15 games over

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

15 games over

This team is now 15 games over 500. That is pretty good for this point in the season. They could finish June 8 games over for the month or more realistically 6 games if they go 2 of 3.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Re: 15 games over

cool....thanks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

This team is now 15 games over 500. That is pretty good for this point in the season. They could finish June 8 games over for the month or more realistically 6 games if they go 2 of 3.

This is a good team. Not perfect, there are some missing pieces, but truly a good team. Very encouraging when you know that we also have some very promising prospects in the minors.  Personally , I think it would be a mistake to try and fill those missing pieces by trading off some of the prospects. That is too risky. Right now , I think we have shown that we can compete with the best. Our chances at a championship are just about as good as anybody's. And the future looks bright. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

[QUOTE]

This is a good team. Not perfect, there are some missing pieces, but truly a good team. Very encouraging when you know that we also have some very promising prospects in the minors.  Personally , I think it would be a mistake to try and fill those missing pieces by trading off some of the prospects. That is too risky. Right now , I think we have shown that we can compete with the best. Our chances at a championship are just about as good as anybody's. And the future looks bright. 

[/QUOTE]

There are no perfect teams, every team in the AL has flaws. With the trade deadline fast approaching the team that is the most aggressive in adding missing pieces could well be the one that finishes the year on top? The Sox have played well all year long. So to your point why not us?  Much will depend on the health of our starting pitching and figuring out the backend of the pen (closer role), which to me is the one major piece that must be addressed if we're I serious about making a run this year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I get the feeling BenC and JF would like to move Bailey. It's not that I don't think he can contribute, but I think, he thinks,  his teammates may not have 100 % confidence in him. I do believe relievers need to go someplace else to get a fresh start. I think Andrew is at that place. A team like the Cubs as a set-up guy or the closer.

Look at Melancon--he has been amazing for the Pirates---a .94 ERA a few saves but the set-up guy for Grilli and has closed a couple of games. He needed out of here so does Bailey.

BenC and JF have Rubby @ AAA and he just had a second straight shutout performance last night. 5 + innings, no walks, 6 K's. He's about ready --they just need to make room for him. 

Aceves is waiting and anxious I'm sure. 

What's with Mort?? I thought he was due off the DL-I saw he pitched the other night for the PawSox.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Gotta love MadMc44.  On a thread about how successful the Sox are, he wants to start a discussion about what's broken, namely, Bailey, and how to fix that problem, by getting rid of him.  Lester's lucky he had a pretty decent game last night, or MadMc44 would ship him to goodness knows where because ol' Jon has lost the confidence of his teammates.  Other candidates for the MadMc44 dumping machine:  Drew; Dempster; Victorino (injured too much); Doubront (too inconsistent); Buchholz (rides the DL all the time); Ortiz (achilles will never hold up); Farrell (has cost a bunch of wins by not making the right moves, whatever those were); Ben C (didn't get a good righty bat, a great starter, etc, etc). 

Just about everybody on this team has contributed, including Bailey.  He got 8 saves in 12 opportunities, and the Sox won 3 of the 4 games in which he blew saves, so overall Bailey has cost the Sox exactly one win. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to crimsonandclover's comment:

Good teams will be determined at the end of the marathon, not the halfway point. 

The stark short and long term weaknesses should receive attention, ignoring the halfway point position in a logam race that reflects the factual reality that every team in the AL East is in good position to make the playoffs or miss the playoffs. 

The weaknesses are:

1. Lack of an elite right handed slugger v. LP in a division and league where it's vital for a championship contender and a huge factor in making the playoffs

2. Absence of a career proven elite full season innings load starting pitcher

Weakness #2 isn't likely to change, even if Lester returns to form and Buchholz returns to pre-DL form. Lester and Buch are good starting pitchers, but Lester's career isn't a career that shows elite starting pitching talent, and Buch's slight physical stature has been a record of lack of endurance to produce enough innings to be an elite over the full workload starting pitcher

This team may be a feel good team, at the halfway point, but ignoring the weaknesses isn't the way to go.

The assumption that the top prospects need to be traded is based on the false assumption that the current  starters on the current active roster need to be retained. Both of the weaknesses can be improved in the trade market, by matching up with the Phillies or other teams who engage in a trade that leaves both teams with a better balance upon completion of the trade.

It's naive to make the claim "all the competition has flaws and we are currently in first place so let's just see what happens with what we have and just make a few superficial moves".  

The second vulnerability you cite is significant.  You need a horse to hitch your wagon to down the stretch, and it is unclear as to whether the Sox have that right now.  

The first vulnerability you cite is less significant.  In fact, the notion is a relic of a bygone era.  This line-up, applying pressure from every spot and able to hit lefties well overall, is not in desparate need for Manny Ramirez.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Good teams will be determined at the end of the marathon, not the halfway point. 

The stark short and long term weaknesses should receive attention, ignoring the halfway point position in a logam race that reflects the factual reality that every team in the AL East is in good position to make the playoffs or miss the playoffs. 

The weaknesses are:

1. Lack of an elite right handed slugger v. LP in a division and league where it's vital for a championship contender and a huge factor in making the playoffs

2. Absence of a career proven elite full season innings load starting pitcher

Weakness #2 isn't likely to change, even if Lester returns to form and Buchholz returns to pre-DL form. Lester and Buch are good starting pitchers, but Lester's career isn't a career that shows elite starting pitching talent, and Buch's slight physical stature has been a record of lack of endurance to produce enough innings to be an elite over the full workload starting pitcher

This team may be a feel good team, at the halfway point, but ignoring the weaknesses isn't the way to go.

The assumption that the top prospects need to be traded is based on the false assumption that the current  starters on the current active roster need to be retained. Both of the weaknesses can be improved in the trade market, by matching up with the Phillies or other teams who engage in a trade that leaves both teams with a better balance upon completion of the trade.

It's naive to make the claim "all the competition has flaws and we are currently in first place so let's just see what happens with what we have and just make a few superficial moves".  

Softy is back.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In fact, the notion is a relic of a bygone era.  This line-up, applying pressure from every spot and able to hit lefties well overall, is not in desparate need for Manny Ramirez.

The Detroit Tigers are the defending AL Champions. Fielder and Miggy aren't a "bygone era". 

We'll see how this "applying pressue from every spot and able to hit lefties well overall" does when this team plays it's last game of the 2013 season. 

Tigers, Rangers and Angels are better than the Red Sox, despite where the teams are after 81 games. 

The last team to truly apply pressue from every spot in the lineup and also had the elite combination in the middle of the order was the 2009 Yankees. The Red Sox of 2013 are too embarrassingly inferior to be compared to the 2009 Yankees or the 2004 or 2007 or 2008 Red Sox. 

That is perception and projection not reality.....you may be right, but there is nothing statistically to prove your point that any of those 3 teams are better than the Sox. Plus , once you use the term "embarrassingly inferior", you lose any credibility to speak on the matter, becasue a clear Bias is demonstrated.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

[QUOTE]

In fact, the notion is a relic of a bygone era.  This line-up, applying pressure from every spot and able to hit lefties well overall, is not in desparate need for Manny Ramirez.

The Detroit Tigers are the defending AL Champions. Fielder and Miggy aren't a "bygone era". 

We'll see how this "applying pressue from every spot and able to hit lefties well overall" does when this team plays it's last game of the 2013 season. 

Tigers, Rangers and Angels are better than the Red Sox, despite where the teams are after 81 games. 

The last team to truly apply pressue from every spot in the lineup and also had the elite combination in the middle of the order was the 2009 Yankees. The Red Sox of 2013 are too embarrassingly inferior to be compared to the 2009 Yankees or the 2004 or 2007 or 2008 Red Sox. 

That is perception and projection not reality.....you may be right, but there is nothing statistically to prove your point that any of those 3 teams are better than the Sox. Plus , once you use the term "embarrassingly inferior", you lose any credibility to speak on the matter, becasue a clear Bias is demonstrated.

[/QUOTE]

Tom,

If you're a true fan of the game how can you not be impressed with the current standing of the Boston Red Sox Baseball Club. Entering the season most of the pundits and many on this board spent the better part of the winter looking for reasons to bury this team (before they'd played one meaniful game). Alas here we are entering July atop the AL East playing .600 ball with a relatively healthy ball club and playing well. a stark contrast to last July when instead the team and we the fans were already resigned to playing out the string, while the band starting to play the swang song of wait til next year. In contrast, this years squad has managed to find themselves in the hunt. Now the same mediots and doom and gloomers are trying to now point to flaws that will prevent them from winning it all.  

That said, the Sox do have flaws, not unlike evey other team in the AL. I don't think anyone questions the Tigers as the team to beat in the AL and they have their share of issues too. Comparing a team that finished last the previous season to one that lost in the World Series and added to an already stout lineup. Only points to how far this team has come from the ashes. 

From where I sit the turn around in the clubs play on the field while noteworthy is secondary to the amazing job done by Cherington and Farrel in changing the clubhouse culture. Win, lose or draw, as a lifelong Red Sox fan after the drama that was the last few years. I have truly enjoyed the tenor of play by this years group and even if they fall short of winning it all (most likely senerio). Given the teams resources and the leadership of the afore mentioned duo the future looks bright.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

crimsonandclover softlaw is right about needing a good righty bat and the overall team weakness against lefties--see moonslav's stats over on his thread.  Ironically, Napoli is having a pretty good season so far but is better against righties than lefties.  In the first two games against Toronto the Sox beat up righty starters then went quiet against lefty relievers. 

That said, I have far less confidence than softy about trading for that righty bat this year and think the Sox already have two at Pawtucket--Bogaerts and Middlebrooks--who might eventually the solve the problem.  Why make bold trades when your team is leading the very tough AL East by 3.5 games? 

Meanwhile, it's worth nothing that Detroit has both items softlaw wants for the Sox--a terrific righty bat, right now the best in MLB and paired with a very good lefty bat (Fielder), and a superstud starter in Verlander.  But, despite being in a very weak division--only Cleveland is at .500 or better--the Tigers are well behind the Sox in the AL standings.  Yes, Detroit very recently took 3 of 4 from the Sox, but the Sox could very easily have taken 3 of the same 4 games but for Bailey in game 1 and that rotten call on Nava's catch in game 4.    Moreover, the Sox to date have played a much tougher schedule--more games overall and against better teams--than the Tigers. 

If Buchholz can get healthy and return to his 2013 form, you gotta like this rotation of Buchholz, Lackey, Lester, Doubront, and Dempster with Webster and Aceves in the wings. When he has been healthy this year, Buchholz has been both an innings eater, averaging 7 innings per start, and a stopper with 9 wins, no losses, and an ERA of 1.7. 

I agree the playoffs are different because just one or two really good starters can make a difference, but that's way down the road, plus Buchholz and Lackey/Lester might fill that bill.

Job one is getting into the playoffs, preferably as the AL East champ.  And right now the Sox are the team to beat despite not having Cabrera or Verlander or Pujols or Lee or Upton or whoever. 

This year, 2013, is the year of addition by subtraction--dumping three stars to the Dodgers and going with lesser folk--and team chemistry.  That's right, the Sox now have Napoli, an ex-catcher, in for AGon, a superb hitter and fielder, Nava, a late bloomer, in for Crawford the $20M a year leftfielder who was great at Tampa, and Dempster, the middle of the rotation guy, for the estimable Beckett, who in fact was a key factor in the 2007 season and playoffs and WS win (also the 2003 season for the Marlins).  Fortunately, Beckett declared Francona and Epstein to be excommunicated and was promptly executed by Cherington.  The Sox front office honchos know their history. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

A magnificent accomplishment, especially on the heels of last yr.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

15 games over .500....been there, done that, lost that, had some greasy chicken and beer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Sure there are areas of concern for sure but this team is pretty fun to watch. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

[QUOTE]

A magnificent accomplishment, especially on the heels of last yr.

[/QUOTE]

It is amazing that people bring up 2011, disregarding that this was a team that some people had as low as 75 wins. The turn around was crazy fast. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Boston is now at 49-33.  Last year, they won only 69 games. 

"What a difference a year makes." 

I'm sure the Yankees will agree with me.  LOL

Sections
Shortcuts