Go light" at which position? : I think Philadelphia will make a good offer to Papelbon.I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him end up there.
    Posted by mrmojo1120

Definitely a thought.  I think Rollins and Ibanez are both FA, so they have to figure those 2 out.  They also have to decide about Oswalt's option, so while they seem to need a closer, they might not be big spenders this off-season. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

He won't.

He gets $1.5M to walk.

He'd just sign for $1.6M or more and make more elsewhere. He probably could get $4-5M for 1 year (plus $1.5 buyout equals about $6M elsewhere).

Absurd. YOU DONT Have a clue what you are talking about! He doesn't get 1.5M to walk! He must first exercise his 3M option. The Sox then can either pay 1.5M to buyout the option or just keep Scutaro. Scutaro cannot "just walk" and collect 1.5M. Red Sox will not pay 1.5M if Scutaro exercises 3M option. They will simply pay the 3M.

Scutaro is has almost no chance of getting 4 to 5M for 1 year anywhere. He will amost surely exercise the player 3M option. 

Sections
Shortcuts