YAZ or BIG PAPI ........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

YAZ or BIG PAPI ........

No  DEBATE here,  DAD & BILL-806 will take  Carl YAZ all day long !!!  However, I am sure that there are a certain # of our posters that have been blinded by the "BIG GUY'S" numbers and discount the fact that  YAZ was the last of the COMPLETE ball players.......   WHAT SAY YOU  ???

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: YAZ or BIG PAPI ........

for me Papi - I Loved Yaz but he played a lot of years in decline and never won the whole taco...Papi? Epic in everyway

As always - 100% correct!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Yaz, guy played the field. Baseball Player, Full time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Yaz, because he played the field and did it well.  Playoffs were tougher to make in those days.  Second place in the division meant nothing.  If the the wild card was in play those days, the curse would have been over sooner, Yaz's already great post season numbers would have been off the charts.

Yaz also has that little thing which isn't handed out and only is achieved once in a great while, The Triple Crown.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to steven11's comment:

Yaz, because he played the field and did it well.  Playoffs were tougher to make in those days.  Second place in the division meant nothing.  If the the wild card was in play those days, the curse would have been over sooner, Yaz's already great post season numbers would have been off the charts.

interesting point although im not sure of this...Papi has done it dozens of times in the postseason - Yaz played in what 4 postseason series? 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

interesting point although im not sure of this...Papi has done it dozens of times in the postseason - Yaz played in what 4 postseason series? 

thanks.  this is a discussion which comes up a lot, so the playing field has to be evened.  Only compare the post seasons which the sox finished first.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

No  DEBATE here,  DAD & BILL-806 will take  Carl YAZ all day long !!!  However, I am sure that there are a certain # of our posters that have been blinded by the "BIG GUY'S" numbers and discount the fact that  YAZ was the last of the COMPLETE ball players.......   WHAT SAY YOU  ???

apples or oranges   what say you?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

As a hitter, I would take Papi.  As an overall player I'll take Yaz (great left fielder, above average first baseman, lousy 3rd baseman).  Papi was okay at first, but had the "misfortune" of being on teams with some excellent defensive 1st sackers (Mienkiewicz in Minnesota, Youkilis and Gonzalez in Boston). He could have handled the position adequately in his younger years.

Plus Yaz had the impossible task and the pressure that went with it of taking over for Ted Williams.  Papi has been able to write his own legacy without being compared to anyone else.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:

Ortiz hid under Manny's shadow for the better part of his time here... and then he shrank like a sack on ice when Manny was traded... it took him 18 months of regular season to finally recover.

Ortiz's wrist injury may have had something to do with it also.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I assume this was inspired by Yaz's recent statements that Ortiz is a better hitter than he was.  Yaz is all class, unlike Bill. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

Actually only 3 geo.  ALCS in 1975 and the WS in 1967 and 1975. 

The 1978 playoff with the Yankees is considered a regular season game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Yaz said that Ortiz was the 2nd best Red Sox hitter.....not player. I love Papi for the rings, but Yaz was an all around All Star/HOF......GG Ofer...GG 1st Baseman....3 Batting Titles,,,,,Triple Crown....in his prime he was even a good base runner and could steal a base. 1st AL player to 400 HR/3000 hits.....when it meant something to put up offensive #s like that. The knock on Yaz has always been that he put up #'s because he played 22 years, but he had those 3000 hits and 400 HRs after 18 years.  Could have retired a HOF right then,  In my mind Papi is a HOF, but all around you take Yaz every Day of the week.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Yaz was my favorite player probably of all-time, HOF/Great LF. Big Papi is the greatest clutch hitter in Sox history. Draw.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

Yaz said that Ortiz was the 2nd best Red Sox hitter.....not player. I love Papi for the rings, but Yaz was an all around All Star/HOF......GG Ofer...GG 1st Baseman....3 Batting Titles,,,,,Triple Crown....in his prime he was even a good base runner and could steal a base. 1st AL player to 400 HR/3000 hits.....when it meant something to put up offensive #s like that. The knock on Yaz has always been that he put up #'s because he played 22 years, but he had those 3000 hits and 400 HRs after 18 years.  Could have retired a HOF right then,  In my mind Papi is a HOF, but all around you take Yaz every Day of the week.

I agree...to me there is no comparison when you look at all around player. Yaz was a complete player. That's not to take anything away from Ortiz...but he is one dimensional...though it's a pretty good dimension.

To those that knock Yaz because he doesn't have rings...well..that's a team accomplishment not an individual accomplishment.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

I agree...to me there is no comparison when you look at all around player. Yaz was a complete player. That's not to take anything away from Ortiz...but he is one dimensional...though it's a pretty good dimension.

To those that knock Yaz because he doesn't have rings...well..that's a team accomplishment not an individual accomplishment.

It may be a team accomplishment, but there's no question that the SOX have 0 rings without David. Anyone who spends his miserable time on this board dissing Ortiz is nothing more than a complete moron, along with other issues most of us are aware of.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Sorry, but nowhere is it written we have to pick one.  Both were/are great in their day (and way). 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

It may be a team accomplishment, but there's no question that the SOX have 0 rings without David. Anyone who spends his miserable time on this board dissing Ortiz is nothing more than a complete moron, along with other issues most of us are aware of.

Again, "BLING IS BLINDING"  !!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Ah, Roger the cabin boy pipes up.  Totally wrong, as always.

1)  No one has claimed Papi was a better ballplayer than Yaz.  No one.  What is wrong with you?

2)  Yaz himself said Papi is a better hitter than he was.  And he is.  Rather obviously.

3)  Yaz wasn't a complete player, no speed although a competent baserunner.

4) "last of the complete ball players"? That is a new low, even by your ultra low standards.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

Again, "BLING IS BLINDING"  !!!!!

So is your bigotry!!!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

1)  No one has claimed Papi was a better ballplayer than Yaz.  No one.  What is wrong with you?

2)  Yaz himself said Papi is a better hitter than he was.  And he is.  Rather obviously.

4) "last of the complete ball players"? That is a new low, even by your ultra low standards.

REALLY  ........

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Luis Tiant!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Luis Tiant!

El Tiante could hit, run, and field, but he didn't know how to slide.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

Yaz was my favorite player growing up, but baseball is a team game and success is measured in championships. Ortiz's 3 is an overwelming advantage here. 

I don't blame Yastrzemski but many of those teams 72-75-78 are remembered by the disapointments while the 04 comeback and 13 turnaround are the highlights of the Big Papi era. It is not being blinded by the bling it is looking at history objectively.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

Yaz actually was a very good baserunner and probably could have stolen a lot more bases had that been the RedSox game in the 60's and 70's

Sections
Shortcuts