Stephen Drew will not accept the qualifying offer that Boston made him!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Re: Stephen Drew will not accept the qualifying offer that Boston made him!

The people have spoken and there are not many dissimilar comments. No solid ones either.

Rafael Furcal, Brock Holt, Johnny Mc, Xander; pck up a FA that can catch and throw or trade WMB as part of a blockbuster trade for Tulo or pick up Robert Andino that killed us at the plate in 2011 and 12 with the O's.

The guy I would like to see is Brendan Ryan. He's a FA---he plays a great SS--give him 3 years at $18, or whatever, and you may have settled your SS position. Check him out on Baseball Reference for stats.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to tvfrank's comment:

No team has a worse record of keeping good SS's than Boston.

No team has had more busts there as well.

Players who did well before coming here, but not here.

Players that did well once they left here.

Players that did both.

Was Lugo good when we dumped him?

Did anyone really want Renteria to stick around?

Scutaro was no longer a SS when we dumped him.

You want to give Farrell back to Toronto for Aviles?

Lowrie is better at 2B or 3B.

Iggy is one I wish we'd have kept, but the jury is still out on that one.

The jury has just rendered a verdict. A bad trade. A deadline panic move. We gave up a sensational young shortstop for a past his prime pitcher. The spin is that Peavy helped us win a championship. The truth is that he had little to do with it. Whatever he contributed, Workman or Doubront could have done as well or better. 

I would actually say it worked it really well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Players that did both.

The jury has just rendered a verdict. A bad trade. A deadline panic move. We gave up a sensational young shortstop for a past his prime pitcher. The spin is that Peavy helped us win a championship. The truth is that he had little to do with it. Whatever he contributed, Workman or Doubront could have done as well or better. 

I would actually say it worked it really well.

It cannot work out any better.  We signed him cheap, he played great, we won the WSC, and hopefully we get a pick.

That's the triple crown of FA signings.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

Players that did both.

You dont know that. I love when fans say "x" WOULD have happened or "could have done better" like it was going to happen.  Even if likely, you dont know that. No one knows what WOULD have happened.  Middlebrooks "could have done better" than Papi as DH the whole playoffs, too, right?

However what DID happen was, Iggy didnt help Detroit get past Boston, something a lot of people thought "would" happen.  And, the final conglomeration of players, including Peavey, WON THE WORLD SERIES.

That's all you "know."  I don't care what Peavey/Iglacias do for the rest of their careers. It was about winning, this year. Mission accomplished.

Dont forget that it was two key errors by Iglesias that allowed us to beat Detroit. He may have done more for us than we know!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Dont forget that it was two key errors by Iglesias that allowed us to beat Detroit. He may have done more for us than we know!

That's what I say too.  I think dgalehouse is in denial about the 2 critical errors by sensational Iggy.

The play on Ellsbury's ground ball in Game 6 wasn't easy but a slick play there could have been an inning-ending DP and a win for the Tigers.  Iggy flat out muffed it.  No question he makes more than his share of web gems, but it's a fact he made 2 critical errors in this series, despite only starting 4 times. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I'm happy with the draft choice.

BINGO that, Mr Moon......  Let RED SOX NATION know that MOON & BILL-806 , concur !!!!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to greatplayer's comment:

Lugo didn't play great in 2007, but he played a lot better than Drew. 

Hahaha...absurd.

Drew 2013 .777 OPS .984 Fielding % +6.7 UZR/150

Lugo 2007 .643 OPS .968 Fielding % -0.6 UZR/150

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

He didnt play great, had a 700's OPS in the part-time season workload that resulted from missing games with injuries.

How many SS had a better OPS this year?

Lugo didn't play great in 2007, but he played a lot better than Drew. 

Hahaha...by what standard?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Drew not accepting is fine with me.  

Boston gets a draft pick and Bogearts is ready to play full-time in the majors.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

Players that did both.

You dont know that. I love when fans say "x" WOULD have happened or "could have done better" like it was going to happen.  Even if likely, you dont know that. No one knows what WOULD have happened.  Middlebrooks "could have done better" than Papi as DH the whole playoffs, too, right?

However what DID happen was, Iggy didnt help Detroit get past Boston, something a lot of people thought "would" happen.  And, the final conglomeration of players, including Peavey, WON THE WORLD SERIES.

That's all you "know."  I don't care what Peavey/Iglacias do for the rest of their careers. It was about winning, this year. Mission accomplished.

If that's the way you feel about the trade then you must also want the Sox to re-sign everyone
    because that's the only thing we KNOW that worked. 

Let's not give Peavy too much credit for this WS win.  Three times in the PS I heard, "THIS is the game they picked him up to pitch". 

In his first PO game against TBay he was that guy giving up one run in 5.2 innings, but that's where the fairy tale ended.

In his second game (against Detroit) he gave up 7 runs in 5 innings.

In his third PS start (St. Lous) he only game up 2 runs - struggling all the way - but didn't answer the bell for the bell for the 5th.

THIS is the guy we traded a potential GG SS for??  It's fair to say that with the exception of the TBay game the Sox won the WS in spite of him!  Peavy even said himself that he let his team down.  And now the hue and cry is, "Wait until you see what he does NEXT year!"  Yuh.  ok. Frown 

Th FO made a mistake for their future when they put too many eggs in one basket, beliveing that they had their SS of the future in Bogarts without having seen him play at the ML level and now they're scrambling to fill a postion they had two potential young players to fill a year ago.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

"Lugo was hated by most Red Sox fans because he was Brown"

All I needed to read.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

"Lugo was hated by most Red Sox fans because he was Brown"

All I needed to read.

He tried saying the same nonsense about Ortiz.

Who, BTW, finished 3rd, with the most write in votes, in Tuesday's Boston mayoral race.

Sox fan fans really hate "brown" players.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

As for the Peavy trade, I was and have been a big supporter of the deal, but I'll admit to being a little disappointed with how it turned out (this season at least). He had a huge August but a mediocre September, and then pitched poorly in two of his three playoff starts. Those are just the facts.

Now, if he pitches well next season and gets us a draft pick, that obviously changes things a great deal...the jury is by no means out on the trade. But let's not pretend it's gone as many of us hoped so far, his great ALDS start aside.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Lugo 2007 ALDS .664 OPS  ALCS  .511  WS  .962

Drew 2013 ALDS .400 OPS  ALCS  .145  WS  .506

Lugo 2007 RBI's 73   Runs 71  Steals 33

S Drew 2013 RBI's 57   Runs 67  Steals 8

Lugo was hated by most Red Sox fans because he was Brown, but he produced more than S. Drew in the regular season, and far outplayed him in the post season.  

Nice cherry pickin'.

How about the regular season BA, OBP, SLG, OPS and errors?

How about Lugo's total contract was $36 million?  How'd that work out for value?

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

well, I am alone on this one.  I was hoping he would take the QO.  the kid can play ball and was a PERFECT DP combo with Pedroia.  His hitting post injury recovery was more than fine.  what, he didn't hit well in the postseason?  well, who on the red sox besides God Ortiz did?  I could make a pretty good case that Drew's defensive brilliance in the post season significantly helped the Red Sox win the Championship.  He saved runs at crucial times with solid (if not spectacular) play.  seamlessly turning double plays when the pitchers needed them.

I would love to have Drew as my SS for the next 2 seasons.  I think X-Bo can handle 3rd base just fine.  I have never been shy to say that I do not believe WMB will be the long term answer at 3rd.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

As for the Peavy trade, I was and have been a big supporter of the deal, but I'll admit to being a little disappointed with how it turned out (this season at least). He had a huge August but a mediocre September, and then pitched poorly in two of his three playoff starts. Those are just the facts.

Now, if he pitches well next season and gets us a draft pick, that obviously changes things a great deal...the jury is by no means out on the trade. But let's not pretend it's gone as many of us hoped so far, his great ALDS start aside.

It hasn't gone the way either team has hoped, Iglesias's defensive play helps the sox win. I love how his admirers are just glossing over thay fact.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

well, I am alone on this one.  I was hoping he would take the QO.  the kid can play ball and was a PERFECT DP combo with Pedroia.  His hitting post injury recovery was more than fine.  what, he didn't hit well in the postseason?  well, who on the red sox besides God Ortiz did?  I could make a pretty good case that Drew's defensive brilliance in the post season significantly helped the Red Sox win the Championship.  He saved runs at crucial times with solid (if not spectacular) play.  seamlessly turning double plays when the pitchers needed them.

I would love to have Drew as my SS for the next 2 seasons.  I think X-Bo can handle 3rd base just fine.  I have never been shy to say that I do not believe WMB will be the long term answer at 3rd.

You're not alone.  I'm a Drew fan too, and I'm also concerned about WMB.  But if Drew is looking for 3 years or more it might be better to move on in the long run.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Now, if he pitches well next season and gets us a draft pick, that obviously changes things a great deal...the jury is by no means out on the trade. But let's not pretend it's gone as many of us hoped so far, his great ALDS start aside

He's not going to get a draft pick. He will bill the Red Sox for 14 million, though, unless they do the smart thing and dump as much of his salary as they can to a desperate GM who needs an old 2nd rate starting pitcher. 

Aughhh..this ^^ is Softy again.  I didn't notice!  Frown

I wish you'd stop agreeing with me.  You're hurting my credibility. 

Laughing Cool

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

I didn't ever expect he would take the QO, but would love to have him back. I don't think he'll sign for two years, though - more like three or four.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

If Drew leaves he will be missed. While Boegarts has a ton of potential whether its SS or 3B he will not be the defensive SS that Drew was. I wouldn't mind seeing Drew back for 3yr deal @ 33 [just don't see it happening, safer bet than Naps for me], keep Boegarts at 3B and move Middlebrooks to 1B. Thats the infield for the future til the Cecchini's and Marrero's are ready. Naps scares me the age, the hips, the innings caught, he has not played to many back to back full seasons, if willing to come back on 1 yr deal + team option would consider. Just think Ben should keep direction of team heading toward 15 season as was orginal plan, and just because we won WS this past season to go back to the ways that dragged this franchise down so quickly, would be a huge mistake. Hear alot of people talking about the McCann's/ Kuroda's/Tannaka's when we should really be talking about the Owens / JBJ / Barnes / Webster / Swihart / Cecchini's and whats really good about the RS farm system. The RS could be looking at a really good 5-10yr run if these guys are as good as many think, another 2 or 3 WS might not be out of question. But if we start giving big $ to 30+ catchers w/ over 1,000 innings caught, would be a mistake. Or maybe Tannaka is another Irabu or Igawa. I like the financial flexibility the RS have we should try to keep it and build mostly from within. I know RS are big mkt club and will have a high payroll, but learn from past still need to spend it wisely.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Players that did both.

OCab seemed like he was on his way to being a good fit, but i don't know what happened there, so i can't say for sure.. 

Sections
Shortcuts