#1 Threat to a 2011 WSC for the Red Sox: Philadelphia.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: #1 Threat to a 2011 WSC for the Red Sox: Philadelphia.

In Response to Re: #1 Threat to a 2011 WSC for the Red Sox: Philadelphia.:
    [QUOTE]I'm not convinced the Red Sox can get past the other American League teams, including the Detroit Tigers, who today added outfielder Delmon Young: http://www.freep.com/article/20110815/SPORTS02/110815053/Tigers-acquire-Delmon-Young-trade-Twins
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

I agree that no AL opponent will be easy.  But I don't think Delmon Young shifts the balance of power much.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: #1 Threat to a 2011 WSC for the Red Sox: Philadelphia. : I agree that no AL opponent will be easy.  But I don't think Delmon Young shifts the balance of power much.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]
    Maybe not, but Delmon Young is two years younger than Jacoby Ellsbury and drove in 112 runs last season. Young could be a significant upgrade over the slumping Magglio Ordonez.

Young rode the Twins bus to the stadium for Monday's game in Detroit and then homered in the first inning off former teammate Francisco Liriano.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Thanks guys, I am off to the Sea for 3 days and leaving the laptop behind. 

Go Boston!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: #1 Threat to a 2011 WSC for the Red Sox: Philadelphia. : The Phils on paper should win it all but anything can happen down the stretch to change a teams make up.  Our sketchy pitching is showing up much more since our offensive numbers have leveled out so with Clay out there is a lot of pressure on Bedard.  If Lackey or Wake need to pitch for us in the PS, our best prayer may be to out score the opposing teams.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

I thought that before the season started the Phillies already had the best starting rotation in baseball.  If the Red Sox pitchers were the same that we started the season with, Lester, Beckett, Buchholz, Lackey and Dice-K, we might have had a chance.  With the loss of Dice-K and  Buchholz and Lackey not really being that reliable this year, I don't really like our chances in the playoffs, but will remain optimistic. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: #1 Threat to a 2011 WSC for the Red Sox: Philadelphia. : Maybe not, but Delmon Young is two years younger than Jacoby Ellsbury and drove in 112 runs last season. Young could be a significant upgrade over the slumping Magglio Ordonez.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Yes, he did have a strong season last year.  Minnesota giving up on him a little early perhaps?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

"I searched back in my memory about seven years and think about who won the WS that year, and ask myself, was that the best team in baseball that year?  Well, probably not, but they were the team that got hot at exactly the right time and that's all it takes. 

I know it's cliche, but regular season records don't matter once the post-season starts.  One bad outing by a pitcher, a couple of bad bounces, an error, and suddenly a very good team is eliminated."

Well said S5.  The Phillies look like the team to beat on paper, but it's really more about which team is playing the best ball at the time, not which team is necessarily the best constructed.   Anything can happen in the post season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: #1 Threat to a 2011 WSC for the Red Sox: Philadelphia. : That points out exactly what's wrong with giving home field advantage to the winner of the AS Game.  That, combined with the two sets of rules that the two leagues play by, means that EVERY World Series game one team or the other is going to be playing by a set of rules that they didn't use all year.   Making the visitors play by a "new" set of rules is an enormous home field advantage. I say let's go with one set of rules or the other for both leagues. (I prefer the NL rules, but that's another story).  At least both teams will be playing by the rules they've played with all year when they're deciding the WS championship.  Could this Home Field thing possibly have been botched any worse?  Thanks, Bud.  :-(
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]

End of the day the AL teams in the WS are the ones with the greatest disadvantage in NL parks. NL teams construct thier lineup 1-6 with players that play both ways and regardless of the venue they don't have to juggle thier lineup and simply insert a bench guy to replace the pitcher in AL parks...In the AL many teams construct thier lineups with the DH in the middle of the order. The challenge the Sox face is that with Gonzalez at 1st, they can't slot Ortiz in at first, unless they move Gonzalez to the RF?

As they say that'll be a nice problem to have...meaning we're in the WS.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not convinced the Red Sox can get past the other American League teams, including the Detroit Tigers, who today added outfielder Delmon Young: http://www.freep.com/article/20110815/SPORTS02/110815053/Tigers-acquire-Delmon-Young-trade-Twins
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

If the post season started today, I'd say we match up pretty well with any team in the AL or NL and if we bring our A game, I like our chances. It all comes down to who's playing thier best baseball...The team's that win it all typically get solid pitching form their #3 or #4 with thier #1 and #2 both coming up big, with the bullpens playing a key role to hold leads late with a strong showing from the back end (set-up and closer) along with timely hitting, a little luck and making the routine plays look routine. In that contexted I think the Sox have convinced me that they're a legit WS contender...are they the favorites, in the AL I think they're still the best team on paper...the Phil's are the favorites in the NL...last I checked so too were the Tigers in 2006 and the Rangers last year. in the end that why we play the games...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

In Response; to #1 Threat to a 2011 WSC for the Red Sox: Philadelphia.:
    [QUOTE]Pitching 1- 3, no issue over there in Philly. How about a well rested and determined Roy Oswalt as your #4?  Boston has no chance to match this. While Tito refuses to build starting pitchers strength and endurance by yanking every starter after 5 or 6 the boys in Philly are going all the way, and driving in runs just for kicks.   The Phillies starting staff is led by Roy Haliday, Cliff Lee, and Cole Hamels. Vance Worley has been a big plus and pleasent surprise and with Oswalts return he fits perfectly into the 5 spot.  The starters boast an era of 3.09, 14 complete games, and oppenents have a measly .296 obp off them.  The relief corps has just been bolstered by Brad Lidge, and overall they have helped combine with the starters for a major league leading 15 shutouts. I ask you, who needs the best offense if your just going to shut out the oponent?   Our forum members bicker over who is the #3 (both Lackey and Wakefield have era's over 4.85).... we tear at one another over how much catchers influence a game, or wether wins and losses matter to the individual starter among other things. Our starters have a total 2 complete games, a team era of 3.93 and surrendered a generous 110 homers (the Phillies have given up 81). Go ahead and check out walks issued and again Philly squashes the Sox. Our pen is in decent shape but I wonder how they will fare in October.  Can you honestly see Beckett or even Lester going 8+ against Holliday or Lee? Vance Worley is their #5 for heavens sake, he would be our #3 here even if he had both arms broken. Heres a more important question: How important is your #3 if your 1 and 2 starters get beat by Haliday/Lee? Can Lackey or Wakefield save the day at that point? Boston cannot possibly beat the Phillies at this momnt in a best for 7.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

[QUOTE]Pitching 1- 3, no issue over there in Philly. How about a well rested and determined Roy Oswalt as your #4?  Boston has no chance to match this. While Tito refuses to build starting pitchers strength and endurance by yanking every starter after 5 or 6 the boys in Philly are going all the way, and driving in runs just for kicks.   The Phillies starting staff is led by Roy Haliday, Cliff Lee, and Cole Hamels. Vance Worley has been a big plus and pleasent surprise and with Oswalts return he fits perfectly into the 5 spot.  The starters boast an era of 3.09, 14 complete games, and oppenents have a measly .296 obp off them.  The relief corps has just been bolstered by Brad Lidge, and overall they have helped combine with the starters for a major league leading 15 shutouts. I ask you, who needs the best offense if your just going to shut out the oponent?   Our forum members bicker over who is the #3 (both Lackey and Wakefield have era's over 4.85).... we tear at one another over how much catchers influence a game, or wether wins and losses matter to the individual starter among other things. Our starters have a total 2 complete games, a team era of 3.93 and surrendered a generous 110 homers (the Phillies have given up 81). Go ahead and check out walks issued and again Philly squashes the Sox. Our pen is in decent shape but I wonder how they will fare in October.  Can you honestly see Beckett or even Lester going 8+ against Holliday or Lee? Vance Worley is their #5 for heavens sake, he would be our #3 here even if he had both arms broken. Heres a more important question: How important is your #3 if your 1 and 2 starters get beat by Haliday/Lee? Can Lackey or Wakefield save the day at that point? Boston cannot possibly beat the Phillies at this momnt in a best for 7.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts