Curt Schilling

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

Curt Schilling

FOX 25 News Boston @fox25news 2m

ESPN: Curt Schilling announced today that he has cancer. #fox25

ESPN baseball analyst and former major league pitcher Curt Schilling announced Wednesday that he has cancer.

"I've always believed life is about embracing the gifts and rising up to meet the challenges," Schilling said in a statement released by ESPN. "We've been presented with another challenge, as I've recently been diagnosed with cancer."

In December, ESPN announced that Schilling would be part of its "Sunday Night Baseball" broadcast team for the upcoming season. It also announced a multiyear contract extension with him.

ESPN did not say what Schilling's broadcast plans will be for the upcoming season.

"Our thoughts are with Curt and his family during this challenging time," the network said in a statement. "His ESPN teammates wish him continued strength in his cancer fight and we look forward to welcoming him back to our baseball coverage whenever he's ready."

Schilling, 47, pitched in the majors for 20 seasons with the Baltimore Orioles, Houston Astros, Philadelphia Phillies, Arizona Diamondbacks and Boston Red Sox. The six-time All-Star finished with a record of 216-146 and a 3.46 ERA. His 3,116 strikeouts rank 15th all time.

The right-hander, though, was best known for his performances in the postseason. In 19 playoff starts, he compiled an 11-2 record with four complete games and a 2.23 ERA. He'll forever be a part of Red Sox lore, helping them to World Series titles in 2004 and '07.

Schilling also won a title as a member of the Diamondbacks in 2001, when he shared MVP honors with fellow starter Randy Johnson.

Last year, Schilling told The Boston Globe he had a heart attack in November 2011 and had surgery to place a stent in one of his arteries. He said he experienced chest pains while watching his wife, Shonda, run in the New York City Marathon.

Shonda Schilling also battled cancer after being diagnosed with stage 2 malignant melanoma in 2001.

"Shonda and I want to send a sincere thank you and our appreciation to those who have called and sent prayers, and we ask that if you are so inclined, to keep the Schilling family in your prayers," Schilling said in his statement.

He added: "My father left me with a saying that I've carried my entire life and tried to pass on to our kids: 'Tough times don't last, tough people do.' Over the years in Boston, the kids at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute have shown us what that means.

"With my incredibly talented medical team I'm ready to try and win another big game. I've been so very blessed and I feel grateful for what God has allowed my family to have and experience, and I'll embrace this fight just like the rest of them, with resolute faith and head on."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Curt Schilling

A good man and a Sox hero forever. There would be no 2004 championship without Schilling. Why not us? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Dang.  Cancer.  Stay strong Curt.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

A good man and a Sox hero forever. There would be no 2004 championship without Schilling. Why not us? 

His heart has always in the right place and wish him all the best. Doesn't say what type of cancer and his prognosis, which is concerning.

When I read it, gale I thought the same thing. No Schilling, no Championship. We may still be waiting. Thanksgiving 2003, tapping on my shoulder. I turned to see and hear my nephew...The Red Sox got Schilling. I jumped up from the table and rushed into the family room to see the TV. I remember thinking, this may finally be our year. And was it ever. Why not us, turned into it was us.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Can we connect the dots between smokeless tobacco, baseball and this illness? CVS announced today they will stop selling cigarettes. Joe Garigiola has been trying to get smokeless banned for years from the dugouts. Baseball has a disgusting habit.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Schilling's allowing the doctors to put in temporary sutures and then continuing to play while bleeding through the sock is one of the gutsiest things I've ever seen in baseball.  In this age when some players can't play on consecutive days because of hangnails Schilling epitomized "taking one for the team".  

In this day and age not all cancers are created equal.  Let's hope he has one of the lesser ones.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

His heart has always in the right place and wish him all the best. Doesn't say what type of cancer and his prognosis, which is concerning.

When I read it, gale I thought the same thing. No Schilling, no Championship. We may still be waiting. Thanksgiving 2003, tapping on my shoulder. I turned to see and hear my nephew...The Red Sox got Schilling. I jumped up from the table and rushed into the family room to see the TV. I remember thinking, this may finally be our year. And was it ever. Why not us, turned into it was us.

Yeah. Which type of cancer it is makes all the difference in the world.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to 2013soxchamps' comment:

FOX 25 News Boston @fox25news 2m

ESPN: Curt Schilling announced today that he has cancer. #fox25

ESPN baseball analyst and former major league pitcher Curt Schilling announced Wednesday that he has cancer.

"I've always believed life is about embracing the gifts and rising up to meet the challenges," Schilling said in a statement released by ESPN. "We've been presented with another challenge, as I've recently been diagnosed with cancer."

In December, ESPN announced that Schilling would be part of its "Sunday Night Baseball" broadcast team for the upcoming season. It also announced a multiyear contract extension with him.

ESPN did not say what Schilling's broadcast plans will be for the upcoming season.

"Our thoughts are with Curt and his family during this challenging time," the network said in a statement. "His ESPN teammates wish him continued strength in his cancer fight and we look forward to welcoming him back to our baseball coverage whenever he's ready."

Schilling, 47, pitched in the majors for 20 seasons with the Baltimore Orioles, Houston Astros, Philadelphia Phillies, Arizona Diamondbacks and Boston Red Sox. The six-time All-Star finished with a record of 216-146 and a 3.46 ERA. His 3,116 strikeouts rank 15th all time.

The right-hander, though, was best known for his performances in the postseason. In 19 playoff starts, he compiled an 11-2 record with four complete games and a 2.23 ERA. He'll forever be a part of Red Sox lore, helping them to World Series titles in 2004 and '07.

Schilling also won a title as a member of the Diamondbacks in 2001, when he shared MVP honors with fellow starter Randy Johnson.

Last year, Schilling told The Boston Globe he had a heart attack in November 2011 and had surgery to place a stent in one of his arteries. He said he experienced chest pains while watching his wife, Shonda, run in the New York City Marathon.

Shonda Schilling also battled cancer after being diagnosed with stage 2 malignant melanoma in 2001.

"Shonda and I want to send a sincere thank you and our appreciation to those who have called and sent prayers, and we ask that if you are so inclined, to keep the Schilling family in your prayers," Schilling said in his statement.

He added: "My father left me with a saying that I've carried my entire life and tried to pass on to our kids: 'Tough times don't last, tough people do.' Over the years in Boston, the kids at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute have shown us what that means.

"With my incredibly talented medical team I'm ready to try and win another big game. I've been so very blessed and I feel grateful for what God has allowed my family to have and experience, and I'll embrace this fight just like the rest of them, with resolute faith and head on."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

So sorry to hear this. The C word seems to be rearing its ugly head a lot lately.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

What do you mean by "why not us"??

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Curt Schilling was the epitome of a team player.

Thank you Curt for the gift you gave use and sincerely hope you win this battle.

And, thank you, my left-leaning friends for transgressing personal politics to wish him the best.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

Three words sum everything up. Inside Fenway this weekend, they were selling blue T-shirts for $25 that simply said, "WHY NOT US?" They were selling like hot cakes.

Why not us?

Of course, Schilling started that bandwagon. He's the one who kept repeating that phrase over and over before the playoffs, and now we're here -- two wins away from that giant group hug -- and I'm kicking myself for not buying one of those T-shirts last night. Sometimes in life, you just have to believe.

Bill Simmons is a columnist for Page 2 and ESPN The Magazine. His Sports Guy's World site is updated every day Monday through Friday.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

http://sonsofsamhorn.net/topic/47158-the-shirt-that-started-it-all-why-not-us-t-shirts-and-curts-pitch-for-als-hats-pay-what-you-want/

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I remember the DD commercial before ST that year when he said he was headed to Boston because he had a curse to break...The Schillings have gone through this before with Shonda, now Curt. Prayers to the family for the battle they are about to encounter.

Love him or hate him, Schill will forever have a "Free Pass" in Boston for what he did for this city. Hes a true competitor.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Three words sum everything up. Inside Fenway this weekend, they were selling blue T-shirts for $25 that simply said, "WHY NOT US?" They were selling like hot cakes.

Why not us?

Of course, Schilling started that bandwagon. He's the one who kept repeating that phrase over and over before the playoffs, and now we're here -- two wins away from that giant group hug -- and I'm kicking myself for not buying one of those T-shirts last night. Sometimes in life, you just have to believe.

Bill Simmons is a columnist for Page 2 and ESPN The Magazine. His Sports Guy's World site is updated every day Monday through Friday.

Oops..okay. Thanks. I guess I was reading that comment the wrong way due to recent events...my bad. Thanks for clearing it up.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

Why not us?

Oops..okay. Thanks. I guess I was reading that comment the wrong way due to recent events...my bad. Thanks for clearing it up.

I knew it was something one of them said during that run....forgot it was Curt. I had to look it up myself Laughing

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Yeah. Which type of cancer it is makes all the difference in the world.

Absolutely. When you are first diagnosed it hits you like a brick and all you can think about is wrapping up your affairs. I know: I was diagnosed with it a little over two years ago. But as you said, not all cancers are created equal. Some are curable; some do not require any treatment at all (like mine) other than judicious monitoring. Some are sort of chronic, requiring treatment off and on for many many years. And others are much much worse. I have not yet heard what kind of cancer Schilling has.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:

In response to ampoule's comment:

Thank you Curt for the gift you gave use and sincerely hope you win this battle.

And, thank you, my left-leaning friends for transgressing personal politics to wish him the best.

NEVER NEVER thought of  his politics until you just mentioned it.  Why was it necessary for to inject politics into a thread about cancer?

Because MANY here have bad-mouthed him in the past because of his conservative views.

Besides, my comment was innocuous.  Your response is the inflammatory one.  Do something which is foreign to you.  That is, don't create dissention that doesn't exist or wasn't remotely intended to.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

" Why not us" was Schilling's motto for the team in 2004.  Somebody has to win it. " Why not us" ?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Amyone who found fault with this post spends way too much time looking for things to find fault with.

Some things simply transcend politics.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Amyone who found fault with this post spends way too much time looking for things to find fault with.

Some things simply transcend politics.

Thanks...sincerely!!

And, thank you for correcting my wrong word..LOL.  Yes, transcend was what I had in mind.  Silly me.

I'm curious.  Is there a story behind 'S5' ?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:

Are you inferring that Curt smoked or chewed? I plead ignorance on those facts.

Why not let the thread be about all of the good qualities that Schilling had and why we NEVER would have won the 2004 ALCS and WS without him?

However I applaud the stance taken by CVS  about selling tobacco today. But out of respect for Schilling, why not let this thread be about him instead of going off on multiple tangents in an effort to generate a conflict, controversy, and gossip.

Start a thread about the CVS decision if you wish.  You apparently know how to start threads. A thread about drugstores not selling tobacco products should be a huge success here. BDC will permit such a thread since the KFC and Anchor beer thread from Cambodia was a huge success and they permitted it and welcomed it. 

There is no conflict, until you decide to respond. There is just my statement. You are the conflict loving epitome of everything wrong with this site.

Sections
Shortcuts