#1 Threat to a 2011 WSC for the Red Sox: Philadelphia.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

#1 Threat to a 2011 WSC for the Red Sox: Philadelphia.

Pitching 1- 3, no issue over there in Philly. How about a well rested and determined Roy Oswalt as your #4?  Boston has no chance to match this. While Tito refuses to build starting pitchers strength and endurance by yanking every starter after 5 or 6 the boys in Philly are going all the way, and driving in runs just for kicks.  

The Phillies starting staff is led by Roy Haliday, Cliff Lee, and Cole Hamels. Vance Worley has been a big plus and pleasent surprise and with Oswalts return he fits perfectly into the 5 spot.  The starters boast an era of 3.09, 14 complete games, and oppenents have a measly .296 obp off them.  The relief corps has just been bolstered by Brad Lidge, and overall they have helped combine with the starters for a major league leading 15 shutouts. I ask you, who needs the best offense if your just going to shut out the oponent?  

Our forum members bicker over who is the #3 (both Lackey and Wakefield have era's over 4.85).... we tear at one another over how much catchers influence a game, or wether wins and losses matter to the individual starter among other things. Our starters have a total 2 complete games, a team era of 3.93 and surrendered a generous 110 homers (the Phillies have given up 81). Go ahead and check out walks issued and again Philly squashes the Sox. Our pen is in decent shape but I wonder how they will fare in October. 

Can you honestly see Beckett or even Lester going 8+ against Holliday or Lee? Vance Worley is their #5 for heavens sake, he would be our #3 here even if he had both arms broken.

Heres a more important question: How important is your #3 if your 1 and 2 starters get beat by Haliday/Lee? Can Lackey or Wakefield save the day at that point?

Boston cannot possibly beat the Phillies at this momnt in a best for 7.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: #1 Threat to a 2011 WSC for the Red Sox: Philadelphia.

Obviously the Phillies' rotation makes them solid favorites.

However, the Sox have had a lot of success against Halladay over the years.  His career mark against Boston is 14-15 with a 4.39 ERA.  The last time we faced him, the only time with Philly, we got him for 6 earned runs in 5.2 innings.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

In Response to #1 Threat to a 2011 WSC for the Red Sox: Philadelphia.:
    [QUOTE]Pitching 1- 3, no issue here in Philly. How about a well rested and determined Roy Oswalt as your #4?  Boston has no chance to match this. While Tito refuses to build starting pitchers strength and endurance by yanking every starter after 5 or 6 the boys in Philly are going all the way, and driving in runs just for kicks.   The Phillies starting staff is led by Roy Haliday, Cliff Lee, and Cole Hamels. Vance Worley has been a big plus and pleasent surprise and with Oswalts return he fits perfectly into the 5 spot.  The starters boast an era of 3.09, 14 complete games, and oppenents have a measly .296 obp off them.  The relief corps has just been bolstered by Brad Lidge, and overall they have helped combine with the starters for a major league leading 15 shutouts. I ask you, who needs the best offense if your just going to shut out the oponent?   Our forum members bicker over who is the #3 (both Lackey and Wakefield have era's over 4.85).... we tear at one another over how much catchers influence a game, or wether wins and losses matter to the individual starter among other things. Our starters have a total 2 complete games and a team era of 3.93 and surrendered 110 homers (the Phillies have given up 81). Go ahead and check out walks issued and again Philly squashes the Sox. Our pen is in decent shape but I wonder how they will fare in October.  Can you honestly see Beckett or even Lester going 9 against Holliday or Lee? Vance Worley is their #5 for heavens sake. Boston cannot possibly beat the Phillies at this momnt in a best for 7.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]
    Both Philly and the Sox would have to make it to the the World Series for this matchup to occur.  Out of the 2 teams I'd say it is more of a lock to see Philly make it to the WS as they play in the NL against weaker competition.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

Current Phillie pitching staff , not good for the predominantly Left Handed batting Sox Lineup. They have hit Doc in the past, but Doc has also shut them out in the past, look it up. Doc is going to Cooperstown some day, and that would be for a reason.
     Lee is the consumate Lefty, kills LH batters, Carl Crawford against Lee, you've got to be kidding. Hamels has great stuff and he watches Lee every 5th day. Has a live fastball and great breaking stuff. Then a healthy Oswalt , oh yes they will light Oswalt up, don't think so. If its tied late Bard and Papelbon make it even. That is the Sox only hope. 

The Phillies then went out and got the kid from Houston to play right, he's hitting .350 for them, much more consistent than Jason Werth. They are a great team, best record in baseball. If the Sox make it to the Series , the Phillies in Six games, that's only because the Sox  have Pedroia, Youk , AGON , Ells and Papi. the rest will not hit Phillie pitching, especially the $142 million dollar man.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

If you consider a split for the first two games than we will be exposed to a battle of 3"s. Roy Oswalt/Vance Worley against Wake/Lackey? Then you still have to win at least 2 games against the tandem of Haliday/Lee.

Its possible that Worley will be in the pen with Kyle Kendrick who is another effective starter. They have so many good starters they have to put them in the pen.

The Phillies do not suffer on offense as much as some assume here either.

Yikes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Look at this way, just to get to the Series the Sox will have to be playing well.  Then we'll be underdogs in the Series.  I'll take it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: #1 Threat to a 2011 WSC for the Red Sox: Philadelphia.:
    [QUOTE]If you consider a split for the first two games than we will be exposed to a battle of 3"s. Roy Oswalt/Vance Worley against Wake/Lackey? Then you still have to win at least 2 games against the tandem of Haliday/Lee. Its possible that Worley will be in the pen with Kyle Kendrick who is another effective starter. They have so many good starters they have to put them in the pen. The Phillies do not suffer on offense as much as some assume here either. Yikes.

The Phillies really made a great deal by aquiring Pence.  They hit well enough for their strong pitching to win games.  I also feel they have much better pitching than we do so they are the team to beat. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

How does the quality of competion compare that these pitchers faced?

2011 OPS of batters faced
    Halladay       .734
    Lee               .750
    Hamels          .729  

Beckett         .749
    Lester           .748

Hitting is down but here are the OPS of batters faced by Halladay 2010 - 07:

.765   .799   .789    .797

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I can't see Philly not winning the World Series this year. Obviously, I'm hoping our guys get there and beat them, but with their pitching and improved offense, it'll be a tall order.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]I can't see Philly not winning the World Series this year. Obviously, I'm hoping our guys get there and beat them, but with their pitching and improved offense, it'll be a tall order.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

The Phils on paper should win it all but anything can happen down the stretch to change a teams make up.  Our sketchy pitching is showing up much more since our offensive numbers have leveled out so with Clay out there is a lot of pressure on Bedard.  If Lackey or Wake need to pitch for us in the PS, our best prayer may be to out score the opposing teams.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]Current Phillie pitching staff , not good for the predominantly Left Handed batting Sox Lineup. They have hit Doc in the past, but Doc has also shut them out in the past, look it up. Doc is going to Cooperstown some day, and that would be for a reason.  Lee is the consumate Lefty, kills LH batters, Carl Crawford against Lee, you've got to be kidding. Hamels has great stuff and he watches Lee every 5th day. Has a live fastball and great breaking stuff. Then a healthy Oswalt , oh yes they will light Oswalt up, don't think so. If its tied late Bard and Papelbon make it even. That is the Sox only hope.  The Phillies then went out and got the kid from Houston to play right, he's hitting .350 for them, much more consistent than Jason Werth. They are a great team, best record in baseball. If the Sox make it to the Series , the Phillies in Six games, that's only because the Sox  have Pedroia, Youk , AGON , Ells and Papi. the rest will not hit Phillie pitching, especially the $142 million dollar man.
    Posted by aussiewill[/QUOTE]

Do not forget that Lee and Halladay will most likely pitch Game 1 and Game 2, which will be in Philadelphia.....so Papi will not even be in the lineup.....if it goe 6 or 7 , again Papi will not be in the lineup. It is going to be very tough to beat the Phillies in the WS...so if we get there, our best hope would be someone knocks them off like last year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: #1 Threat to a 2011 WSC for the Red Sox: Philadelphia. : Do not forget that Lee and Halladay will most likely pitch Game 1 and Game 2, which will be in Philadelphia.....so Papi will not even be in the lineup.....if it goe 6 or 7 , again Papi will not be in the lineup. It is going to be very tough to beat the Phillies in the WS...so if we get there, our best hope would be someone knocks them off like last year.
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

Not having Papi or playing at home is quite an up hill battle to climb.  The Phils also have a huge advantage when Lee pitches because he hits very good for a pitcher.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: #1 Threat to a 2011 WSC for the Red Sox: Philadelphia. : Do not forget that Lee and Halladay will most likely pitch Game 1 and Game 2, which will be in Philadelphia.....so Papi will not even be in the lineup.....if it goe 6 or 7 , again Papi will not be in the lineup. It is going to be very tough to beat the Phillies in the WS...so if we get there, our best hope would be someone knocks them off like last year.
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

I was not even touching on the offense, and you just made it all the more glaring. With the addition of Hunter Pence, and Ortiz missing key game it really negates the obvious advantage we should have offensively.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Well, its baseball, anything can happen.  The Phillies are no lock to make the Series, and the Sox are significantly less of a lock.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]Obviously the Phillies' rotation makes them solid favorites. However, the Sox have had a lot of success against Halladay over the years.  His career mark against Boston is 14-15 with a 4.39 ERA.  The last time we faced him, the only time with Philly, we got him for 6 earned runs in 5.2 innings.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

not only that

sox have been doing very well against to top pitchers this yr

edit :

sox have been doing very well against to top pitchers so far this yr

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: #1 Threat to a 2011 WSC for the Red Sox: Philadelphia. : not only that sox have been doing very well against to top pitchers this yr edit : sox have been doing very well against to top pitchers so far this yr
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

Who's to say the Sox or Phils even make the WS zac?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Who's to say the Sox or Phils even make the WS zac?

well craze

I wasn't going to bring that up

but I can recall    a certain team from ny

that was favored to go  many times and came up short

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

It's still way to early to be discussing World Series matchups...No one and I mean no one picked the Giant's to win it last year, let alone get past the Phillies. Who added Halladay to thier rotation last year and were the prohibitive favorites to win it all.

Another example of the age old axium in sport "that's why we play the games" Cliff Lee was 0 & 2 in the WS for the Rangers last year, getting outpitched twice by Lincecum.

The key to winning 4 games out of seven is solid effort from the starters with the bullpen's holding leads and the all important timely hitting...The names on the back of the jersey's don't win games, not does a players resume entering the post season...The team that scores the most runs before the last out is recorded, get credited with the win. Do that 11 times and you get one of those shinny trophies with the flags on it! And we the fans get to wear one of the funny hats they sell to the WS champs and get bragging rights for a year!

Buritto's opening post is his opin, nothing more nothing less and while I agree the Phillies are a formitable team, last I checked they've yet to record 1 post season victory in 2011, let alone the 11 required wins...

for me it's about enjoying the journey...So far it's been a good ride...come October and we're one of 8 teams left with a shot I'll be in front of my tube rooting for the hometowne 9 and if we play our best I like our chances...even against the formitable Phil's....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

There is no lock, this is baseball.   And might I remind the OP that Phillie plays in the NL East and doesn't face DHs?  Of course their ERA looks great.  Have them play a full years against the AL East, then we'll talk. 

It all comes down to whoever is hot when the playoffs start.   Injuries happen too.  It is way too early to even think about that stuff, just enjoy the ride. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from )))TheBabe(((. Show )))TheBabe((('s posts

[QUOTE]There is no lock, this is baseball.   And might I remind the OP that Phillie plays in the NL East and doesn't face DHs?  Of course their ERA looks great.  Have them play a full years against the AL East, then we'll talk.  It all comes down to whoever is hot when the playoffs start.   Injuries happen too.  It is way too early to even think about that stuff, just enjoy the ride. 

Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

And if they get to the WS the phillies will only see a DH a max of 3 games.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Well only one team out of thirty wins the WS trophy. The other 29 teams are complete failures and their fans are total imbeciles. I don't know whether to start my cruise around the world now, join a monastery in Tibet, or jump off the Prudential Center at noon tomorrow. I feel like Quasi Modo, woe is my, why aren't I made out of stone. Being a Sox fan is worse than being Job in the Old Testament. Like is a bi-tch.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to #1 Threat to a 2011 WSC for the Red Sox: Philadelphia.:
    [QUOTE]Pitching 1- 3, no issue over there in Philly. How about a well rested and determined Roy Oswalt as your #4?  Boston has no chance to match this. While Tito refuses to build starting pitchers strength and endurance by yanking every starter after 5 or 6 the boys in Philly are going all the way, and driving in runs just for kicks.   The Phillies starting staff is led by Roy Haliday, Cliff Lee, and Cole Hamels. Vance Worley has been a big plus and pleasent surprise and with Oswalts return he fits perfectly into the 5 spot.  The starters boast an era of 3.09, 14 complete games, and oppenents have a measly .296 obp off them.  The relief corps has just been bolstered by Brad Lidge, and overall they have helped combine with the starters for a major league leading 15 shutouts. I ask you, who needs the best offense if your just going to shut out the oponent?   Our forum members bicker over who is the #3 (both Lackey and Wakefield have era's over 4.85).... we tear at one another over how much catchers influence a game, or wether wins and losses matter to the individual starter among other things. Our starters have a total 2 complete games, a team era of 3.93 and surrendered a generous 110 homers (the Phillies have given up 81). Go ahead and check out walks issued and again Philly squashes the Sox. Our pen is in decent shape but I wonder how they will fare in October.  Can you honestly see Beckett or even Lester going 8+ against Holliday or Lee? Vance Worley is their #5 for heavens sake, he would be our #3 here even if he had both arms broken. Heres a more important question: How important is your #3 if your 1 and 2 starters get beat by Haliday/Lee? Can Lackey or Wakefield save the day at that point? Boston cannot possibly beat the Phillies at this momnt in a best for 7.
    first you secure the al east with home field. then you win two series. then you worry about philly if they are even there. there is a reason why the games are played.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I'm not convinced the Red Sox can get past the other American League teams, including the Detroit Tigers, who today added outfielder Delmon Young:

http://www.freep.com/article/20110815/SPORTS02/110815053/Tigers-acquire-Delmon-Young-trade-Twins

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

It's really early to be worrying about this, and even when it's time to there's no point in worrying.

I searched back in my memory about seven years and think about who won the WS that year, and ask myself, was that the best team in baseball that year?  Well, probably not, but they were the team that got hot at exactly the right time and that's all it takes. 

I know it's cliche, but regular season records don't matter once the post-season starts.  One bad outing by a pitcher, a couple of bad bounces, an error, and suddenly a very good team is eliminated. 

That's why them make the teams play 'em!  :-)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: #1 Threat to a 2011 WSC for the Red Sox: Philadelphia. : And if they get to the WS the phillies will only see a DH a max of 3 games.
    Posted by )))TheBabe((([/QUOTE]

That points out exactly what's wrong with giving home field advantage to the winner of the AS Game.  That, combined with the two sets of rules that the two leagues play by, means that EVERY World Series game one team or the other is going to be playing by a set of rules that they didn't use all year.  

Making the visitors play by a "new" set of rules is an enormous home field advantage.

I say let's go with one set of rules or the other for both leagues. (I prefer the NL rules, but that's another story).  At least both teams will be playing by the rules they've played with all year when they're deciding the WS championship. 

Could this Home Field thing possibly have been botched any worse?  Thanks, Bud.  :-(

Sections
Shortcuts