Stephen Drew will not accept the qualifying offer that Boston made him!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Stephen Drew will not accept the qualifying offer that Boston made him!

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

In response to tvfrank's comment:

No team has a worse record of keeping good SS's than Boston.

And no team has a better record at winning World Series within the last 10 years than Boston.  So, I guess that keeping good SS's is not essential to team success.

I never understood the idea that we needed to keep a certain position every year.  Lot's a team have a lot of turnover at certain positions.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

In response to civic82brit4112's comment:

Great News thoughts?

What does Drew think ?? He has a 20 mil dollar glove to go along with his 5 dollar bat? When you start paying the Drews of baseball huge contracts... Is it time to  step back and say that baseball has a major problem. It's to the point you teach kids to play deffense and never swing a bat and that could lead to a huge mil dollar contract. Also a guy like Naps who is a strike out machine also benefit from swinging from his Azz and getting millions to do it. I guess everything is watered down except the ticket prices..........

5 dollar bat?  Either watch some games or read some sports pages.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to VeniceSox's comment:

Great News thoughts?

great news really? did anyone who knows baseball think he would accept it? NO!!  None of the three were ever expected to accept their offers..... geez

There was that conundrum where the haters that thought Drew wasn't worth $9.5M were sure he'd accept the $14M, or else it would mean they were wrong about the $9.5.  And cognitive dissonance is the third rail to these guys.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Sportswizard1's comment:

In response to croc's comment:

I predict Bogaerts will be a staple there for years. 

Actually I think the true vision for Bogaerts is him playing LF with Cecchini at third base and Marrero or Dreily Guerrero playing SS,but i could be wrong. In either case I hope someone donates a 1rst round draft choice for Drew!

I see Bogaerts as being best at 3B or 1B eventually, but I am nearly certain Ben sees him as our SS for at least 2014.

I'd like to see Middy get more work at 1B and make sure we keep the best 2 of the 3 corner IF'er we have now (Bogey, Middy and Cecci). The other may be traded or moved to another position.

Personally, I'd like to see us get a solid #5 hitter that does not play 1B, so when we play in an NL park, we don't suffer the loss of our 1Bman or Papi due to no DH. No, I do not see McCann as that guy.

I'm not saying this is my final wish, but as of now, I kind of like this:

C Salty/Ross

1B Middy/Carp/Nava/Papi (DH)

2B Pedey

3B Bogey/Middy

SS B Ryan or a whiz glove that is cheap

LF Gomes/Nava

CF Victorino/JBJ

RF Beltran (2 year bridge deal)

Sign RP Mujica or J Crain

1) Victorino

2) Pedey

3) Papi

4) Beltran

5) Nava/Gomes

6) Bogey

7) Middy/Carp (Nava)

8) Salty

9) Ryan or the like

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Any player who accepts a Q.O. is either uniterested in trying to see if he can make more money, or a guy who cares not so much about money. 
    If a player cares not-so-much about money in a way he is doing a disservice to all other players. He is allowing management (who do care VERY MUCH about money) to have the upper hand by way of example. The player who does not play the same game as management (money decisions) is the "good guy" and the player who does go toe to toe with managment is the "bad guy." 
    It can be known that 100% of Q.O. are low-ball. A club does not hire a G.M. who is not even able to run a used car lot. 
    In my opinion players should go into contract negotiations as if it is a life and death match. Even when they might not care, they owe the other players. To me the team player puts other players ahead of his own ballclub. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

drew wasnt worth his salary this year and although i warmed to him in the second half and appreciated his contributions, he is not going to be worth more NEXT year and the following years....we have young talented guys at ss/3b, lets give them a chance to play everyday at their positions...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

drew wasnt worth his salary this year

Yes, he was definitely worth 9.5 million by 2013 standards.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Drew was offered a QO, because of his production relative to his position, his defense, and the market for SS is slim.  Many here disagreed that Napoli and Drew would get QO's but I'be been partially validated.....I thought Salty would get a QO at least to kill his market and work out a long term deal.  I'd say I was 2/3 I won't count Ellsbury because anyone could see that one coming

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Great News thoughts?

What does Drew think ?? He has a 20 mil dollar glove to go along with his 5 dollar bat? When you start paying the Drews of baseball huge contracts... Is it time to  step back and say that baseball has a major problem. It's to the point you teach kids to play deffense and never swing a bat and that could lead to a huge mil dollar contract. Also a guy like Naps who is a strike out machine also benefit from swinging from his Azz and getting millions to do it. I guess everything is watered down except the ticket prices..........

Sorry , i guess your right.... Name a pitcher who hated to face Drew or Naps . What was Drew almost 0 for the world series. Terrible from spring training. One bat you could not count on all season long. My point was no bat and good glove. Read the sports pages told me that Drew struggled at the plate.... I guess your right. What channel where the games on?Yes 5 dollar bat. Want to add your 5cents worth of reply?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Great News thoughts?

Sorry , i guess your right.... Name a pitcher who hated to face Drew or Naps . What was Drew almost 0 for the world series. Terrible from spring training. One bat you could not count on all season long. My point was no bat and good glove. Read the sports pages told me that Drew struggled at the plate.... I guess your right. What channel where the games on?Yes 5 dollar bat. Want to add your 5cents worth of reply?

Drew is a streak hitter and that's what you get with a streak hitter.

He was 11th on the team with a .777 OPS, just behind Pedroia (.787) & Ellsbury (.781) and just ahead of Gomes (.771).

He was also 6th on the team in games played so it's fair to consider him the regular SS.

I don't have any problem with a .777 OPS from an everyday SS who plays very good defense. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

This season I suspect Scott Feldman hated to face Stephen Drew, who went 3-for-3 with one triple, one homerun, four RBI and two walks, posting a line of 1.000/1.000/2.667/3.667 against the Baltimore righthander:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/batter_vs_pitcher.cgi?batter=drewst01#gotresults&batter=drewst01&min_year_game=2013&max_year_game=2013&post=1&opp_id=&throws=any&opponent_status=&c1criteria=&c1gtlt=eq&c1val=0&c2criteria=&c2gtlt=eq&c2val=0&orderby=PA&orderby_dir=desc&orderby_second=Name&orderby_dir_second=asc&ajax=1&submitter=1

By numerous measures, Stephen Drew was a Top 10 hitting shortstop in 2013:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?po s=ss&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=300&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

(delete the space between po and s)

Don't let your eyes deceive you.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

Drew was solid with the glove, and his bat was all but non-existant. He was part of a world champion team. I am happy to make a change at this position though.

Good news for me, but I thank him for helping this team win.

Actually, he had a great bat.

wasn't he right in line with other short stops?  Good luck to him

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

This season I suspect Scott Feldman hated to face Stephen Drew, who went 3-for-3 with one triple, one homerun, four RBI and two walks, posting a line of 1.000/1.000/2.667/3.667 against the Baltimore righthander:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/batter_vs_pitcher.cgi?batter=drewst01#gotresults&batter=drewst01&min_year_game=2013&max_year_game=2013&post=1&opp_id=&throws=any&opponent_status=&c1criteria=&c1gtlt=eq&c1val=0&c2criteria=&c2gtlt=eq&c2val=0&orderby=PA&orderby_dir=desc&orderby_second=Name&orderby_dir_second=asc&ajax=1&submitter=1

By numerous measures, Stephen Drew was a Top 10 hitting shortstop in 2013:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?po s=ss&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=300&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

(delete the space between po and s)

Don't let your eyes deceive you.

What you see is what you get Drew was weak link in batting order...Everyone talking about huge slump Drew had been in ( most of year ) was everyone not knowing what they were talking about? Idon't care if he was the best hitting short stop in baseball , he (stunk ) Not only my opinon.......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

What you see is what you get Drew was weak link in batting order...Everyone talking about huge slump Drew had been in ( most of year ) was everyone not knowing what they were talking about? Idon't care if he was the best hitting short stop in baseball , he (stunk ) Not only my opinon.......

He stunk even if he was the best hitting shortstop in baseball?

OK, well that is the topper so far of the silly statements I've heard about his offence. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Great News thoughts?

Only 3 other SS in MLB had a higher OPS than Drew's .777

Tulo, Lowrie and Desmond. Hes a top 5 offensive SS in all MLB. Just because pitchers dont "fear" him doesnt mean he isnt one of the top offensive SS in MLB.

Get a clue please.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:

Any player who accepts a Q.O. is either uniterested in trying to see if he can make more money, or a guy who cares not so much about money. 
    If a player cares not-so-much about money in a way he is doing a disservice to all other players. He is allowing management (who do care VERY MUCH about money) to have the upper hand by way of example. The player who does not play the same game as management (money decisions) is the "good guy" and the player who does go toe to toe with managment is the "bad guy." 
    It can be known that 100% of Q.O. are low-ball. A club does not hire a G.M. who is not even able to run a used car lot. 
    In my opinion players should go into contract negotiations as if it is a life and death match. Even when they might not care, they owe the other players. To me the team player puts other players ahead of his own ballclub. 

I find that to be an interesting viewpoint.  I have a dissenting one.

With the ML Minimum salary being at $500,000 in 2014 - and that's the MINIMUM - I don't feel that the FA's owe it to the other players to go after every last dime in the hope it will boost salaries further for young or marginal players. 

In today's world it's hard to say what constitutes "overpaid", but IMHO many baseball players are overpaid in terms of what they bring to society.  Think for a moment about Jacoby Ellsbury getting $100MM - to play baseball, and ONLY for the next five years! It's not like he's curing cancer or establishing world peace.  He's playing baseball!  Where has our sense of perspective gone??

To me a player who will sign for less than he can get in FA - Pedroia is a good example of this - is putting the team ahead of his own selfish wants (and I refuse to use the word NEEDS in that context).  He's giving the FO more flexibility to pick up quality players in the hope that those players will bring a championship.  Again using Pedroia as an example, he already has his $100MM - more than enough to last him the rest of his life - and rather than accumulate more money that his grandchildren won't be able to spend, instead he's trying to help the team by keeping them under the Luxury Tax threshold.

I could go on about how the Luxury Tax is one of the greatest things that ever happened to the rich teams...but that's for another post.  Smile

Sections
Shortcuts