11,722???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

11,722???

If it were a game driven on fan base and support ... Tampa Bay would never get out of the cellar.  At least Baltimore woke up and started supporting the Birds ...

Last night, only 11,722 showed up to see the game.  In a play off run, with gobs of great pitching ... and roughly two out of three seats were empty. 

Disgusting.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: 11,722???

In response to SinceYaz's comment:
    [QUOTE]If it were a game driven on fan base and support ... Tampa Bay would never get out of the cellar.  At least Baltimore woke up and started supporting the Birds ...

Last night, only 11,722 showed up to see the game.  In a play off run, with gobs of great pitching ... and roughly two out of three seats were empty. 

Disgusting.[/QUOTE]
    Who cares about Tampa Bay's attendance?

The Rays field a competitive team apparently while staying within a modest budget. That's anything but disgusting.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

This is why Rays are trying to move. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

And I bet half of them were Sox fans...

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They should move to NC. 

Although softy supposedly lives there, they deserve a ML team much more than TB.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I know Tampa is a pigskin town.  But, since the (Devil) Rays began their fantastic ascent to the top of the mighty AL East, I have wondered if their absoltely pathetic attendence would be any different if they didn't play at the Trop.  That place is absolutely hideous in every respect.  So sad that the organization did such amazing work to build a perennical contender and that work is sabotaged by the single worst stadium in the league.  Shea was way better than the Trop.  I don't know, Tampa may never embrace baseball.  but its Florida, you make it look nice, comfy up the seats and throw a couple water fountains in somewhere, and my bet is the 3rd through 6th innings would be very well attended at Rays games.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]

If it were a game driven on fan base and support ... Tampa Bay would never get out of the cellar.  At least Baltimore woke up and started supporting the Birds ...

Disgusting.

They need to move to another location.  I don't know how MLB decided to start a franchise in Florida, but it was a lousy decision.  Although, the Marlins have more fans than Tampa Bay.  Isn't their another location in the country where they would support a baseball franchise? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Does attendance really matter if Tampa Bay can field a competitive team and break even financially?

The Red Sox have the so-called sellout streak while the team has become less and less competititve over the past four seasons.

Which franchise is more admirable?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Does attendance really matter if Tampa Bay can field a competitive team and break even financially?

The Red Sox have the so-called sellout streak while the team has become less and less competititve over the past four seasons.

[/QUOTE]

It does matter, what is the point of a spectators sport with out the spectators? If this was the NFL they would have been moved already. It is pretty cut and dry if you don't draw you move. It has been like that for 100 years. Especially with increased profit sharing, it becomes unfair to every other team and fans of those teams to support a team no one cares about.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

[QUOTE]

Disgusting.

[/QUOTE]

50% of which were Red Sox fans I'm sure.

Look on Ebay...  you can buy Rays tics for $20...  $50 behind home plate.  Private sellers trying to salvage anything they can for the tickets they are stuck with.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I know Tampa is a pigskin town.  But, since the (Devil) Rays began their fantastic ascent to the top of the mighty AL East, I have wondered if their absoltely pathetic attendence would be any different if they didn't play at the Trop.  That place is absolutely hideous in every respect.  So sad that the organization did such amazing work to build a perennical contender and that work is sabotaged by the single worst stadium in the league.  Shea was way better than the Trop.  I don't know, Tampa may never embrace baseball.  but its Florida, you make it look nice, comfy up the seats and throw a couple water fountains in somewhere, and my bet is the 3rd through 6th innings would be very well attended at Rays games.[/QUOTE]

"HIDEOUS" have you ever been there? I'll take the concourse at the Trop over Fenway any day.

There is nothing wrong with watching a game there either. If you look at it strictly at the dome and catwalks that come into play yeah it could be better.

As for attendance the place in ST Pete (Trop) is easy to get to with decent parking all mch better than Fenway and much cheaper. Hell if you have  more than two in the car you can park for free at the Trop.

They say having a new stadium in Tampa would bring in more people that IMHO is BS. If you can not drive across one of the 3 bridges which can take a bit due to rush hour (but better than Boston traffic) to the game why would you go at all.

They should have built it in Orlando more access to more people as well as tourists.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]

Disgusting.

At least they are honest with their attendance figures. The Red Sox attendance is a farce. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And I bet half of them were Sox fans...

[/QUOTE]

I was gonna suggest that ... but thought I'd leave the numbers where they were ...

Funny thing is that Rays fans get mad when Sox fans seem to outnumber them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They should move to NC. 

Although softy supposedly lives there, they deserve a ML team much more than TB.

[/QUOTE]

There's plenty of space in NC to have great sports venues and never ever get close to being aware softy exists nearby ....

Heck, the sensible Carolinians I know would easily find him to be the smile that teeth left out.

Then they'd grab their 30-06 and go shoot something to let off any steam he may have stirred up.  Just for the fun of it...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Competitive?  Competitive?  Who gives a rat's patoot about competitive.  I'm talking about the fans and their support. 

We'll get back on our feet again, but in the worst moments we might have 11,000 - not during pennant runs.

Admirable team?  Hmmm.  Only one I admire is the Red Sox.

Dishonest numbers ... sellouts really don't matter, the 8 years + of near or real sell outs surely speak of a fan base that knows how to show it's support.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Why should a Red Sox fan care about how many fans a more competitive team draws?

Should the eight teams that have outdrawn the Red Sox this season care about the inflated but lower attendance at Fenway Park?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Is it better for hordes of fans in a larger market to buy into the well-established brand of an inferior product or for fewer fans in a smaller market to buy into the less-established brand of a superior product?

I don't have a definite answer.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Prorated for relative market size, a paid attendance of 11,722 at Tropicana Field would be like a paid attendance of 28,469 at Fenway Park.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I think this is nonsense.  The Rays have had a strong and, in some ways, exciting team for years.  Their attendance is very poor by MLB standards.

What is disgusting?  That relatively few local people are interested in baseball?  Or that many local people don't like the Rays' stadium, or have better things to do?  Or maybe have better things to spend their money on?

I am not interested in Rugby Union and have gone to about 3 games in 22 years despite some of the best club and international games in the world being played near to where I live (London).  Is my behaviour re Rugby Union disgusting?  Of course it isn't, I'm just not interested in Rugby Union.

Local people choose not to attend in high numbers....the team chooses to continue to do business there - very effectively - and the league chooses not to push the issue.

I see the problem - good baseball not being appreciated which will reduce the number of new fans/potential players to push the sport forward - but you can hardly blame people for not liking Cheerios, Oreos or baseball.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Speaking of attendance:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/attendance/_/league/usa.1/major-league-soccer?cc=5901

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

Speaking of attendance:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/attendance/_/league/usa.1/major-league-soccer?cc=5901

[/QUOTE]

40k+?  That's huge.  Very few football teams in the world manage that.  Even the next tier of 18-22k is pretty strong.  People vote with their feet, right?

Hill, any insights on that huge 40k+ average?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars's comment:
    [QUOTE]In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE] Speaking of attendance:

[/QUOTE]

40k+?  That's huge.  Very few football teams in the world manage that.  Even the next tier of 18-22k is pretty strong.  People vote with their feet, right?

Hill, any insights on that huge 40k+ average?[/QUOTE]

Perhaps the Seattle Sounders have attracted all the sports fans who used to attend the games of my Seattle Mariners. ;-)  The stadiums are adjacent to each other.

This is what I found on a Google search:

http://mlsattendance.blogspot.com/2012/04/seattle-sounders-attendance-update.html

http://theoriginalwinger.com/2012-07-07-where-does-seattle-sounders-century-link-field-attendance-rank-in-the-major-soccer-leagues-worldwide

I've never attended a Sounders game and I gone only to one reserve game of the second-year Portland Timbers, who play within walking distance of my home.

Sections
Shortcuts