1967 vs 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

1967 vs 2013

2013 is as good as. NO ONE excpected 1967 and most laughed when Dick Williams said the team would win more than they lost that year. This year most if not all never saw better than a 500 record.

Since I was 17 in '67 and I am now 63 comparision of the teams stops at what we expected, which was little. One was led by the Captain the other by Big Papi

The '67 team was a lot of kids who we knew little about.

The 2013 team is a buch of players we thought we knew and were not overly impressed.

I am enjoying this season as much as '67 and more than '03, 04 and '07. just because of the unexpected coming true.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: 1967 vs 2013

Thanks, Jim.  I missed 1967--overseas.  I can't rate this season over 2004 because of how that one ended. 

But this has been one incredible season with, as you say, not a lot of expectations.  Ortiz is the one big gun, but these guys are like a battalion of artillery.  Just one surprise after another. 

Iglesias great, then gone.  Drew down, now up.  Ditto Gomes, Napoli up and down, Middlebrooks' humoungous comeback, etc.  Victorino much better than we expected.  Pedroia solid despite the injury.  Buchholz great, gone, back.  Hanrahan and Bailey--OK, then gone.  Ellsbury comeback, now in limbo.  Salty getting awfully good given his first year here.  Lester back.  Lackey back.  Peavy, almost a good reason to let Iglesias go.  Uehara, the second coming.  Nava so steady.  Carp.  Now a good look at Bogaerts, who ain't here on a publicity tour, but for his bat.  Doubront up and down and up and tired. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

2013 is as good as. NO ONE excpected 1967 and most laughed when Dick Williams said the team would win more than they lost that year. This year most if not all never saw better than a 500 record.

Since I was 17 in '67 and I am now 63 comparision of the teams stops at what we expected, which was little. One was led by the Captain the other by Big Papi

The 2013 team is a buch of players we thought we knew and were not overly impressed.

I am enjoying this season as much as '67 and more than '03, 04 and '07. just because of the unexpected coming true.

For me nothing will ever replace 04, I'll take that one to the grave. But this years RS team has exceeded all expectations. Some yrs things just go right, seems RS have had a few yrs where nothing went right so maybe this is payback in some sense. Farrell worked out, Nieves worked out, FA signings worked out, kids from the farm worked out, guys put in different roles [Uehara] worked out. No matter how this year finishes this was a succesful season. But the great thing is the future for RS is very bright, not many were saying that at this time last yr!       Go RS!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Yaz might not have known it then, but to this day I believe that Dick Williams made him the player that he became

The only problem with this idea is that Yaz had committed himself to a strenuous offseason, which had nothing to do with Dick Williams. And that also was when Yaz adjusted his swing to pull the ball more, which was why his HR total bumbed up to 44, which again had nothing to do with Williams.

Williams was the right manager at the right time for the Sox, but his impact was more on the younger players. I know it impresses you that Williams showed who was boss by stripping Yaz of the captaincy, but Yaz could care less.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Nothin will top 04' for me.  1967 was a pretty special year for a lot of reason so I think I have to go with that year, plus I was a whole lot youngerWink

This year has been an unexpected and pleasant suprise and I'm enjoying the ride!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I think most saw this team being more then 500. Other then that, I agree with your sentiment JimfromFlorida. One difference between the two teams is that this years team is much better at pitching and pitching wins championships.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

2004 was expected after 86 years?  Jimbo, gain some perspective. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to BigPapiforever's comment:

Nice post but not even close.  The 67 players earned less than the current concession worker.  The 67 players could be found working out at the local ymca.  The 67 team played most games in front of an empty park including the night they clinched. 

That team is special and did it without trainers and much money and without thinking about next year's contract.  Guys like Yaz and Tony C are in a class all by themselves.

I agree with most of your post but this is the attendance for the last game of the season.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I agree on the last game. If I remember correctly it was a doubleheader with the Twins and Yaz went 8 for 12 or something ridiculous like that to clinch it at the end.

I was a 12 year old kid tearing up little league and becoming a fan at the same time, listening to the sox on the radio up in Maine because we didn't get them on TV much. The tragedy of Tony C that year was heartbreaking and had a big impact on fans. And there were a lot of exciting young players like Reggie Smith and such. But Yaz carried that freaking team on his back all year long with a triple crown and tremendous OF D in LF. He was a mega star, super hero that year and I get emotional just remembering it to this day. What a year! 

Top 4 WAR years of all time were 3 by Babe Ruth in the 1920's and Yaz in 1967. Highest single year WAR total than any other players in history. Not Redsox history. All of baseball history. Making Willie Mays and Rogers Hornsby etc... look like pikers. Yaz played out of this world. He was like he was the star of the Damm Yankees movie where the guy sold his soul to the devil to be the greatest player in the world. He wasn't human. He was a God!

If that entire season was available on DVD for $500 I'd buy it and watch it again. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

I agree on the last game. If I remember correctly it was a doubleheader with the Twins and Yaz went 8 for 12 or something ridiculous like that to clinch it at the end.

I was a 12 year old kid tearing up little league and becoming a fan at the same time, listening to the sox on the radio up in Maine because we didn't get them on TV much. The tragedy of Tony C that year was heartbreaking and had a big impact on fans. And there were a lot of exciting young players like Reggie Smith and such. But Yaz carried that freaking team on his back all year long with a triple crown and tremendous OF D in LF. He was a mega star, super hero that year and I get emotional just remembering it to this day. What a year! 

Top 4 WAR years of all time were 3 by Babe Ruth in the 1920's and Yaz in 1967. Highest single year WAR total than any other players in history. Not Redsox history. All of baseball history. Making Willie Mays and Rogers Hornsby etc... look like pikers. Yaz played out of this world. He was like he was the star of the Damm Yankees movie where the guy sold his soul to the devil to be the greatest player in the world. He wasn't human. He was a God!

If that entire season was available on DVD for $500 I'd buy it and watch it again. 

I was at the second to the last game with my family, it was a day to remember!  In 2007 the sox released the DVD of the game I was at.  It is fun to watch!

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

For me, the difference is night and day...

...Although the 2013 has had its share of 'Kardiac' endings, and Ben Cherington looks like a freakin genius putting this team together, while the '67 team was something else...

...the original 'Kardiac Kids' were just that a bunch of unknown kids, led by Yaz in his prime and Lonborg on the mound. Part of my affection for that season was that I was just a young kid of 11 and the '67 team turned me and many other New England kids and adults on to the pro game in Boston, before that all I cared about was collecting baseball cards and playing it on the local field.

I don't remember the final games being a doubleheader, as someone mentioned...I think Detroit and Chicago or LA were the ones playing the doubleheader. I remember all of Boston and the Sox players listening in on the 2nd game when Detroit lost and they won the pennant.

After the Sox and Lonborg won the last game against the Twins the teams went right to the World Series...no playoff rounds.  Too bad, that was their demise, as St Louis was able to line up Gibson to pitch 3 games in the series while Boston had to use Lonborg on short rest in game 7...it was the ultimate difference.

With all this said, NOTHING tops 2004 and that 1st championship in 86 years...finally winning it all and beating the Yanks after being down 3 games to none in the ALCS was just incredible. The celebration in Boston with the 1st duck boat parade which I was able to witness was pretty cool also.

Lets hope for another parade in 2013. The first step to getting that is almost complete.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Part of my affection for that season was that I was just a young kid of 11 and the '67 team turned me and many other New England kids and adults on to the pro game in Boston, before that all I cared about was collecting baseball cards and playing it on the local field.

Exactly!

Because the Sox were so bad, for so long, the Impossible Dream year was the perfect hook for am entire generation of Sox fans.

My parents were both Sox fans, but I never saw them as excited about baseball, as they were that summer.

We even listened to parts of some of the games on the radio, at school.

But, while '67 was the introduction to the Sox, for a lot of us, in my book, nothing beats 2004.

Beating the Yankees in nail-biting fashion, after getting beat the same way, the year before, was icing on the cake.

We'll be lucky to see another postseason that had that kind of roller coaster ride.

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

For me, the difference is night and day...

...Although the 2013 has had its share of 'Kardiac' endings, and Ben Cherington looks like a freakin genius putting this team together, while the '67 team was something else...

...the original 'Kardiac Kids' were just that a bunch of unknown kids, led by Yaz in his prime and Lonborg on the mound. Part of my affection for that season was that I was just a young kid of 11 and the '67 team turned me and many other New England kids and adults on to the pro game in Boston, before that all I cared about was collecting baseball cards and playing it on the local field.

I don't remember the final games being a doubleheader, as someone mentioned...I think Detroit and Chicago or LA were the ones playing the doubleheader. I remember all of Boston and the Sox players listening in on the 2nd game when Detroit lost and they won the pennant.

After the Sox and Lonborg won the last game against the Twins the teams went right to the World Series...no playoff rounds.  Too bad, that was their demise, as St Louis was able to line up Gibson to pitch 3 games in the series while Boston had to use Lonborg on short rest in game 7...it was the ultimate difference.

With all this said, NOTHING tops 2004 and that 1st championship in 86 years...finally winning it all and beating the Yanks after being down 3 games to none in the ALCS was just incredible. The celebration in Boston with the 1st duck boat parade which I was able to witness was pretty cool also.

Lets hope for another parade in 2013. The first step to getting that is almost complete.

The last 2 games were against the twins but its not marked as a DH. I wasnt born yet, so I couldnt say for sure.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/schedule.php?y=1967&t=BOS

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

so Bill if I understand what your sayin, you were at the tender age of 18 swabbin the deck of that tin can back in 67 right? what this means is that back in 67 I was at the tender age of 19 and getting ready to enlist. what I wanted to ask you is if you ever saw the picture of yaz and dick williams in his office both puffin on a butt chit chatting.......it was a great shot.

GO NAVY!

Yaz might not have known it then, but to this day I believe that Dick Williams made him the player that he became

The only problem with this idea is that Yaz had committed himself to a strenuous offseason, which had nothing to do with Dick Williams. And that also was when Yaz adjusted his swing to pull the ball more, which was why his HR total bumbed up to 44, which again had nothing to do with Williams.

Williams was the right manager at the right time for the Sox, but his impact was more on the younger players. I know it impresses you that Williams showed who was boss by stripping Yaz of the captaincy, but Yaz could care less.

Roy19er .....   Your right, Yaz worked hard that offseason to get speed & strength in his swing......  However, please don't downplay the effect that D W had on his growing up that year.......  D W was "the boss" even though YAZ always had "PAPA TOM'S ear"  !!!!

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to BigPapiforever's comment:

Nice post but not even close.  The 67 players earned less than the current concession worker.  The 67 players could be found working out at the local ymca.  The 67 team played most games in front of an empty park including the night they clinched. 

That team is special and did it without trainers and much money and without thinking about next year's contract.  Guys like Yaz and Tony C are in a class all by themselves.

Actually the 1967 Red Sox led the American League that year in attendance with over 1.7 million.  Jerry Remy has said that 1967 was the year the Sox became a different franchise, a successful franchise that could continue to appeal to fans at Fenway and on TV. 

Curt Flood changed MLB forever when he successfully challenged the reserve clause.  Before him the average player made 7 times as much as the average fan.  Afterward, it became 7 X 7 times as much and today might even be 100 times as much.  But MLB is a long ways from going broke, so maybe that's what those guys are worth. 

I missed the entirety of the 1967 season because I was overseas.  When I looked it up on google, I found out that was the August when Tony C got beaned, which proved to be the beginning of the end of a great career cut short--something not to celebrate.   

Yes, players today are "overpaid," but that does not prevent most of them from playing hard and loving the game as much as their predecessors.  The 2004 Sox were paid a lot more than the 1967 Sox, it's true, but I thought they played with plenty of enthusiasm and professionalism.  Same goes for this year's model. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I was agreeing with you right up to the part where you enjoyed an overachieving bunch gaining redemption over the team that broke the Curse.  Lost me after that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Roy19er .....   Your right, Yaz worked hard that offseason to get speed & strength in his swing......  However, please don't downplay the effect that D W had on his growing up that year.......  D W was "the boss" even though YAZ always had "PAPA TOM'S ear"  !!!!

Bill~

You are correct.  The sox were not a team who cared about winning.  The were a group of guys who enjoyed being part of a club who went through the motions.

Williams came in an kicked their butts.  He let them know the "boys club" was over and he expected them to work hard.  Yaz did keep himself in shape, that is true, but williams was the  task master who made sure yaz and the rest of them worked hard. 

Sections
Shortcuts