10 Simple Moves Required to Make Play-Offs.

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: 10 Simple Moves Required to Make Play-Offs.

I agree for sure on the lefty/righty thang.  Oh and I like to hate thy enemy but that won't happen; they all love each other, the players.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i would bat gonzo 4  papi 5  ...but excellent suggestions

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Number 10 would be nice. Yankees and Sox are all best pals now.... I miss Pedro.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1. Beckett doesn't pitch in a major league game again until next April.
    He has stunk so consistently and so brutally all year.  No more chances.  Demagnetize his parking pass at Fenway if you have to.  

If you are going to bench Josh for being inconsistent, then bench all our starting 5:
    Quality start %
    Beckett    53%
    Doubront 52%
    (League Avg 50%)
    Lester      48%
    Buch        47%
    Bard        30%

Cook     56% in 9 GS'd
    Morales 50% in 6 GS'd
    Dice-K   20% in 5 GS'd

2. Pull Jon Leaster once he has given up 3 runs, no matter what the inning.  Put him on a very short leash.  He has improved a bit.

He has looked better, but is clearly not the Lester of 2008 to near the end of 2011. If we replace Beckett with Morales, I guess Mortensen becomes the longman or 7th starter.

We have heard people complian about this team all year.  But if Beckett and Lester would have been replaced by two .500 pitchers, the Sox wouldn't have the problmes they have had.   The offense scores enough runs.  The only reason the bullpen has had any problmes is that they're over-worked because of Beckett and Lester.  

Our bullpen has not had problems, except for blown saves. Aceves has not been "over-worked" with too many save situations. Our real closer has been on the DL all year. Our 2011 star closer bolted. Our best set-up man, Bard, was made a starter. Our best long man, Aceves, was turned into our closer. Bullpen numbers:
              inn  WHIP  ERA  OPS against
    2012 345  1.212  3.39  .679   (4th best WHIP in the AL)
    2011 517  1.200  3.67  .662

3. Make Morales a starter.

Agree, but for Cook (1-2 7.47 his last 3 starts) not Beckett.

4. Let Valentine select his own coaching staff.  Clean house if you have to, just let him select who he wants.  A coaching staff that is not united will fail and the team won't respect them.  

I don't see our coaches losing games, especially at 3B.

5. Drop Salty in the batting order.  Give him less chances to strike out in a game.

Once Papi returns, and with CC up 2nd, your wish will come true.

6. Play Shoppach more.  Salty is tired.  Maybe he's been busy getting tattos or something, but he is tired.  

Once Papi returns, Shoppach will be dealt on a waiver deal and Lava will start vs LHPs and maybe a few righties.

7. New consistent Batting Order once Ortiz returns:

Ellsbury; Crawford; Pedroia; Ortiz; Gonzo; Middlebrooks; Ross; Catcher of the day; Aviles/Pedro.  

Not bad.

Keep Crawford at # 2.  He performs there.  Alternating Lefty-Righty is overrated.  Valentine has had som many batting orders and the team is out of sync because of it.  It really doesnt matter who bats 3 or 4, technically.  After the first inning, anyone could be the clean-up hitter.  So use this order and establish a flow.  

Let's hope CC's freakish success vs LHPs in the tiny 2012 sample size continues.

8. If Ryan Sweeney's right hand heals, get him to punch another concrete wall with it.  Having a 6'4" 200lb outfielder who can't hit a home run is a waste of oxygen on the bench that could be going to other players.  

He's our best defensive OF'er and would be a nice 4/5 OF'er next year, and he gets on base vs RHPs pretty well.

9. Don't bring Wake back.  Then we'd only have another starter that puts us in a 4-0 hole after 1 inning.  

Are you softy in disguise?

10.  Hate the enemy.  I have seen enough flirting between Sox players with members of other teams.  Ortiz and Cano are all but lovers and so are Pedroia and Jeter.  Create some bad blood.  Hit a few more batters.  Gonzo is too nice.  He needs to get fired up.   And on the topic of Gonzo, where has the power gone.  It is great to have those hits and those doubles and RBIs, but where oh where are the HRs?  

He gifted them to his friends on other teams.

11.  Bonus suggestion that is too late to follow: a deal should have been made long before the deadline to show we were serious.  Ditch Beckett or Lester.  They suck (see problems 1 and 2).  Ship them out in a package deal for someone like Reddick or Lowrie.  WHy can't we get guys like them?

Not gonna happen.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Making whole alot of pitching moves isnt going to work.  Look at Angels (Grienke), Rangers (Oswalt/Dempster), Tigers (Sanchez), etc all have not been an upgraded team since the trade deadline.

I just think that Boston just lack an ACE pitcher of the staff.  

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

You omitted releasing Punto so that Bobby V doesn't have the option of ever playing him again. No team should have an aging veteran on the roster that's batting near or under .200.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

I can't believe this is a thread about the Sox possibly making the playoffs. It's time to put down the pom poms,get a grip and deal with reality. It has been a lost season right from the beginning. The reality is that it is time to start thinking about next season.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

The hate the enemy thing is not happening. Players move too much from team to team. Tey also work t together in the off season like in AZ at the Performance Center.

There are very few times when players dislike each other like Padilla andARod.

Afor the coaches I do believe Gary Tuck is considered one of the best B coaches in MLB and I don't think the RS anted him going to either ChiSx or BJ's as well as Magaan and Bogar.
    I can see Bogar as the guy to replace BV if fired or quits.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from amisoxornot. Show amisoxornot's posts

team sucks.  Pedroia and Ellsbury are a big part of the problem and NOBODY is talking about them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wvwc61. Show wvwc61's posts

In Response to Re: 10 Simple Moves Required to Make Play-Offs.:
    Making whole alot of pitching moves isnt going to work.  Look at Angels (Grienke), Rangers (Oswalt/Dempster), Tigers (Sanchez), etc all have not been an upgraded team since the trade deadline. I just think that Boston just lack an ACE pitcher of the staff.  
    Posted by GoUconn13

They lack another ACE. Buchholtz has been pitching like an ACE, lately.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

7. New consistent Batting Order once Ortiz returns: Ellsbury; Crawford; Pedroia; Ortiz; Gonzo; Middlebrooks; Ross; Catcher of the day; Aviles/Pedro. Your consistent batting order has the following leadoff hitter numbers: OBP   .304 Most importantly: Failed to reach base in either of the last two games
    Posted by TrotterNixon

1) "most importantly" is a 2 game sample size? What a clown!
    2) You want a career .333 OBP leading off instead (CC). Still clownish.
    3) CC's OBP this year is .314. 
    4) Ellsbury's is .307 not .304, but don't let facts get in your way.

Silly clown. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Starting Pitchers in 2012:

Listed in order by most IP
                ERA   WHIP
    Lester  5.36  1.397
    Buch    4.48  1.353
    Doub   4.56   1.445
    Beck    4.97   1.302
    Bard    5.30   1.620
    Cook    4.70   1.219
    Moral   3.06   1.113
    Dice-k  6.65  1.348

No regular starter with an ERA under 4.48.
    No regular starter with a WHIP under 1.300.

Folks, this isn't our biggest weakness ?

Please.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I can't believe this is a thread about the Sox possibly making the playoffs. It's time to put down the pom poms,get a grip and deal with reality. It has been a lost season right from the beginning. The reality is that it is time to start thinking about next season.
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan

I wonder if the Rays felt that way at the beginning of September last year.

Sections
Shortcuts