1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: 0 for 22 .... Its not the

Looks like someone got taken for a time out. LOL

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Wrong again, Skippy.

You've got quite an 0-fer record going yourself. LOL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

If there was ever a DH that was beyond criticism; (PED whispers aside), it's Ortiz, clearly the greatest ever. Even TW, Cobb, and Ruth had slumps. Fickle stuff.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

We won 4 in a row(last 2 LA & first 2 Orioles) while Papi went 0-18 or so & then 0-4 last night. Pedroia, Gomes & Salty were also 0-4 last night & they could have bailed us out so Papi's slump wouldn't be so critical.  It really would have  been nice since Tampa lost to have won last night & also put Baltimore further behind us. Just a couple of weeks ago many were on Napoli but he seems, hopefully, to have  come out of his slump. Letting Papi continue one hopes the law of average comes into play but there is something called inertia & the streak can continue. Monday morning quarterback, but I'd PH Napoli for Papi when we had tying run on 3rd. He will break out of his slump...we need him to do so if we want to face Dodgers in World Series.

Last night, although many said shame Lester lost, is that Balt's 2 and 3rd runs were after a walk and then a double. Without the walks we might have won 2-1. Just saying.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Wrong again, Skippy.

Papis numbers are slightly lower but still some of the best numbers.

4/20-june

BA .317  OBP .404  SLG. .604  17 2b  16 HR

july- present

BA .300  OBP .371  SLG .501  11 2b  8 HR

current full year stats

BA.310  OBP .390  SLG .557  OPS .947

Papi needs 21 RBI to get to 100. Even if he doesnt, Ill take 25-30 HR and 90-100RBI with a 300BA and an OBP around .380-.400 and an OPS about .950

Yup. what a drop off in production. Hes terrible. Id be worried that hes 0-22 because he hasnt proved that he can be consistent all yearUndecided. We all know that certain posters come here to rile people up on purpose, thats a troll. Usually ones opinions are derived from facts and information, not just made up nonsense and cherry picked stats. Thats just ignorance.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

We won 4 in a row(last 2 LA & first 2 Orioles) while Papi went 0-18 or so & then 0-4 last night I think. It really would have  been nice since Tampa lost to have won last night & also put Baltimore further behind us. Just a couple of weeks ago many were on Napoli but he seems, hopefully, to have  come out of his slump. Letting Papi continue one hopes the law of average comes into play but there is something called inertia & the streak can continue. Monday morning quarterback, but I'd PH Napoli for Papi when we ahd tying run on 3rd. He will break out of his slump...we need him to do so if we want to face Dodgers in World Series.

Last night, although many said shame Lester lost, is that Balt's 2 and 3rd runs were after a walk and then a double. Without the walks we might have won 2-1. Just saying.

You could easily make a counter case for the night before. It works both ways, and often games are decided by a sliver.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Wrong again, Skippy.

Papis numbers are slightly lower but still some of the best numbers.

4/20-june

BA .317  OBP .404  SLG. .604  17 2b  16 HR

july- present

BA .300  OBP .371  SLG .501  11 2b  8 HR

current full year stats

BA.310  OBP .390  SLG .557  OPS .947

Papi needs 21 RBI to get to 100. Even if he doesnt, Ill take 25-30 HR and 90-100RBI with a 300BA and an OBP around .380-.400 and an OPS about .950

Yup. what a drop off in production. Hes terrible. Id be worried that hes 0-22 because he hasnt proved that he can be consistent all yearUndecided. We all know that certain posters come here to rile people up on purpose, thats a troll. Usually ones opinions are derived from facts and information, not just made up nonsense. Thats just ignorance.

I knew you would skip august.

.253 with two homers?  Is that right.

try again

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

[QUOTE]

If there was ever a DH that was beyond criticism; (PED whispers aside), it's Ortiz, clearly the greatest ever. Even TW, Cobb, and Ruth had slumps. Fickle stuff.

Even the Yankees let Ruth go and he finished his career with the Boston Braves.  Ortiz's average for August is .253 with I think 2 homers.  Not exactly the way he started out this season.

[/QUOTE]

We know you never wanted Ortiz signed.

And it's been difficult to admit you were wrong about it.

How about you enlighten all of us and tell us who the Sox SHOULD have signed instead.

Surely, someone with such strong opinions on the subject had a suitable replacement in mind.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

The .253 is right from redsox.com

.245 is what Ortiz is doing the last 30 days.

So tell me how many homers he has in August and then the last 30 days.

Hitters, especially power guys, are streaky; injuries and other personal factors notwithstanding

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Ortiz has four home runs in August, not two. Stats are pretty easy to find at baseball-reference.com, which most baseball fans have bookmarked.

Most baseball fans also know that hitters go through slumps. Yes, Papi's is pretty extensive now, but that happens. Some dude named Dustin Pedroia hit .216 in July; he's hitting .318 in August.

Chill.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

This is really a ridiculous OP...only because there is no indication that age has anything to do with papis slump.

On the other hand I havent done extensive research, but it seems to me that Ortiz always slumps after a NL Park trip where he sits or plays 1b.....so I checked briefly

Thiis year after our 2 game PHL trip he went 1 for 7 the next 2 games in NY and then he hit a HR in the 3rd game(NY being one of his favorite places to hit)

in 2012, We played 3 in Philly, after which he went into a 2 for 24 slump,

We also had a 6 game NL trip after which he went 3 for 22

In 2011, we had one 8 game long NL trip in July on which Paip went 0-13 and slumped afterwards...he left for the NL trip hitting .312 and 20 games later he was at .294

In each games he eventually snapped out of it.....so I would balme it on his losing his DH routine rather than an Age thing.....and expect him to be fine down the stretch

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

"SON, when your 37 going on 42, the baseball season becomes long & grinding"  !!!!   It is our hope (DAD & BILL-806) that he gets hot, soooooon !!!!!!

did you know that he injured his back at the same time he started his slump??

Quit worry.  

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts