Uncle Dirt would like to finish his career in Boston

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Uncle Dirt would like to finish his career in Boston

Here's a pargraph and link to read the whole article:

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/10/07/uncle-dirt-stephen-drew-i-would-love-to-finish-out-my-career-here/

Do I want to be back here? That would be great,” Drew said following the Red Sox workout at Tropicana Field Sunday. “I’ve enjoyed my time here. We’ll see what happens. There’s a time to talk. But looking back over the year, have I enjoyed it? Yeah. I would love to finish out my career here. We’ll see how it happens. We’ll see how the cards fall. I definitely love playing with the Red Sox and this team.”

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Uncle Dirt would like to finish his career in Boston

Noncommittal, but no surprise.  Everyone enjoyed playing for the Sox this year, and we can afford to keep Drew.  But that doesn't mean he will stay because someone could offer more and/or more years. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I'd like to bring him back but what happens w/ Boggy?

I think we need to wait and see what happens.

Drew is lower priority.....We need to see where we are after Ells, Salty, Nap, etc.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Noncommittal, but no surprise.  Everyone enjoyed playing for the Sox this year, and we can afford to keep Drew.  But that doesn't mean he will stay because someone could offer more and/or more years. 

That would mean Boegarts to 3rd and Middlebrooks to 1st base.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And Napoli?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And Napoli?

[/QUOTE]

It may come down to the FO making a decision on which player is the better value for a short term (2-3 years) contract.I doubt they'll sign both.They also have to consider how Middlebrooks will adapt to 1st if they choose to keep Drew.Bogaerts should be fine at 3rd,he has some experience there.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

yup - lots of moving parts

but everything starts with Ellsbury

then Salty

Then we regroup to see where we stand......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's right, and right now I would take Drew ove Bogaerts at SS all day long and twice on Sundays.  Solid fielder, good bat.  Bogaerts has great potential, but is unproven.  Let him start at 3B with MBR at 1B. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I agree that Ellsbury should be the Red Sox top priority,followed by Salty.I think it'll surprise some people when they hear what Saltalamacchia signs for though.He's a hot commidity being a fairly decent catcher who can hit with power.I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a 4 year deal somewhere at 14-15 Million per year.I'm just not sure the Sox will go that much for him,especially with Christan Vazquez and Blake Swihart waiting in the wings.

If Boston signs the Cuban free agent Jose Abreau,probably both Drew and Napoli will be gone.

"Another day closer to the parade"

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And Napoli?

[/QUOTE]

I feel like you could sign 2 of the 3 Napoli, Drew, and Ellsbury. With Carp/Nava and Middlebrooks it  is the easiest to probably replace Napoli. I guess you could say the same about Drew to a lesser extent but the team doesn't have a lead off hitter or MLB ready CFer without Ellsbury.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And Napoli?

[/QUOTE]

I feel like you could sign 2 of the 3 Napoli, Drew, and Ellsbury. With Carp/Nava and Middlebrooks it  is the easiest to probably replace Napoli. I guess you could say the same about Drew to a lesser extent but the team doesn't have a lead off hitter or MLB ready CFer without Ellsbury.

[/QUOTE]

Victorino is ML ready for CF.

JBJ will be fine as a MLB CF'er, but we will miss Ellsbury for sure.

IMO, there's no way we bring back Drew and Napoli. It seems Ben wants Bogey at SS, so my guess is that Napoli has the inside edge on returning.

I think Ellsbury walks.

Drew walks.

Salty returns.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I would have no issue with Drew here for the next 3-4 years. I agree that Ells and Salty will come before Drew though.

if we offered 4/50 to salty I bet he would take it.(not sure Id start my offer that high though)  Maybe a 5th (vesting?) option. He will only be 33yo. 12.5per is a very nice payday for an average, but improving defensive catcher with lots of offensive. Not sure he gets that much, but where I start considering other options if someone else should get deeply involved. Its Very possible. Hes created a good rep for himself over the last 3 years. I might go higher with incentives. Thats a lot of Salty. Im not sure what the market will be, so I guess it could depend on how Salty and McCann do in the playoffs.

Heres the full scope thinking on Salty. You have what you need right now. hes a great fit for this team and city and hes still improving. Personally, I want him back.

Lavarnway 26yo- Not sure what they are thinking with Lav. His defense is still terrible. He could catch in a pinch at the MLB level or be a BU. IMHO, hes not a starter, not here. Maybe they do give him a 1b mit like I suggested, or even trade him. I think he will have a good stick in MLB, just not so much as a catcher.

Vasquez 23yo- Great defense, still some tweaking but overall above average for MLB. Made some strides offensively with BA and OBP, no true power to speak of. Potential for 15HR is realistic. Hes got the frame to square a few up and go bridge. Not ready to start fulltime until at least 2015-16.

Swihart 21yo- Has handled A Ball pretty good. Will probaly be in Portland in 2014. still a 2-3 years away. Needs to fill out some to stick at position, but plays it well.

John Denney 19yo- Played a little at GLC. Should be placed in short season Lowell or Low A Greenville. Also athletic enough to move off position if need be.

With Drew, you get the same as Salty. A guy you dont have to worry about inany situation. Hes a smart player that makes the plays. I would have no problem if they signed Drew to 3-4 years. I would also not have an issue with Bogey at SS.

Im sure the Sox know better if Bogey is a good fit for 3b and WMB to 1b. Its not a matter of if they can play the position, but rather which they are better at and where they have more value. Im not sure I like the possiblity of 3 young players (WMB, Bogey, JBJ), 2 of which are out of their regular position, starting the 2014 season. Maybe one, but not 2, and even that depends on how good he is at his new position. If they decide to keep Drew, my guess is someone gets traded.

Marerro is at AA. Great defensive SS who get on base at a decent clip. Still improving on offense, but appears to be a .250BA 330OBP SS with no real power. Gap to gap hitter. At least 2 years away with our depth. Could be trade chip depending what happens with Bogey and Drew.

JBJ 23yo- Is he ready for the show fulltime? I say he will need time to adjust and be given a long rope. Hes going to have issues out of the gate, but I think all the talent is there top be a successful MLB CF'er. Hes def got some holes to fill. If Ells goes, we will have to make up some production losing a 300BA 360OBP 50SB CF in other areas. JBJ is NOT at that level, and will never be as far as SB are concerned. Also hes not used to CF in Fenway. That alone will have its own learning curve. But with nobody even close to take over CF its either Ells, JBJ, Vic (dont like him as a FT CF anymore, better fit for RF with his arm) or an outside option.

Napoli- Again, Depending on his market and what we do between Drew, Xander, and Middy. I think 1b will be an easier position to fill than 3b or SS, so I think on a priority list (mine anyway) 1b comes after your up the middle positions. We could resign Naps, move Middy, even have Lavarnway workout this offseason as a 1bman. There are also some decent short term and longer term options on the FA/International FA and possible trade markets.

Looks like the rotation is set one way or the other. All of our pitchers currently on the 25-man roster are under contract for 2014. Starters and Bullpen. Im sure we will see some activity with the pitchers throughout the system. The bullpen for 14' is Koji as the closer and we find another possible closer/8th inning guy within or outside the organization. Gotta try and goom someone for that job in 2014 to take over in 2015, or if something should happen to Koji in 2014. Tons of options there. The Bullpen usually works itself out. Just throw a bunch of them out there and see who sticks.

Offseason Priority List

Ellsbury

Salty

Drew

Napoli

with some pitching moves throughout the winter.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Im not a huge Bogey fan...yet....i would be Ok with 2 more years of Drew if it werent outlandish

As always - 100% correct!

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And Napoli?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

IMO, there's no way we bring back Drew and Napoli. It seems Ben wants Bogey at SS, so my guess is that Napoli has the inside edge on returning.

I think Ellsbury walks.

Drew walks.

Salty returns.

[/QUOTE]

They could bring back both Drew and Napoli and let Bogaerts start the season in AAA.

At some point, injuries will clear up the logjam...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think Ellsbury walks.

Drew walks.

Salty returns.

They could bring back both Drew and Napoli and let Bogaerts start the season in AAA.

They could, but in my opinion they won't.

Here's how I see it: Drew turned out to be much better on defense than I thought he'd be. I think he is better than Bogaerts on defense. I'm not thrilled with Middlebrooks on defense at 3B, but he shows a lot of promise on both D and O. I'm not sure if Bogey is better at 3B than Middy, but they both are not locks to be stars. In this sense, we could bring back Napoli and Drew, but one would have to be short term, and that is where I think the rub will be. 

With Bogey, Middy, Carp and Nava all available to play SS, 3B or 1B, I just don't see us bringing back Drew and Napoli for 2 or more year deals. We also have Marrero and Cecchini rising in the ranks.

At some point, injuries will clear up the logjam...

I doubt we spend big on Drew and Napoli with future injuries in mind that will clear up space for them or the kids.

I have long thought that Ellsbury is going to walk, and certainly if he returns, there is very little chance Drew and Napoli both return, in fact, neither is probably the best bet, since Salty and Ellsbury may eat up most of the winter spending budget.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Sign Ellsbury and Salty. Let Drew and Napoli walk. Sign Abreu. Spend the money.

Stabbed by Foulke.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Sign Drew and Ells.  Let Naps and Salty walk.  Sign Abreu.  Spend the money. 

Smile

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I love Drew, and thinkmhe does a tremendous job for us. If we could find a way to keep him without him being abused or constantly hearing about how Inglesias would be better for this reason or that, I would like to keep him. But I don't like "uncle dirt". I don't know where that came from, but it makes him sound like an old man. JMO

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Signing Drew over Napoli hurts the offense (assuming we go with Middy, Carp, Nava,  and Papi at 1B), but may improve the defense at 3 positions.

Drew>Bogey at SS

Bogey>Middy at 3B

Middy>Naps at 1B

Some of these defensive calls are certainly debatable, but for 2014, I think it's a better defense.

I'm not saying I want Drew. I'm just pointing out the defense.

Looking further down the road, if Cecchini makes it to the bigs by the end of 2014 or early 2015, it might mean we end up trading Drew or Naps or whoever we sign this winter.

Late 2014 or 2015

SS: Bogey (Marrero as back-up?)

3B: Middy/Cecchini

1B: Middy/Carp

Sox4ever