12 year old fan convinces Sox to make an anti-bullying video

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

Re: 12 year old fan convinces Sox to make an anti-bullying video

In Response to Re: 12 year old fan convinces Sox to make an anti-bullying video:
    [QUOTE]But much less disturbed than those who cannot separate the wisdom and the essence of the Word of God The "wisdom and the essence" are the words themselves. The very claim that the current times require the wisdom and the essence of the words to conform to the cultural popular values of the day is the essense of the disturbed minds of today. It is indeed stated in proverbs that man will attempt to live his life within his own interpretation on what is virtue and what is vice. It's not surprising that man will attempt to make current values conform to current behavior. In addition, man will attempt to claim that what is right is wrong, and what is wrong is right. Isaiah 5:20 Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter. Without any question, my generation is working overtime to conform current behavior to current values. My generation is deeply disturbed and affected by many years of a cullture of drug abuse and individually based values. (BTW I'm for legalizing drugs) Contemporary cultural ethic of "if it feels good/right and involves consenting adults" cannot be reconciled with the word of the Lord. It most certainly is not the essence and wisdom of the Lord.  It's one thing to love thy enemy, but another to call a wrong right.  The Grateful Dead, as musicians, were very good musicians. Beyond that, very troubled minds with a very troubled popular following.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]
    WOW THAT CAME OUT OF LEFT FIELD SOFTLAW. NEVER WOULD HAVE EXPECTED THAT FROM SOMEONE AS SOUND OF MIND AND MORALS AS YOU. WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: 12 year old fan convinces Sox to make an anti-bullying video:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 12 year old fan convinces Sox to make an anti-bullying video : WOW THAT CAME OUT OF LEFT FIELD SOFTLAW. NEVER WOULD HAVE EXPECTED THAT FROM SOMEONE AS SOUND OF MIND AND MORALS AS YOU. WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE.
    Posted by StatsFromLouie[/QUOTE]
    Especially when he refers the Dead and their followers as having troubled minds.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from steelheadfisherman. Show steelheadfisherman's posts

Bible quotes are meaningless to me. I understand that you may view life through the lense of biblical interperatation. Don't assume that it has any meaning to me.

It's intersting that you have a negative view of your generation, like I do. Not surprisingly it's for a very different reason.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Deadhead is not my name or handle. You are attempting to use it as an insult. That says a whole lot about your morals and values.

It's a lot shorter than your moniker, and is shorthand and fits your icon. It's not an insult, but your captious and indignant remard says more about your lack of morals and bad values than anything else.

I am a dead fan so I'm not offended, but it makes you look juvenile to literally call me names.

I'm a fan of most music, including the Grateful Dead, but I'm not a fan of the tenets of the musicians. You are offended, and what makes you look juvenile is your childish indignant defensive retort because you are emotionally angry with someone who doesn't share your values. 

I'm amazed I have let a grown man that name calling makes you look like a fool.

You shouldn't be amazed at yourself, which couldn't be a grown man posting these witless protestations.

Anyhow, I don't share your values. My values were taght to me by my parents, a few coaches and in my mind shaped by common sense.

Your values most certainly were taught to you by those who pay no attention to the word of the Lord. Not that common sense is a moral compass, but even common sense makes it clear that there is no common sense to conduct that perverts natural law. And before you start raging with someone who disagrees with your values, read the above Word which is not the morals of common sense. It might be common sense to scratch an itch, but that doesn't make it wise or moral.

I don't believe for a moment that homosexuality is an affliction or disorder. That's just silly.

The Word is quite clear that homosexual behavior and other proscribed behaviors are most certainly an affliction and disorder, but for those who only understand individual reasoning, let's discuss it from the "don't impose your religion/don't just me" point of view.

A battle of the experts is just that, but it does shed light on the background of the issue. Until recently, the behavior was indeed considered a psychological disorder (which doesn't mean it can't be inate) by all Boards of Psychiatry. Despite current cultural values, it still is considered a behavioral disorder by a substantial number of Psychiatrists.

I have a friend, a member of the 60's generation, who is the head of a State Psychiatric Hospital. He is not "a holy roller", as the slur goes. He said that the behavior is a psychiatric disorder.

At the end of the day, the forces of current cultural values is force to strong for you to abandon. But current cultural values are man made and reflect the popular desires of man. 

At the fundamental level, independent of human relationships and trust, good intention, disposed to or not disposed to, the behavior cannot be considered anything but a perversion of the natural purpose of physical sexual identity itself. 

Common sense moral compass followers should have enough common sense to understand that. Current cultural values have made it unacceptable to disagree on the appropriateness of this behavior, which is on full display in any public forum. To agree with it is to be "hip", "enlightened", "tolerant of differences". To disagree with it and to denounce it is to be hateful, bigoted and a prisoner of the misguided values of a generation lacking in wisdom and common sense.      

Like I said before....good for the kid. I have more faith in todays youth than in the over 50 generation by far. Good luck out there

Like I said before...bad for the adults behind the kid. I have faith in the good Word, not in today's youth. Good luck with common sense as a moral compass, particularly when it isn't common sense at all.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

Has your friend told you that you suffer from severe dementia?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Everyone has told you that you suffer from irrelevancy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

[QUOTE]Everyone has told you that you suffer from irrelevancy.
    My ego is inflated when you say such nice things to me.

Kiss

(A man sending another man a kissing emoticon, must mean I have severe psychological problems)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

No, you have severe intellectual deficit problems.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

It appears to me that the 12-year-old did it because of the stories his uncle had told him about the abuse kids get for being "different" i.e. gay.  People forget how sensitive a child can be. I don't believe adults were behind this.

The fact that kids all over this country and around the world are being abused and committing suicide because they are gay, should be motivation enough for people to want to change things. You are born straight, or gay. End of story. Everyone needs to stop making gay people feel like second class citizens over a sexual preference. They also need to stop making them feel like there's something wrong with them. It's beyond cruel.

If this video saves one kid, and it will probably be more, than that's awesome IMO. This is a beautiful thing this kid is doing to honor his uncle. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

There is no proof, whatsoever, that one is "born gay or born straight. One is born male or female. Sex is conduct, not physical identity.

Kim, studies are consistent that depression and suicide is a problem for those who engage in homosexual conduct beyond cases involving the factor of bullying. There are factors outside of societal acceptance in these depression and suicide cases. And bullying has been a factor in the suicides of many different people. I say this not to minimize the need to denounce and take action to prevent bullying against any person, but to point out that there isn't a cause effect to bullying for one segment of people over another segment of people. Indeed, the causes of the extreme measure of suicide is a complicated pschiatric issue that goes beyond yours or my knowledge of the issue. 

Bullying is wrong, and any video should not be limited to the issue of bullying towards those who privately engage in, or publicly profess homosexual conduct preference. It should proscribe and denounce any type of bullying that riducules or derides people for any reason, citing many cases and examples of people who are bullied for various reasons or circumstances.

This is a contrived and organized effort intitiated by adults to piggyback a political agenda to engender sympathy and expand policy change in various institutions in society. If the agenda was primarily motivated to save lives from bullying, it would not exlude all classes of people in favor of one class of people that is working relentlessly to rewrite laws and policies around the world. Of course, "geeks" "losers" "psychos" etc. are all words of derision directed at people who do not necessarily share sexual behavior matters.

People are made to feel like second class citizens for all kinds of sexual conduct choices and issues in life. Bullying is wrong, but it is not wrong to disagree with people on what is appropriate morally and what is not.

kim, no offense, we agree to disagree on this issue, but it's pretty clear that you, in keeping with current popular values and opinion, disregard the words from the biblical passages above. There is no way to reconcile this behavior with either scripture or natural law. I believe that people should be left alone and free to do what consensual adults choose to do within their own private domain, and free to do what you are doing on this site. Free from ridicule, bullying, and equal oppurtinity in matters involving State Action. However, I do not believe that public laws should be changed to recognize family relationships that are based upon this sexual behavior. My reason is firmly grounded in the passages above, as well as natural law and common sense. It is also based upon scholarly study of the subject with the head of a State Psychiatric Hospital. 

And a case of high interest to parties on both sides of this issue is the one regarding equal protection and marriage laws. Because marriage laws grant equal protection rights to all individuals sharing either physical gender, the attempt to change marriage laws based upon equal protection violation is intellectually dishonest. Consenting adults is not a basis for equal protection, anymore than 3 adults who consent to marriage are denied equal protection by not being able to marry like any adult man or woman can marry one member of the opposite gender. The very essence of equal protection is provide in granting the same rights and privileges to any man or any woman. It is most certainly is not Constitutionally required to expand the rights to a gender class. 

Making race the equivalent to a class of people who share a sexual orientation conduct preferences is intellectually dishonest and a non sequitur. Race is a class of people with a physical identitfiable characterstic, sexual behavior is simply sexual behavior. There is no physically identifiable chararacteristic that is "gay", making it utterly impossible to identify a federally or government defined class of people. Despite claims that no one would ever say "I'm gay unless they were gay", there is no means to physically identify people based upon sexual behavior. It is utterly absurd, legally. 

If there becomes a scientific test that definitively establishes what someone's sexual behavioral preferences are, the legal issue takes on a different character and complexion. My own faith and study teaches me that will never happen, and not for the reason that I don't want it to happen. 

I happen to agree that drugs should be legalized, so I am not a person who clings to a rigid ideology when it comes to public policy.

Peace              

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

[QUOTE]There is no proof, whatsoever, that one is "born gay or born straight. One is born male or female. Sex is conduct, not physical identity. Kim, studies are consistent that depression and suicide is a problem for those who engage in homosexual conduct beyond cases involving the factor of bullying. There are factors outside of societal acceptance in these depression and suicide cases. And bullying has been a factor in the suicides of many different people. I say this not to minimize the need to denounce and take action to prevent bullying against any person, but to point out that there isn't a cause effect to bullying for one segment of people over another segment of people. Indeed, the causes of the extreme measure of suicide is a complicated pschiatric issue that goes beyond yours or my knowledge of the issue.  Bullying is wrong, and any video should not be limited to the issue of bullying towards those who privately engage in, or publicly profess homosexual conduct preference. It should proscribe and denounce any type of bullying that riducules or derides people for any reason, citing many cases and examples of people who are bullied for various reasons or circumstances. This is a contrived and organized effort intitiated by adults to piggyback a political agenda to engender sympathy and expand policy change in various institutions in society. If the agenda was primarily motivated to save lives from bullying, it would not exlude all classes of people in favor of one class of people that is working relentlessly to rewrite laws and policies around the world. Of course, "geeks" "losers" "psychos" etc. are all words of derision directed at people who do not necessarily share sexual behavior matters. People are made to feel like second class citizens for all kinds of sexual conduct choices and issues in life. Bullying is wrong, but it is not wrong to disagree with people on what is appropriate morally and what is not. kim, no offense, we agree to disagree on this issue, but it's pretty clear that you, in keeping with current popular values and opinion, disregard the words from the biblical passages above. There is no way to reconcile this behavior with either scripture or natural law. I believe that people should be left alone and free to do what consensual adults choose to do within their own private domain, and free to do what you are doing on this site. Free from ridicule, bullying, and equal oppurtinity in matters involving State Action. However, I do not believe that public laws should be changed to recognize family relationships that are based upon this sexual behavior. My reason is firmly grounded in the passages above, as well as natural law and common sense. It is also based upon scholarly study of the subject with the head of a State Psychiatric Hospital.  And a case of high interest to parties on both sides of this issue is the one regarding equal protection and marriage laws. Because marriage laws grant equal protection rights to all individuals sharing either physical gender, the attempt to change marriage laws based upon equal protection violation is intellectually dishonest. Consenting adults is not a basis for equal protection, anymore than 3 adults who consent to marriage are denied equal protection by not being able to marry like any adult man or woman can marry one member of the opposite gender. The very essence of equal protection is provide in granting the same rights and privileges to any man or any woman. It is most certainly is not Constitutionally required to expand the rights to a gender class.  Making race the equivalent to a class of people who share a sexual orientation conduct preferences is intellectually dishonest and a non sequitur. Race is a class of people with a physical identitfiable characterstic, sexual behavior is simply sexual behavior. There is no physically identifiable chararacteristic that is "gay", making it utterly impossible to identify a federally or government defined class of people. Despite claims that no one would ever say "I'm gay unless they were gay", there is no means to physically identify people based upon sexual behavior. It is utterly absurd, legally.  If there becomes a scientific test that definitively establishes what someone's sexual behavioral preferences are, the legal issue takes on a different character and complexion. My own faith and study teaches me that will never happen, and not for the reason that I don't want it to happen.  I happen to agree that drugs should be legalized, so I am not a person who clings to a rigid ideology when it comes to public policy. Peace              
    Sure you don't, Rush Limbaugh.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

There is no proof, whatsoever, that one is "born gay or born straight. One is born male or female. Sex is conduct, not physical identity

Washington Post Amanda GardnerHealthDay Reporter
    Monday, June 16, 2008; 12:00 AM

MONDAY, June 16 (HealthDay News) - MRI and PET scan studies are showing remarkable similarities between the brains of gay men and straight women, and between those of lesbians and straight men.

For example, the brains of straight men and of gay women share certain common features: both are slightly asymmetric, with the right hemisphere larger than the left, say the Swedish researchers.

On the other hand, the brains of gay men and straight women are both symmetrical.

Similar trends emerged when scientists tracked connectivity in the amygdala, the region of the brain involved in emotional learning and in activating the fight-or-flight response. They noted strong similarities between gay men and straight women, and lesbians and straight men.

The findings are published in the current issue of theProceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

"This is a very interesting study demonstrating a possible neurobiological relationship in brain size between gay men and straight women," said Paul Sanberg, distinguished professor of neurosurgery and director of the University of South Florida Center for Aging and Brain Repair in Tampa.

"I do think this is pointing to some type of neurobiological underpinning [to sexual orientation]," added Keith A. Young, associate professor of psychiatry and behavioral science at the Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine in Waco. He was not involved in the study.

"It's hard to know if that's related to genes, or what might happen in the womb -- I think those are the two primary options," said Young, who is also co-director of the Central Texas Veterans' Health Care System Neuropsychiatry Research Program in Temple. "How do those affect early brain development, and how might either genes or exposure to hormones in the womb change the trajectory of the development of emotional processing centers?"

The neurobiology of sexual orientation remains a controversial topic. Some research suggests that the brain activity of homosexual individuals in areas unrelated to sex mirror brain activity in straight individuals of the opposite sex. And certain psychological studies have revealed differences in how men and women use the brain's different hemispheres for verbal tasks, for example.

For this study, researchers from the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm first performed magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) on 90 participants -- 25 heterosexual men and an equal number of heterosexual women, plus 20 homosexual men and 20 homosexual women.

The right hemispheres of straight men and gay women were found to be bigger than the left, while the respective volume of these two cerebral hemispheres were about the same in gay men and straight women.

Fifty of the original participants also underwent positron emission tomography (PET) measurements of blood flow to the brain, designed to analyze connections between the right and left amygdalas. PET scans were performed both while the participants were resting and while they were smelling unscented air.

Here again, lesbians appeared to react more like straight men, while gay men were more like straight women.

According to the authors, fight-or-flight reactions -- controlled in part by the amygdala -- are more common in men than in women.

The differences, which werenotrelated to sexual attraction, could be due to environmental effects, genetics or the influence of sex hormones, the study authors stated.

Although some sex differences in brain size are visible at birth, the brain continues to develop as the child matures, meaning that environmental factors could also play a role.

The current wisdom regarding genetics and sexual orientation posits that genes may play a role in male homosexuality but not in female homosexuality, the researchers said.

Experts have also speculated that exposure to sex hormones prenatally influence sexual preference. Male rhesus monkeys have more androgen (a male sex hormone) receptors in the right side of the brain, while females have an equal distribution of receptors for the hormone.

SOURCES: Paul Sanberg, Ph.D., D.Sc., distinguished professor of neurosurgery and director, University of South Florida Center for Aging and Brain Repair, Tampa; Keith A. Young, Ph.D., associate professor of psychiatry and behavioral science, Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine, and co-director, Central Texas Veterans Health Care System Neuropsychiatry Research Program, Waco and Temple, Texas;Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, June 16-20, 2008

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Again, it's stunning to me that anyone has a problem with this young man taking a stand.

As for the Bible, you can use it to support just about any stance you want to take. The anti-homosexuality crowd cites Leviticus 18:22 as saying "do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman." But if you keep reading, Leviticus 19:19 says you can't wear clothing of two different materials or plant your fields with two kinds of seeds.

And then there's 19:27 ("Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard."). And 19:28 ("Do not cut your bodies for the dead or  put tattoo marks on yourself." So everyone out there who trims their beard and/or has a tattoo is a sinner?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

I think this sums it up nicely.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]I think this sums it up nicely.
    Posted by StatsFromLouie[/QUOTE]
    Beer addicts and potheads?!? Come on, what would Heaven be like without beer addicts and potheads?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

The Biological Research on Homosexuality

Book Excerpt:

Homosexuality and American Public Life

Edited by Christopher Wolfe
    Spence Publishing Co. (Dallas, TX)

The following excerpt is from Dr. Jeffrey Satinover's chapter, entitled, "The Biology of Homosexuality: Science or Politics?" which provides a very comprehensive review of the biological research on homosexuality.

It is important to note that serious research on the biology, innateness, or genetic determinants of homosexuality has only just recently begun. Exactly opposite to what the public is being led to believe, the research that has been done thus far suggests that genetic factors account for, at most, but a small proportion of the risk. J. M. Bailey and R. C. Pillard, two of the major researchers most widely cited as having demonstrated that "homosexuality is genetic," were forced to admit otherwise by the results of their own research. They themselves wrote:

These studies were designed to detect heritable variation, and if it was present, to counter the prevalent belief that sexual orientation is largely the product of family interactions and the social environment.... Although male and female homosexuality appear to be at least somewhat heritable, environment must also be of considerable importance in their origins.{1}

Neuroanatomic Research

In 1991, newspapers primarily on both coasts trumpeted the discovery of a brain difference between homosexuals and heterosexuals. Although the research finding itself was reported fairly accurately, the accounts universally concluded that the discovery had social-policy implications. Commentators triumphantly claimed that the discovery would halt any remaining uncertainty that homosexuality was either a choice, or a consequence of factors in upbringing. Therefore, they claimed, to continue to support anything less than full acceptance of homosexual behavior would be proof positive of prejudicial hatred.

What precipitated this outpouring? In August of 1991, a San Francisco neuroanatomist, Simon LeVay, published an article in the respected journal Science. It reported his finding that a localized cluster (a "nucleus") of cells in the brains of "homosexual" men was twice as large by volume on autopsy as in "heterosexual" men.{2} "Homosexual" and "heterosexual" are in quotations here because in this particular study the definitions of each were extremely imprecise, nor was there any way of verifying sexual orientation, as the subjects were dead.

But this was not the first such discovery. One year before a group reported in Brain Research that they had found a similar difference in both volume and number of cells in a different brain nucleus.{3} The media did not report this first study because Brain Research, unlike Science, is read only by neuroscientists. And in contrast to journalists, the neuroscientists themselves genuinely understood the research and its limitations, and saw no reason to make grand pronouncements.

More recently, yet another difference in another part of the brain was reported, also in a prestigious publication, the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science of the United States of America. This study claimed that a difference between male homosexuals and heterosexuals was found in the anterior commissure, a structure that divides the left and right halves of the brain. The authors found that the anterior commissure was larger in women and homosexual men than in heterosexual men. This was a group statistical difference, however: the size of the anterior commissure in 27 of the 30 homosexual men actually fell within the range of sizes found among the 30 heterosexual men. As did LeVay, these authors used brain samples obtained preponderantly from men who died of AIDS, introducing another uncontrolled variable into their work.{4}

The only other study to examine morphological differences in the anterior commissure--published in 1988 and not mentioned by the press--found, in part, precisely the opposite. Namely it found that the anterior commissure was larger in men than in women.{5}

The Brain's Structure Changes with Use

Even if actually present, however, the discovery of brain differences per se is on a par with the discovery that athletes have bigger muscles than nonathletes. For though a genetic tendency toward larger muscles may make it easier to become an athlete, and therefore one will more likely become an athlete, becoming an athlete will also certainly give one bigger muscles. The layperson, encouraged by press accounts, is apt to assume that brain differences must be innate and unchangeable, especially differences in the number of cells as contrasted with the simple volume occupied by a collection of cells. We tend to think of mind as "software" and brain as "hardware," the former plastic and changeable, the latter fixed at birth. We have used this analogy already to good advantage. But the analogy breaks down at a certain point. Various processes go on throughout life: the selective death of brain cells in response to training or trauma, the establishment of new connections between cells, dramatic increases or decreases in the "thickness" of connections between cells as a result of learning, the loss of interneuronal connections through "pruning." Very unlike our modern computers, the brain's software is its hardware. We know from animal studies that early experience, and especially traumatic experience (this has special pertinence with respect to the childhood histories of male homosexuals as we will discuss later), alters the brain and body in measurable ways. Thus infant monkeys who are repeatedly and traumatically separated from their mothers suffer more or less permanent alterations in both blood chemistry and brain function.{6} A similar piece of research on homosexuals with a similarly indeterminate meaning is the recent finding of a protein--an Alpha1-Antitrypsin variant--in the blood of homosexual, but not heterosexual men. Again, we have no way of determining whether this is an innate or an acquired difference, or whether it is even replicable.{7} There is a major current theory about the developmental causes of depression and the interaction of genetics with development. It claims that under conditions of early trauma, a genetically based susceptibility to stress creates a greater vulnerability to intense stress-responses later in life.{8} Furthermore, this "vulnerability" is represented physiologically as measurable alterations in the brain. Because what constitutes "stress" depends on one's subjective interpretation of events, the brains in individuals with the same genetically determined biology may respond quite differently. One may demonstrate no brain changes; another may demonstrate very significant changes.{9}

Some Lifestyle-Induced Brain Changes

Likewise, in individuals who became blind as adults and then learned Braille, the part of the brain governing the right index finger became progressively enlarged. And just this year, researchers reported measurable increases in brain tissue associated with learned sexual activity in rats.{10}

The editor of Nature commented on the LeVay research:

Plainly, the neural correlates of genetically determined gender are plastic at a sufficiently early stage.... Plastic structures in the hypothalamus allowing the consequences of early sexual arousal to be made permanent might suit [those who claim an environmental origin to homosexuality] well.{11}

And of course all this presumes that the research itself was of high quality. Was it? Writing in Technology Review, published at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, two prominent geneticists commented on the quality of the LeVay research. Paul Billings and Jonathan Beckwith write: LeVay "could not really be certain about his subject's sexual preferences, since they were dead."{12} His "research design and subject sample did not allow others to determine whether it was sexual behavior, drug use, or disease history that was correlated with the observed differences among the subjects' brains."{13} LeVay's very method of defining homosexuality was very likely to "create inaccurate or inconsistent study groups."{14}

Firmer and more rigorous findings than these are nonetheless sure to be forthcoming because all aspects of human behavior are influenced by our genetic makeup...Almost all, however, tell us nothing about origins, nor of the range of freedom of expression we have apart from influencing factors.

Thus we can guess that we probably will find genetic factors that correlate with homosexuality. But we should not even call such factors "an innate predisposition." In the proper and precise language of science, they are merely "risk factors."

Higher Levels of Distress: The Result of Homophobia?

Homosexuals have a greater incidence of mental illness, particularly depression and suicide, than do heterosexuals. Activists quickly explain that this connection implies neither a necessary psychological nor a necessary biological link between homosexuality and depression. They argue, rather, that suicidal depression is the unsurprising effect on otherwise healthy individuals who have to live a closeted existence in an abusive and hostile society.

We have heard this kind of argument before. It has long been obvious that parental divorce is associated with both severe distress and later behavioral problems among children. Until recently, however, no scientific studies were available to "prove" this painfully obvious point. In the name of eliminating any harm to children, the divorce industry in the seventies put forth the "progressive" idea that the stigma attached to divorce caused the distress, not the divorce itself. If divorce was normalized, they claimed, the children would walk away unscathed. Actually, they said further, the children would be improved, for they would not suffer the trauma of being reared and cared for by un-self-actualized and less-than-totally-personally-fulfilled parents.

Science has finally caught up with years of experience and common sense. Numerous studies now confirm that divorce inflicts lifelong damage on children far greater than that caused by parental unhappiness. Even the divorce experts are beginning to recant their earlier claims.{15}

The same social-stigma theory is not only used to explain why so many homosexuals are unhappy, it is even used to explain why so many homosexuals remain unhappy about being homosexual--gay liberation notwithstanding. They label that unhappiness as itself a "symptom," or in the more politically correct literature as "internalized homophobia:"

... membership of [sic] a stigmatized minority sexuality may exacerbate causes of sexual dysfunction. The effects of discordant lifestyle and identity, homosexual identity formation, dyshphoria and internalized homophobia on sexual functioning are three examples of these factors of specific relevance to being homosexual in this culture. The effects of AIDS, difficulties arising from the mechanics of safer sex and the psychosexual effects of oppression on healthy sexual functioning all indicate how factors important to (but not caused by) minority sexual status may influence sexuality functioning.}16}

The Prevalence of Sexual Abuse in the Childhoods of Homosexuals

The self-serving explanation for homosexual distress, however, is undermined by what we now know about the terrible effects of childhood trauma on the emotional well-being of adults. Many studies demonstrate a sadly disproportionate extent of sexual abuse in the childhoods of homosexual men, suggesting at the least that both homosexual unhappiness and homosexuality itself derive from common causes, and that unhappiness is therefore an inherent accompaniment of homosexuality:

From May 1989 through April 1990, 1,001 adult homosexual and bisexual men attending sexually transmitted disease clinics were interviewed regarding potentially abusive sexual contacts during childhood and adolescence. Thirty-seven percent of participants reported they had been encouraged or forced to have sexual contact before age 19 with an older or more powerful partner; 94 percent occurred with men. Median age of the participant at first contact was 10; median age difference between partners was 11 years. Fifty-one percent involved use of force; 33 percent involved anal sex. Black and Hispanic men were more likely than white men to report such sexual contact. Using developmentally based criteria to define sexual abuse, 93 percent of participants reporting sexual contact with an older or more powerful partner were classified as sexually abused. Our data suggest the risk of sexual abuse may be high among some male youth, and increased attention should be devoted to prevention as well as early identification and treatment.{17}
    The same is true for pedophiles:
    The association between perpetration of sexual abuse and the offender's own victimization as a child has been well documented in the literature. Various researchers have examined this relationship by assessing the exclusiveness of the sexual abuser's behavior, the gender of his victims and the gender of his own childhood abuser.... Subjects were 135 pedophiles ... who admitted to their offenses. A total of 42 percent of pedophiles ... reported being sexually victimized in their own childhoods .... [and] appear to choose their age-specific victims in accordance with the age of their own experience of sexual victimization. Although the cause of child molestation remains undetermined, these results support social-learning and modeling theories.{18}

Is Social Disapproval the Cause of Distress Among Both Pedophiles and Homosexuals?

In spite of its superficial appeal and the activists' repeated claims, no studies support the hypothesis that the social disapproval of homosexuality is the prime cause of the high levels of internal distress evident in homosexual populations even long before AIDS. (That social stigma would cause some distress, is of course the small kernel of truth upon which the exaggeration is built.) Such studies as the one cited immediately above suggest that both the high levels of emotional distress, as well as homosexuality itself, have at least one common root in painful childhood experiences, in the same way that other deviations from the sexual norm (such as pedophilia) likewise do. It makes just as much sense to claim that the high levels of psychological abnormality and personal distress found among pedophiles are due solely to the social disapproval of pedophilia.

While there is zero proof that homosexual behavioral preference can be revealed through a brain scan, there have been countless attempts to claim "scientific studies" show brain colors reveal behavioral disorders such as alcoholism, sexual addiction, etc.

But even assuming a brain scan can indentify a behavioral character trait, there is no way to link it to genetics or environment. Unless a gene is isolated that establishes behavioral identity as a gentic identifier, it is simply not scientific conclusions at all.

But even assuming it is genetically marker identified as such, and I do not believe it ever will be, making such a link doesn't make a behavior a virtue, anymore than lack of sexual control or sexual addiction or a heavy substance abuse is a behavioral virture. "Because I was born this way and my behavior is compulsive or hormonal" does not make it a virtue.

As for the Bible, you can use it to support just about any stance you want to take.

Not true, despite your attempt to use it to support current cultural values.

As for the passage you sited and have attempted to distort, there are multiple passages in both the old and new testament on the subject. 

Timothy 1:8-11

In reality, your attempt to "use/misuse the Bible to support your stance" is intellectually dishonest and driven by an attempt to engender approval/tolerance for the behavior. Given the popular support for the behavior as an identity, you are preaching to the cheerleaders on this site.

I don't have a problem with a 12 year old child "taking a stand". I do have a problem with adults using a 12 year old child to cloak a political issue agenda with the cover of bullying, that is not motivated by a concern for the lives of all people victimized by bullying.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Gay brains structured like those of the opposite sex

Brain scans have provided the most compelling evidence yet that being gay or straight is a biologically ... The team next used PET scans to measure ... If you can prove a physical link to ...

www.newscientist.com/article/dn14146-gay-brains-structured-like-those-of-the-opposite...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

The new scientist is not an authority on the subject and there is no "proof" to back up this statement. You selected one stilted and intellectually dishonest soruce to advance your claim. "Studies have shown" is not science.

Now, Tom, when is Pedroia coming off the DL?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Swedish studies, bank on those.

Interesting, but how do they know that the brain changes don't occur after a period of time practicing gayness (sorry for the awkward phrasing, caffeine hasn't kicked in). I'd think they'd have to image the brains of fetuses and compare them in later life to consider this "proof." Also, why didn't they also study bisexual people?  Comment from this linked website from scoop Tom.

Also, Tom, let's pretend that this is science, you don't know what the word means, and that a brain scan can identify whether a person is born with genitically disposed sexual attraction to the same sex. Does genetic disposition to a behavior make it a virtue? Or does it make it a mitigating factor when considering the reason by the behavioral disorder?

Tom, what did your brain scan reveal on your your sexual behavioral identity? If you haven't had one, are you going to have it done in Sweden, or volunteer for a scientific study in the United States?

I pray that you read Corinthians and Timothy 1, Tom, and best wishes to you.

Disregard the Pedroia DL comment, it was sarcasm. You meant well when you got that wrong.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

[QUOTE]Swedish studies, bank on those. Interesting, but how do they know that the brain changes don't occur after a period of time practicing gayness (sorry for the awkward phrasing, caffeine hasn't kicked in). I'd think they'd have to image the brains of fetuses and compare them in later life to consider this "proof." Also, why didn't they also study bisexual people?  Comment from this linked website from scoop Tom. Also, Tom, let's pretend that this is science, you don't know what the word means, and that a brain scan can identify whether a person is born with genitically disposed sexual attraction to the same sex. Does genetic disposition to a behavior make it a virtue? Or does it make it a mitigating factor when considering the reason by the behavioral disorder? Tom, what did your brain scan reveal on your your sexual behavioral identity? If you haven't had one, are you going to have it done in Sweden, or volunteer for a scientific study in the United States? I pray that you read Chorinthians and Timothy 1, Tom, and best wishes to you. Disregard the Pedroia DL comment, it was sarcasm. You meant well when you got that wrong.
    You're going to hell for that misspelling from the good book.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Just please shut the f^ck up about modern values & morals!

There is no such thing as "modern morals".

The anger in your incoherent ranting drive-by stalking manifests your own disturbance. My prayers for you. Peace.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

Stop bullying period. When we set ourselves apart whether it be race or sexual orientation we invite bullying because instead of saying we are the same we say we are different treat us different which breeds contempt. Should poor kids be bullied? Should fat kids be bullied? Should less attractive kids be bullied? I would say a lot more of those three groups commit suicide than gay kids who only make up 1% of our population(the 10% is horsecrap from the fraudulent Kenseyian society who are known for bullcrap studies of their own handpicked deviants) Besides if a kid acts like a sissy it should be called out in order to strengthen him.If you disagree with me you are obviously wrong and your kid is probably a fruit,and you are a closet fruit. Time to de-Obama this nation and John Wayne Up!

Sections
Shortcuts