11 out of 15 AL Teams...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: 11 out of 15 AL Teams...

In response to moonslav59's comment:

... are within 5 in the loss column from the best record Red Sox!

Red Sox 31 losses

Baltimore 31

Detroit 31

Oakland 32

Texas 32

NY Yanks 33

Tampa Bay 35

Toronto 35

Cleveland 35

Kansas City 36

Minnesota 36

Right now, our biggest weaknesses seem to be:

1) Closer

2) Staring pitcher

3) Big RH'd bat for the middle of the line-up (3B/OF?)

Standing pat does not make sense to me in light of all these contenders knocking on our door, some of which will certainly make some moves to try and improve.

moon,

If we stand pat, we still have a chance but no better than anyone else.  I agree we need to make a couple smart moves to not only keep us on top but seperate us from the pack.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Moon - Responses to your biggest needs:

1. Andrew Bailey needs to be removed immediately. Farrell can't sugar coat it anymore. He's given up 6 HR in 22 1/3 innings. That's an average of 2.5 per 9 innings. 

2. Jon Lester is the sole reason why the Sox need a starter. When your #1/2 is performing like a number 5, it makes the entire rotation bad.

3. Demote Will Middlebrooks. He was slotted to be the 6th hitter in the lineup. Not only is he hitting .192, but he's batting 8th.

What should be done:

1. If Lester doesn't figure it out over his next two starts, DL him and hopefully he can figure it out.

2. Bailey should be demoted and made the mop up guy. Closer should be either Miller or Wilson.

3. Middlebrooks needs to go to Pawtucket and the Red Sox can bring up Drew Sutton. I don't know what Middlebrooks' WAR is but I'm sure its a big negative number and anyone would be better.

When and if we make the PS, mark my words "Detroit" will probably be the team to beat.  WHY?  Because of their starting rotation and the fact they can hit.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Although I sympathize with S5's overall idea, I respectfully disagree about methods and plans. Nobody without a foolproof crystal ball can honestly say that "player so-and-so " will definitely be a major part of a winning team in Year X.

The two competing models are :  A) bite the bullet, allow for 2 to 3 "development " years ( i.e. LOSING years) while playing a core of "kids" in the major leagues. This allows you to identify who your stalwarts are going forward for the long term.  NOT a viable option for a team like Boston, whose fans expect annual contention , at least through end of July every year

Second model is  : B ) develop the farm as much as possible, supplement the core with judicious trades and F.A. acquisitions, and make in-season trades to fill apparent gaps / shortfalls. In this model you usually break in rookies to M.L. roster 2 or maybe 3 (tops) major positions a year. This is also obviously the most difficult option, as it demands constant trade-offs between short-  and long- term moves. Between 2003 and 2009 the Sox excelled at it, then went a bit overboard in the 2010-2011 offseason. The John Lackey contract was perhaps the precursor , and then Crawford & Gonzalez the epitome.

Third way ?  The modern Dodgers Option : All of the above , spend fortunes on just about every free agent, salary dump trade, international free agent, etc. there is.  Not working so well in early going, except for Yasiel Puig.

As most here including myself tend to over-value our own prospects, mentally penciling them in as future stars, we need to take deep breath and relax. Don't sell the whole farm, but be ready and WILLING to make reasonable moves.

Were I in Ben C's shoes, and had unlimited dollar discretion from Mr. Henry ?  Middlebrooks and a 3rd tier prospect to Milwaukee for Aramis Ramirez.  Barnes, Britton, Brentz , Gomes plus cash, ( and 1 or 2 prospects NOT named Ranaudo, DeLaRosa, or Bogaerts ) for Rick Nolasco and Giancarlo Stanton ; POSSIBLY adding Workman for Steve Cishek.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to jimedfred's comment:

Although I sympathize with S5's overall idea, I respectfully disagree about methods and plans. Nobody without a foolproof crystal ball can honestly say that "player so-and-so " will definitely be a major part of a winning team in Year X.

The two competing models are :  A) bite the bullet, allow for 2 to 3 "development " years ( i.e. LOSING years) while playing a core of "kids" in the major leagues. This allows you to identify who your stalwarts are going forward for the long term.  NOT a viable option for a team like Boston, whose fans expect annual contention , at least through end of July every year

Second model is  : B ) develop the farm as much as possible, supplement the core with judicious trades and F.A. acquisitions, and make in-season trades to fill apparent gaps / shortfalls. In this model you usually break in rookies to M.L. roster 2 or maybe 3 (tops) major positions a year. This is also obviously the most difficult option, as it demands constant trade-offs between short-  and long- term moves. Between 2003 and 2009 the Sox excelled at it, then went a bit overboard in the 2010-2011 offseason. The John Lackey contract was perhaps the precursor , and then Crawford & Gonzalez the epitome.

Third way ?  The modern Dodgers Option : All of the above , spend fortunes on just about every free agent, salary dump trade, international free agent, etc. there is.  Not working so well in early going, except for Yasiel Puig.

As most here including myself tend to over-value our own prospects, mentally penciling them in as future stars, we need to take deep breath and relax. Don't sell the whole farm, but be ready and WILLING to make reasonable moves.

Were I in Ben C's shoes, and had unlimited dollar discretion from Mr. Henry ?  Middlebrooks and a 3rd tier prospect to Milwaukee for Aramis Ramirez.  Barnes, Britton, Brentz , Gomes plus cash, ( and 1 or 2 prospects NOT named Ranaudo, DeLaRosa, or Bogaerts ) for Rick Nolasco and Giancarlo Stanton ; POSSIBLY adding Workman for Steve Cishek.

Anyone can praise kids like Renaudo, De La Rosa, Barnes, Britton, Workman and Webster.  Although we appear to have more young depth than previous years, how many will actually impact our rotation again like Clay and when?  Or will most be like Doubront, Aceves, Miller, Bard and Morales who have good stuff but struggle with their control?

The bottom line is we continue to sign guys like Dempster, or rehab cases to bridge a gap that may never really close.  I say we can afford to trade a few guys and still keep our future bright, with Bradley and Bogy being our only two untouchables at this point along with Iggy.  We need to start throwing some possible packages/names out there in hopes of improving our future, like Tampa did with Shields. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You are overvaluing our prospects in the Stanton trade. They will want a lot more for just him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

You are overvaluing our prospects in the Stanton trade. They will want a lot more for just him.

Thats one of our biggest problems moon.  We always overvalue our prospects, especially young pitchers.  A guy like Stanton would definately take Bradley and/or Bogy out of our future and I'm not sure hes even worth it anyway. 

Any trade we make shouldn't involve Iggy, Bogy or Bradley.   It makes things more difficult but certainly not impossible.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We must be cautious about small sample size performances, but 1600 PAs bt Stanaton is about big enough to be sure he is the real deal. Bradley and Bogaerts could never make it big.

Stanton has just over 1600 PAs, 100 Hrs and 250 RBI (.894 OPS)- all before he turns 24!

His 162 game avg?  .270  40  100  (.350/.545/.895)

My guess is Miami would demand 4-5 of these guys:

Iggy or Marrero 

Middlebrooks, Cecchini, Bradley or Brentz

2 of Barnes, Britton, Owens or Ranaudo

(Not all their choice of players)

Maybe something like: Iggy, Bradley, Barnes and Britton just to get them to talk.

(Side note: I'm not sure I'd give away that much of the farm for anyone in MLB, but I'd rather keep Iggy and Bradley and offer: Middlebrooks, Marrero, Brentz, Barnes, and Britton, but I'm not sure if they even return a counteroffer for this.)

Sox4ever