"It would be nice to get to.500, but really, it doesn't mean anything."

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: "It would be nice to get to.500, but really, it doesn't mean anything."

yup.  i agree.  It is a nice feel-good marker that suggests "gee we made it out of the woods", but it is neither here nor there.  Whether they get their friday or next week or whenever, it is just a point on a much larger continuum and if the guys weere actually playing to reach this marker, there would be something seriously wrong.  We will all feel somehow better once they are not "losers" under .500, but I am sure the club is focused on just winning the next game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

Under 500 means you've lost more games than you've won.  Its of statistical significance to those that like statistics, and most baseball fans like stats.

What does it really 'mean'?  It depends on relative performance and the specific time of the season.

If today were the last day of the season it would mean 'failure'.

However, since 'today' is still 'early on in the season' it simply means the Sox are in 3rd place in their division. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Of course it means something.

Anyone who thinks being sub .500 is okay, doesn't get it.

The object of any game is to win more than you lose.

But , I think what is meant is it's not how you start ,it's how you finish.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

In Response to Re: "It would be nice to get to.500, but really, it doesn't mean anything.":
      We will all feel somehow better once they are not "losers" under .500

, but I am sure the club is focused on just winning the next game.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

probably so spaceman

but torre always talked about reaching 500

and then 5 games over

and then 10 games over etc etc

but tito is correct

you don't get trophies for being 500 in may

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

Hopefully Francona keeps thinking like this for the rest of the season. "It would be nice to keep my job, but in the end it really doesn't mean anything."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyBoston4. Show DeweyBoston4's posts

Hey Dave. Is this the quote that you were referring to?

The Red Sox, who had their three-game winning streak snapped, were trying to reach the .500 mark for the first time this season.
    "Whatever our record is, we always want to win these games," Francona said. "We want to win every game. That's how we always feel. I don't care what our record is."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: "It would be nice to get to.500, but really, it doesn't mean anything.":
    Of course it means something. Anyone who thinks being sub .500 is okay, doesn't get it. The object of any game is to win more than you lose. But , I think what is meant is it's not how you start ,it's how you finish.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

No doubt Zill.  But I don't think the club is focusing on this marker.  One foot in front of the other I think.

That being said, Zac, good point about Torre.  he managed to those markers, so maybe there is something to that.

I don't know.  You guys have my inner sports psychologist all mixed up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I disagree with Francona, although I will agree that the best way to do it is to run through .500.  It sure as heck should not be the goal for this season. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyBoston4. Show DeweyBoston4's posts

In climbing Mt. Everest, are the individual steps at the halfway point critical or is reaching the summit critical. Too much fascination with the .500 mark. Is there a prize given to a sprinter at the fifty yard mark of the one hundred yard dash or do they wait for the finish. Idle talk.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

I gotta disagree with Tito on this one. I think he should listen to Torre. It does mean something. It means you are on your way to a winning season. You are not going anywhere until you get to .500. It would be more than nice, it's necessary, if your plan is to go to the post season.

Maybe I'm playing with words, but I don't like the way he phrased that, if those are his words.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

Sections
Shortcuts