09/28/2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

09/28/2011

I have only one thing to mention for tonight's game. This is all about Lester finally taking that last step to become the Ace that every expert says he will be. Jon is good, he's very good, but the time is now to become the MAN.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

Re: 09/28/2011

We shall see - either Beckett or Lester is who you want to have the ball in this situation, as they are the best we've got.  Unfortunately neither have been able to step up their past few starts.  He is on very short rest as well, so how much can we really expect?  Aceves better be ready, AGAIN. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

How much more can you ask of Aceves? He threw 36 pitches last night, 16 pitches on Monday & 19 pithces on Sunday. Bard threw 25 last night and he looks spent and Paps threw 28 intense pitches.

I think Lester has the weight of the 2011 season on his shoulders with only 3 days rest. The good things was that Tito pulled him after only 55 pitches on Saturday. So he should be okay.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from samclemens. Show samclemens's posts

In Response to 09/28/2011:
    [QUOTE] I have only one thing to mention for tonight's game. This is all about Lester finally taking that last step to become the Ace that every expert says he will be. Jon is good, he's very good, but the time is now to become the MAN.
    Posted by Sully1965[/QUOTE]  Jon Lester is and has been the ace (best starting pitcher) of the Red Sox staff since the 2008 season.  On more than half of the teams in baseball he would be the number 1 starter.  Regardless of the outcome of tonight's game he will head into the 2012 season as the unquestioned "ace" of the staff with the best stuff and most importantly, consistency.  A handful of games does not an ace make.  The title is earned through performance over time.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Put it in perspective, Lester is pitching against the worst team in the league on three days rest because this team has been so bad they could not afford to save him for the playoff game.  This team is trying to save its season but has played so astoundingly bad we can not recognize this team from what we thought it was.

I cannot see how this team moves on with its head up unless it has another miracle of 2004.  Look at these guys playing, injured, out of shape, overpaid and without the leadership of the 2004 team and our chances are close to nil.

If we can rebuild and get rid of Lackey and a heart transplant for Crawford maybe next year will be better.  Firing Epstein would be a start as well.  I am still thankful for 2004 and 07. But it is time to go. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

OK Concord, but how does that help in tonights game?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

Agreed Jessey - Aceves has been relied on heavily and he just keeps going.  My theory with Beckett two nights ago was - hey, he's our ace, pitch him until his arm falls off.  But that backfired, as he was laboring by the 6th inning.  These guys just cannot go deep into games, for whatever reason.  Aceves has been a HUGE value for the Red Sox BP.  We need Lester to come through tonight big time, because, barring a miracle, I don't see the Ray's losing tonight.  Any announcement on tonight's starter for the Yanks?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Any pitcher from Column B. Do not expect to see Soriano, Mo, Robertson, Hughes, Logan, etc.

I expect the Yanks to play most of their regulars for at least the 1st half of the game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Jessey,
    It doesn't help at all. I am just venting what this team has let it come to.  It has been a month of implosion that is not acceptable.  I hope they win and continue despite my bile.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Lester has to step up and pitch deep into the game.   It is time.  No excuses.  They get paid huge bucks to perform, this is all they do, and he is more than capable of pitching on 3 days rest after a short outing. 

If the Sox bats are hot, we will win.  Lester can't be expected to shut out the birds.    Whoever comes in for relief for the Sox will have the season on their shoulders.    We need to score early and often to lesson that burden.  

Yanks have a great chance of winning tonight, they will be loose and swinging hard.   I don't think that the Yankees want to lose a game, regardless of who plays, going into the playoffs.   They won't just lay down.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In Response to Re: 09/28/2011:
    [QUOTE]Any pitcher from Column B. Do not expect to see Soriano, Mo, Robertson, Hughes, Logan, etc. I expect the Yanks to play most of their regulars for at least the 1st half of the game.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I, for one, understand if the Yanks have a half lackadaisical atttitude for this game, since they have done what they needed to do and can now set things up for themselves for the playoffs. The only reason I see the Yanks playing any of their starters is just to give them a couple of at bats to stay sharp and then call it a night.

Plus, my guess is that the Yankees would rather see the Rays get into the playoffs instead of the Sox, since I bet they believe, as I do, that the Sox are a better and more dangerous team than the Rays, just not showing it in September.

Isn't it comforting to know that if the Sox and Rays win tonite that the Sox head to TB tomorrow with John Lackey on the mound to save their lives...oh the humanity.

In addition, I believe the Rays have Jeff Niemann lined up to start tomorrow's playoff so 'turn out the lights the party's over' since he seems to own the Sox.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

Hopefully Lester pitches angry.  He needs that swagger that Pedro had when he knew he could spank anybody and that most batters feared getting beaned.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 09/28/2011 : I, for one, understand if the Yanks have a half lackadaisical atttitude for this game, since they have done what they needed to do and can now set things up for themselves for the playoffs. The only reason I see the Yanks playing any of their starters is just to give them a couple of at bats to stay sharp and then call it a night. Plus, my guess is that the Yankees would rather see the Rays get into the playoffs instead of the Sox, since I bet they believe, as I do, that the Sox are a better and more dangerous team than the Rays, just not showing it in September. Isn't it comforting to know that if the Sox and Rays win tonite that the Sox head to TB tomorrow with John Lackey on the mound to save their lives...oh the humanity. In addition, I believe the Rays have Jeff Niemann lined up to start tomorrow's playoff so 'turn out the lights the party's over' since he seems to own the Sox.
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]

that's why we play the games....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 09/28/2011 : that's why we play the games....
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Agreed Beantowne...I am hoping my pessimistic viewpoint will have reverse actual results so everyone can say I was wrong...in this situation I want to be wrong!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc25. Show tc25's posts

[QUOTE]How much more can you ask of Aceves? He threw 36 pitches last night, 16 pitches on Monday & 19 pithces on Sunday. Bard threw 25 last night and he looks spent and Paps threw 28 intense pitches. I think Lester has the weight of the 2011 season on his shoulders with only 3 days rest. The good things was that Tito pulled him after only 55 pitches on Saturday. So he should be okay.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]
     unbelievable, a Yankee knows more about our bullpen than we do. Great post

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

It's scary to wonder how many runs the Sox have to put up to win.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

That is the problem.  Imagine handing  the ball to Bard with a lead tonight.  I shudder even thinking about it. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[QUOTE]Agreed Jessey - Aceves has been relied on heavily and he just keeps going.  My theory with Beckett two nights ago was - hey, he's our ace, pitch him until his arm falls off.  But that backfired, as he was laboring by the 6th inning.  These guys just cannot go deep into games, for whatever reason.  Aceves has been a HUGE value for the Red Sox BP.  We need Lester to come through tonight big time, because, barring a miracle, I don't see the Ray's losing tonight.  Any announcement on tonight's starter for the Yanks?
    Posted by kt888[/QUOTE]

There is a reason... They can't or won't throw Strikes !! That's why they don't go deep into games !! They are terrified of contact !!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

They won't be giving the ball to Bard tonight; they'll try Paps for a 6 out save.

Best thing for the Sox is to avoid a save situation altogether.  Last night saw some rockets; not even just HR balls, but solidly hit liners that the O's played very well.  And Markakis made a sick play to save at least two runs on Lavarnway's blooper.

Hope this thing is a blowout by about the 5th inning, but I don't see that happening.  I think it's going to be close the whole way.

Yanks might've won last night if not for a triple play with bases loaded.  There's a lot of **** going on in these games.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

There's been an epic collapse, nerves are shot, sleep is lost.  Sure signs of fall in Red Sox Nation.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

[QUOTE]There's been an epic collapse, nerves are shot, sleep is lost.  Sure signs of fall in Red Sox Nation.
    Posted by joyceand[/QUOTE]

Maybe, maybe not.

But the Yanks are going out early, too.  And "fall" in NE is a lot more beautiful than in NY, where there are no other quality professional franchises.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Jessey, It doesn't help at all. I am just venting what this team has let it come to.  It has been a month of implosion that is not acceptable.  I hope they win and continue despite my bile.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Agree that it has been difficult to watch this team lately.  Even last year with all of the injuries that they had, they had more desire and determination to try to win games.  We had quite a few minor league players for a good part of the end of the season, and even if they didn't win gave a better effort than our current team. 

Sections
Shortcuts