RIghty Bat is not Walking Through that Clubhouse Door

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

RIghty Bat is not Walking Through that Clubhouse Door

Let's say the trade deadline was June 30. Take a look at the teams out of it, and then scan their rosters for a RH power bat. Start with Houston, theyre dead in the water, would you take Chris Carter, 15 40 .243? Seatlle's probably out of it, but all their healthy power is LH, Michael Morse is hurt again 11 23 .251. Jason Bay? 8 17 .220. Go to the NL, Milwaukee is cooked, and Ryan Braun will be suspended, Yuniesky Bettancourt has 8 homers, never hit more than 16 in a season...The Cubs have Cody Ransom, he's got 8 homers in 34 games, but he's 37 and a classic Bull Durham minor leaguer. Alfonzo Soriano, 7 homers and terrible defense, no thanks. That leaves the Padres, but their playing .500 ball, so not likely.

The fabled RH bat is either going to be Middlebrooks or someone from Pawtucket, because the other options at the deadline just don't exist.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: RIghty Bat is not Walking Through that Clubhouse Door

A RH bat is mostly impractical anyway.  Against lefties, Ells, Vic, Papi, Iggy, and Pedey are locks to start.  With Napoli and Gomes, you couldn't upgarde v lefties without a major trade, and probably wouldn't be worth it.  There aren't enough catchers that can hit to replace Ross.  Like Moon said, the only way to add some RH pop would be to add a RH 3B and shift Iggy to SS against lefties.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think it is less likely we fill our other biggest hole: top of rotation SP.

Here are some other possible RH'd names:

A Ramirez (Milw)

M Young (Phil)

C Quentin (SD)

Cuddyer (Col)

C Gomez (Milw)

G Stanton (Mia)

Braun (Milw)\

I agree; it is doubtful we make a huge deal, but there are some big bats that can be had.

Sox4ever

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

A Ramirez (Milw)

M Young (Phil)

C Quentin (SD)

Cuddyer (Col)

C Gomez (Milw)

G Stanton (Mia)

Braun (Milw)\

I agree; it is doubtful we make a huge deal, but there are some big bats that can be had.

Sox4ever

ARam is owed $25M for the next 1.5 years, assuming his option is not picked up.

Young is a pretty big defensive liability, and the marginal offensive upgrade wouldn't cover that.

My feeling is that Stanton will be overpriced as well.  He still has a 468/165 career ration, and even his CY K/W is only 36/15.  By no means terrible, but how many elite hitters got much past about 2:1?  And he's missed a fair amount of games.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Giancarlo Stanton's age comparables according to Baseball Reference include Juan Gonzalez and Tony Conigliaro. He's 23. I dream about getting him without losing Bogaerts but just about anyone else in minors okay.

Nuff said.

Lesser favored options Aramis Ramirez @ 3b or Alex Rios --would need to trade Gomes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

With Ross possibly done , maybe retiring ( ?) we need Lavarnway to step up quick. I hear Miguel Olivo ( Miami, restricted list, attitude ? ) and Kelly Shoppach ( recently dfa'd by Seattle) are available. Cupboard looking bare out there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Bogaerts ( and hopefully Middlebrooks ) are the righty bats of the near future.  It would not make sense to trade top prospects for a righty bat at this time.  For the most part , scoring runs has not been the problem .  The areas where help is most needed are starting pitching and closer.  I would like to see what our top minor league pitchers can do before looking for a trade. Maybe at least one of them can be the man.  Webster does not look to be ready, but maybe one of the others.  The Mets have rejuvenated their team with Harvey and Wheeler. Maybe we can do the same.  

Stabbed by Foulke

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

[QUOTE]

A Ramirez (Milw)

M Young (Phil)

C Quentin (SD)

Cuddyer (Col)

C Gomez (Milw)

G Stanton (Mia)

Braun (Milw)\

Sox4ever

ARam is owed $25M for the next 1.5 years, assuming his option is not picked up.

Young is a pretty big defensive liability, and the marginal offensive upgrade wouldn't cover that.

My feeling is that Stanton will be overpriced as well.  He still has a 468/165 career ration, and even his CY K/W is only 36/15.  By no means terrible, but how many elite hitters got much past about 2:1?  And he's missed a fair amount of games.

[/QUOTE]

A Ram's high contractual cost is what makes is cost in prospects much less, but he could be in a continuing downward spiral after a very nice 2012 season.

I'm not a M Young fan either, but I do feel he is a significant offensive upgrade over a Drew/Middlebrooks platoon (Iggy rotating between 3B and SS). The loss on defense with Young at 3B instead of Middlebrooks is made up for by the gain at SS with Iggy over Drew.

Stanton's cost would be huge, but he might be that "one guy" you njust have to get.

Quentin and Cuddyer might be relatively cheap, but unless Victorino is expected to be out for a long time, or Nava continues struggling until the deadline, I don't see us getting a marginal upgrade in OF offense.

My bet is we wait until this winter to fill one of the two big holes.

We may make a pen move or an insurance SP minor move, but I doubt we go blockbuster this July.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Bogaerts ( and hopefully Middlebrooks ) are the righty bats of the near future.  It would not make sense to trade top prospects for a righty bat at this time.  For the most part , scoring runs has not been the problem .  The areas where help is most needed are starting pitching and closer.  I would like to see what our top minor league pitchers can do before looking for a trade. Maybe at least one of them can be the man.  Webster does not look to be ready, but maybe one of the others.  The Mets have rejuvenated their team with Harvey and Wheeler. Maybe we can do the same.  

Stabbed by Foulke

A trade for a 3Bman under team control for 2 months or a year and 2 months would not necessarily impede Bogaerts growth or promotion. Also, Middlebrooks mat be moved to 1B next year as Napoli departs, that is, if he gets past his funk (or whatever it is).

Bogaerts may also play 1B someday soon.

In general, I am not for trades for rental players, but 3B seems to be the prime situation for such a deal this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Welcome to the Bigs Mr.Brentz, I'd rather see the kids than another retread!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke

A trade for a 3Bman under team control for 2 months or a year and 2 months would not necessarily impede Bogaerts growth or promotion. Also, Middlebrooks mat be moved to 1B next year as Napoli departs, that is, if he gets past his funk (or whatever it is).

In general, I am not for trades for rental players, but 3B seems to be the prime situation for such a deal this year.

[/QUOTE] You want Bogaerts to be up in September getting his feet wet,no matter where you play him. Brentz gets the call up next. Then after Jake walks JBJ takes his place. Just need one of the catchers to finally grow up! Butler,Vasquez,Weems, Swihart and even the NKOTB Denney!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You want Bogaerts to be up in September getting his feet wet,no matter where you play him. Brentz gets the call up next. Then after Jake walks JBJ takes his place. Just need one of the catchers to finally grow up! Butler,Vasquez,Weems, Swihart and even the NKOTB Denney!

This would be great, but I do not think the odds are great that all of these kids make it in a significant way within the next year and a half. That's why I think Ben may look for a bridge player or more (a player under team control for more than 1.3 years.

CF: Ellsbury> JBJ (or Brentz with Victorino moving back to CF)

SS: Drew> Iggy

1B: Napoli> Middlebrooks (or Bogaerts)

3B: Middlbrooks> Bogaerts

C: Salty> Lava/Vazquez/Swihart

That's 4 prospects plus Middlebrooks all needed to do well enough to keep us competitive. I seriously doubt Ben gambles that much on the youth card for 2014.

I think Ben chooses the one he thinks is the weakest link or the one slot he feels is farthest away from the bigs to acquire a player. It may not be this deadline, unless it's to make a ring push, but I do think Ben makes a big splash trade or signing by the start of 2014. It may be 1B/3B, but with Ellsbury leaving, Victorino already looking frail, and Nava/Gomes looking sketchy, it may be an OF'er.

Sox4ever

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Sort of agree on the turnover coming, plus 3b situation. Aramis Ramirez would allow trading Middlebrooks, or sending him to AAA to work out stuff. Coming arrivals of Bogaerts or even Almanzar or Cecchini dovetail nicely with 1 1/2 years of A-Ram.

Pretty sure, unless Lavarnway really shines for rest of this year; Ben makes serious effort to re-sign Salty.  I think Ross may be done.

Carp can play 1b, or Nava...if we don't keep Naps.  Not at all worried about Iggy. Maybe we can get 1 year more of Ells on a pillow deal if he and Boras aren't ready to "spin the wheel " ?

If Ells is gone, and JBJr doesn't blossom, Kalish is still around to caddy for Victorino. Obviously prefer Stanton to Brentz for right field.     But as a famous English philosopher once said, ' You can't always get what you want ".

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

And, Mr. Galehouse, A-Ram probably wouldn't cost  " top prospects "....it's a salary dump deal.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I can say that without resevation the next best hitter to come out of the Sox system is Garin Cecchini. He's hit a ton at all levels and AA hasn't even slowed him down. Xander Bogaerts is next on the list of hitters followed by Brentz,JBJ, and Swihart who is swinging the bat closer to what was expected when they drafted him, then last years below average year. To bad they couldn't get Ryan Boldt to sign this year(up until this writing), the kid was the best H.S. prospect in Minnesota. One other prospect too watch is Michael Alamanzar, he has power and he's become a disciplined hitter. He's come a long way from the 16 year old kid they signed 5 years ago!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to jimedfred's comment:

Sort of agree on the turnover coming, plus 3b situation. Aramis Ramirez would allow trading Middlebrooks, or sending him to AAA to work out stuff. Coming arrivals of Bogaerts or even Almanzar or Cecchini dovetail nicely with 1 1/2 years of A-Ram.

Pretty sure, unless Lavarnway really shines for rest of this year; Ben makes serious effort to re-sign Salty.  I think Ross may be done.

Carp can play 1b, or Nava...if we don't keep Naps.  Not at all worried about Iggy. Maybe we can get 1 year more of Ells on a pillow deal if he and Boras aren't ready to "spin the wheel " ?

If Ells is gone, and JBJr doesn't blossom, Kalish is still around to caddy for Victorino. Obviously prefer Stanton to Brentz for right field.     But as a famous English philosopher once said, ' You can't always get what you want ".

I didn't know that Mick Jagger was a famous English philosopher! LOL though he might have multi-personality disorder because he answers himself in the very next line by saying,If you try sometime,you might find,  you get what you need.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  And if they agreed to eat 8 M of ARAM's salary.  I'd take him on for two mid level prospects.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke

[/QUOTE] You want Bogaerts to be up in September getting his feet wet,no matter where you play him. Brentz gets the call up next. Then after Jake walks JBJ takes his place. Just need one of the catchers to finally grow up! Butler,Vasquez,Weems, Swihart and even the NKOTB Denney!

[/QUOTE]

Incorrect.  You want to be fighting for the division in September.  Not worrying about the future.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

If we are going to make a trade, Id rather it be for a bat than a pitcher.

I'm starting to think we should hand the ball to Ruby De La Rosa in the 9th.  After a terrible start, his ERA is under 3 in AAA.  Flamethrower.  Relief pitching experience.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

To ask for 5 positions to be turned over to prospects or young guys like Iggy and Middlebrooks is not going to happen. Ben is going to choose one of two positions to get a vet- either a bridge type vet or a big splash kind of guy that fills that RH'd middle of the order slot we have been longing for over a long period of time.

CF: Ellsbury> JBJ (or Brentz with Victorino moving back to CF)

SS: Drew> Iggy

1B: Napoli> Middlebrooks (or Bogaerts)

3B: Middlbrooks> Bogaerts

C: Salty> Lava/Vazquez/Swihart

Salty may be back, but I don't see Drew or Ellsbury back. If Middlebrooks never regains, we'd be relying on Iggy (SS), Bogaerts (3B), Bradley (CF), and Carp/Nava (1B) for 2014. While I see all of these a possibilities, what are the chances all of them work out well next year? I'd say, "slim to none". The hard part is picking the slot that seems mosdt likely to need help. We may get a bridge corner IF'er and a big splash OF'er, but I think it is more likely we get a big splash 3B or 1Bman and patch the OF if needed.

Sox4ever

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Bryce Brentz?  Bryce Brentz showed a lack of raw power in 2012, shot himself this offseason at a very inopportune time (what?), has a low OBP in Pawtucket this year.  Is 24, so is getting close to that age where "he should be called up by now" and is falling fast in soxprospect.com rankings (which should be taken w a grain of salt).

Bradley JR has a .900 OPS (as opposed to Brentz .817), is younger, and plays far superior D.

I dont know why you would look to Brentz.  JBJ or look externally.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to youkillus' comment:

Let's say the trade deadline was June 30. Take a look at the teams out of it, and then scan their rosters for a RH power bat. Start with Houston, theyre dead in the water, would you take Chris Carter, 15 40 .243? Seatlle's probably out of it, but all their healthy power is LH, Michael Morse is hurt again 11 23 .251. Jason Bay? 8 17 .220. Go to the NL, Milwaukee is cooked, and Ryan Braun will be suspended, Yuniesky Bettancourt has 8 homers, never hit more than 16 in a season...The Cubs have Cody Ransom, he's got 8 homers in 34 games, but he's 37 and a classic Bull Durham minor leaguer. Alfonzo Soriano, 7 homers and terrible defense, no thanks. That leaves the Padres, but their playing .500 ball, so not likely.

The fabled RH bat is either going to be Middlebrooks or someone from Pawtucket, because the other options at the deadline just don't exist.

I agree with Youk.  Look homeward. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Bryce Brentz?  Bryce Brentz showed a lack of raw power in 2012, shot himself this offseason at a very inopportune time (what?), has a low OBP in Pawtucket this year.  Is 24, so is getting close to that age where "he should be called up by now" and is falling fast in soxprospect.com rankings (which should be taken w a grain of salt).

Bradley JR has a .900 OPS (as opposed to Brentz .817), is younger, and plays far superior D.

I dont know why you would look to Brentz.  JBJ or look externally.

I agree, JBJ looks like a way better alternative than Brentz. Plus, he plays CF as well.

As for the "grain of salt" comment about soxprospects.com, I think they have done a pretty good job over the years. It's not easy ranking prospects, and they rarely rate anybody with an 7 or more.

Here are the all Sox players they have placed in the top 3 in at least one of their 3 seasonal rankings (significant players left out of top 3 and their highest ranking that year):

2003: Youk, Lester, HanRam, F Sanchez, J. de la Rosa (Shoppach 4, David Murphy 7)

2004: HanRam, Youk, Lester, Pedroia, B Moss, Shoppach, A Alavarez (Papelbon 4)

2005: HanRam, Papelbon, Pedroia, Lester, A Sanchez, B Moss (C Hansen 5)

2006: Ellsbury, Papelbon, Pedroia,  Lester, Buchholz, Hansen, Bowden (Delcarmen 4, Bard 6, Lowrie 12)

2007: Buchholz, Ellsbury, Bowden (Lars 4, Masterson 5, Lowrie 5, Moss 5, Bard 9, Kalish 9)

2008: Buchholz, Ellsbury, Masterson, Lars, Bowden, Reddick, Lowrie (Kelly 5,Bard 6, Almanzar 4, Westmlnd 7)

2009: Lars, Kelly, Bowden, Reddick, Bard, Kalish ( Westmrlnd 4, Taz 5, Hagad 6, Rizzo 8, Doub 11)

2010: Kelly, Kalish, Lars, Reddick, Rizzo (Iggy 5, Doub 6, Ranaud0 7, Midd 10)

2011: Kalish, Middlebrooks, Iggy, Doubront, Ranaudo (Bogaerts 4, Britton 4, Navarro 5, Pimental 5, Midd 6)

2012: Bogaerts, Midd, Barnes, Ranaudo, JBJ (Iggy 4, Webster 4, Lava 5, Brentz 5, Cecchini 6, Barnes 7, Swi 7)

2013:

1) Bogaerts

2) JBJ

3) Webster/Barnes

4) Cecchini/ Webster

5) Barnes/de la Rosa

6) Ranaudo/Brentz

7) de la Rosa/Cecchini

8) Owens/Swihart

9) Swihart/Owens

10) Brentz/Iggy (no longer a prospect)

I think they've done a rather remarkable job with their top rankings.

Sections
Shortcuts