1/4 through, who still feel confident?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

1/4 through, who still feel confident?

QUESTION #1 So we are ranked 17th, defensively and still at 500 or below so who still feel our current lineup will hit enough to win a playoff spot?  I will ask the same question at the midway and 3/4 point if we still have yet to make changes. 

QUESTION #2 How many of you still feel Middy has hope and JBJ will reach Ells status offensively anytime soon?

It will be interesting to see who ends up right or wrong so please feel free to stay out of the conversation or stick with your current predictions.  Our pitching has done their job for the most part but I still say this team has major issues regardless of being only a couple games out.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Re: 1/4 through, who still feel confident?

1Def no  2Not this year for sure

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

i still have hope..but we gotta do somthing...lot's of time to turn it around..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Have never felt confident since last winter layoff fiasco, have expressed my opinion a hundred times...only solution... Trade, trade and trade

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

JBJ won't pass Ellsbury offensively anytime soon, nor is he expected to be.  There is a reason why Ellsbury got a $154M contract.

Past that, my offer still stands.  I'll take the RS even over anyone in our division.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:

Have never felt confident since last winter layoff fiasco, have expressed my opinion a hundred times...only solution... Trade, trade and trade

Too late for that. Larry and Ben were reading their press clippings at the winter meetings and patting themselves on the back for a team that they were surprised did as well as it did. I have never seen them lose so many low scoring games like this in years. The time for a deal was at the Winter Meetings when their rookies stock was soaring not now when it has plummeted. A defensive late inning replacement with a glove is not someone you trade for Giancarlo Stanton.  This team cannot get out of its own way, losing series to Minnesota and other bottom feeders is pathetic.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

QUESTION #1 So we are ranked 17th, defensively and still at 500 or below so who still feel our current lineup will hit enough to win a playoff spot? I will ask the same question at the midway and 3/4 point if we still have yet to make changes.

I feel just about as confident in making the playoffs as I did all winter. 

QUESTION #2 How many of you still feel Middy has hope and JBJ will reach Ells status offensively anytime soon?

I still have a little hope that Middy becomes a plus, but that was about the same amount I had this past winter and the winter before.

I never expected JBJ to reach the same offensive level as Ellsbury. I felt he might approach Ellsbury's recent OPS of about .775 after a couple years or so, but the SB total would keep him behind.

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Here is an odd and somewhat troubling fact. At this point in the season, Bogaerts has a total of five RBIs. Maybe it is just coincidental . 

Stabbed by Foulke.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here is an odd and somewhat troubling fact. At this point in the season, Bogaerts has a total of five RBIs. Maybe it is just coincidental . 

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

It is a somewhat bizarre stat.  He hasn't had an RBI in his last 17 games.  That's almost hard to do.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

JBJ won't pass Ellsbury offensively anytime soon, nor is he expected to be.  There is a reason why Ellsbury got a $154M contract.

Past that, my offer still stands.  I'll take the RS even over anyone in our division.

Tag bet Joey?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

QUESTION #1 So we are ranked 17th, defensively and still at 500 or below so who still feel our current lineup will hit enough to win a playoff spot?  I will ask the same question at the midway and 3/4 point if we still have yet to make changes. 

QUESTION #2 How many of you still feel Middy has hope and JBJ will reach Ells status offensively anytime soon?

It will be interesting to see who ends up right or wrong so please feel free to stay out of the conversation or stick with your current predictions.  Our pitching has done their job for the most part but I still say this team has major issues regardless of being only a couple games out.

[/QUOTE]

Question #1 - I still feel we will make a playoff spot. Like Papi stated..the bats will heat up when the weather heats up..and I seem to remember this is a sort of theme with this team in past seasons. The offense seems to get better as the season goes on. Added to that..the AL east isn't exactly topping the charts so far this season.

Question #2 - I still feel Middy has hope but reserve the right to re-evaluate in June. JBJ is not going to reach Ells status this year. He is an exciting CF'er but he is still a rookie. No one should be expecting him to reach all star status this season. I remember no shortage of people clamoring to give the rookies a shot this year. The Sox are doing that...the growing pains are there and we have to be patient. That being said I am more than happy with JBJ's defense in CF. In this regard he has exceeded my expectations.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Tag bet Joey?

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Of course.  Which team are you selecting to beat us?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Tag bet Joey?

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

arent you saying we will beat all of them? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I still have a little hope that Middy becomes a plus, but that was about the same amount I had this past winter and the winter before.

I'd have traded him after his first season.  But we are passed that now.  He is the latest in a long line of people like Bard, Hughes, Joba.  You have a trade point where you can back your investment and then some.

But then you get passed that point where his potential is worth more than you'd get in a trade.  That's where we are now.  He could still be a Reynolds equivalent, with less power and more glove, but we have no choice but to let it play out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Tag bet Joey?

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

arent you saying we will beat all of them? 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I'm saying we are the best team in the division, narrowly better than the NYY, the Rays, and the Os.  But I have always acknowledged that one of the three could have an exceptional season and win 92+.

So it is simple at this point.  If you think we aren't the best team in the division, then you can wager on whomever you think is better.

Or, if you think we are pretty good, but not a team that stands out all that much, then we are in agreement.  LMK which way you go.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Assuming no significant upgrades, we will make the playoffs only if 84 wins gets us there. Second, RE: WMB, while there is always a chance a player will somehow turn it around, his chances are exceedingly small. I would say he is the next Lars Anderson. Bradley has a better chance, but with an OPS below .600 now, he should be headed back to Pawtucket in a few weeks if he cannot improve. No amount of defense can compensate for that level of incompetence at the plate.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

I'll repeat what I said in early April. "I've seen better line-ups on DRAGNET."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Since the pitchers are getting the calls on everything within 2" of the plate, Middlebrooks has little chance. He is not capable, for some reason, of picking the ball up in time to react. I see Napoli falling into the same category. right now he is the They swing and miss, or they take a pitch 2" outside that's called a strike. I thing JBJ will eventually make it. He is about as smooth as any center fielder we've ever had, and having the advantage of hitting lefty, I would give him at least another couple of years (some of that at AAA learning tu hit. I don't feel the same way about Middlebrooks. I think they should start grooming Mookie Betts as the 3rd basement of the (near) future, and go with Holt until that time comes along.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

1.  The Sox had magic last year.  It was evident from the start of the season.  Last year's team was fun to watch.

2.  This year's team has no magic (so far).  They are boring most of the time.

3.  Ellsbury, Drew and Salty were FAR SUPERIOR to JBJ, Xander and A.J. in offensive production.

4.  The defense is much worse this year than last, certainly on the left side.

5.  Will Middlebrooks is a colossal disappointment both offensively and defensively.  He is looking like he will never be a consistent hitter.  Too many strike outs, not enough hits.  

6.  Buchholz can never be counted on for a full season and now he looks like a mediocre pitcher.

Still, the minor league system is stocked with good prospects and the AL East is not strong so, despite all their flaws, the Sox have a chance, albeit a small one, to still make the playoffs.  Ben will have to make some changes but the potential is still there.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Don't worry Larry Luchinno has our back. he would have been a great motivational speaker on the SS Titanic after it hit the iceberg. Middlebrooks cannot hit, he did not hit for average last year and is not hitting now. Bradley did not hit last year and is woeful this year, Baeggerts has one home run and 5 RBIs this year. These kids are not ready and are struggling big time. Ellsbury was a major loss because Larry wanted to go cheap major league minimum minor league ball players. Saltalamachia's was let go because we have a catcher in Triple AAA Pawtucket who is "Almost" ready. I cannot wait to see this kid come up after Larry's success with the other three so far. This is what we have now, a mediocre team, while he pats himself on the back for last year. Way to go Larry.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Ellsbury was a major loss because Larry wanted to go cheap major league minimum minor league ball players.

We're 3rd in payroll, and would be #2 behind the NYY except for sudden retirement of Dempster.  I wouldn't call that cheap.

And why do you think it LL being cheap?  He doesn't own the team, so he doesn't have any interest in going cheap.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

LOL  good line and it looks like it is true more often than not...oh well you cant win it all every year

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Man is talking about our CURRENT lineup.  With them I'm not so sure. I think a move or two should be necessary by around midseason

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

LOL  good line and it looks like it is true more often than not...oh well you cant win it all every year

[/QUOTE]

Not with this FO. They are much more effective getting rid of players, than they are in adding new ones.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

I'd have traded him after his first season.  But we are passed that now.  He is the latest in a long line of people like Bard, Hughes, Joba.  You have a trade point where you can back your investment and then some.

But then you get passed that point where his potential is worth more than you'd get in a trade.  That's where we are now.  He could still be a Reynolds equivalent, with less power and more glove, but we have no choice but to let it play out./QUOTE][object HTMLDivElement]

I suggested several trades of Middlebrooks after his first season. Most here did not approve. I can't remember all my suggestions, but I know one was for Gavin Floyd, so that one wouldn't have helped.

I also suggested trading Brentz when he was climbing the prospect list for basically the same reasons. It looks like his ship has just about sailed as well.