10 things to look forward to in Spring training

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

10 things to look forward to in Spring training

Good article from Gordon Edes:

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/10428574/10-things-look-forward-boston-red-sox-spring-training

1. Grady Sizemore's comeback attempt

So, it's not unprecedented. Roy Hobbs was 19 years old when he was shot by that loon Harriet Bird, but returned 15 years later with Wonderboy intact. That was fiction. A real-life example? Reds pitcher Jose Rijo, a bona-fide ace in the late 1980s and early '90s for the Reds, had five operations on his right elbow that sidelined him for five seasons and came back at age 36. It didn't last long -- he went down for good a year later -- but he made it back. Josh Hamilton, the No. 1 overall pick in 1999 (one pick ahead of Josh Beckett), was out of organized ball for three years because of his crack addiction before the Tampa Bay Rays gave him another chance in 2006. A year later, he was in the big leagues.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Re: 10 things to look forward to in Spring training

great article from a great baseball sports writer. Always liked reading Gordon Edes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

# 2 /    With a little luck, the return of  SOFTY  !!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

He even suggests that Bogaerts emerges as the lead off hitter in his rookie season (like Nomar did in 97) 

He might not be the prototypical leadoff man, but if his OBP skills, hit tool, and ability to make pitchers work quickly translates to the MLb level he might be one of our best options.

Very exciting to see what this team can do this year.  I'm hoping for a clean bill of health as well. I want to see what Sizemore can do, and hopefully Bucch can stay healthy all year. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I want to see...

1) What kind of shape Doubie is in.

2) How AJ P works with the staff.

3) If Middy looks more like the start of 2012 than afterwards.

4) Pedey at 100% health.

5) Buch at 100%.

6) Uehara able to go the whole year as our closer.

7) Bogey win ROY.

8) Nava-Gomes platoon all year and stay exclusively in LF.

9) JBJ rasie eyebrows with his defense and decent offense.

10) Victorino stay healthy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

How the vet pitchers, Lackey and peavy, will do

Will Will make his mark this year and solidify the 3b position

Lester the Ace?

and of course what young arms will step up this year.

Xander for ROTY?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Can Clay have decent health thru ST.

Can JBJ grab the CF job and make it his permanently.

Excited to see what Bogaerts will do in his 1st full season in the bigs.

See how both Lester and Lackey look.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Good read...

here's what I look forward to with the opening of camp...

1. Hearing the announcers say the words "the World Champion Boston Red Sox" when they introduce the teams and lineups before each game. Never gets old...

2. The sound of the ball hitting the bat...

3. Watching our top prospects compete with the big boys. "The first eye test".

4. Hearing the veteran pitchers explaining to the press that they're not worried about results of a game....Every time one of them gets waxed early in the spring. 

5. The first televised game that I can watch on the west coast...

6. Following the day to day struggles and successes of players that are projected to be part of the 25 man roster, but are are not locks "Bogaert's & Bradley".

7. Getting answers to the questions about players with potential showing progress and taking the next step in their development.."Doubront, Nava & Middlebrooks". 

8. Getting answers to question about the health and return to form of players returning from injury..Miller & Buccholz....I'll include Sizemore in this group....

9. The first cuts....means opening day is getting closer.....

10. The final start of the spring for the projected starting rotation...signals the beginning of the games that count...

Baseball fever....Catch it!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from javaukti1. Show javaukti1's posts

In this corner, Jackie Bradley Junior, just call him JBJ. The likeable hot shot kid from Virginia. Is he the next Babe, or just a babe. Will he be an All Star, or fizzle like a shooting star. Did we have a glimpse of greatness, or have we already seen his best.  Is he the sky-is-the-limit star, or as he hit his ceiling.

And in this corner, Heeeee’s baaack.  Grady Sizemore, the veteran all-star (all right, he’s just 31) hobbled by injuries that would fell a lesser man, with a shot at The Big Show. He claims Ellsbury’s departure didn’t influence his decision, but he is (cue the reverb) The Man With Something To Prove. Let me show you what a real GG centerfielder looks like, kid. With knees that once made Joe Namath look like he could Gold the 400 meter hurdles, he’s back at fighting weight and good-to-go.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I dont think JBJ is the next "babe"  he is considered a low ceiling, high floor prospect.  In other words he probably won't be the next jacoby ellsbury, but he has a much much better chance than other top prospects of being at least an above average MLB player.

If he is healthy, for all we know he could add more value than Ellsbury did.  Obvisouly I don't think he will have a year like Ellsbury did in 2011 but I think he could be more valuable if you consider the time Ellbury spent on the D.L.

I think he can be that player this year.  a .280 avg .350+ OBP guy with GG offense.  Maybe even hit 12-15 HR's

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from javaukti1. Show javaukti1's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I dont think JBJ is the next "babe"  he is considered a low ceiling, high floor prospect.  In other words he probably won't be the next jacoby ellsbury, but he has a much much better chance than other top prospects of being at least an above average MLB player.

If he is healthy, for all we know he could add more value than Ellsbury did.  Obvisouly I don't think he will have a year like Ellsbury did in 2011 but I think he could be more valuable if you consider the time Ellbury spent on the D.L.

I think he can be that player this year.  a .280 avg .350+ OBP guy with GG offense.  Maybe even hit 12-15 HR's

But he looks about 18. He's a real prospect, though, no doubt. I just think the story line with Sizemore there is one to follow. There's a lot of ways to look at it. Was it 2007 when newbie Ellsbury and veteran Crisp were competing for the CF spot? Is Sizemore there primarily to bring JBJ down to earth: he has to earn Fenway centerfield? Will Sizemore have anything if JBJ falters in ST.

Personally I don't think Bradley is ready to be the Red Sox starting centerfielder, but for all of Ben's emphasis on depth, there's not much in CF or RF.  But if he does start in center, he's got 2 gold-glove centerfielders in Sizemore and Victorino to help out.

Sections
Shortcuts