11 out of 15 AL Teams...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

11 out of 15 AL Teams...

... are within 5 in the loss column from the best record Red Sox!

Red Sox 31 losses

Baltimore 31

Detroit 31

Oakland 32

Texas 32

NY Yanks 33

Tampa Bay 35

Toronto 35

Cleveland 35

Kansas City 36

Minnesota 36

Right now, our biggest weaknesses seem to be:

1) Closer

2) Staring pitcher

3) Big RH'd bat for the middle of the line-up (3B/OF?)

Standing pat does not make sense to me in light of all these contenders knocking on our door, some of which will certainly make some moves to try and improve.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: 11 out of 15 AL Teams...

If the Angels lose tonight, there are only 4 AL teams "out of it": LAA (9 down from the WC), Sea (9 down), Hou and CWS.

In the NL, only 4 teams are 10+ GB (NYM, Cubs, Milw, and Mia), but we can probably count out LAD (8 down) and Philly (7.5 down).

That means only 10 teams are pretty much out of it. Much can change before now and the deadline, but there might not be many "sellers" this year.

Sox4ever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Moon - Responses to your biggest needs:

1. Andrew Bailey needs to be removed immediately. Farrell can't sugar coat it anymore. He's given up 6 HR in 22 1/3 innings. That's an average of 2.5 per 9 innings. 

2. Jon Lester is the sole reason why the Sox need a starter. When your #1/2 is performing like a number 5, it makes the entire rotation bad.

3. Demote Will Middlebrooks. He was slotted to be the 6th hitter in the lineup. Not only is he hitting .192, but he's batting 8th.

What should be done:

1. If Lester doesn't figure it out over his next two starts, DL him and hopefully he can figure it out.

2. Bailey should be demoted and made the mop up guy. Closer should be either Miller or Wilson.

3. Middlebrooks needs to go to Pawtucket and the Red Sox can bring up Drew Sutton. I don't know what Middlebrooks' WAR is but I'm sure its a big negative number and anyone would be better.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Moonslav,

You seem to think having those other teams within five in the loss column is dire.  I don't. This season right now is still a humoungous success.  If you think it's dire because you truly believe the Sox have a real shot at the playoffs, then I agree with you. 

I agree with the big righty bat problem, but I'm not sure how that is readily fixable without giving up a lot of minor league talent.  In 2011 the Sox did pretty well without that big righty bat--it was the collapse of the pitching in September that did them in.   So right now I lean toward sticking with this lineup. 

Closer, no question, a big problem.  Uehara has the temperament, but maybe not the stamina.  But again the Sox have not had much luck in bringing in a closer from elsewhere.  I favor promoting someone.

Starters, I think, are OK assuming Buchholz gets over this neck thing fairly quickly.  Lackety looks good.  Dempster is OK.  Lester, I continue to believe, can get out of his slump because he is healthy and throwing hard.  Doubront is decent.  Aceves might be the best spot starter in MLB right now. 

Of the three problems, I think the righty bat is the one the Sox might make a deal for provided they can get a rental. Someone else suggested Young, for example.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

definitely be on the lookout for a good reliever as the deadline nears!

maybe a SP depending on how our rotation performs between now and then.

also a 3 month rental 3Bman in case WMB doesn't get back on track.

this is who i'm looking at right now as possible targets:

RP: Rex Brothers (rockies. possible sellers) - 8.70 K/9, 1.2 WHIP, .194 Opp AVG, 0.30 ERA

Jesse Crain (White Sox. Definite sellers) - 11.94 K/9, 0.98 WHIP, .188 Opp AVG, 0.57 ERA

Ernesto Frieri (Angels. possible sellers) - 13.06 K/9, 1.16, WHIP, 1.62 Opp AVG, 2.61 ERA

SP: Yovanni Gallardo (brewers), Samarjiza (Cubs),  Jon Niese (Mets), Jason Vargas (Angels).

3Bman: Michael Young. [insert 3Bman here]

MASTER OF PUPPETS I'M PULLING YOUR STRINGS!!
    TWISTING YOUR MIND AND SMASHING YOUR DREAMS!!
    BLINDED BY ME YOU CAN'T SEE A THING!!
    JUST CALL MY NAME 'CUZ I'LL HEAR YOU SCREAM!!
    MASTER!! MASTER!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Having two wild cards certainly keeps more teams in contention. I think it is kind of premature to think that a team like the Phillies would be looking to give up and trade guys like Papelbon and Lee. We like to think that we have some great young prospects. Let's put them to the test, and find out if they can help where needed. I think that would be better than trading some of them for a veteran from an out of contention team. That is something that can backfire in a big way. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

... are within 5 in the loss column from the best record Red Sox!

Red Sox 31 losses

Baltimore 31

Detroit 31

Oakland 32

Texas 32

NY Yanks 33

Tampa Bay 35

Toronto 35

Cleveland 35

Kansas City 36

Minnesota 36

Right now, our biggest weaknesses seem to be:

1) Closer

2) Staring pitcher

3) Big RH'd bat for the middle of the line-up (3B/OF?)

Standing pat does not make sense to me in light of all these contenders knocking on our door, some of which will certainly make some moves to try and improve.

This is why I like the two extra wild card berths.  It gives other teams a chance to make the playoffs.

Do you guys remember (prior to the 1994 season), only the first place teams (AL East champs, AL West, NL East and NL West) made the playoffs?  

The 1993 SF Giants won 103 games but did not make the playoffs.  Under the current playoff format, they would have clinch a playoff berth in late August.   LOL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

1. Andrew Bailey needs to be removed immediately. Farrell can't sugar coat it anymore. He's given up 6 HR in 22 1/3 innings. That's an average of 2.5 per 9 innings. 

2. Jon Lester is the sole reason why the Sox need a starter. When your #1/2 is performing like a number 5, it makes the entire rotation bad.

3. Demote Will Middlebrooks. He was slotted to be the 6th hitter in the lineup. Not only is he hitting .192, but he's batting 8th.

What should be done:

1. If Lester doesn't figure it out over his next two starts, DL him and hopefully he can figure it out.

2. Bailey should be demoted and made the mop up guy. Closer should be either Miller or Wilson.

3. Middlebrooks needs to go to Pawtucket and the Red Sox can bring up Drew Sutton. I don't know what Middlebrooks' WAR is but I'm sure its a big negative number and anyone would be better.

I'm 100% open to doing something about the 3B position as big of a fan of WMB as I am.  You just have to do something at some point.  I've said on another thread that I have confidence in WMB as a baseball player and I still think he will be a star but it just might not be here if he doesn't pick it up REALLY soon.

But I'd leave him in there vs. Drew Sutton all year.  I would bet that if you leave WMB in the line up he's going to do much better than Sutton would.

Suttons offense is fringe MLB average to below average, and Middlebrooks is easily the better defensive player.  I'd rather keep Iglesias at short or consider Bogaerts if he can make some adjustments down in triple A.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Moonslav,

You seem to think having those other teams within five in the loss column is dire.  I don't. This season right now is still a humoungous success.  If you think it's dire because you truly believe the Sox have a real shot at the playoffs, then I agree with you. 

Of course I believe we have a real shot at the playoffs. I think we need to improve some areas to be a favorite to win it all, but if we stay healthy, we are good enough to compete as is (fixing the closer issue from within). However, that is not a good enough reason to stand pat. We can make some minor to midland moves to improve on what we got.

I agree with the big righty bat problem, but I'm not sure how that is readily fixable without giving up a lot of minor league talent.  In 2011 the Sox did pretty well without that big righty bat--it was the collapse of the pitching in September that did them in.   So right now I lean toward sticking with this lineup. 

The kind of right bat I have in mind would be very costly. I agree that it might not be the time to make that kind of move. Unlike softy, I do not like Soriano for that role, even if the Cubs pay half his deal.

Closer, no question, a big problem.  Uehara has the temperament, but maybe not the stamina.  But again the Sox have not had much luck in bringing in a closer from elsewhere.  I favor promoting someone.

I think Uehara and Tazawa can fill the role, but who fills theirs? Yes, Miller, Breslow, and others may do OK, but our pen will be weakened. Pens are easier to trade for, but as you pointed out, it's not been a high succes are for us in recent years. 

Starters, I think, are OK assuming Buchholz gets over this neck thing fairly quickly.  Lackety looks good.  Dempster is OK.  Lester, I continue to believe, can get out of his slump because he is healthy and throwing hard.  Doubront is decent.  Aceves might be the best spot starter in MLB right now. 

I have always believe you can never have too much starting pitching, but getting a quality and durable SP soon would also be very costly.

Of the three problems, I think the righty bat is the one the Sox might make a deal for provided they can get a rental. Someone else suggested Young, for example.

I'm not a big fan of Michael Young, but he's certainly better than MWB right now. Another name might be Aramis Ramirez from the Brewers, who are out of it right now. He is 35 and is owed $16M next year. He's dropped off a lot from 2012, but still hits lefties over .800 (.718 vs RHPs). Last year, he was 1.049 vs LHPs and .853 vs RHPs. He led the NL in 2Bs with 50 and still had 27 HRs and 105 RBIs. He makes $10M this year, so only about 3.4m will be owed after the deadline. There is a mutual option for 2015 with a $4M buyout, so essentially, he is owed about $23M for the rest of 2013 and all of 2014. That would mean one of 2 things:

1) We wouldn't have to give up much in terms of prospects to take on his salary.

2) The Brewers would pay part of his contract in return for better prospects.

Michael Young is 36 and has a .760 OPS right now (.682 last year). He is better vs LHPs this year (.858) than Ramirez. He's also better vs RHPs (.730 to .718), but he was much worse last year: .794 vs LHPs and .643 vs RHPs. He makes $16M this year and then is a FA. That would come to about $5.5M after the deadline.

Other big RH'd bat options from teams out of it or looking to rebuild:

Miami: G Stanton (OF), Justin Ruggiano

NYM: D Wright (3B) (it would take a ton of prospects to pry him loose.)

Philly: John Mayberry (OF)

LAD: Juan Uribe (3B), Matt Kemp (OF), Scott Van Slyke (OF)

SD: Chase Headley (3B), Carlos Quentin (OF) (add H Street?)

Minn: J Willingham (OF)

CWS: Alex Rios (OF) (add Jesse Crain)

SEA: Kyle Seager (3B) but bats lefty, Mike Morse (1B/OF), K Morales (1B/DH) #, J Bay

LAA: Bourjos (CF), Trout (CF), Trumbo, A Callaspo # (3B) would cost 2 arms and 2 legs for just 1, and these guys are all part of the Angels' longterm plans.

Some multiple player deals could include:

Young and C Lee from Philly

A Ramirez and Gallardo from Milw.

Rios and Crain from CWS

Headley and Street from SD

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

I'm sorry, but THIS is sugar coating it.

The analysis of home runs per inning doesn't work, because you have to record an out to calculate an INNING.

JUST last night, he gave up two runs without recording an out. He might have given up 20 trying to secure three outs -- we'll never know.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I'm surprised to see Toronto in there.  Wow.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Why would you want to mess with ....

I am always bothered by the objection of "why would you want to mess with a team that's in first place ..."

Why?

Unless you stop playing games, nothing stays the same. You are always either improving or sliding backwards.

That's why I'm in favor, as a general proposition, of the management which has got us this far to continue making changes that they think improve the team. I have a lot of faith that people in the organization know more than I do about whose stock is rising and whose stock is falling.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I am always bothered by the objection of "why would you want to mess with a team that's in first place ..."

Why?

Unless you stop playing games, nothing stays the same. You are always either improving or sliding backwards.

That's why I'm in favor, as a general proposition, of the management which has got us this far to continue making changes that they think improve the team. I have a lot of faith that people in the organization know more than I do about whose stock is rising and whose stock is falling.

A simple look at most recent championship teams will reveal that many made in season trades to try and better themselves.

Sox4ever

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Why?

A simple look at most recent championship teams will reveal that many made in season trades to try and better themselves.

Sox4ever

A lot of them made fringe trades.

And a lot of teams made major trades, which were an absolute disaster, and didn't help them make the playoffs.

• 2012 LAA traded Segura (SS .901 OPS) for two months of Greinke and no playoff
    • 2011 SFG traded Zack Wheeler for Beltran, missed the playoffs and need an SP.
    • 2011 Philly sends 2 top-50 prospects + 2 more for Pence and are out in the ALCS
    • 2010 LAA sends Corbin (9-0) AND Skaggs to AZ for Haren.  LA misses playoffs, AZ in 1st

I could add another 25 disasters without having to even look things up.  Tek/Lowe, Bagwell, the Sizemore, Cliff Lee, Brandon Philips traqde which destroyed an entire franchise.  Tuneups are fine, but the BB graveyards are littered with teams that traded their future for a mirage.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

I'm surprised to see Toronto in there.  Wow.  

Toronto's bullpen has pitched 27 consecutive innings without allowing an earned run.  Cecil has retired 40 batters without allowing a hit and Buehrle has a 2.13 ERA over his last six starts.

For now, I hope they beat the O's again so that the Red Sox can build a bigger lead over them.  Laughing

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Why?

Sox4ever

A lot of them made fringe trades.

And a lot of teams made major trades, which were an absolute disaster, and didn't help them make the playoffs.

• 2012 LAA traded Segura (SS .901 OPS) for two months of Greinke and no playoff
    • 2011 SFG traded Zack Wheeler for Beltran, missed the playoffs and need an SP.
    • 2011 Philly sends 2 top-50 prospects + 2 more for Pence and are out in the ALCS
    • 2010 LAA sends Corbin (9-0) AND Skaggs to AZ for Haren.  LA misses playoffs, AZ in 1st

I could add another 25 disasters without having to even look things up.  Tek/Lowe, Bagwell, the Sizemore, Cliff Lee, Brandon Philips traqde which destroyed an entire franchise.  Tuneups are fine, but the BB graveyards are littered with teams that traded their future for a mirage.

And, there are plenty of examples of championship teams making in season deals that did not help them win as well (see the gagne trade), but my point was that many championship teams make deals that season. Some work, and some do not work, but they did make attempts to improve themselves even though things were going well at the time of the trade.

2012: The Giants picked up Scutaro and Pence

2011: The Cards picked up E Jackson and Furcal

2010: The Giants picked up Javier Lopes and Ramon Ramirez

2009: The Yanks picked up Jerry Hairiston

2008: The Phillies picked up Joe Blanton

2007: The Sox picked up Gagne (No help)

2006: The Cards made no deals

2005: The CWS picked up Geoff Blum

2004: The Sox picked up O Cabrera & Mientkiewicz and Ricky Guttierez

(Picked up S Williamson in 2003 who helped us win in 2004.)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

And, there are plenty of examples of championship teams making in season deals that did not help them win as well (see the gagne trade), but my point was that many championship teams make deals that season. Some work, and some do not work, but they did make attempts to improve themselves even though things were going well at the time of the trade.

In general this list solidifies the point that it's not usually a big ticket acquisition that's been made by the WS winner. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I said this maybe a month ago and I'm going to say it again as it's germaine to this thread.

Let's not lose sight of our focus.  Most of us came into this season looking at a .500 building year, thinking that the short term contracts that were signed in the off season would buy a little time until the "kids" matured.

Now that this team is leading the division we're losing sight of the long term goal of building a team from within that will be competitive every year. 

The teams of 2014-2019 are going to be built around players like JBJ, Iggy, Middy, Bogarts, Cecchini, and Vasquez.  Let's not go trading away the nucleus of a very good team just because we saw the gold ring THIS year.  I'd rather not make the playoff this year (blasphemy!) than see two or three of these guys traded for a 30+ year old starting pitcher who may (or may not) lead us to the holy grail in 2013.

Patience, folks.  Patience.

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In general this list solidifies the point that it's not usually a big ticket acquisition that's been made by the WS winner. 

Yes. I have said I do not think it is likely we trade for a big ticket pitcher at the deadline: the price is too high. 

Getting a RH'd middle order bat might not have to be a blockbuster.

The deals I listed are mostly not huge, but getting Pence was not a minor deal. 

The Cards getting E Jackson and Furcal were not minor.

But, nothing from 2005 to 2010 were more than minor, unless you want to call the Gagne deal more than minor- at the time he was a big name.

I do not think Sox management is going to trade the farm for a rental. I do think they may make one or more minor to moderate deals, even if just to set ourselves up for lessening the rule 5 burden this winter. A couple 2 or 3 for 1 deals to improve our delpth quality over quantity or maybe a deal that helps us now and beyond 2013.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to S5's comment:

I said this maybe a month ago and I'm going to say it again as it's germaine to this thread.

Let's not lose sight of our focus.  Most of us came into this season looking at a .500 building year, thinking that the short term contracts that were signed in the off season would buy a little time until the "kids" matured.

Now that this team is leading the division we're losing sight of the long term goal of building a team from within that will be competitive every year. 

The teams of 2014-2019 are going to be built around players like JBJ, Iggy, Middy, Bogarts, Cecchini, and Vasquez.  Let's not go trading away the nucleus of a very good team just because we saw the gold ring THIS year.  I'd rather not make the playoff this year (blasphemy!) than see two or three of these guys traded for a 30+ year old starting pitcher who may (or may not) lead us to the holy grail in 2013.

Excellent post.

Any deal we make should be geared towards beyond 2013, unless we give away players we may lose to free agency or rule 5 this winter.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I too agree with S5.  Fixes have to be long term because 2013 is basically a rebuilding year. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I too agree with S5.  Fixes have to be long term because 2013 is basically a rebuilding year. 

We can play for 2013 and beyond.

I'm not for a Cliff Lee or Papelbon trade, but getting them would not only help in 2013, but for a few years afterwards as well. The downside is that we'd lessen our longer term outlook by giving up a ton of prospects and take up most of our budget space we freed up with the Dodger deal.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I am neither "for" nor "against" a trade for Lee or Papelbon.  If they're available let's see what it would take.  But let's not do it with the idea that we're desperate to win this year so we'll deal anyone we've got. 

If the Sox could garner a SP or an established RP by throwing some cash and an expendable minor leaguer at it, I'd say do it.  If not, walk away and wait until next year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Well said.  I really like what our FO did this offseason because the moves gave us a good chance to be competitive without jeopardizing the future of the team, either financially or in terms of prospects and draft picks.  To do an about face on that philosophy now would not make much sense, especially since adding a key player or two, no matter how good, would not guarantee a championship or even a playoff berth.

Sections
Shortcuts