"Toxic" Clubhouse? Don't tell that to Marlon Byrd

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

"Toxic" Clubhouse? Don't tell that to Marlon Byrd

Interesting that Byrd, after a week on the club, says that this team is the most tight-knit, close team he has been around.  

Flies in the face of the "toxic" clubhouse notion that has been en vogue since the horrorible days of September.

Not that it wasn't "toxic" then.  Maybe it was.  Certainly dysfunctional in any case.

But, maybe those same folk, bolstered by some good team guys (Shoppach, Ross, Sweeney), and having the shake up of a Bobby V., and having gone through the adversity of the collapse and poor 2012 start together, have found identity and grown into something more than 25-guys-25-cabs 2.0.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: "Toxic" Clubhouse? Don't tell that to Marlon Byrd

I doubt the toxic clubhouse theory.  But I do believe the pitching collapse in September was in part due to poor in-season conditioning by some of the pitching staff. 

I have lately pointed the finger at Youk because he is such a loudmouth, but I doubt that he is a negative influence because he plays hard in every inning of every game.  I have my doubts about the positive influence, if any, of Beckett, but he is just one guy.  Plenty of other guys--Ortiz, Pedroia, the new guys, etc--to keep things upbeat.  When the pitching is horrendous, however, it hards to stay upbeat, but hopefully that is on the mend.  The ERA has been steadily dropping. 

I think Marlon Byrd reflects reality.  This is a winning franchise that most players would love to be part of.  Very enthusiastic fans who have filled Fenway for like 9 years straight.  Good overall management all the way to John Henry.  They make mistakes, of course, but clearly have the intention of fielding a winning team every season and will pay--somewhat less than the Yankees but no one else--to get that team. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

yeah space but toxic from who? the moron scribes that live for stirring the pot? the felgers who are never happy about anything? I'll add to your list of good team guys. salty,pedie,papi and Agon are keepin it light. let the moron sportswriters explain this toxic krap after our boys came home taking 6 out of 7 on the road. for all we know space, our team could be up on top before the end of month of may. talk about a soft schedule man. I am pysched about this up coming week.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

If you just got a swirly ...maybe you'd think it was toxic ...

But I appreciate Byrd's sentiments and willingness to share it with such excitement.  Puts a shine on things.  Ross and Sweeney, as mentioned, are really happy to be here, too.  Makes a big difference when the new guys want to be with you.

Hey, doesn't that sort of snack the heck out of "players don't want to come to Boston"???? 

I really can't remember the last guys who wasn't happy to come here. VMart was torn up over leaving his life-long affiliation in Cleveland, but he was still happy to come here.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Boston is rough if you just signed a big long-term contract before arriving, because you are definitely going to get scrutiny and commentary. Manny--no problem.  But Beckett, Lackey, Drew, Crawford, etc have had problems.   I think Crawford was just psyched out last year by all that.  Plus, of course, that weird hitting stance.  AGon seems to be fine with the pressure, but we'll see. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: "Toxic" Clubhouse? Don't tell that to Marlon Byrd:
    [QUOTE]Boston is rough if you just signed a big long-term contract before arriving, because you are definitely going to get scrutiny and commentary. Manny--no problem.  But Beckett, Lackey, Drew, Crawford, etc have had problems.   I think Crawford was just psyched out last year by all that.  Plus, of course, that weird hitting stance.  AGon seems to be fine with the pressure, but we'll see. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

AGon has an ace in the hole in terms of handling the pressure:  the dude is a master hitter of the highest ordinance.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]yeah space but toxic from who? the moron scribes that live for stirring the pot? the felgers who are never happy about anything? I'll add to your list of good team guys. salty,pedie,papi and Agon are keepin it light. let the moron sportswriters explain this toxic krap after our boys came home taking 6 out of 7 on the road. for all we know space, our team could be up on top before the end of month of may. talk about a soft schedule man. I am pysched about this up coming week.
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]Mr Hammah, Toxic ????  Does that have anything to do with getting some bad CHICKEN ??????????

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Yes, Pedie was great when he blasted Valentine this month! Hello???

[QUOTE]yeah space but toxic from who? the moron scribes that live for stirring the pot? the felgers who are never happy about anything? I'll add to your list of good team guys. salty,pedie,papi and Agon are keepin it light. let the moron sportswriters explain this toxic krap after our boys came home taking 6 out of 7 on the road. for all we know space, our team could be up on top before the end of month of may. talk about a soft schedule man. I am pysched about this up coming week.
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Nah Bill! spaceman was making a point about the so-called toxic atmosphere that is in our clubhouse and I said toxic as far as who's concerned. certainly not the players who have just come back from a remarkable road trip. even josh, who settled down quite nicely after the first inning shows me promise. you want to know who's toxic in boston? the curly haired boyfriend for one. felger on comcast sportsnet lives for negitivity. the ship is righting itself Bill. full steam ahead.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Pete, I really wouldn't clasify it as "blasting" bobby v. all he said was that's not how we do stuff around here. bobby will figure that out............hello back!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I think I said a while back that there was nothing wrong with this team that a few W's wouldn't cure. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy stilleatsworms. Show MikeNagy stilleatsworms's posts

In response to "Re: "Toxic" Clubhouse? Don't tell that to Marlon Byrd": [QUOTE]I think I said a while back that there was nothing wrong with this team that a few W's wouldn't cure.  Posted by S5[/QUOTE] That's a timeless truth

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

BV should be telling Pedie "how we do things around here". Pedie flipped out on that rant. Sorry it happened, but the Sox need to be put back in line. Byrd's just happy to be here. And...love Pedie, so hopefully it was just an aberrant outburst.

[QUOTE]Pete, I really wouldn't classify it as "blasting" bobby v. all he said was that's not how we do stuff around here. bobby will figure that out............hello back!
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Yeah, the toxic stuff was way overblown. That's not to say that everything was hunky-dory last fall or even at the beginning of the year. Space had the right word -- dysfunctional.

And I agree with max that perhaps in-seasoning conditioning might have hurt some pitchers. The big thing to me was that after Beckett and Lester, regardless of how either of them pitched in September, the rest of the starters were wretched. I think that caused some guys to press, which led to slumps at the plate and poor decisions in the field.

W/O being in the clubhouse, I can see that the biggest problem in the clubhouse simply were some bad habits that developed that got out of hand and by the time that was evident, it was too late.

We all have that happen in our own lives. You develop a bad habit, and sometimes you realize it and stop it. But other times, it's something that's not a big deal at first but before you know, it created some problems. You look back and realize how it happened.

In the Sox case, the starting pitchers leaving the dugout early one game that was in hand, go in the lockerroom and popping open a beer probably isn't a big deal once or twice. But it probably built into something more, which then became a problem.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]BV should be telling Pedie "how we do things around here". Pedie flipped out on that rant. Sorry it happened, but the Sox need to be put back in line. Byrd's just happy to be here. And...love Pedie, so hopefully it was just an aberrant outburst. In Response to Re: "Toxic" Clubhouse? Don't tell that to Marlon Byrd :
    Posted by PetesCall[/QUOTE]

Yeah.  I mean, there was bound to be some friction.  I personally think it is better when something like that just gets thrown out there with all its ugly warts.  Then there is the opportunity to communicate and grow.  Sometimes, if things just simmer, they fester and get worse.  They shook the tree.   I bet it is already paying off.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Yep...agree 100%.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Toxic" Clubhouse? Don't tell that to Marlon Byrd : Yeah.  I mean, there was bound to be some friction.  I personally think it is better when something like that just gets thrown out there with all its ugly warts.  Then there is the opportunity to communicate and grow.  Sometimes, if things just simmer, they fester and get worse.  They shook the tree.   I bet it is already paying off.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I'll admit that I had questions about the clubhouse culture early, but it seems like it's smoothing out. Like any new relationship, it may take time for V to gel with the team, and for them to get to know each other. The potential for a very good season is still there. Bucholz coming through with a big game would be huge tonight.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

pedey is my fav player but he really shouldve been shown the bench after that BV remark....that is toxic imho...but as Tito said, youre a whole lot smarter after a few victories in a row...alls well for now...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]pedey is my fav player but he really shouldve been shown the bench after that BV remark....that is toxic imho...but as Tito said, youre a whole lot smarter after a few victories in a row...alls well for now...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

plus, geo, i think it was good to kind of get it out there.  Francona was like Pedey's father for 5 years.  He probably felt most raw of anyone about Tito being shown the door.  So, things start tough and Valentine calls out Youk, and Pedroia loses his sense for a minute and spouts off.  I am glad it went like that.  helps get any unspoken things spoken between BV and Pedey, and the team at large.  It was certainly out of line.  But, sometimes, it takes a little exorcism of uncomfortable hostility to get to the more beautiful truth beneath.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Space, Pedey's anger should be directed at his own teammates who dissed Tito after he had their backs for so long - not BV...I hate to get conspiratorial but that Pedroia reaction seemed calculated to curry favor with his teammates - maybe for being "the rat"...intriguing theory...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Space, Pedey's anger should be directed at his own teammates who dissed Tito after he had their backs for so long - not BV...I hate to get conspiratorial but that Pedroia reaction seemed calculated to curry favor with his teammates - maybe for being "the rat"...intriguing theory...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

haha.  the rat thing just won't die.  I agree with you that Pedey's anger was misplaced.  I just think it was a good thing for the long haul to have things buble to the surface early, rather than later.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Toxic" Clubhouse? Don't tell that to Marlon Byrd : haha.  the rat thing just won't die.  I agree with you that Pedey's anger was misplaced.  I just think it was a good thing for the long haul to have things buble to the surface early, rather than later.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]My personal opinion, if there's a rat it's gotta be Youk. He just looks the type to me. Laughing

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

I think it must be remembered that while most players liked Terry, Pedey LOVED that guy. There's a difference. His heart was broken, and I understand his emotional overreaction, though I did call him on it at the time. Clearly out of line to bash your supposed leader, but Geo+Space are right to acknowledge it was handled well by everyone and seems to have been deftly smoothed over. I've never heard the clubhouse called "toxic". I do know it's been entitled, selfish, and lazy. They got Terry fired, though it was his fault for allowing things to drift so far. Let's all pull for Bobby to help restore a sense of responsibility again. Love him or hate him, he's the guy we've hired to straighten things out.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

A Team; defined as a group of individuals striving to achieve a common goal...In baseball and every team sport that goal is defined as winning. Trust me it ain't how you play the game...

I can tell you that at every level when your team wins all who are participants seem to get along better. The fans, the players, the managers and the owners and almost as important are the families of all involved...Unfortunately in Boston it takes the media too much time to get the memo and in the interest of selling newspapers they spend the entire season looking for the warts and in somecase stirring up the muck and baiting players to throw one another or the manager under the bus...

Winning cures all ill's, is another age old adage that is often cited to paint over the warts that are present on every team. Trust me if one looks close enough, there's always some strife behind the scenes in every clubhouse.

In sport  and especially in professional sports. There's alway a guy on your team or in the organization that is trying to take your job and often that guy's locker is right next to yours. Which is why I find it funny that we expect these guys to be bossom buddies...The reality is that everyone of them is a mercenary to some degree...They get rewarded for thier individual performance and thier next contract is based on thier individual performance, not on how well the team does...Ever heard of a guy getting a new deal because he was part of a 100 win team, dispite batting .200?

Enter Bobby V...his job is to manage the team and put them in the best position to compete everyday...part of his job is making sure that every player shows up for work each day and does thier job...Once on the field it is the players job to execute...Those that do get rewarded with playing time and new contracts...those that don't or those that can't soon find themselves in the real world and the guy in the next locker has taken thier place and the cycle continues...

Then guys like us who love the game and all things Red Sox sit in front of our computers and write opins on why player X got replaced by player Y and too often we jump to conclusions without the facts....to often lead down the road to ruin by the pied pipers of Boston sports media Mazzaroti and Shaunessey...