BEN, You told me that a "BLOCKBUSTER" WAS COMING ???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

BEN, You told me that a "BLOCKBUSTER" WAS COMING ???

Now your making me look like a fool on this board as we continue to sign players that should be signing up for "BIG O-CARE"  !!!!  When is the "BLOCKBUSTER" coming ?????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobLoblaw2005a. Show BobLoblaw2005a's posts

Re: BEN, You told me that a

Pretty sure the voices in your head told you that, not Ben.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to BobLoblaw2005a's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pretty sure the voices in your head told you that, not Ben.

[/QUOTE]  Young man, after only 50 posts, that was a good one !!   Welcome aboard !!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

that is before Hamilton signed with the Angels.   Boston just thought they have a good chance to sign Hamilton and make a good blockbuster trade with probably include Ellsbury, Lavarnway, etc for a good starting pitcher along with a possible infielder in return.

Well, guess we all need to move on.  Signing so many free agents and make as many trades as they can doesnt guarantee WS title.  Look at Angels, Marlins, Dodgers, etc along of course the Red Sox who all made so many moves within last two years, and yet they cant win it all.  Giants and Cardinals made a little moves, and they both won it all in the last two years.

The way I am seeing this winter free agency, too many players are over-paid.  I strongly think that Boston should just rebuild the team by just using as many farm players as they can to see who is a possible future major league players!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

that is before Hamilton signed with the Angels.   Boston just thought they have a good chance to sign Hamilton and make a good blockbuster trade with probably include Ellsbury, Lavarnway, etc for a good starting pitcher along with a possible infielder in return.

Well, guess we all need to move on.  Signing so many free agents and make as many trades as they can doesnt guarantee WS title.  Look at Angels, Marlins, Dodgers, etc along of course the Red Sox who all made so many moves within last two years, and yet they cant win it all.  Giants and Cardinals made a little moves, and they both won it all in the last two years.

The way I am seeing this winter free agency, too many players are over-paid.  I strongly think that Boston should just rebuild the team by just using as many farm players as they can to see who is a possible future major league players!!

[/QUOTE]    We (Sox) have a tendency to "overcook" our farm players then trade them for 34/35 yearolds in the twilight of their game......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

There is no inherent value in a blockbuster.

Trading is basically a 0-sum game.  One team gains value and the other team loses.  

1-The idea that we can trade bits and bobs from our farm to acquire another team's star doesn't happen.

2-Conversely, we aren't selling off our marginal starters and backups for another team's prized prospect.

3-Everyone else thinks like us.  So when you think we can trade a #100 prospect for Andrus, think about how it will look if someone offers their #100 prospect for Pedey.

This is the typical American sense of entitlement.  The reason why we have compulsive gamblers, and the reason why so many people fall for Nigerian scams, and the reason why so many people get caught up in the latest bubbles, is because we have a romanticized ideal of the walk-off grandslam.

Success in life is about 100s of good, small ideas, not a single grandiose lottery hit.  It's the same in BB.  Probably the single most lopsided trade in our lifetime was CL obtaining Cliff Lee, Sizemore, and Brandon Philips for Colon.  And even that trade only allowed CL one playoff appearance.

The story of this franchise has been, and will be, the ability to make 100 smallish moves.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]    We (Sox) have a tendency to "overcook" our farm players then trade them for 34/35 yearolds in the twilight of their game......

[/QUOTE]

And who are the farm players traded for the 34/35 year olds?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]  I guess I am a little frustrated.....  I have always been in favor of developing "our own".....  It almost looks like our kids never get a chance while we go after other teams "futures" or has- beens !!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

we don"t give our kids a prayer.... ever

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

we don"t give our kids a prayer.... ever

[/QUOTE]

Middlebrooks?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That was in the past!!   Boston have made good trade deals from the late 90's to 2006 when they gave up prospects for Pedro Martinez, Lowe/Veteriek, Schilling and Lowell/Beckett.  

LAst time Boston made a bone head trade was that they gave up Bagwell along another prospects for dumb relief pitcher.  That was before Duke took over, and that team was own by a different owner.   Now we have a new front management staffs, new owner and new GM.  Really lately, Theo messed it all up in the last three years which I strongly think that Larry gave him too much independence as a GM in the last three years instead Larry sit next to him every day from the day he became a GM toward to probably 2008.  

Ben C is probably wanted to make a trade this year, but these teams's asking price are ridiculous too high.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]  I guess I am a little frustrated.....  I have always been in favor of developing "our own".....  It almost looks like our kids never get a chance while we go after other teams "futures" or has- beens !!!

[/QUOTE]

It's not enough to create your own reality.  If that's what you want to make up and believe in your own living room, that's fine.  But you can't create an alternate universe and expect others to believe in it.

Kids we kept and developed-

• Pedroia
    • Iglesias
    • Middlebrooks
    • Ellsbury
    • Lester
    • Buchholz
    • Doubront
    • Paps
    • Bard
    • Tazawa

Kids we traded away

• Murphy
    • Masterson
    • Reddick
    • Rizzo
    • Kelly

The first three players still don't have an AS appearance between them, and all three have exactly one good season each.  Rizzo and Kelly, I would argue, were merely replaced by Webster and DLR.

We have overwhelmingly kept and developed our own prospects.  Your reality is the polar opposite of the reality that everyone else shares.  The issue is not the prospects.  The issue is that the FA haven't worked out, as they seldom do for most teams, but more importantly, we haven't made the smaller, complementary moves that seem to escape the less-nuanced posters-Mueller, Bellhorn, Millar, Crisp, Timline, Oki, etc.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's not enough to create your own reality.  If that's what you want to make up and believe in your own living room, that's fine.  But you can't create an alternate universe and expect others to believe in it.

• Pedroia
    • Iglesias
    • Middlebrooks
    • Ellsbury
    • Lester
    • Buchholz
    • Doubront
    • Paps
    • Bard
    • Tazawa

Kids we traded away

• Murphy
    • Masterson
    • Reddick
    • Rizzo
    • Kelly

The first three players still don't have an AS appearance between them, and all three have exactly one good season each.  Rizzo and Kelly, I would argue, were merely replaced by Webster and DLR.

We have overwhelmingly kept and developed our own prospects.  Your reality is the polar opposite of the reality that everyone else shares.  The issue is not the prospects.  The issue is that the FA haven't worked out, as they seldom do for most teams, but more importantly, we haven't made the smaller, complementary moves that seem to escape the less-nuanced posters-Mueller, Bellhorn, Millar, Crisp, Timline, Oki, etc.

[/QUOTE]  Good research........ However, I will call on the board historian to tell us about all the "stiffs" that we have brought in in the same time frame .......  MOON, are you out there ????

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

• Pedroia
    • Iglesias
    • Middlebrooks
    • Ellsbury
    • Lester
    • Buchholz
    • Doubront
    • Paps
    • Bard
    • Tazawa

Kids we traded away

• Murphy
    • Masterson
    • Reddick
    • Rizzo
    • Kelly

[/QUOTE]  Good research........ However, I will call on the board historian to tell us about all the "stiffs" that we have brought in in the same time frame .......  MOON, are you out there ????

[/QUOTE]

You started a thread complaining about blockbusters, a dubious term of art, then you segued into a complaint about 36 y.o. players acquired for prospects, which last happened late last century, then you complained about us not giving our kids a chance, another obvious mistake, and now you want to change the subject to stiffs we brought in?

Haven't you taken enough of a beating today?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

Now your making me look like a fool on this board as we continue to sign players that should be signing up for "BIG O-CARE"  !!!!  When is the "BLOCKBUSTER" coming ?????

[/QUOTE]

Who wants a video store.... We have enough to worry about.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

• Pedroia
    • Iglesias
    • Middlebrooks
    • Ellsbury
    • Lester
    • Buchholz
    • Doubront
    • Paps
    • Bard
    • Tazawa

Kids we traded away

• Murphy
    • Masterson
    • Reddick
    • Rizzo
    • Kelly

[/QUOTE]

cant forget  A sanchez and HanRam. they netted us the 07 championship

anyone know who orchestrated the terms of that trade? a young man named ben :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

cant forget  A sanchez and HanRam. they netted us the 07 championship

anyone know who orchestrated the terms of that trade? a young man named ben :)

Of course, I'm over-simplifying it, but Bill misses the point completely.  There is no one way to treat a prospect.  There is no value judgement attached to them where you keep them or you don't.

If AZ wants to Upton for Barnes, I'm going with the vet.  If KC wants to do Starlin and their last ranked SP for Ells, then I'm going with the kids.  It's really about netting the most value for your farm, not going full farm or no farm.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Bill speaks in absolutes, like all worshippers of fascism.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The issue here is that fans still are living in a fantasy world where they believe the owners want a World Championship. These owners are in it for the money.

They won the championship once, and then it happened again. But, they are not concerned , or haven't been concerned about winning a third.

The real baseball fans have been hooked even before the championships. Even 86 years of misery doesn't dampen the spirit of the "wait until next year" crowd. But, they hooked all the others, for a while. Only when the seats start emptying out and the money stops rolling in will these businessmen/owners start worrying that it might be time to construct a team capable of winning. For now they just want a team capable of keeping the money rolling in. Even signing junk players like Napoli, Gomes and Dempster gives the illusion to the unconcious fairweather fan that they are trying to improve the team's chances....the rest of us should know better, and many of us do.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The issue here is that fans still are living in a fantasy world where they believe the owners want a World Championship. These owners are in it for the money.

They won the championship once, and then it happened again. But, they are not concerned , or haven't been concerned about winning a third.

The real baseball fans have been hooked even before the championships. Even 86 years of misery doesn't dampen the spirit of the "wait until next year" crowd. But, they hooked all the others, for a while. Only when the seats start emptying out and the money stops rolling in will these businessmen/owners start worrying that it might be time to construct a team capable of winning. For now they just want a team capable of keeping the money rolling in. Even signing junk players like Napoli, Gomes and Dempster gives the illusion to the unconcious fairweather fan that they are trying to improve the team's chances....the rest of us should know better, and many of us do.

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely nothing behind that.  If the only thing they wanted was money, they'd have stopped spending.  Why would someone that wanted money, just spend $45M a year?

Past that, you completely miss the human element, the very nature of a man, the very competitive nature of the beast.  There are usually multiple reasons for doing most anything, but the common thread in most people's activities is to prove themselves superior.

When the 30 owners get together, I doubt they are discussing which owner is making the most money, they're probably quietly cursing the owner with the WS ring on his finger.  I seriously, seriously, seriously, doubt that the SF owner is walking around the hotel with his FS in hsi hand.  Much more likely he is quietly tapping on the bar with the WS ring as a reminder to the other owners that he has one, and they don't.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from poprox13. Show poprox13's posts

Well........ we still dont have a SS, maybe that will be the blockbuster we're waiting for?

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from poprox13. Show poprox13's posts

In response to louisthelipp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to poprox13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well........ we still dont have a SS, maybe that will be the blockbuster we're waiting for?

[/QUOTE]

The "blockbuster" was a term that Bill-806 concocted in his own mind. The FO never promised a blockbuster.

Many fans who want us to excel via our farm system are hoping that Iglesias can start hitting and become a great SS for many years.

[/QUOTE]

I hope too, cause it looks like thats what we're going to be stuck with, but my faith says different.

Sections
Shortcuts