Stephen Drew will not accept the qualifying offer that Boston made him!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

Re: Stephen Drew will not accept the qualifying offer that Boston made him!

I think drew did just fine.  It also makes it easier for the sox by him not taking the offer.  Now they are forced to decide what they think of WMB and bogarts.  If they think they can both handle SS and 3B, they take the pick and run.  If they think bogarts is better at third and WMB is suspect, they sign Drew for 3 years and move WMB in a trade, and wait for Checcini to be ready to take over third and push bogarts back to SS.  It is time for the Sox to make that decision.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

I predict Bogaerts will be a staple there for years. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

[/QUOTE] OCab seemed like he was on his way to being a good fit, but i don't know what happened there, so i can't say for sure.. 

[/QUOTE]

he was giving a fellow player's wife the biz....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

OCab seemed like he was on his way to being a good fit, but i don't know what happened there, so i can't say for sure.. 

he was giving a fellow player's wife the biz....

oh damn. i recall that, but i didn't remember it being him!..thanks Slash..

• You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[/QUOTE] OCab seemed like he was on his way to being a good fit, but i don't know what happened there, so i can't say for sure.. 

[/QUOTE]

Unsubstantiated rumor had it that there were...ah... "clubhouse issues" ...regarding OCab and his intentions toward certain other players wives.

I have no personal knowledge and I repeat that it's an unsubstantiated rumor.  Take it for what it's worth. 

Oops.. I got here just behind Slash.  Sorry

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Oops.. I got here just behind Slash.  Sorry

take an earlier bus next time....slacker.. {#emotions_dlg.tongue_out}{#emotions_dlg.wink}

In response to greatplayer's comment:

two consenting can have whatever sexual relations they want to have. If wives wanted to have sexual relations with OCab, that's up to them and OCab. There is no law against it. Infedility just means a marriage was no good to start with.

@ mediocreplayer:

True enough, but your reply has nothing to do with the question at hand of why OCab didn't catch on with the Sox. 

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to tvfrank's comment:

No team has a worse record of keeping good SS's than Boston.

No team has had more busts there as well.

Players who did well before coming here, but not here.

Players that did well once they left here.

Players that did both.

Was Lugo good when we dumped him?

Did anyone really want Renteria to stick around?

Scutaro was no longer a SS when we dumped him.

You want to give Farrell back to Toronto for Aviles?

Lowrie is better at 2B or 3B.

Iggy is one I wish we'd have kept, but the jury is still out on that one.

The jury has just rendered a verdict. A bad trade. A deadline panic move. We gave up a sensational young shortstop for a past his prime pitcher. The spin is that Peavy helped us win a championship. The truth is that he had little to do with it. Whatever he contributed, Workman or Doubront could have done as well or better. 

You dont know that. I love when fans say "x" WOULD have happened or "could have done better" like it was going to happen.  Even if likely, you dont know that. No one knows what WOULD have happened.  Middlebrooks "could have done better" than Papi as DH the whole playoffs, too, right?

However what DID happen was, Iggy didnt help Detroit get past Boston, something a lot of people thought "would" happen.  And, the final conglomeration of players, including Peavey, WON THE WORLD SERIES.

That's all you "know."  I don't care what Peavey/Iglacias do for the rest of their careers. It was about winning, this year. Mission accomplished.

If that's the way you feel about the trade then you must also want the Sox to re-sign everyone
    because that's the only thing we KNOW that worked. 

Let's not give Peavy too much credit for this WS win.  Three times in the PS I heard, "THIS is the game they picked him up to pitch". 

In his first PO game against TBay he was that guy giving up one run in 5.2 innings, but that's where the fairy tale ended.

In his second game (against Detroit) he gave up 7 runs in 5 innings.

In his third PS start (St. Lous) he only game up 2 runs - struggling all the way - but didn't answer the bell for the bell for the 5th.

THIS is the guy we traded a potential GG SS for??  It's fair to say that with the exception of the TBay game the Sox won the WS in spite of him!  Peavy even said himself that he let his team down.  And now the hue and cry is, "Wait until you see what he does NEXT year!"  Yuh.  ok. Frown 

Th FO made a mistake for their future when they put too many eggs in one basket, beliveing that they had their SS of the future in Bogarts without having seen him play at the ML level and now they're scrambling to fill a postion they had two potential young players to fill a year ago.  

My man 5!  If we hadn't traded Iggy we wouldn't have beaten Detroit; Iggy gave us the series with a couple of HUGE errors!  Sometimes I think he's all flash and no substance.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to civic82brit4112's comment:

Great News thoughts?

What does Drew think ?? He has a 20 mil dollar glove to go along with his 5 dollar bat? When you start paying the Drews of baseball huge contracts... Is it time to  step back and say that baseball has a major problem. It's to the point you teach kids to play deffense and never swing a bat and that could lead to a huge mil dollar contract. Also a guy like Naps who is a strike out machine also benefit from swinging from his Azz and getting millions to do it. I guess everything is watered down except the ticket prices..........

• You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

not surprising.  Of course Boras have told him that he could find a long term contract such as he could find 3 to 4 years contract at 10 to 14 mm dollars a year.  so making 30 to possible up to 56 mm dollars for the next four years is a whole alot better contract than one year QO.  Also this is a good strong free agency year where there will be alot of players would easily find a long term contract compare to last year where half of the free agents only got one to two years contract.

Well, I knew none of QO free agents will accept Boston's offers.  Possible to have three draft picks where Boston can offset it if they sign another two talent free agents such as McCann.

I do want Drew to come back.  Just hope that Drew will get less than 10mm dollars a year contract offer from anyone where Boston can try to trump that offer to retain him!!

If not, I just think Boston should just be a rebuilding mode for next year.  If Boston cant sign Ellsbury, Napoli and Drew due it is too costly, Boston should nt spend too much money on someone else!!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

Players that did both.

The jury has just rendered a verdict. A bad trade. A deadline panic move. We gave up a sensational young shortstop for a past his prime pitcher. The spin is that Peavy helped us win a championship. The truth is that he had little to do with it. Whatever he contributed, Workman or Doubront could have done as well or better. 

Everything you just wrote here is spin too.  The result was the Red Sox won a World Series without Iggy.  Maybe the Red Sox still would have won without Peavy, but to imply that Workman and Doubront would have filled the role as starters is a big stretch.  You also fail to take into account that if either Workman and Doubront started, they wouldn't be available for the key roles they played in extra relief support.  Any way you cut it, Dempster would have had a bigger role to play if Peavy wasn't there.  I was glad that Dempster was pitching mopup, which is where he belonged.

Agree. You have to look at everything because in baseball, nothing happens in a vacuum. To add:

Who knows how Workman would have done had he stayed in the rotation. He was pitching well, but there also was no book on him. The fact is, Peavy pitched well in eight of the 10 starts he made and his average of 6.5 innings per start is decent in this day in age. What if Workman pitched well but went only 5.5 innings per start as the season went on. That could have put more wear and tear on the bullpen. We don't know if that would have happened, but we do know that it didn't happen with Peavy.

Remember -- for all the chicken-and-bear talk, a huge reason for 2011 collapse was no pitching depth. After Buchholz got hurt, the Sox had just Lester and Beckett. They were throwing out Andrew Miller, Kyle Wieland, a washed-up Wakefield, Eric Bedard, etc.

Again remember -- Doubrant and Dempster both hit walls late in the season. When Buchholz came back, Peavy allowed the Sox to skip each of them and both had good outings after being skipped. Maybe they could have done it with Workman, but if he wasn't pitching well the Sox would have been forced to keep going to them. The depth Peavy gave them was key in helping the Sox pull away in the AL East.

And even though Workman had mixed results in the bullpen during the regular season, he became key in the postseason. That experiene had to have helped him adjust to the role.

Also, what can't be overlooked is it's indesputable that the lineup was much stronger with Drew and Middlebrooks in the lineup the last two months than it would have been had Iggy been in for either of them. I'm not going to repost the numbers, but both Drew and Middlebrooks hit considerably better than Iggy did those last two months, and both were key in a couple of wins each. That also was important in helping the Sox pull away and get the homefield advantage.

We don't know what would have happened without the trade. What we do know is that the Peavy trade had a tremendous positive domino effect that went beyond his individual performance.

And we know two more things:

Iggy made two errors that helped the Sox win two game.

Drew's defense was outstanding and might have helped save a game or two. And his one error early in the playoffs had no negative effect.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to greatplayer's comment:

It cannot work out any better.  We signed him cheap, he played great, we won the WSC, and hopefully we get a pick.

That's the triple crown of FA signings.

He cost 9.5 million, which isn't "cheap".

He didnt play great, had a 700's OPS in the part-time season workload that resulted from missing games with injuries.

Was an embarrassment with the bat in the playoffs, yet again.

Lugo didn't play great in 2007, but he played a lot better than Drew. 

I think Cherry may be pipe dreaming on Drew turning down the QO, no source yet, but that's the only thing that would be great about his much needed departure from the payroll.

777OPS

Your hate for Drew clouds the truth.

Lugo was a nightmare on the field. The fact that most red sox fans stuck with Lugo while he couldnt hit anything that year conflicts woith your racist comment about Bostonians. I can see you getting banned again real soon.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

Stephen Drew and Pedroia play so well together, and are so in sync with each other that we had more double plays than I ever remember happening -- especially in the postseason. I think removing Drew changes Pedey's game as he relies on the SS for some of the plays. I would bet that Pedey doesn't want Drew gone. And I don't want Drew gone.

The last thing I want is some bumbling prospect, with no real experience at a ML level, to be our starting SS. Inglesias was awful in the postseason, and no amount of admiration for him can change that. He bumbled balls, one that should have been a double play that wound up loading the bases for Victorino's grand slam. He missed a ball hit directly at him to end a game. He struck out to end a game. He wasn't better than Drew who saved alot of runs in games with his exceptional plays. Those are the facts.

If we had Inglesias instead of Drew, I think that changes everything. They had the players they needed at the positions they needed them in. 'nuff said.

Kim, in fairness, you can't possibly state for fact that the same thing would have happened if Iglesias was playing short for the Sox during the postseason...that said...i am not attempting to lessen/discredit your affinity for Drew....i have zero issue with Drew as a SS...

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

If that's the way you feel about the trade then you must also want the Sox to re-sign everyone
    because that's the only thing we KNOW that worked. 

Let's not give Peavy too much credit for this WS win.  Three times in the PS I heard, "THIS is the game they picked him up to pitch". 

In his first PO game against TBay he was that guy giving up one run in 5.2 innings, but that's where the fairy tale ended.

In his second game (against Detroit) he gave up 7 runs in 5 innings.

In his third PS start (St. Lous) he only game up 2 runs - struggling all the way - but didn't answer the bell for the bell for the 5th.

THIS is the guy we traded a potential GG SS for??  It's fair to say that with the exception of the TBay game the Sox won the WS in spite of him!  Peavy even said himself that he let his team down.  And now the hue and cry is, "Wait until you see what he does NEXT year!"  Yuh.  ok. Frown 

Th FO made a mistake for their future when they put too many eggs in one basket, beliveing that they had their SS of the future in Bogarts without having seen him play at the ML level and now they're scrambling to fill a postion they had two potential young players to fill a year ago.  

My man 5!  If we hadn't traded Iggy we wouldn't have beaten Detroit; Iggy gave us the series with a couple of HUGE errors!  Sometimes I think he's all flash and no substance.

I think it's wayyyy too early in his career to brand him with all flash and no substance, but it IS amazing how things worked out vs. Detroit.  Laughing

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

OCab seemed like he was on his way to being a good fit, but i don't know what happened there, so i can't say for sure.. 

Unsubstantiated rumor had it that there were...ah... "clubhouse issues" ...regarding OCab and his intentions toward certain other players wives.

I have no personal knowledge and I repeat that it's an unsubstantiated rumor.  Take it for what it's worth. 

•  

I tend to agree with you about OCab’s “personal issues,” and how much truth they carry.  And I generally disregard internet rumors and innuendo about a player’s personal behavior (or at least I cite it as an alleged occurrence), but when it comes to Orlando Cabrera, not much surprises me.

I really did not know much about Cabrera personally while he was in Montreal or Boston or Anaheim, but then he came here to Chicago, and he really did portray himself as a selfish and insufferable human being.  The White Sox acquired him for his final contract year in Anaheim for Jon Garland, who himself appeared to have a future that never panned out.  The publicly stated goal was to extend Cabrera as the short term shortstop of the future.

But Cabrera was a nightmare.  I am OK with a player clashing with the ever-volatile Ozzie Guillen.   That happens, and probably more often than it should.  But Cabrera really postured himself to be all about himself.  He was a public complainer who threw teammates under the bus.  He called official scorers during games to have his errors changed.  He avoided team meetings.  In general, he was all about Orlando, and very little about the White Sox .  And this was not a hopeless White Sox team; they were 2 years removed from a World Championship.   It got to the point where, when I watched White Sox games, scorers simply stopped giving the guy errors, and if an obvious error was on the play, it was credited pretty much anywhere else that looked reasonable.  Bounce a throw to the second baseman?  Clearly, the 2B is at fault!

I don’t know if Cabrera was this way in Boston, or only gets like this during contract years.  But it would not surprise me if he was equally insufferable and selfish during his time in Boston.  He is certainly not the only selfish player in the game, but he is really not good enough to drag around this level of ego

• You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to civic82brit4112's comment:

Great News thoughts?

great news really? did anyone who knows baseball think he would accept it? NO!!  None of the three were ever expected to accept their offers..... geez

• You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

Players that did both.

Wow... you really cant let go... and to say that Peavy didnt help this team down the strecth is a complete lie.... 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

Players that did both.

Everything you just wrote here is spin too.  The result was the Red Sox won a World Series without Iggy.  Maybe the Red Sox still would have won without Peavy, but to imply that Workman and Doubront would have filled the role as starters is a big stretch.  You also fail to take into account that if either Workman and Doubront started, they wouldn't be available for the key roles they played in extra relief support.  Any way you cut it, Dempster would have had a bigger role to play if Peavy wasn't there.  I was glad that Dempster was pitching mopup, which is where he belonged.

Agree. You have to look at everything because in baseball, nothing happens in a vacuum. To add:

Who knows how Workman would have done had he stayed in the rotation. He was pitching well, but there also was no book on him. The fact is, Peavy pitched well in eight of the 10 starts he made and his average of 6.5 innings per start is decent in this day in age. What if Workman pitched well but went only 5.5 innings per start as the season went on. That could have put more wear and tear on the bullpen. We don't know if that would have happened, but we do know that it didn't happen with Peavy.

Remember -- for all the chicken-and-bear talk, a huge reason for 2011 collapse was no pitching depth. After Buchholz got hurt, the Sox had just Lester and Beckett. They were throwing out Andrew Miller, Kyle Wieland, a washed-up Wakefield, Eric Bedard, etc.

Again remember -- Doubrant and Dempster both hit walls late in the season. When Buchholz came back, Peavy allowed the Sox to skip each of them and both had good outings after being skipped. Maybe they could have done it with Workman, but if he wasn't pitching well the Sox would have been forced to keep going to them. The depth Peavy gave them was key in helping the Sox pull away in the AL East.

And even though Workman had mixed results in the bullpen during the regular season, he became key in the postseason. That experiene had to have helped him adjust to the role.

Also, what can't be overlooked is it's indesputable that the lineup was much stronger with Drew and Middlebrooks in the lineup the last two months than it would have been had Iggy been in for either of them. I'm not going to repost the numbers, but both Drew and Middlebrooks hit considerably better than Iggy did those last two months, and both were key in a couple of wins each. That also was important in helping the Sox pull away and get the homefield advantage.

We don't know what would have happened without the trade. What we do know is that the Peavy trade had a tremendous positive domino effect that went beyond his individual performance.

And we know two more things:

Iggy made two errors that helped the Sox win two game.

Drew's defense was outstanding and might have helped save a game or two. And his one error early in the playoffs had no negative effect.

Great post, Roy.  Another thing, that can't really be measured, but certainly helps, is the psychological aspect of bringing in a guy like Peavy.  Deadline moves to improve the team send a clear message from the Front Office to the players that say, "We think you can win."  Moves like that usually also invigorate the clubhouse as they approach the dog days of August.  It's another situation that goes beyond the "stats."  

As far as Orlando Cabrera goes, I remember someone who covered the Sox answered a question regarding why the Sox had no interest in bringing him back by saying something to the affect of "The Sox didn't even contact his agent.  He wasn't going to be their starting SS if he offered to play for free."  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

well, I am alone on this one.  I was hoping he would take the QO.  the kid can play ball and was a PERFECT DP combo with Pedroia.  His hitting post injury recovery was more than fine.  what, he didn't hit well in the postseason?  well, who on the red sox besides God Ortiz did?  I could make a pretty good case that Drew's defensive brilliance in the post season significantly helped the Red Sox win the Championship.  He saved runs at crucial times with solid (if not spectacular) play.  seamlessly turning double plays when the pitchers needed them.

I would love to have Drew as my SS for the next 2 seasons.  I think X-Bo can handle 3rd base just fine.  I have never been shy to say that I do not believe WMB will be the long term answer at 3rd.

Slasher, 

I'm with you on Drew. I'm hoping they sign him to a 2-3 year deal. His solid if not spectacular defense in the post season this year was one in a number of factors that surely helped the RS go all the way this year. Anyone who denies this needs a new pair of spectacles. 

Hetch

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

I suspect the Red Sox will still try to sign Stephen Drew because the Sox, unhindered by a lost draft pick, may likely make the best offer. If Drew departs, the Red Sox probably would need to look for a replacement because it would be too risky to go into 2014 with Will Middlebrooks and Xander Bogaerts on the left side of the infield.

Cherinton is now playing playing with house money...Championships buy a GM more flexibility...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Cherinton is now playing playing with house money...Championships buy a GM more flexibility...

But for Red Sox fans the honeymoon can be very brief.  Just ask Theo 'Inepstein'.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportswizard1. Show Sportswizard1's posts

In response to croc's comment:

I predict Bogaerts will be a staple there for years. 

Actually I think the true vision for Bogaerts is him playing LF with Cecchini at third base and Marrero or Dreily Guerrero playing SS,but i could be wrong. In either case I hope someone donates a 1rst round draft choice for Drew!

• Sections
    Shortcuts