"SON, NEVER BUILD A PITCHING STAFF ON OTHER TEAMS.......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

"SON, NEVER BUILD A PITCHING STAFF ON OTHER TEAMS.......

FREE AGENTS IN THEIR TWILIGHT AND LOOKING TO BE  $$$$ FOR DAYS, LONG GONE BY !!  IT'S TOUGH TO WATCH THE HEALTH ISSUES FROM YEAR TO YEAR.....  GROW THEM DOWN ON THE FARM OR MAKE TRADES TO BRING IN A 3 TO 5 YEAR PITCHER !! WHAT SAY YOU ????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: "SON, NEVER BUILD A PITCHING STAFF ON OTHER TEAMS.......

okay... but you should have one long term ACE. I guess Lester is that ACE.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-------YAZZER. Show the-------YAZZER's posts

In Response to "SON, NEVER BUILD A PITCHING STAFF ON OTHER TEAMS.......:
    [QUOTE]  FREE AGENTS IN THEIR TWILIGHT AND LOOKING TO BE  $$$$ FOR DAYS, LONG GONE BY !!  IT'S TOUGH TO WATCH THE HEALTH ISSUES FROM YEAR TO YEAR.....  GROW THEM DOWN ON THE FARM OR MAKE TRADES TO BRING IN A 3 TO 5 YEAR PITCHER !! WHAT SAY YOU ????
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

hey bill,

how do you like your two buddies, 'coma and einstein, now?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Jenks
    Wheeler
    Lackey
    Dice-k

They are the only free agent pitchers 30 years old or older.  Dice K was signed when he was 27 (in his prime).  jenks was known to be damaged goods. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: "SON, NEVER BUILD A PITCHING STAFF ON OTHER TEAMS.......:
    [QUOTE]Jenks Wheeler Lackey Dice-k They are the only free agent pitchers 30 years old or older.  Dice K was signed when he was 27 (in his prime).  jenks was known to be damaged goods. 
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]BECKETT LOOKS TO HAVE A FRAGIL TRACK RECORD........  THERE ARN'T MANY CURT SCHILLINGS OUT THERE !!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]  FREE AGENTS IN THEIR TWILIGHT AND LOOKING TO BE  $$$$ FOR DAYS, LONG GONE BY !!  IT'S TOUGH TO WATCH THE HEALTH ISSUES FROM YEAR TO YEAR.....  GROW THEM DOWN ON THE FARM OR MAKE TRADES TO BRING IN A 3 TO 5 YEAR PITCHER !! WHAT SAY YOU ????

Um, Um, 2/5ths of the starting rotation, both studs, are homegrown farmboys.  Another, also a stud, was traded for as he was entering his prime.  Another, less of a stud but only because of unforseen headcase, was signed going into his prime from another country.  The fact that 3 of these guys are injured doesn't change the fact that the planned starting rotation is made-up exactly as you outline here.  Inuries happen Bill.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to "SON, NEVER BUILD A PITCHING STAFF ON OTHER TEAMS....... : Um, Um, 2/5ths of the starting rotation, both studs, are homegrown farmboys.  Another, also a stud, was traded for as he was entering his prime.  Another, less of a stud but only because of unforseen headcase, was signed going into his prime from another country.  The fact that 3 of these guys are injured doesn't change the fact that the planned starting rotation is made-up exactly as you outline here.  Inuries happen Bill.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]YOUR RIGHT SPACE.....  I GUESS I MUST BE OLD SCHOOL, AS I THINK/FEEL THAT PLAYERS OF THAT PAY SCALE SHOULD NEVER MISS A TURN !!  CERTAINLY NOT LINGER FOR DAYS/WEEKS/MONTHS !!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to "SON, NEVER BUILD A PITCHING STAFF ON OTHER TEAMS....... : Um, Um, 2/5ths of the starting rotation, both studs, are homegrown farmboys.  Another, also a stud, was traded for as he was entering his prime.  Another, less of a stud but only because of unforseen headcase, was signed going into his prime from another country.  The fact that 3 of these guys are injured doesn't change the fact that the planned starting rotation is made-up exactly as you outline here.  Inuries happen Bill.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Precisely. I don't think Theo has gone overboard on aging FA pitchers. I thought his gamble on Dice was at least thinking outside the box a bit, even though it did not turn out. Trading for Beckett when he did was basically a good move, and I just think Theo et al need to pay more attention to training and development strategies for their young pitchers, but yes, injuries do happen, and it has been a rough couple of years for the Sox.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "SON, NEVER BUILD A PITCHING STAFF ON OTHER TEAMS....... : Precisely. I don't think Theo has gone overboard on aging FA pitchers. I thought his gamble on Dice was at least thinking outside the box a bit, even though it did not turn out. Trading for Beckett when he did was basically a good move, and I just think Theo et al need to pay more attention to training and development strategies for their young pitchers, but yes, injuries do happen, and it has been a rough couple of years for the Sox.
    Posted by pschuller[/QUOTE] ABOUT INJURIES....YES THEY DO HAPPEN, BUT THE RESULTS ARE BAD WHEN THE PLAYER IS OLDER/OVER RATED/ AND OVER PAID !!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "SON, NEVER BUILD A PITCHING STAFF ON OTHER TEAMS....... : ABOUT INJURIES....YES THEY DO HAPPEN, BUT THE RESULTS ARE BAD WHEN THE PLAYER IS OLDER/OVER RATED/ AND OVER PAID !!!
     But, Bill, who is the player who is older and overpaid?  Beckett?  OK.  But, a. he has been our hoss all year and may not even "linger" on the DL over this.  B.  hard to say he is overpaid in the relative sense, when he makes equal money to AJ Burnett and John Lackey.  C.  he's not even "older".I'll give you Matsuzaka I guess.  But who are all these guys who are older/overrated/overpaid who are injured?  I can't seem to find them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "SON, NEVER BUILD A PITCHING STAFF ON OTHER TEAMS....... :  But, Bill, who is the player who is older and overpaid?  Beckett?  OK.  But, a. he has been our hoss all year and may not even "linger" on the DL over this.  B.  hard to say he is overpaid in the relative sense, when he makes equal money to AJ Burnett and John Lackey.  C.  he's not even "older".I'll give you Matsuzaka I guess.  But who are all these guys who are older/overrated/overpaid who are injured?  I can't seem to find them.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]SPACE.... I JUST THINK THAT ALL YEAR LONG TOO MANY OF OUR HIGH $$$ PLAYERS HAVE MISSED GAMES BECAUSE OF INJURY.... LAST YEAR TOO !!  BAD LUCK ?? MAYBE !!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "SON, NEVER BUILD A PITCHING STAFF ON OTHER TEAMS....... : SPACE.... I JUST THINK THAT ALL YEAR LONG TOO MANY OF OUR HIGH $$$ PLAYERS HAVE MISSED GAMES BECAUSE OF INJURY.... LAST YEAR TOO !!  BAD LUCK ?? MAYBE !!

Well, being that most of the players on the club are high $$$, chances are, an injured player is going to be high $$$.  I don't see the correlation with how the pitching staff was built though.  The highest priced, oldest FA pitcher we have has been the only guy who hasn't done any significant time on the DL these past two years.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

Yeah that sounds so good but in a few months when the off season is in full swing we will all be wondering what "super" FA signings Theo will come up with this year, like he did last year!! 

I do agree with you that for some reason the Sox seem cursed with health issues...... I have been a Sox and baseball fan since 1958 and just can't ever remember those teams of the 60's having a fraction of the injuries these guys have. 

Pitchers actually often went 9 innings game after game,  the line up was the same game to game, injured players worked through the injuries.

I have to conclude that the huge salaries these guys make today causes management to be far more conservative with their investments. Either that or all the steroids and time spent in the weight rooms is actually making these supermen more fragile!!!
    Bottom line to me is this off season or any other, it makes no difference what Theo does in the FA market if we can find a way to keep our guys healthy and on the field playing he may as well not spend a dime.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Beckett was acquired by trade, just as you recommended.

Buch is the injury that hurt the team the most and he is home grown.  Youk is home grown.  Ells who missed nearly all of last year is home grown.  Lowrie has missed a ton of games and he's home grown.

JD Drew is at the tale end of the his contract.  CC missed a few games.

What past their prime Free Agents are you referring to?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to "SON, NEVER BUILD A PITCHING STAFF ON OTHER TEAMS....... : Yeah that sounds so good but in a few months when the off season is in full swing we will all be wondering what "super" FA signings Theo will come up with this year, like he did last year!!  I do agree with you that for some reason the Sox seem cursed with health issues...... I have been a Sox and baseball fan since 1958 and just can't ever remember those teams of the 60's having a fraction of the injuries these guys have.  Pitchers actually often went 9 innings game after game,  the line up was the same game to game, injured players worked through the injuries. I have to conclude that the huge salaries these guys make today causes management to be far more conservative with their investments. Either that or all the steroids and time spent in the weight rooms is actually making these supermen more fragile!!! Bottom line to me is this off season or any other, it makes no difference what Theo does in the FA market if we can find a way to keep our guys healthy and on the field playing he may as well not spend a dime.  
    Posted by tetonman50[/QUOTE]

Good points all. The irony is that the more owners try to "protect" their investments, the less opportunity players get to build their stamina, which always seemed to me the best way to avoid injury.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Right! Where's Timlin?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

What are you talking about?

The RS have the best pitching staff ever!   With the best fifth starter ever!  -- Dice-k!

http://www.nesn.com/2011/01/2011-red-sox-will-challenge-1927-yankees-for-title-of-greatest-team-in-major-league-history.html

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "SON, NEVER BUILD A PITCHING STAFF ON OTHER TEAMS....... : Good points all. The irony is that the more owners try to "protect" their investments, the less opportunity players get to build their stamina, which always seemed to me the best way to avoid injury.
    Posted by pschuller[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your comment, and I also agree with your observation. Clearly today's ballplayers are sitting out far more games "injured", or needing a break, then the players did years ago. It drives me nuts when I hear that players need to be rested after playing a certain number of games. Come on we are not talking a football here.  It's not like we have anymore Sunday afternoon double headers each week either!!   I don't know if this the result of the players, the union, or management or all three but  for some reason you almost hold your breath each game wondering if we can get through it injury free.

Without question if I had the chance to sign a 6 year 100 million dollar contract these days verses the more typical contracts of years ago I would not risk playing if I sneezeed that morning either!!! 

I mean really we fans have more personally invested in our teams then most of these players do. I've been a Sox fan for well over 50 years now so I've got a no trade clause and that's it!!!!!!   

Clearly the days that winning a WS actually meant something to most players
    long gone. I honestly feel it means way more to us fans then it does to most players.  Their 100 million dollar long term contracts are all that matters to most of these guys any  more.