Uncle Dirt would like to finish his career in Boston

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Re: Uncle Dirt would like to finish his career in Boston

Drew has been a pleasant surprise.  I'd love to see him back, as well as Ells and Salty.  For 2014, that would mean Drew at SS, Bogey t 3B and MBR at 1B.  I can live with that.  It would make 2014 team quite strong.

Red Sox in 2013 World Series, Patriots in 2014 Super Bowl!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Signing Drew over Napoli hurts the offense (assuming we go with Middy, Carp, Nava,  and Papi at 1B), but may improve the defense at 3 positions.

Drew>Bogey at SS

Bogey>Middy at 3B

Middy>Naps at 1B

Some of these defensive calls are certainly debatable, but for 2014, I think it's a better defense.

I'm not saying I want Drew. I'm just pointing out the defense.

Looking further down the road, if Cecchini makes it to the bigs by the end of 2014 or early 2015, it might mean we end up trading Drew or Naps or whoever we sign this winter.

Late 2014 or 2015

SS: Bogey (Marrero as back-up?)

3B: Middy/Cecchini

1B: Middy/Carp

Sox4ever

Are you saying that Bogey is better than Middy at 3b and Middy is better than naps at 1b? The only one better is Drew over Bogey. I understand Middy has had some growing pains offensively and defensively, but Hes still more comfortable and better than Bogey at 3b right now. Same with Naps at 1b. Hes a much better option than a kid whos still growing into 3b and has never played 1b in a live game. Just my opinions.

Cecchini wont be here until 2015 at the earliest. I think out of all of our 4 FA, Salty and Naps have the best chances of returning. Its amazing how a lot of folks here think its just that easy to switch positions when they have either played very little or never player a game in their life there. This is MLB. If Middy is going to learn a new position he may need time in AAA to do so. Heres what I think...They should allow Middy the chance to stick at 3b. Hes more valuable there. Same with Xander at SS. Im a big S.Drew fan, but I dont think theres a spot for him without moving to many parts around. We will have a big hole at 1b if Naps goes, with nobody in the pipeline. Unless travis Shaw or Michael Almanzar come on like gangbusters next year. (If we dont lose either one). I think Cecchini could be moved across the diamond or to LF. Defense at 3b is nothing special, but that approach at the plate is.

I know were going to lose a bunch of production if Ells leaves. JBJ is NOT a 300BA 360+OBP 50SB player. He could be that kind of hitter over time, but he will NEVER do what Jake does on the basepaths. Hes going to have his share of struggles at the MLB level. Losing Ells is going to effect this team more than people think.

Whatever they decide to do, there are going to be some difficult decisions to make this winter.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Signing Drew over Napoli hurts the offense (assuming we go with Middy, Carp, Nava,  and Papi at 1B), but may improve the defense at 3 positions.

Drew>Bogey at SS

Bogey>Middy at 3B

Middy>Naps at 1B

Some of these defensive calls are certainly debatable, but for 2014, I think it's a better defense.

I'm not saying I want Drew. I'm just pointing out the defense.

Looking further down the road, if Cecchini makes it to the bigs by the end of 2014 or early 2015, it might mean we end up trading Drew or Naps or whoever we sign this winter.

Late 2014 or 2015

SS: Bogey (Marrero as back-up?)

3B: Middy/Cecchini

1B: Middy/Carp

Sox4ever

Are you saying that Bogey is better than Middy at 3b and Middy is better than naps at 1b?

Yes. That is what I said. It's close at 3B and 1B, but I think Drew is much better than Bogey at SS right now, and SS rules.

The only one better is Drew over Bogey. I understand Middy has had some growing pains offensively and defensively, but Hes still more comfortable and better than Bogey at 3b right now.

Middy has not impressed me at all at 3B. "Comforatable"? I'm guessing on Bogey at 3B, because the sample size is too small, but I think after a couple months as a FT 3Bman, he will be at least equal to Middy.

Same with Naps at 1b. Hes a much better option than a kid whos still growing into 3b and has never played 1b in a live game. Just my opinions.

Napoli has played excellent 1B this year, despite his blunder last night on the bunt. If Middy is such a great 3Bman, he stands to reason that he should be an even ebtter 1Bman.

Cecchini wont be here until 2015 at the earliest.

Probably yes, but why wait? Just like we should have moved Bogey to 3B this spring like I suggested, why wait for the inevidable? Bogey should not be viewed as our longterm SS solution. Middy at 1B with Carp there in case he struggles is perfect.

I think out of all of our 4 FA, Salty and Naps have the best chances of returning. Its amazing how a lot of folks here think its just that easy to switch positions when they have either played very little or never player a game in their life there. This is MLB. If Middy is going to learn a new position he may need time in AAA to do so.

Middy has already practiced and played 1B. The winter and ST should be enough to make hima fine 1Bman by day 1. (They should have had him play 1B a little in AAA this year, but I guess they didn't want to mess him up at the plate.)

Heres what I think...They should allow Middy the chance to stick at 3b. Hes more valuable there. Same with Xander at SS. Im a big S.Drew fan, but I dont think theres a spot for him without moving to many parts around. We will have a big hole at 1b if Naps goes, with nobody in the pipeline. Unless travis Shaw or Michael Almanzar come on like gangbusters next year. (If we dont lose either one). I think Cecchini could be moved across the diamond or to LF. Defense at 3b is nothing special, but that approach at the plate is.

Look, I'm not for signing just Drew or even offering him a QO. All I said was signing Drew makes us better defensively than signing just Napoli. I am near certain Ben sees Bogey as our FT SS in 2014. I think he picks up an excellent SS glove man as our utility IF'er and back-up plan if Bogey or Middy struggles.

I know were going to lose a bunch of production if Ells leaves. JBJ is NOT a 300BA 360+OBP 50SB player. He could be that kind of hitter over time, but he will NEVER do what Jake does on the basepaths. Hes going to have his share of struggles at the MLB level. Losing Ells is going to effect this team more than people think.

I agree, but paying Ells $18+M x 5-7 years will effect this team's future much more than some people think.

Whatever they decide to do, there are going to be some difficult decisions to make this winter.

Yes. This will be a very interesting winter.

Sox4ever

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

This team has had a lot of success. Ideally , you would like to keep it intact as much as possible. It is just not realistic to think that you can bring back everyone. Sox are raking in a lot of revenue this year. Let's see if  they are willing to spend it , and spend it wisely. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

Sections
Shortcuts