1/4 through, who still feel confident?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: 1/4 through, who still feel confident?

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I still have a little hope that Middy becomes a plus, but that was about the same amount I had this past winter and the winter before.

I'd have traded him after his first season.  But we are passed that now.  He is the latest in a long line of people like Bard, Hughes, Joba.  You have a trade point where you can back your investment and then some.

But then you get passed that point where his potential is worth more than you'd get in a trade.  That's where we are now.  He could still be a Reynolds equivalent, with less power and more glove, but we have no choice but to let it play out./QUOTE][object HTMLDivElement]

I suggested several trades of Middlebrooks after his first season. Most here did not approve. I can't remember all my suggestions, but I know one was for Gavin Floyd, so that one wouldn't have helped.

I also suggested trading Brentz when he was climbing the prospect list for basically the same reasons. It looks like his ship has just about sailed as well.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Well, the problem with some of these suggestions is that everyone sees the same issues.  WMB's 191/40 won't go unnoticed.  Neither would Brentz' 451/143.  Sometimes the best option, and sometimes the only option, is to hope a player figures it out.  The idea that we going to swindle a team out of their star, because they don't have scouts aware of Brentz' or WMB's strike zone tendencies, doesn't happen.

What happens more often than the big swindle is that guys like like Chris Davis finally wake up to what they need to do to succeed.  His K/W was pretty similar to WMB until he reached age 26.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I still have a little hope that Middy becomes a plus, but that was about the same amount I had this past winter and the winter before.

I'd have traded him after his first season.  But we are passed that now.  He is the latest in a long line of people like Bard, Hughes, Joba.  You have a trade point where you can back your investment and then some.

But then you get passed that point where his potential is worth more than you'd get in a trade.  That's where we are now.  He could still be a Reynolds equivalent, with less power and more glove, but we have no choice but to let it play out./QUOTE][object HTMLDivElement]

I suggested several trades of Middlebrooks after his first season. Most here did not approve. I can't remember all my suggestions, but I know one was for Gavin Floyd, so that one wouldn't have helped.

I also suggested trading Brentz when he was climbing the prospect list for basically the same reasons. It looks like his ship has just about sailed as well.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Well, the problem with some of these suggestions is that everyone sees the same issues.  WMB's 191/40 won't go unnoticed.  Neither would Brentz' 451/143.  Sometimes the best option, and sometimes the only option, is to hope a player figures it out.  The idea that we going to swindle a team out of their star, because they don't have scouts aware of Brentz' or WMB's strike zone tendencies, doesn't happen.

What happens more often than the big swindle is that guys like like Chris Davis finally wake up to what they need to do to succeed.  His K/W was pretty similar to WMB until he reached age 26./QUOTE][object HTMLDivElement]

Certainly there were times some teams wanted Middy, Brentz and Lars Anderson. Maybe they weren't about to give up the world in return, but their stock was certainly much higher at earlier points in their careers. Teams would have given more for Middy after his first year than after last year or right now. Many teams are willing to overlook huge K/BB ratios in return for 30+ HR power or potential, including the Sox, who drafted these guys and gave Middy the FT job knowing very well what they were getting in return for hopes of power provided.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Everyone has an opinion--which is great. Former success stories in the recent past: Lowrie, Reddick, Moss, Salty?? could these guys play on this Sox team this season. One teams "not so goods" is another teams treasures.

WMB will become one of the treasures for another team. The important step is to be willing to be wrong a few times. We have an abundance but someone needs to find the Pedroia's and the Ortiz's that will stay around for a long time to build some success around.

I think the strongest competition this year may come from the Jays--I would have said the Rays but their pitching has been decimated. The Jays will continue to make changes on the fly: adding Francisco to play 3 B and 1 B was a nice pick-up. Allowing Arencibia to walk  was a nice move. No one is safe with the Jays--that keeps players on their toes. They played much of the early season without a closer. I say watch out for the Jays--I see them winning the East.

The Sox need to be willing to make some "Stealth" decisions. Trading Doubront while he has value--Marlins, Atlanta, Houston.

Move one of the young pitchers in AAA--it keeps the others on their toes.

Move a guy like Nava or WMB when he's healthy.

Move either AJ or Ross and bring up Vazquez--how much can that hurt the team--you moved Salty and he was a better offensive threat than either of the guys we have and Vazquez is a better defensive guy than Ross.

So there is time for changes someone has to be smart about change.

Be willing to admit you were wrong about Mujica--he may not have been ready for Fenway--the Cards may have been on to something when they let him go.

BenC and LL have to just do what they have to do to make the team more competitive. They don't have the feel that Marrero is ready for Fenway SS yet--so they may resign Drew. They will live with the decision.

They can live with Sizemore in CF--send JBJ to AAA perhaps until there is an injury or til Sept. call-ups. Play Carp and Gomes in LF.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

Although Sox have played pretty bad in the first quarter, especially those losses by 1 run, they are still not to deep in a hole since everyone but the Tigers seem to be floundering so far.  But they can't be in this same situation come half way point to have ant playoff aspirations.  I still have playoff hope considering the talent they half.

hard to tell if JBJ can be as good as Ellsbury offensively at this point given Ells himself was not that great his first and second year with the Sox.  But the odds are small for JBJ to equal Ells offensively given how good Ells matured into, and surprised everyone, especially that one year when he hit for power.  He has turned into one of the best contact hitters with the most desirable lead off qualities.  I doubt JBJ can come anywhere close.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

The silver lining is, they're below .500 and are only three games out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

hard to tell if JBJ can be as good as Ellsbury offensively at this point given Ells himself was not that great his first and second year with the Sox.

Lots of CFs start off slow like Ellsbury.

Gardner had ~ .565 through 200 ABs.

Tori Hunter ~ .585 through about 200 ABs.

Bourn at .600 thru 600 ABs.

Carlos Gomez at ~ .600 thru maybe 220 ABs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wonder if Lester/Sizemore/ and a throw-in like Carp or Nava would appeal to a play-off bound team come July..

We have a lot of trade chips....

Peavey, Uehara, Gomez..... 

[/QUOTE]

Can't see us letting Lester go, if we do our staff will take a huge hit so we really should lock the guy up soon and not make him anymore embarrassing offers.  I think Middy needs to go regardless of the ceiling some may feel he could reach.  Since Middy's rookie season when many felt he may replace Youk's offense the guy has either had a few sort hot streaks or been on the DL.

I still like JBJ but if the return was worth it I would be willing to package both he and Middy if we could move Betts into the OF ASAP in the minors.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Seems like the team is at a crossroads and has a choice to make: either jettison some of the noncontributing riff-raff and make an attempt to compete (eg: Middlebrooks and Bradley) or give this a chance to play out and see if they can come around and contribute to another run for a ring in the future. I don't think we can keep these guys (along with Hererra and Ross who also cannot hit the baseball) on the roster together and make a legitimate run for the playoffs.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

QUESTION #1 So we are ranked 17th, defensively and still at 500 or below so who still feel our current lineup will hit enough to win a playoff spot? I will ask the same question at the midway and 3/4 point if we still have yet to make changes.

I still think the Sox will make the playoffs.  They are not as good as last year's team, but they are better than they have been playing so far.  I am confident that they will hit their stride soon enough and start playing ball like they are capable.

QUESTION #2 How many of you still feel Middy has hope and JBJ will reach Ells status offensively anytime soon?

Middlebrooks was my biggest concern going into the season.  Or more specifically, lack of depth on the left side of the infield.   Still, he can certainly hit better than his current .197/.305/.324 slash line.  

I had no problem with JBJ being our everyday CF.  I never expected him to hit like Ells, but he too can certainly hit better than his current line. 

I understand the "let the kids play" mentality, but it carries a big risk with it, as we are seeing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

QUESTION #1 So we are ranked 17th, defensively and still at 500 or below so who still feel our current lineup will hit enough to win a playoff spot? I will ask the same question at the midway and 3/4 point if we still have yet to make changes.

I still think the Sox will make the playoffs.  They are not as good as last year's team, but they are better than they have been playing so far.  I am confident that they will hit their stride soon enough and start playing ball like they are capable.

QUESTION #2 How many of you still feel Middy has hope and JBJ will reach Ells status offensively anytime soon?

Middlebrooks was my biggest concern going into the season.  Or more specifically, lack of depth on the left side of the infield.   Still, he can certainly hit better than his current .197/.305/.324 slash line.  

I had no problem with JBJ being our everyday CF.  I never expected him to hit like Ells, but he too can certainly hit better than his current line. 

I understand the "let the kids play" mentality, but it carries a big risk with it, as we are seeing.

[/QUOTE] hi Kimmi, how are you?..hope you had a great Mother's Day  :-) 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

You know what is a big part of the problem, imho, is that we just have a number of guys underperforming.  The problem of a GG CF batting 9th and not hitting is only a problem of you have deficiencies elsewhere.  Papi is the only guy killing the ball, with a DH sOPS of 150.  1st, 2nd, and SS are above average, but only at 108, 113, and 110.  Meanwhile, we get killed at the other positions, with LF topping off at 85.

I can understand CF, with a GG rookie out there, and RF, because Vic missed a lot of time, and Nava did nothing, but LF should be an above-average slot for us with Gomes and Sizemore platooning.

And another huge reversal from last year is the bench.  Last year, it was virtually impossible to have done better.  This year, they've suppled very little.  Last year, we have Nava, Carp, and Iggy for a .831, .885, and .785.  This year, Nava and Carp were at .509 and .633, while Herrera replaced Iggy with a .480.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

You know what is a big part of the problem, imho, is that we just have a number of guys underperforming.  The problem of a GG CF batting 9th and not hitting is only a problem of you have deficiencies elsewhere.  Papi is the only guy killing the ball, with a DH sOPS of 150.  1st, 2nd, and SS are above average, but only at 108, 113, and 110.  Meanwhile, we get killed at the other positions, with LF topping off at 85.

I can understand CF, with a GG rookie out there, and RF, because Vic missed a lot of time, and Nava did nothing, but LF should be an above-average slot for us with Gomes and Sizemore platooning.

And another huge reversal from last year is the bench.  Last year, it was virtually impossible to have done better.  This year, they've suppled very little.  Last year, we have Nava, Carp, and Iggy for a .831, .885, and .785.  This year, Nava and Carp were at .509 and .633, while Herrera replaced Iggy with a .480.

[/QUOTE]

We took a huge step back in a few positions.  A couple were expected while Bogy and JBJ mature while others we just hoped for the best like LF and Middy again.  We are close enough to first place to make adjustments and with Mookie in LF today all signs point towards our FO thinking out of the box as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Farrell: Young players need time to watch

By Ian Browne / MLB.com | 5/18/2014 7:53 P.M. ET

Farrell doesn't anticipate major lineup changes
    Cherington: Red Sox always looking to improve

BOSTON -- Jackie Bradley Jr., who took a .200 average into Sunday night's game, was back in the lineup after getting a day off on Saturday.

Red Sox manager John Farrell hoped the center fielder benefited from the chance to be a spectator for a day.

"I think the need comes up for almost every player, regardless of age, where a breather can be helpful," said Farrell. "But I think when you look at Xander [Bogaerts] or Jackie, in their particular case, the ability to sit and watch a game from the dugout can be beneficial. Being a left-handed hitter, in Jackie's case, how are the left-handed pitchers attacking those hitters in that case, just to see it differently without the in-game emotion that might be attached to it."

If things start clicking for Bogaerts and Bradley, the fortunes of the Red Sox could improve greatly. But there's never any telling when young players will take the next step.

"I think the game will speed up on everybody, regardless of their age," Farrell said. "It might happen more readily for a guy who's less experienced. When you see some of the actions inside the game or in between the lines, that might lend to them speeding up emotionally, that's when you might take a brief step back to let them regroup, and we're hopeful that that happens. I think we've seen it with Xander in short stints where we've held him out, and hopefully Jackie's been able to benefit from a day down yesterday."
    Farrell doesn't anticipate major lineup changes

BOSTON -- The Red Sox entered Sunday night's action with the Tigers in the midst of their third three-game losing streak of the season, but with the knowledge that they could be just a tick from where they need to be.

A 5-10 record in one-run games serves as another reminder that the fortunes of the team should improve greatly once the hits start coming with men on base.

"One thing I will continually say is that for the first 42 games, we have done a very good job of getting on base," said manager John Farrell. "Third in the American League [in on-base percentage], and the disconnect is the runs scored.

"You go from third in on-base to 10th or 11th [in runs scored], and that's where I think opposing pitchers have managed our lineup a bit to get to spots in it to shut off an inning, to take advantage of possibly some inexperience, and yet we still can't abandon our approach at the plate, and that is to see pitches and grind out at-bats to get into a bullpen hopefully sooner than later."

At this point, Farrell doesn't anticipate any major lineup changes.

"Well, we have the players that are here," said Farrell. "We're going to continue to put together a game plan to work to win each and every night. We've seen a couple of different alignments that have included everyone on this roster, and we'll continue to work toward that end."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

QUESTION #1 So we are ranked 17th, defensively and still at 500 or below so who still feel our current lineup will hit enough to win a playoff spot?  I will ask the same question at the midway and 3/4 point if we still have yet to make changes.
    Yes, if for no other reason than I do not believe this lineup is as bad as it has looked so far. Bogaerts and Bradley are capable of better. Several veterans such as Victorino, Pedroia, etc. are underperforming; Napoli is in one of his cold spells but will come out of it, as he always does. I don't think we will go all the way with our "current lineup" -- I'm pretty sure moves will be made, either by trade or promotion from the farm or both -- but I do still feel good about ending up with a playoff spot. The rest of the division has had a great chance to bury us in the early going and failed. We have a lot of questions to answer, but lots of time and resources to answer them.

Does Middy have hope? Sure. I still don't think it's extremely far-fetched to see him as a Mark Trumbo type -- low average, low OBP, high strikeouts, but around 30 home runs a year -- and while that may not fit the "Red Sox model" long term, there is some value there. I'm not terribly optimistic about his career at this point, but it still makes little sense to me to give up on a potential power bat at the same time we're complaining about a lack of power in the lineup.
    As for JBJ, I think he is capable of something in the ballpark of Ellsbury's current .756 OPS or even last year's .781. He obviously does not have Ellsbury's speed but will probably match or exceed him in power (Ells hit more than 9 HR only once). He rocketed through the minors with a .297/.404/.471 line, and I don't buy the notion that he's nothing more than a good-field, no-hit player in the major leagues. It may take a little more patience than some of us expected or might prefer, but I think he will get there...probably not this season. But I consider the idea that JBJ has to equal Ellsbury's production hit-for-hit to be valuable to be a fallacy anyway.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

07 Ells went from Double AA, to be starting in WS, I think that is rocketing a little faster. Besides batting .438 in WS. Ellsbury better hitter in the Minors. Just have to hope JBJ works through this.

Remember JBJ slumped last year in Triple AAA, in the Months of June, July, and Aug. Everybody keeps saying he killed it in Triple AAA last year and he didn't. Had a .250 avg for those months.
    Had to look it up, June .256, July .224, Aug. .253. If he can hit.250 this year I'll be Super happy, just have to be patient, long season. Needs to get on a hot streak.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

07 Ells went from Double AA, to be starting in WS, I think that is rocketing a little faster. Besides batting .438 in WS. Ellsbury better hitter in the Minors. Just have to hope JBJ works through this.

And JBJ went straight to the majors after a half-season in Double-A...and was younger when he did it. And had a higher minor league OPS than Ellsbury (by some .060 points), so "better hitter in the minors" is debatable at best.

Not that his numbers vis-a-vis Ellsbury should really matter -- he's not going to be and shouldn't be expected to be an Ellsbury clone -- but all of the above are reasons not to write Bradley's bat off after some 250 PA's in the majors.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...but all of the above are reasons not to write Bradley's bat off after some 250 PA's in the majors.

250+ PAs scattered over 4-5 different stints on the big club, I might add.

Sox4ever

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Remember JBJ slumped last year in Triple AAA, in the Months of June, July, and Aug. Everybody keeps saying he killed it in Triple AAA last year and he didn't. Had a .250 avg for those months.
    Had to look it up, June .256, July .224, Aug. .253. If he can hit.250 this year I'll be Super happy, just have to be patient, long season. Needs to get on a hot streak.

[/QUOTE]

438 for Jake is INFLATED

he was 7 for 16

3 of those hits were FLAIRS....TEXAS LEAUGERS......DYING QUAILS......

take those 3 hits away (at least one was a double by the way, maybe 2) and he's 4 for 16 or a mere 250