10% of the season is over, when do we panic?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

10% of the season is over, when do we panic?

I mean that seriously. All the experts are saying its too early, so whens it too late to come back. We have lost more than twice as many games as we've won. At what point is it that we realistically cant turn it around. If we arent .500 by 30/40 games in i think we're screwed. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Re: 10% of the season is over, when do we panic?

NESN:

The Red Sox may have started slow, but that doesn't mean they're dead in the AL East standings -- not by a long shot.

The Boston Globe's Dan Shaughnessy was on Tuesday's Red Sox Gameday Live, and he talked about the parity that is gripping arguably baseball's best division. He pointed out that with the talent level of each team, it's become less and less likely that a team in the division will win upwards of 95 games.

He also said that the strength of the division, paired with the fact that no team is off to a red-hot start, benefits the Red Sox as they could be looking at a much larger hole than the 4 1/2-game deficit they faced entering Tuesday's game in Oakland.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

JAMESEY, OF COURSE YOU'RE RIGHT. THE PEOPLE WHO SAID THAT
    WE WERE A "LOCK " FOR THE WS OR PLAYOFFS, WERE JUST BLOWING
    MEDIA SMOKE. THE TRUTH IS THAT THE YANKEES ARE CONSTRUCTED
    MUCH BETTER FOR A CHAMPIONSHIP THAN WE ARE, OFFENSIVELY,
    AND THEY CAN GO OUT AND BUY PITCHING, BECAUSE THEIR OFFENSE
    CAN COVER IT UP IN A DIVISION THAT ALSO HAS THE BIRDS, RAYS,
    AND JAYS. I AM FAR FROM BEING A YANKEE TROLL, BUT LIVING IN
    NY STATE, THEY ARE ON ALL THE CABLE OUTLETS. YOU HAVE TO
    WATCH CANO, TEX, A ROD, SWISHER, GRANDERSON, POSADA, AND
    JETER TAKE APART OPPOSING HURLERS. LIKE IT OR NOT, THEIR
    GM CONSTRUCTED A TEAM FOR THEIR PARK. THEY DRAFT AND TRADE
    WELL, AND DISCARD USELESS PARTS QUICKLY...ON THE OTHER
    HAND, WE HANG ON TO MEDIOCRE PLAYERS WAY PAST THEIR
    USEFUL STAGE...FOR VARIOUS REASONS... WITNESS...DREW,,TEK,
    WAKE, SCUTARO, AND CAMERON. SALTY CAN'T HIT A LICK, AND
    IF YOU DEPEND ON 4 GUYS...PEDEY, CARL, A GON, AND YOUK FOR
    DEEP COME FROM BEHIND POWER, YOU WILL LOSE THE GAME
    9 TIMES OUT OF 10 !! ADD IT ALL UP, AND IT COMES TO THIRD
    PLACE. THEO AND TERRY SHOULD BE CANNED. WE NEED A TOUGH
    SYNDICATE TO OWN THIS TEAM THAT IS SERIOUSLY DEDICATED
    TO WINNING AND NOT CODDLING FADED VETERANS.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

10% over, 90% to go.  

I remember not knowing the first two questions when I took the GRE.  
    But I ended up scoring a 760.  So please, be patient.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

When the season's 100% over.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: 10% of the season is over, when do we panic?:
    NESN: The Red Sox may have started slow, but that doesn't mean they're dead in the AL East standings -- not by a long shot. The Boston Globe's Dan Shaughnessy was on Tuesday's Red Sox Gameday Live , and he talked about the parity that is gripping arguably baseball's best division. He pointed out that with the talent level of each team, it's become less and less likely that a team in the division will win upwards of 95 games. He also said that the strength of the division, paired with the fact that no team is off to a red-hot start, benefits the Red Sox as they could be looking at a much larger hole than the 4 1/2-game deficit they faced entering Tuesday's game in Oakland.
    Posted by -EdithBunker-

That "arguably baseball's best division" has by far the league's worst cumulative record despite playing 46 home games and only 35 road games so far this season. The numbers my dispel the myth in the end.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

When the season's 100% over.
    Posted by mrmojo1120

Eh, so you think its going to go to the last game of the season? i think you missed the point of the question, we may not have anything to play for by then. In fact if things dont dramatically improve, we'll have nothing to play for in July!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: 10% of the season is over, when do we panic? : That "arguably baseball's best division" has by far the league's worst cumulative record despite playing 46 home games and only 35 road games so far this season. The numbers my dispel the myth in the end.
    Posted by hill55

Nah man.  Best division in no way should imply gaudiest records.  If there are 5 really good teams in a division, they are going to eat eachother alive.  Thus far, this has been the case in the Beast.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to 10% of the season is over, when do we panic?:
    I mean that seriously. All the experts are saying its too early, so whens it too late to come back. We have lost more than twice as many games as we've won. At what point is it that we realistically cant turn it around. If we arent .500 by 30/40 games in i think we're screwed. 
    Posted by jamesey271975

I thought you started already.  There really is no 'we' in this question.  You can panic whenever you see fit.  Most people on this board have already started.  For me, personally, I will panic after a somewhat elusive, foggy ratio of games-behind-division-leader to games-left-to-play has been reached.  But 'we' are far, far from that point.  4.5 games back with 90% of games left to be played is not even on my panic radar.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to 10% of the season is over, when do we panic?:
    Posted by jamesey271975

10+ games back at the trade deadline seems about right, although I wouldn't advocate panic as that could lead to poor decisions at the deadline.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from icka31. Show icka31's posts

10% over, 90% to go.   I remember not knowing the first two questions when I took the GRE.   But I ended up scoring a 760.  So please, be patient.  
    Posted by Ice-Cream

Humblebrag.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: 10% of the season is over, when do we panic? :  Nah man.  Best division in no way should imply gaudiest records.  If there are 5 really good teams in a division, they are going to eat each other alive.  Thus far, this has been the case in the Beast.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

A division's teams will always have a .500 cumulative record in intradivisional play ... for every loss there is a win, and for every win there is a loss.

The AL East teams are getting beaten up to date by AL teams outside the division in this season's small sample. AL East teams are 15-15 (.500) against their AL East rivals and 22-29 (.431) against other AL teams. However, the Red Sox are 0-7 outside the division, so the other AL East teams are 22-22 (.500) against nondivisional foes.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Some RS fans do that during Spring Training. I guess you might be one...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: 10% of the season is over, when do we panic? : A division's teams will always have a .500 cumulative record in intra divisional play ... for every loss there is a win, and for every win there is a loss.
    Posted by hill55

Right, but in years past the wins were more concentrated among the top teams.  The division is more balanced this year, which can take a team (Sox and/or Yanks) from 98 wins to 95 wins.

Sections
Shortcuts