10 Craziest Players in Red Sox History

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

Re: 10 Craziest Players in Red Sox History

m

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brickbat. Show Brickbat's posts

This wins "most ridiculous list of the year", edging out the one about "overrated" players on the same site.

All the ones mentioned: Piersall, Everett, Oil Can - yes, of course they should be there. But if you're basically only going to include recent players, how about Adrian "Don't Touch My Head" Beltre?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

How about Steve Lyons - anybody with the nickname 'Psycho' deserves to be on the list.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Red Sox history started in 1975?

I agree with Mr. Soxnut, Pink Hat Illustrated all the way.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dangerfeld. Show Dangerfeld's posts

It still ranks as one of the most bizarre episodes in Red Sox history, on par with the great stunts of Oil Can Boyd and Wade Boggs. Conley had been the losing pitcher in a 13-3 rout in Yankee Stadium and spent the late innings in the clubhouse drinking beer. When the Red Sox team bus stalled in traffic after the game, Conley asked manager Mike Higgins if he and Pumpsie Green could get off the bus to use a public restroom.

"So we got off and went in this bar, and when we came back out, Pumpsie said, `Hey, that bus is gone,' and I said, `We are, too!' "

Pumpsie came back after a day, but Conley got a room at the Waldorf, watched the TV news, and learned that people were searching for him. They should have tried Toots Shor's, a Manhattan saloon favored by DiMaggio, Sinatra, and the rest.

When Conley came back to Boston, after he was turned away at Idlewild Airport, Tom Yawkey called him into his office and fined him. Yawkey also offered Conley a drink, but the tall pitcher said, "No way, Mr. Yawkey. I wouldn't touch that stuff."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

That is a bs list. Not to include Piersall, Carl Everett, Oil Can Boyd, Steve Lyons and Bernie Carbo is an absolute travesty.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: 10 Craziest Players in Red Sox History:
    [QUOTE]It still ranks as one of the most bizarre episodes in Red Sox history, on par with the great stunts of Oil Can Boyd and Wade Boggs. Conley had been the losing pitcher in a 13-3 rout in Yankee Stadium and spent the late innings in the clubhouse drinking beer. When the Red Sox team bus stalled in traffic after the game, Conley asked manager Mike Higgins if he and Pumpsie Green could get off the bus to use a public restroom. "So we got off and went in this bar, and when we came back out, Pumpsie said, `Hey, that bus is gone,' and I said, `We are, too!' " Pumpsie came back after a day, but Conley got a room at the Waldorf, watched the TV news, and learned that people were searching for him. They should have tried Toots Shor's, a Manhattan saloon favored by DiMaggio, Sinatra, and the rest. When Conley came back to Boston, after he was turned away at Idlewild Airport, Tom Yawkey called him into his office and fined him. Yawkey also offered Conley a drink, but the tall pitcher said, "No way, Mr. Yawkey. I wouldn't touch that stuff."
    Posted by Dangerfeld[/QUOTE]

Conley was also an NBA player, along with a few others.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: 10 Craziest Players in Red Sox History:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 10 Craziest Players in Red Sox History : Actually, Piersall was cured (an unusual occurrence); it was discovered he was wilting from his father's pressure. The movie based on him (Fear Strikes Out) angered him due to the inaccuracies that filmmakers often take liberties with. Note:  He was a comic himself; I went to a game when he was on the Angels and did some funny antics from the dugout; he also ran the bases backwards on his 100th HR while with the Mets when he bet Snider the fans would notice his milestone over Snider's 400th HR. I also remember him on the Lucy show, saying after she did her shtick   to him "And they say I'm crazy",   as well as the Johnny Carson show, with comedy laden material.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]
    Hey seven, I didnt't know that. Thanks, that's interesting ... had no idea he was on Lucy, either.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m