11,722???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: 11,722???

CORRECTION: I've never attended a Sounders game and I have gone only to one reserve game of the second-year Portland Timbers, who play within walking distance of my home.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why should a Red Sox fan care about how many fans a more competitive team draws?

Should the eight teams that have outdrawn the Red Sox this season care about the inflated but lower attendance at Fenway Park?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

[/QUOTE]

You are Mariners fan, do you realize that you paying for a TB team that no one shows up to? With the why revenue sharing works in MLB every fan suffers when a team doesn't draw. Why should baseball not look to expand its revenue base for that reason alone.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

The logical place for a team in FL was Orlando, far better choice than Tampa.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nc loves baseball. 

How many minor league clubs are in NC?

Although the population in NC is a bit spreadout to get the Charlotte- Raleigh- Greensboro areas all invloved in a close enough travel distance location that suits all three, I think if they built a nice stadium somewhere between Charlotte and Greensboro, "they will come".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

11,502 tonight at the game the attendence went down!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Reminds me of the O's and Pirates who didn't even sell out playoff games in the 70's.

Nice new stadiums placed in the right location goes a long way.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

completely disgusting.  the fact that this team stays in TB is mind-boggling.  there should be 35k fans a night all year for that team.  the sooner they move the better.  Vegas, NC, PR, Oregon...somewhere....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Florida is a football state, so in general, it will take time to build interest. Older baseball fans in the area already had allegiences to other teams. If they're like me and from an MLB city, chances are that's their main team. If they're from Florida, they might have picked another team based on spring training or something else. Some of those fans might have switched to Tampa Bay. But neither group, even if they're baseball fans, are groups you want to build your base on.

The true Tampa Bay fans will be the kids who grew up in the TB area and had no other alliegences. But it takes time for that base to take hold. A 6-year-old when the Rays began is now just 22. He (or she) doesn't even have a family started.

What the Rays should have been donig the past 16 years is targeting kids. Have cheap tickets for kids (at good locations) or other promotions to get dads to take their kids to the park over the past 16 years. Start those allegiences young and the payoff could have started coming in the next 10 years as the 22-year-olds of today get married and have kids. It takes at least the first generation of fans to grow up to really help a franchise take hold IMO. 

The location of the field doesn't help however. The Rays need to draw from more than the Tampa-St. Pete area. Tampa residents will cross the bridge. But being in St. Pete does hurt them from attracting fans from the East, north and south of Hillsborough County.

I live in Polk County. It takes about an hour and 15 minutes for me to get to the Trop -- longer on a weeknight game. It takes me about 45 to 55 minutes to get to St. Pete Times Forum (in Tampa) or Raymond James in Tampa -- again depending on time of day. That extra 20 to 30 minutes can be a deal breaker, especially if I'm pressed for time. And if you're talking about people trying to make the game after work, that extra 20 to 30 minutes can make difference on whether or not they can make the game.

Florida was also hit harder than many states with the recession because of the housing market. And that hit Florida just when the Rays started making the playoffs, so a bit of bad luck and timing hasn't helped.

I think long term, the Rays can build a fan base but they do need to move out of St. Pete and over to Tampa -- near the hockey arena would be great. I think a park in downtown is better than the outskirts, but strictly from a logistal standpoint, something near I-4 and I-75 would be ideal -- strictly logistical. Something in the downtown area still would be better.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Attendance #'s like the ones at the Trop are pathetic. The Rays would do far better in Nashville, Charlotte, Va Bch, Vegas. Their attendance #'s aren't much better than AAA teams.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I seem to recall that back when the Patriots were in their early years the T.V. used to blackout the games because they didn't sell out. Because of this you still find people who live in New England are fans of other teams. As a kid I couldn't go to Pats games, so we watched football on T.V., The Pats were never on, so I became a fan of Kansas City, my friends were Cowboys and Vikings fans. It wasn't a case of not supporting the "home" team, but we only got to see the away games and they never made the playoffs.

I think with Tampa Bay being (unfortunately) stuck in the AL East, and with them being an expansion team ( still relatively new), coupled with them being a horrible , uncompetitive team for so long...well, this makes for a tough time building a loyal fanbase. And also, they are in a part of the country that is dominated by retirees and college football.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I know Tampa is a pigskin town.  But, since the (Devil) Rays began their fantastic ascent to the top of the mighty AL East, I have wondered if their absoltely pathetic attendence would be any different if they didn't play at the Trop.  That place is absolutely hideous in every respect.  So sad that the organization did such amazing work to build a perennical contender and that work is sabotaged by the single worst stadium in the league.  Shea was way better than the Trop.  I don't know, Tampa may never embrace baseball.  but its Florida, you make it look nice, comfy up the seats and throw a couple water fountains in somewhere, and my bet is the 3rd through 6th innings would be very well attended at Rays games.[/QUOTE]

"HIDEOUS" have you ever been there? I'll take the concourse at the Trop over Fenway any day.

There is nothing wrong with watching a game there either. If you look at it strictly at the dome and catwalks that come into play yeah it could be better.

As for attendance the place in ST Pete (Trop) is easy to get to with decent parking all mch better than Fenway and much cheaper. Hell if you have  more than two in the car you can park for free at the Trop.

They say having a new stadium in Tampa would bring in more people that IMHO is BS. If you can not drive across one of the 3 bridges which can take a bit due to rush hour (but better than Boston traffic) to the game why would you go at all.

They should have built it in Orlando more access to more people as well as tourists.

[/QUOTE]

Fair enough Jim.  Parking is easy (and, certainly compared to Fenway ... nothing is as ludicrous as parking at fenway), and perhaps you are right in that a new stadium wouldn't make a difference.  I posed my post merely as a musing.  I am not a Tampa/St. Pete native, so I can only guess at these things.  However, I have been to the Trop.  And, and this is obviously subjective, but I really do not like the stadium itself at all.  The catwalk funkiness is actually at least a quirky little aspect that I can appreciate in some way.  The rest of the experience, aesthetically, leaves me very cold.  And I won't even bring up the acoustics vis-a-vis the cowbells.  Other than the fact that I am a baseball junkie and the tix are pretty cheap, I probably wouldn't go out of my way to make games very often if I lived down there.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I know Tampa is a pigskin town.  But, since the (Devil) Rays began their fantastic ascent to the top of the mighty AL East, I have wondered if their absoltely pathetic attendence would be any different if they didn't play at the Trop.  That place is absolutely hideous in every respect.  So sad that the organization did such amazing work to build a perennical contender and that work is sabotaged by the single worst stadium in the league.  Shea was way better than the Trop.  I don't know, Tampa may never embrace baseball.  but its Florida, you make it look nice, comfy up the seats and throw a couple water fountains in somewhere, and my bet is the 3rd through 6th innings would be very well attended at Rays games.[/QUOTE]

"HIDEOUS" have you ever been there? I'll take the concourse at the Trop over Fenway any day.

There is nothing wrong with watching a game there either. If you look at it strictly at the dome and catwalks that come into play yeah it could be better.

As for attendance the place in ST Pete (Trop) is easy to get to with decent parking all mch better than Fenway and much cheaper. Hell if you have  more than two in the car you can park for free at the Trop.

They say having a new stadium in Tampa would bring in more people that IMHO is BS. If you can not drive across one of the 3 bridges which can take a bit due to rush hour (but better than Boston traffic) to the game why would you go at all.

They should have built it in Orlando more access to more people as well as tourists.

[/QUOTE]

Fair enough Jim.  Parking is easy (and, certainly compared to Fenway ... nothing is as ludicrous as parking at fenway), and perhaps you are right in that a new stadium wouldn't make a difference.  I posed my post merely as a musing.  I am not a Tampa/St. Pete native, so I can only guess at these things.  However, I have been to the Trop.  And, and this is obviously subjective, but I really do not like the stadium itself at all.  The catwalk funkiness is actually at least a quirky little aspect that I can appreciate in some way.  The rest of the experience, aesthetically, leaves me very cold.  And I won't even bring up the acoustics vis-a-vis the cowbells.  Other than the fact that I am a baseball junkie and the tix are pretty cheap, I probably wouldn't go out of my way to make games very often if I lived down there.

[/QUOTE]

DAMN COWBELLS SUK

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to SinceYaz's comment:
    [QUOTE]If it were a game driven on fan base and support ... Tampa Bay would never get out of the cellar.  At least Baltimore woke up and started supporting the Birds ...

Last night, only 11,722 showed up to see the game.  In a play off run, with gobs of great pitching ... and roughly two out of three seats were empty. 

Disgusting.[/QUOTE]
    Who cares about Tampa Bay's attendance?

The Rays field a competitive team apparently while staying within a modest budget. That's anything but disgusting.

[/QUOTE]

The Rays are disgusting. Their fans are too. Disgusting.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I'm thin king of the song "Short People" by Randy Newman as I think of the Rays and their little organization.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

12,708 last night. Let's see what a solid pitching matchup of Clay vs Price tonight brings in.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

I'm thin king of the song "Short People" by Randy Newman as I think of the Rays and their little organization.

From "Short People" by Randy Newman:

"Short People are just the same
    As you and I
    (A Fool Such As I)
    All men are brothers
    Until the day they die
    (It's A Wonderful World)"

;-)

To call a baseball team and their fans "disgusting" says more about you than it does about the organization. The world includes travesties that might inspire "disgust," but baseball is not one of them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Perhaps this figure was also a recent Fenway turnout that was "mysteriously" interpreted as a sellout.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

From "Short People" by Randy Newman:

"Short People are just the same
    As you and I
    (A Fool Such As I)
    All men are brothers
    Until the day they die
    (It's A Wonderful World)"

;-)

To call a baseball team and their fans "disgusting" says more about you than it does about the organization. The world includes travesties that might inspire "disgust," but baseball is not one of them.

[/QUOTE]

Short people got no reason to live. The Rays and their fans are disgusting and lame. Their organization should be overthrown and conquered like Hussien, and they should be made a minor league team of the conqueror. To the victor go the spoils friend.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

........and the Goofy Genius should be run out of his hiding place by Bosotn Marines and put on display before the civilized world with his bushy beard before being clapped in irons and tried for crimes against the natural baseball order before being exiled to clean bathrooms forever at Yankee  Stadium.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

......short people.....you gotta pick 'em up just to say hello....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

......don't want no short people round hee-ah....

Sections
Shortcuts