11 games to being the top of the history books.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

11 games to being the top of the history books.

As unlikely as it is, go Wake go! Another solid performance for a hometown hero! Who knows, if Dice is out the whole year, maybe Wake can come out of nowhere and gets the wins he needs! Back him up boys, keep the bats alive while Timothy Stephen Wakefield pitches!

Does anyone else feel a little magic?
    Rob take it away!
    http://rowantiangco.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/you-can-do-it1.jpg

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: 11 games to being the top of the history books.

I've been wanting Wake to pass Clemens ever since Clemens went to the Yankees.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

yeah it's going to be close, Wake may go back to the pen when Lackey returns.

It's tough to say because both Aceves and Wakefield are pitching well now.  In some sense it makes more sense to keep wake in the rotation if he can pitch effectively.  I don't expect him to pitch as well as he has, but if he can pitch consistently he has much more value in the rotation where Aceves seems to be effective in both roles.

Aceves however has proven he can pitch. For whatever reason the Yankees gave up on him he has never really seemed to put together a bad season and he is young. It's hard to pull someone from the rotation like that.  Both could have possible durability problems as Aceves has never started for a prolonged period of time and wakefield is 44 and hasn't had a lot of work this year. 

Still both are pitching well and it's a good problem to have. Normally when the Sox have lost some starters depth has been a problem but so far this year (considering the performances of Lackey and Dice-k) the Depth of pitching that has filled in has been a huge asset.

this is however, considering how well wake is pitching, a good problem to have. And being a knuckleballer and considering how much less stress it puts on the arm wakefield may be able to pitch for a bit longer than the typical 44 year old...which being 44 and pitching is not typical, oh boy I'm rambling.....I do hope he gets those 11 though. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

According to USA Today, Wake is making a cool $2MM.  That's less than Dan Wheeler and Bobby Jenks and more than Daniel Bard and Clay Buchholz.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

baseball-reference.com says Wake has a $1.5 million base salary with incentives. 

At the bottom. 

-Daf. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikzor. Show mikzor's posts

I would prefer Wake in the rotation over Aceves just cause Softlaws latest incarnation will get angry about it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Wake's ERA is under 4 (3.96) as a starter, and has a 5.31 ERA as a reliever.

However his ERA as a reliever is offset by a single implosion (much like how you can't judge Albers by his 3.93 ERA), in a loss VS. Tampa Bay in which Daisuke had his infamous super implosion game, Wakefield was put on extreme mop-up duty, pitching 3.1 innings to just plain get us out of that game without our bullpen being wrecked. In that game Wakefield gave up 4 runs.

Without that game Wake's ERA is 3.04. I'm aware you cannot do that when talking about season totals, an ERA is an ERA. However, when judging consistency, you do not want skewed stats. With a 5.31 ERA, it looks unreasonable to put Wake in a 2 or 3 run game as a reliever, however it is not. Wakefield is still what he always was, whether he's starting or relieving, use him Francona!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: 11 games to being the top of the history books.:
    [QUOTE]yeah it's going to be close, Wake may go back to the pen when Lackey returns. It's tough to say because both Aceves and Wakefield are pitching well now.  In some sense it makes more sense to keep wake in the rotation if he can pitch effectively...
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

i really hope they keep wake and aceves in the rotation if they continue to pitch well. i want the team to send lackey a message that he needs to earn back his spot. i'd be be willing to give wake and aceves a longer leash - keep them there if they can perform well on 2 of every 3 outings.

sorry guys, the lack of movement on lackey's pitches scare me more than wake occasionally rolling over his knucklers. and so far, aceves' stuff look harder to hit than lackey's - not just this reg season but going to last reg season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I'd like to see Wake break the record in 2012. With limited pitching depth in AAA, and the fragile Dice, re-signing Wake is a given.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

In Response to Re: 11 games to being the top of the history books.:
    [QUOTE]I'd like to see Wake break the record in 2012. With limited pitching depth in AAA, and the fragile Dice, re-signing Wake is a given.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

I don't know. Softy may see that as a sign of end of days.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I hope it's the end of his posting days. Unfortunately, extending Wake means extending the Softone's idiocy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I don't think he'll get there but if he stays in the rotation, maybe, just maybe, he has one more run in him. Assuming DiceK is out, and Wake pitches well enough to stay in the rotation and can stay healthy, he'll have maybe 22 starts. With the run support he could get, who knows, it's not inconceivable that he goes 11-8 in those starts -- maybe even better.

Again, it's a long shot -- a very long shot.

But it would be funny if he ended up with 13 to 15 wins. Softy indeed would have a meltdown.

I'd love nothing better to see him go on a 1995-like run or even a pre-All Star 2009-like run.