Sox and Dempster in serious discussions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Re: Sox and Dempster in serious discussions

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He has a WAR the last 5 seasons of 18.1 which ranks 19th in all of baseball for starting pitchers.

What happened five years ago

[/QUOTE]

How about last season then. Does that count when deciding if a guy is good or not? Also pitched more then half of his innings in the AL last year.

He ranked 26th in ERA, 32nd in WAR, and 39th in xFIP among starters with atleast 100 innings pitched.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

If they sign this guy and the clowns they signed in the off season, its to show the fans and the press that look we gave it the old college try and signed high character, low production guys and see we are trying to spend money. Its all smoke and mirrors. Unless they get a Annibal Sanchez or Hamilton, I am not wasting my time paying for a baseball package or watching this team play. This clown of a GM could not hit water if he fell out of a boat. His signings and trades last year were atrocious and he should have been shown the door when Epstein went to Chicago. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to Flattiehater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This would be a good signing. Two years with a team option for a third. Maximum.

[/QUOTE]

He's not an American League pitcher. Did you see what he did last year against good teams?

And he's 35.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

dempester would be a terrible signing, without question, did the sox fo not see how hard he got hit while he was on texas? he is a NL pitcher, he does not belong in the AL. This is a joke, anibal sanchez is still on the board and yet we are trying to sign a 35 yr old NL pitcher who got destroyed in the AL last year.

Ryan Dempster went 7-3 with a 5.09 ERA and WAR of 1.2 in 12 starts for the Texas Rangers.

Last season Jon Lester posted a WAR of 3.3 in 33 starts, Felix Doubront a WAR of 2.1 in 29 starts, Clay Buchholz a WAR of 1.9 in 29 starts and Josh Beckett a WAR of 1.8 in 21 starts for the Red Sox.

[/QUOTE]

Which would equate to a dumb, dumb signing. Up there with Victorino and Napoli.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's a .500 pitcher averaging 200 inn. a year. He'll be 36 at the start of next season.

He knows how to pitch, how to keep his team in the game and he will be a great influence on the younger pitchers. I would say get Marcum or Jackson or trade for Floyd and trade either Lester or Buch whichever one can get the best return. Trade Ells and sign The Splendid Swisher and we should be good to go.

[/QUOTE]

Excuse me? Someone who lives in Chicago and saw how Dumpster screwed the Cubs over, he would not be a good influence. He was set to be traded to Atlanta, but he nixed the deal, because he didn't want to go to Atlanta. Boo hoo cry baby Ryan.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Had enough of Cherry yet?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

It seems as though the only one who would like the signing is the kool aid drinking carnie.

Enough said.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would rather bring back Penny and Smoltz...lol

[/QUOTE]

Paul Byrd, anyone?

[/QUOTE]

Heck i'd take Bill Lee right about now

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Im starting to think that Cherington is a Yankee Mole....there is no other explanation for his signings

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

It doesnt bother me that we are in serious discussions w Dempster.  I actually think he'd be an okay #4 pitcher even in teh AL east.  However, Im concerned that we are in serious talks AFTER Dempster immediately turned down 2/25.

How much north of that are we really willing to go?  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

He's a .500 pitcher averaging 200 inn. a year. He'll be 36 at the start of next season.

He knows how to pitch, how to keep his team in the game and he will be a great influence on the younger pitchers. I would say get Marcum or Jackson or trade for Floyd and trade either Lester or Buch whichever one can get the best return. Trade Ells and sign The Splendid Swisher and we should be good to go.

[/QUOTE]

Excuse me? Someone who lives in Chicago and saw how Dumpster screwed the Cubs over, he would not be a good influence. He was set to be traded to Atlanta, but he nixed the deal, because he didn't want to go to Atlanta. Boo hoo cry baby Ryan.

[/QUOTE]

I had forgotten about this, and it is a valid point.  I hate it when players veto trades.  It's like do you really want to stay here , where you are not wanted.  Imagine having to deal w/ that akwardness on a day in day out basis.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What was the deal with that?  I remember reading that he has a kid with some serious health condition and that he had just got divorced and somehow that played into his decision but that doesn't really add up since he ended up going to Texas.

Unless Dempster is coming back towards the Sox this doens't make sense because if Dempster turned down 2/25 and the Sox are going beyond that I say NO THANK YOU.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Ryan Dempster reminds me of Hiroki Kuroda of last offseason, but a year younger. Like Kuroda, Dempster is considered a National League pitcher. Here are the numbers for Kuroda's four-year National League career and the numbers for Dempster's last five seasons (all but 12 starts in the National League):

Kuroda 41-46 WL, 699.0 IP, 3.45 ERA, 1.19 WHIP, 523 K, 163 BB, 113 ERA+

Dempster 65-49 WL, 997 IP, 3.74 ERA, 1.30 WHIP, 911 K, 361 BB, 114 ERA+

Kuroda has been valued at 15.8 WAR over the last five years, including his successful 2012 season in the AL East, while Dempster has been valued at 18.1 WAR over the same period.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

i'll reserve judgement until all details of any deal are released, but that's a lot of payroll to earmark for a pitcher past his prime.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I'd rather see them bring Dice-K back instead of signing Dempster.It would be less money with a higher upside

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Great! Let's destroy another fine reliever by making him start. (See Bard)

[/QUOTE]

2 points.

Aceves has started in the ML in 2008, 2009 and 2011.  Bard had not started since 2007 in class A ball. Bard had an ERA of over 7 runs a game in that one year he started as a pro.

Aceves had an ERA of 5.36 last year.  I am not sure how much more he could be "destroyed" by starting.

I don't get this comparison at all.

Maybe I should have been more specific. Aceves should be in the pen, but not as a closer.

However, the "comparison" is still valid. Even with the horrible 2012 stats added to Aceves' career relief numbers, take a look for yourself:

Aceves as a starter:  2-1  4.18 in 9 starts with a 1.394 WHIP

Aceves as a reliever: 24-12  3.45 in 174 gms with a 1.102 WHIP

(The numbers were much more striking before his time as a closer brought them even this close.)

I guess one could argue we already "destroyed" Alfredo in 2012.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The Sox if they sign Ryan Dempster are only looking to fill the number 5 spot in the rotation. I do agree that his best work has been done in the NL.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Gee, would anyone be surprised if the Sox sign him? I've been saying all along that he has been Ben's target.

when are most of you going to wake up and agree with me that Ben Cherington is not a good GM.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Sox if they sign Ryan Dempster are only looking to fill the number 5 spot in the rotation. I do agree that his best work has been done in the NL.

[/QUOTE]

Striving to fill the 5 slot will never get us anywhere.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

There is something wrong here. Either Ben has been told to keep the payroll down , or he is a very poor judge of talent.  Last year , the excuse for bringing in all the ham and eggers was that the payroll was maxed out. Now , with money freed up from the L.A. deal , we are getting more mediocrities. The top players are going elsewhere.  Can you imagine Dempster pitching in Yankee Stadium ?  There is something wrong here.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It doesnt bother me that we are in serious discussions w Dempster.  I actually think he'd be an okay #4 pitcher even in teh AL east.  However, Im concerned that we are in serious talks AFTER Dempster immediately turned down 2/25.

How much north of that are we really willing to go?  

[/QUOTE]

And then who is our #3 pitcher? Doubront, Lackey etc?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

This is a bad move.  How about taking a chance on Jackson or Lohse before demptster.  I would rather try Morales or Aceves for the money there going to pay Dempster.  Bad deal.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

had enough of Ben?

told you all so LAST YEAR...

the guy is a joke...all that payroll freed and this is what he gives us?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

In response to bigdog1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is a bad move.  How about taking a chance on Jackson or Lohse before demptster.  I would rather try Morales or Aceves for the money there going to pay Dempster.  Bad deal.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. I have been saying this from the start. If you cannot get Sanchez, then sign Marcum. He is a good pitcher. Lohse is a better option as is Morales and Aceves. Anyone but Dempster.

Sections
Shortcuts