1 Billion Spent on Big Labor: What Went Wrong in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: 1 Billion Spent on Big Labor: What Went Wrong in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012?

Beat that horse some more...is it still dead?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

They didn't spend 1 billion dollars in those 4 years and wont this year. The highest payroll was around 180 million. But you don't like facts ad are a very jealous man.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What went wrong?

They followed softy's advice and excpet for Lackey, made no bold pitcher signing or trade in the last 5 years.

Aren't we all glad Theo and Ben have done just what softy has wanted as his primary goal? (No pitching upgrades necessary.)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Not to sound bias, but the 2012 Texas Rangers had a bigger collapse than the 2011 Red Sox.

The Red Sox blew a 9-game lead in the month of Sept.  But the Rangers blew a 5-game lead over Oakland with only 9 games to go.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Bill James and the Sabermetric analysis of baseball players.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Softy they did not spend a billion. They spent  which is

2012   175 mil

2011   163 mil

2010   168 mil

2009   121 mil

By adding those up you get 627 million which is a lot closer to a half than a whole. At least it is from the schools I learned math in.

Of course do not let the truth get in the way of your exaggeration.

BTW the teams were contenders and just because they did not make the playoffs or win a WS does not make it a waste. See players and teams have ups and downs and not all things work out the way you want or expect. So bury the horse for all of us.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

They spent closer to a billion than a half a billion during those 4 years. Hard to be jealous of players who make less than I do.

right but they don't care a bit about you, while you obsess over them. So I think you might be jealous.  Which makes you even more adorable than usual.

It is so cute when you tell people on the internet how rich you are.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Softy...... "WE DIDN'T BUILD THAT TEAM" !!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to BannedOnTheRun-1918's comment:

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

2012   175 mil

2011   163 mil

2010   168 mil

2009   121 mil

By adding those up you get 627 million which is a lot closer to a half than a whole. At least it is from the schools I learned math in.

BTW the teams were contenders and just because they did not make the playoffs or win a WS does not make it a waste. See players and teams have ups and downs and not all things work out the way you want or expect. So bury the horse for all of us.

Sorry, but 2011 & 2012 were not contenders

The Sox missed the playoff by one game and if they had this years rules they would have made it in.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

2012   175 mil

2011   163 mil

2010   168 mil

2009   121 mil

Don't ask softy to "do the math". After his "do the math" thread, he lost all credibility in that area.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Don't ask softy to "do the math". After his "do the math" thread, he lost all credibility in that area

I'm still laughing about median average :)

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Don't ask softy to "do the math". After his "do the math" thread, he lost all credibility in that area

I'm still laughing about median average :)

That was long before "do the math" where is math was wrong in every single way. His list of game logs was inaccurate. I pointed it out about a dozen times, but he kept copy'n'pasting falsehoods regardless of the truth. Finally, after weeks he corrected the error, but not his central point that was supposedly backed up by the data- that was false and actually counter to his position. It was one of the funniest threads of the season.

His main point was that if our bats didn't score early, our staff couldn't be expected to win any games, and that this somehow proved our main issue was hitting not pitching. I offered pages of real counter data both game by game and aggregate to show that the exact opposite conclusion should be reached, and he bolted the thread, then got banned so the thread was erased, and in his mind, it never happened (or didn't happen the way we all know it did).

He did the same thing on Wake. I provided game by game detailed analysis of Wake's starts from 2008 to his injury in 2009 showing clearly that these were perhaps his best consecutive 50 starts in his career- all coming after softy called for his retirement from MLB the first time (after 2007). I then showed him the details of his first 15 startes of 2011, and how the fielding he had been bashing for years had cost Wake many wins, ERs, and runs allowed. How Wake had a higher percent of inherited runners allowed to score than any other starter. How Tito sacrificed Wake by leaving him in to "save the pen" way more often than any other atrter, And, after all of this, his numbers by the game logs showed he pitched well or decent in a higher percentage of starts than most of our starters and the vast majority of MLB 5th starters... not bad for a #6 starter, but apparently, softy viewed Wake as the number 1 reason we lost in 2011 with our back-up catcher (VTek) a close second. (Now you see why so many clown references are used.)

He then challenged me to name all the #5 starters who were as bad or worse than Wake. I found and listed more than 30 starters in MLB (more than one per team) with the same or worse numbers than Wake. (I think it was like 43.) He then claimed no winning team keeps a pitcher with a 5+ ERA in the rotation. I showed how virtually every AL champ since 2003 had 1 or 2 starters with an ERA over 5.00. His idol GM, Cashman, even kept Burnett on the team for 2 straight years over 5.00 and made sure he got 33 starts each year.

This went on and on. Him demanding proof, him being exposed by the newly provided proof, then him moving the goalposts or conjuring up new bogus numbers or delusions.

One of his most stunning claims was that the reason Ellsbury had a great 2011 was because he faced more fastballs. Someone else did the honors on this one by showing the opposite was actually true. He then claimed it was because AGon was in the line-up 2-3 slots below him, that helped him have these inflated numbers... an absurd theory on so many levels that the clown label was actually a big understatement.

The "median average" claim to fame is the classic, of course, but what makes it even more absurd is that he continued using this term for years as if everyone knew what it meant and that it actually is a real mathematical term. 

His constant use of small sample sizes in making definitive judgements is to me his most egregious  and repeating mathematical blunder. He even, one time,  used one pitch to write off a player. Another player's whole inner fotitude was fully sized up by softy based on the music that came from his car as he pulled into the parking lot. 

He once admitted, "I don't watch the games, nor do I have to watch them to know more than you idiots on this board..." I guess this sums up his ignorance of the game as much as anything else.

I honestly can not think of a single baseball position he has gotten right since the Mauer extension with the Twins, and even that was a tainted "victory" since he said he'd be signed for $17-18M/yr, something those of us who were sure he'd go elsewhere claimed he never do. When he signed with the Twins, he instantly jumped on myself and others for being wrong, when I had said from teh start that if he signed with the twins, he'd be leaving a record amount of money on the table to take a hometown discount. If he ad indeed signed for $17-18M a year with the Twins, I would have been right. I was right about what he actually signed for, but dead wrong about the team. softy was right about the team, but dead wrong about the money, but I was nice and webnt ahead and gave him that one. He never let me forget it, not realizing that unlike him, I don't run from my mistakes, and telling the world about my mistakes from years ago does not affect me like it obviously affects him. He assumes everyone dreads being wrong from time to time, and strives to conceal past mistakes or rewrite history to make one's self the hero or "only one" to hold a certain position that apparently came true. 

It's a never-ending regurgitation of the same patterns over and over.... just under new minikers that he sometimes claims he is not the old softy, and other times bosts of the fact that he is, while others forgets which way he was supposed to play it that new time. The emulation of the old law2005A, B, C.... and the talking about himself in the 3rd person, the continous bashing of Theo, the antisemitism, racism, ad hom attacks, and more is alarming. 

It's hard to find a place to stop when trying to get a holistic view of this clown. I guess here is as good a place as any.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

excpet for Lackey, made no bold pitcher signing or trade in the last 5 years.

In fact, had they listened to you they would have the contract of Santana instead of the cost of Lester, which is boldly idiotic.

InEpstein and Cherry would have Kemp via trade, no Crawford, and would still have AGon. They would not have Lackey, Santana and Jenks, to name a few.

In the last 5 years, the only "bold pitching signing" were pipe dream 2nd rate pitchers on 1st rate contracts. There was no Schilling and there was no Pedro. And what did you do to medicate your "we need a good 1 or 2 SP" fix, you advocated paying Wakefield 2M for 2012.

This season, you've come up with such great namers as A. Sanchez, Marcum, McCarthey and Anderson, as if those 2nd rate bums are coming in and topping the great "bold pitching signing" Lackey and Beckett's absurd premature extension.

LMAO

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

2012   175 mil

2011   163 mil

2010   168 mil

2009   121 mil

2011 was certainly a contending team. Are you kidding? They were the best team in Baseball for most of the year. Just because sept happened, doesnt make them a non contender because they missed the playoffs by 1 game.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

2012   175 mil

2011   163 mil

2010   168 mil

2009   121 mil

2011 was certainly a contending team. Are you kidding? They were the best team in Baseball for most of the year. Just because sept happened, doesnt make them a non contender because they missed the playoffs by 1 game.

That's just babe being babe. I pretty much ignore him unless he's being funny.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The Sox missed the playoff by one game and if they had this years rules they would have made it in.

And if the queen had balls she'd be the king.

Contenders make the playoffs, pretenders do not.

And if you said something smart it would a first.

Sections
Shortcuts