12 year old fan convinces Sox to make an anti-bullying video

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

12 year old fan convinces Sox to make an anti-bullying video

From ESPNBoston.com:

BOSTON -- The Nashua (N.H.) North Angels went 13-2 in the Cal Ripken League this spring, and with the playoffs coming up, Sam Maden, their all-star shortstop and pitcher, was looking to get the attention of the Red Sox.

"Sweet Sammy" is what his mom, Tara, likes to shout out to him for encouragement when he is on the field, a great baseball nickname but one that tends to embarrass her 12-year-old son. You know, moms and all that. Sam, as you might imagine, is a big Sox fan. He went to Fenway to see a game for the first time three years ago, when he was 9, and as luck would have it, he was randomly chosen to be the kid to go down onto the field before the game and yell, "Play ball.'' The Sox came up big for him that day in the game. "J.D. Drew and Mike Lowell both hit grand slams,'' he said.

Now, Sam was hoping the Sox would come through for him again, but this time, he was shooting for something more than memories. He wanted the team to take a stand, just like the one he took, against bullying, especially against members of the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community.

Maybe if you'd known Sam's uncle, Chris Nutile, you'd understand why. Nutile, Tara's brother, cared deeply about such things and shared that attitude with his nephew, who always looked forward to visits from his uncle, who split his time between New York and Miami but usually made it back to Nashua for the holidays.

Nutile was gay, and one of the causes he was most passionate about was the Trevor Project, a crisis and suicide prevention counseling service for youth, especially members of the LGBT community. At Pennichuck Middle School, where Sam is a seventh grader, time is set aside for the kids to do something to make a difference. Sam and a couple of his buddies organized a bike-a-thon for the Trevor Project, and raised $800.

Nutile would have been proud, of course, had he lived. But he was in Brazil this past winter during the devastating mudslides that struck that country, and in January the family was notified by the U.S. consulate that he had been killed, although the circumstances of his death, Tara said, have never been fully explained. Nutile was 43.

It was Chris Nutile's memory that Sam Maden was looking to honor with his pledge to the Trevor Project. But then it turned into something bigger. One of Sam's teachers told him about a Giants baseball fan in San Francisco, a 35-year-old accountant named Sean Chapin, who had launched an online petition urging the Giants to make a video in support of "It Gets Better," a national movement started in response to the wave of suicides among bullied teens, especially those with an LGBT orientation.

Sam decided to do the same, targeting the Red Sox. Barry, Sam's dad, signed off on the project, and Sam posted his petition at a website called Change.org. Tara posted a link on her Facebook page.

"Greetings, Boston Red Sox,'' it began. "Every day, gay and lesbian teens in middle school and high school are made fun of and bullied. It's sad that some of them are bullied so badly, they commit suicide. There are videos on YouTube called 'It Gets Better' that tell young people it is OK to be who they are.

"My name is Sam, I am 12 years old and my two friends and I really like the Boston Red Sox. We have looked up ways to change our community, and our country. On YouTube and Facebook you can see examples of 'It Gets Better' videos. There are hundreds. So please, can you make a video to help young gay and lesbian teens? You can help us save lives one teen at a time.''

Brian Purchia is the communications director for Change.org. He happens to be from Winchester, Mass., and is a Sox fan. His reaction when he discovered that a 12-year-old was behind the "It Gets Better" petition to the Sox?  "Just shocked, honestly,'' he said. "It's a very brave act by a middle school kid, in the face of the kind of pressure that can come from society and in school when you do something like this.''

Sam's petition was featured on the Change.org site, and within a couple of weeks, it had received 9,240 signatures. "We never saw this coming,'' Tara said. "It's been incredible.''

On Thursday, Purchia said, he reached out to Susan Goodenow, the Red Sox senior vice president of public affairs and marketing. A day later, the Sox had pledged to make a public service announcement for "It Gets Better.''

"The Red Sox organization takes the issue of bullying seriously," the team said in a statement. "It is something that has touched many of us and those we love, and it is a growing problem in our community. We are proud of dedicated Red Sox fans like 12-year-old Sam Maden who have taken the courageous step of publicly standing up against bullying of LGBT youth."

The Sox became the third team to pledge to make an "It Gets Better" video. The Giants already posted theirs, with several players participating, and the Cubs have committed to making one. Purchia said there are now similar petitions directed to at least 20 other big league teams.

And who does Sam hope will be involved in the Sox "It Gets Better" video?

"I would like to see Dustin Pedroia in it because he is my favorite player and Jason Varitek because he is the captain of the team and seen as the leader of the Red Sox,'' he said.

And what would Uncle Chris have made of all of this?

"We are quite sure he is dancing and celebrating somewhere,'' Tara said. "He would have been shouting this from the rooftops.''

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: 12 year old fan convinces Sox to make an anti-bullying video

Wow, what a remarkable kid. Maturity far beyond his years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

I like it. however, it should apply to every and any kid out there that is subject to that kind of garbage. gay or straight. it shouldn't matter.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Wow, great work by that kid. We have two board bullies here name Moonslav and Harness who need to watch that video.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: 12 year old fan convinces Sox to make an anti-bullying video:
    [QUOTE]I like it. however, it should apply to every and any kid out there that is subject to that kind of garbage. gay or straight. it shouldn't matter.
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]
    Excellent point.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

It's a PC stunt. The 12 year old kid is a puppet to a group with an agenda. Bully is bullying and is covered under threats, assulat and disorderly conduct. There is no need to hitch a sexual conduct group agenda to a 12 year old kid. This is absurd.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: 12 year old fan convinces Sox to make an anti-bullying video:
    [QUOTE]Wow, great work by that kid. We have two board bullies here name Moonslav and Harness who need to watch that video.
    Posted by SoxSoldRed[/QUOTE]

You changed your tune pretty quick.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from steelheadfisherman. Show steelheadfisherman's posts

Stop bullying gay kids...what an awful agenda! (TIC)

Good for the kid. I'd bet he did it on his own. There are a lot of remarkable kids out there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

No way he did it on his own. No way! Typical use of kids as props to advance political agendas. The Leftists are as good at it as any other PC group.

Cowards, I didn't "change my tune quickly". It's called sarcasm, for the dim bulbs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from steelheadfisherman. Show steelheadfisherman's posts

The kid did it on his own. Loved his uncle and wanted to honor his death. Good for him.  I'm proud of him and his parents for raising such a thoughtful child.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

No way did the "kid do it on his own".

How do you know who is a "gay kid"?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 12 year old fan convinces Sox to make an anti-bullying video : Seriously, went from "great work" by the kid to "absurd." Why am I not surprised?
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

He chalked it up to "sarcasm"...... aka his medication wore off between posts. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from steelheadfisherman. Show steelheadfisherman's posts

Many kids come out in high school. You will know a kid who has come out. It isn't 1950 like when you were in highschool. Additionally, effeniant kids are often bullyed and called gay slurs.

Are you really this out of reality? I can't believe I need to explain something this simple.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Stunning that someone could actually have a problem with this. Stunning, that is, until you see who it is.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

That's what happens when you come out. It's no different than a kid with a disability or just plain weak.
    Kids can be brutal but what are we teaching them by letting others fight there fights for them? We are teaching them to be pansies that's what.
    I was bullied all through my elementary years until I finally stood up to one of them. Did not need mom or dad, and certainly not the government or some organization to intervene on my behalf.
    Let kids be kids, and let the parents be parents.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]That's what happens when you come out. It's no different than a kid with a disability or just plain weak. Kids can be brutal but what are we teaching them by letting others fight there fights for them? We are teaching them to be pansies that's what. I was bullied all through my elementary years until I finally stood up to one of them. Did not need mom or dad, and certainly not the government or some organization to intervene on my behalf. Let kids be kids, and let the parents be parents.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

I don't see it as fighting their fights. I see it as encouraging kids to not bully each other and practice tolerance, a message I can't imagine anyone objecting to.

But you're absolutely right that it's no different with a kid who is weak or quirky or a different race or religion. The message still applies.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 12 year old fan convinces Sox to make an anti-bullying video : I don't see it as fighting their fights. I see it as encouraging kids to not bully each other and practice tolerance, a message I can't imagine anyone objecting to. But you're absolutely right that it's no different with a kid who is weak or quirky or a different race or religion. The message still applies.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Point taken Lloyd. It really should be up to the parents to teach there kids how to treat others though. Granted, there are parents that don't deserve to be ones but I don't think it's been much diffenent now than it was 50 years ago, it's just that the information highway has made it it more noticable.
    I just don't want the nanny state.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 12 year old fan convinces Sox to make an anti-bullying video : Point taken Lloyd. It really should be up to the parents to teach there kids how to treat others though. Granted, there are parents that don't deserve to be ones but I don't think it's been much diffenent now than it was 50 years ago, it's just that the information highway has made it it more noticable. I just don't want the nanny state.
    A bit off the OP, but speaking of which ... check this out from my local paper.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-newport-news-police-look-for-two-missing-children-20110605,0,6487903.story

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 12 year old fan convinces Sox to make an anti-bullying video : Point taken Lloyd. It really should be up to the parents to teach there kids how to treat others though. Granted, there are parents that don't deserve to be ones but I don't think it's been much diffenent now than it was 50 years ago, it's just that the information highway has made it it more noticable. I just don't want the nanny state.

It is up to the parents.  But, as they say, it takes a village.  Parents are never the only figures in a child's life who teach moral principles.  Children get this information from many different sources.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

You will know a kid who has come out.

I will know a "kid who has come out and publicly declared that he or she is gay"? This isn't genetic sexual identity, it's a declaration about personal sexual conduct. 

When a kid "comes out" and says "I'm bi-sexual", is that an identity or a public declaration about sexual conduct preference? Does he need to "come out", or only those who prefer homosexual behavior need to "come out"?

Those are rhetorical questions.

(Before some offended poster hits the "report button", keep in mind that Leftist word "tolerance". Be tolerant of viewpoints that differ from your own)

Needless to say, behavioral disorders are part of the human condition. Behavioral disorders are not all learned, some are genetic disorders. As Judeo-Christian-Islamic moral doctrine makes clear, one cannot approve the sin but one can be kind and forgiving to the sinner. To those who protest that certain behaviors are not sins, such beliefs are not reconciliable with these moral doctrines. In addition, there is only an establishment and establishment clause, there has never been any Constitutional separation of church and state. This Nation was founded upon a trust in God, and it's moral laws are based on such trust. 

It is very important for people to stand up for what is right. Bullying is wrong. Having a policy on bullying that is based upon publicly or privately known homosexual conduct orientation is also quite wrong. 

The bullying video should be totally divorced from sexual conduct orientation and should be a video that reminds people that it is wrong to bully any human being. 

This is an agenda driven publicity campaign orchestrated by Leftist adults using children to front it. Very sad.

(Before some offended poster hits the "report button", keep in mind that Leftist word "tolerance". Be tolerant of viewpoints that differ from your own)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

You will know a kid who has come out.

I will know a "kid who has come out and publicly declared that he or she is gay"? This isn't genetic sexual identity, it's a declaration about personal sexual conduct. 

When a kid "comes out" and says "I'm bi-sexual", is that an identity or a public declaration about sexual conduct preference? Does he need to "come out", or only those who prefer homosexual behavior need to "come out"?

Those are rhetorical questions.

Needless to say, behavioral disorders are part of the human condition. Behavioral disorders are not all learned, some are genetic disorders. As Judeo-Christian-Islamic moral doctrine makes clear, one cannot approve the sin but one can be kind and forgiving to the sinner. To those who protest that certain behaviors are not sins, such beliefs are not reconciliable with these moral doctrines. In addition, there is only an establishment and establishment clause, there has never been any Constitutional separation of church and state. This Nation was founded upon a trust in God, and it's moral laws are based on such trust. 

It is very important for people to stand up for what is right. Bullying is wrong. Having a policy on bullying that is based upon publicly or privately known homosexual conduct orientation is also quite wrong. 

The bullying video should be totally divorced from sexual conduct orientation and should be a video that reminds people that it is wrong to bully any human being. 

This is an agenda driven publicity campaign orchestrated by Leftist adults using children to front it. Very sad.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

I wonder if Sam or someone representing him has to use bullying tactics to get this video made.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 12 year old fan convinces Sox to make an anti-bullying video : It is up to the parents.  But, as they say, it takes a village.  Parents are never the only figures in a child's life who teach moral principles.  Children get this information from many different sources.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Don't know how old you are, but the days are gone when neighbors looked out for neighbors kids. Communities were tight, and the church played a huge role in moral upbringing. Morality used to be taught in school as well, not so much anymore.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]You will know a kid who has come out. I will know a "kid who has come out and publicly declared that he or she is gay"? This isn't genetic sexual identity, it's a declaration about personal sexual conduct.  When a kid "comes out" and says "I'm bi-sexual", is that an identity or a public declaration about sexual conduct preference? Does he need to "come out", or only those who prefer homosexual behavior need to "come out"? Those are rhetorical questions. (Before some offended poster hits the "report button", keep in mind that Leftist word "tolerance". Be tolerant of viewpoints that differ from your own) Needless to say, behavioral disorders are part of the human condition. Behavioral disorders are not all learned, some are genetic disorders. As Judeo-Christian-Islamic moral doctrine makes clear, one cannot approve the sin but one can be kind and forgiving to the sinner. To those who protest that certain behaviors are not sins, such beliefs are not reconciliable with these moral doctrines. In addition, there is only an establishment and establishment clause, there has never been any Constitutional separation of church and state. This Nation was founded upon a trust in God, and it's moral laws are based on such trust.  It is very important for people to stand up for what is right. Bullying is wrong. Having a policy on bullying that is based upon publicly or privately known homosexual conduct orientation is also quite wrong.  The bullying video should be totally divorced from sexual conduct orientation and should be a video that reminds people that it is wrong to bully any human being.  This is an agenda driven publicity campaign orchestrated by Leftist adults using children to front it. Very sad.      (Before some offended poster hits the "report button", keep in mind that Leftist word "tolerance". Be tolerant of viewpoints that differ from your own)  
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

Very well put!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]You will know a kid who has come out. I will know a "kid who has come out and publicly declared that he or she is gay"? This isn't genetic sexual identity, it's a declaration about personal sexual conduct.  When a kid "comes out" and says "I'm bi-sexual", is that an identity or a public declaration about sexual conduct preference? Does he need to "come out", or only those who prefer homosexual behavior need to "come out"? Those are rhetorical questions. (Before some offended poster hits the "report button", keep in mind that Leftist word "tolerance". Be tolerant of viewpoints that differ from your own) Needless to say, behavioral disorders are part of the human condition. Behavioral disorders are not all learned, some are genetic disorders. As Judeo-Christian-Islamic moral doctrine makes clear, one cannot approve the sin but one can be kind and forgiving to the sinner. To those who protest that certain behaviors are not sins, such beliefs are not reconciliable with these moral doctrines. In addition, there is only an establishment and establishment clause, there has never been any Constitutional separation of church and state. This Nation was founded upon a trust in God, and it's moral laws are based on such trust.  It is very important for people to stand up for what is right. Bullying is wrong. Having a policy on bullying that is based upon publicly or privately known homosexual conduct orientation is also quite wrong.  The bullying video should be totally divorced from sexual conduct orientation and should be a video that reminds people that it is wrong to bully any human being.  This is an agenda driven publicity campaign orchestrated by Leftist adults using children to front it. Very sad.      (Before some offended poster hits the "report button", keep in mind that Leftist word "tolerance". Be tolerant of viewpoints that differ from your own)  
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

Right.  So, its 1930:  should the leaflet going around condemning the lynching of Blacks be divorced from any racial identification? 

Yes, bullying is wrong toward anyone.  But, the whole point of the "leftist agenda" that is the It Gets Better videos and their off-shoots is that, in recent years, there has been a rash of gay teens getting bullied to the point of committing suicide.  It is an effort to address this specifically.