1978 all over again

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBfan67. Show BBfan67's posts

1978 all over again

The worst collapse since they lost in 1978. Worst pieces of this puzzle are as follows

DMac automatic out
    Connor Jackson another scrap heap
    Jed Lowrie biggest whiner beside Kevin Useless
    Kyle Weiland
    Michael Bowden pitches like he's at a carnival
    Andrew Miller
    Tim Wakefield-Thank you for the past NOT present
    I could go on but you get the point!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Re: 1978 all over again

If the Sox don't hold on, it is time for both Terry and Theo to go.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

In Response ;to 1978 all over again:
    [QUOTE]The worst collapse since they lost in 1978. Worst pieces of this puzzle are as follows DMac automatic out Connor Jackson another scrap heap Jed Lowrie biggest whiner beside Kevin Useless Kyle Weiland Michael Bowden pitches like he's at a carnival Andrew Miller Tim Wakefield-Thank you for the past NOT present I could go on but you get the point!!!!
    Posted by BBfan67[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I thought this might have acutally been a constructive thread...Revionist history...To many only recall how the Sox managed to blow a 14 game lead in August...Few however remember the Yanks lost 3 or 4 game lead in the last two weeks of the season. that was then....

Pointing out the flaws on this team is easy pickings...Make no mistake the Sox have played poorly in the month of September or rather pitched poorly all month for a myriad of reasons...

I think if we managed to hold on and make it to the postseason or not moving forward Epstein needs to figure out why since 2008 we can't seem to finish with a healthy roster and more so why we seem to enter then month with a pitching staff that's be asked to take the ball with compromised stuff...

Sorry but something's amiss....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

conditioning for this team the last couple of years...has been questionable.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Best.Team.Evah. Show Best.Team.Evah's posts

Too bad the playoff game would be in Tampa.  At least it would be easy to get tickets.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Exactly Beantowne.  The Sox went 12-2 down the stretch to come back and tie the Yanks.  Far different than this year. 

Even the playoff game was a microcosm of the season.  Red Sox jump out to a lead, Yanks come roaring back about 2/3 of the way through the game, Sox close and almost nip them at the end. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

The answer is an easy one...this team, as currently constituted, has no mental toughness at all...not at all.....you can tell they think they will lose tight games and they do....

For all the cash they throw around on useless players you might expect them to grab a warrior or two...instead they have losers like the emotionless millstone Drew....No tough guys or leaders on this team at all...NONE....and when you had a team with guys like Damon, they just knew how to get it done...

Wakefield has got to retire...that whole effort to get 200 was a sad joke, and I think has contributed to this teams poor performance during August and September....he's done, you got 200, now GO!

And let's not forget the one word that typifies this years collection of the "Sons of Tito"....C-H-O-K-E !!!!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Not even close. That team won its final eight  games to force a playoff. That team won 99 games.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

How about marginal minor league call-ups starting in big games. Sprowl in 78 against Yanks and Weiland against Rays with predictable results.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FredMertz. Show FredMertz's posts

Too bad the playoff game wouldn't be in Fenway.  At least seats will be available in Tampa.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In Response to Re: 1978 all over again:
    [QUOTE]Not even close. That team won its final eight  games to force a playoff. That team won 99 games.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

You are so right Lloyd....no comparison. The 78 team was not considered the  favorites that year....The Yankees were the defending world champions and had won the last two pennants....the team got out to an uncomcious start in the first half,,,,,and then did what everyone always says when a team has a huge lead....it played .500 ball(actually 2 over I think) in the second half.....but that wasnt good enough to hold off a Yankee team which had a great second half. That team by the way never had a lead bigger than 10 games.....it was just 14 over the Yankees who were in 3rd place, This years team is way more disappointing to me because we all expected so much more from them. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

In Response to 1978 all over again:
    [QUOTE]The worst collapse since they lost in 1978. Worst pieces of this puzzle are as follows DMac automatic out Connor Jackson another scrap heap Jed Lowrie biggest whiner beside Kevin Useless Kyle Weiland Michael Bowden pitches like he's at a carnival Andrew Miller Tim Wakefield-Thank you for the past NOT present I could go on but you get the point!!!!
    Posted by BBfan67[/QUOTE]

"Jed Lowrie biggest whiner beside Kevin Useless"

Are you kidding?  Are you really going to throw Youkilis under the bus like that?  He's having a tough season injury wise and now all the sudden he's a whiner?  Did you hurt yourself jumping off the bandwagon?  Besides Pedroia or maybe Ortiz, the last RS I want to see at the plate with the game om the line is Youkilis.  Until this season he has been great defensively for the RS and lets not forget that he switched positions at 32 going back to a much more difficult position.  Youkilis should be te last guy that gets called out for anything.

Geez, man up alrerady.  It's baseball, it's a long season and stuff happens.  Oh, .. and by the way it ain't over yet.  I guess you've been  a card carrying member of the Nation since what mid November 2004?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 1978 all over again : You are so right Lloyd....no comparison. The 78 team was not considered the  favorites that year....The Yankees were the defending world champions and had won the last two pennants....the team got out to an uncomcious start in the first half,,,,,and then did what everyone always says when a team has a huge lead....it played .500 ball(actually 2 over I think) in the second half.....but that wasnt good enough to hold off a Yankee team which had a great second half. That team by the way never had a lead bigger than 10 games.....it was just 14 over the Yankees who were in 3rd place, This years team is way more disappointing to me because we all expected so much more from them. 
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

Tom...the biggest difference is that the 78 team was healthy...the Yanks just ran them down to make a race of it...this team is not healthy...Where do you think the 78 team finishes if Rice (Youk) goes on the DL for most of the second half. Let alone had Torres (Buccholz) and Lee (Matusaka) missed most of the year due to injury...

Health in my mind is our biggest concern and has been for 3 or 4 years...it's inexplicable how quicky our pithing fell apart in September...

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/statmaster.php?l=AL&team=&ALteam=BOS&NLteam=&AAteam=&FLteam=&PLteam=&UAteam=&y=1978&sopt=ALPHA&stats%5BGS%5D=1&stats%5BSV%5D=1&stats%5BHLD%5D=1&stats%5BCG%5D=1&stats%5BIP%5D=1&stats%5BERA%5D=1&stats%5BL%5D=1&stats%5BW%5D=1&a=Get+Stats

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 1978 all over again : Tom...the biggest difference is that the 78 team was healthy...the Yanks just ran them down to make a race of it...this team is not healthy...Where do you think the 78 team finishes if Rice (Youk) goes on the DL for most of the second half. Let alone had Torres (Buccholz) and Lee (Matusaka) missed most of the year due to injury... Health in my mind is our biggest concern and has been for 3 or 4 years...it's inexplicable how quicky our pithing fell apart in September... http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/statmaster.php?l=AL&team=&ALteam=BOS&NLteam=&AAteam=&FLteam=&PLteam=&UAteam=&y=1978&sopt=ALPHA&stats%5BGS%5D=1&stats%5BSV%5D=1&stats%5BHLD%5D=1&stats%5BCG%5D=1&stats%5BIP%5D=1&stats%5BERA%5D=1&stats%5BL%5D=1&stats%5BW%5D=1&a=Get+Stats
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Great Point Bean. Health has definitely been a huge issue. Do you think our health issues are bad luck.....coincidental......or is there some reason for it,...poor training staff....poor conditioning by the players.....poor medical staffthey seem to have made numerous misdiagnosis...though not as much as the Mets....could the field condition play into it....Fenway has always been known as a rock hard infield....could the mound play into why so many of ourpitchers get back injuries.....all just questions....I have no idea, but we need to figure it out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Beatowne,

Great graph.  I don't think they were as healthy as we think, though they were far heathier than this years squad.  I remember watching Burleson get hurt in Cleveland (ankle?) and he wasn't anything like he was in the first half.  Fisk had to be dead on his feet.  Francona may rest his guys too much, but Zimmer was the opposite, he rarely rested anyone.

Fisk's line is sick.  He played the field in 154 games, starting 151 of them and led the team in innings played.  The following lists him as having played left field as well as catching, but I'd guess that was very limited, especially since Bob Montgomery only played in 10 games all year.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BOS/1978.shtml

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 1978 all over again : Great Point Bean. Health has definitely been a huge issue. Do you think our health issues are bad luck.....coincidental......or is there some reason for it,...poor training staff....poor conditioning by the players.....poor medical staffthey seem to have made numerous misdiagnosis...though not as much as the Mets....could the field condition play into it....Fenway has always been known as a rock hard infield....could the mound play into why so many of ourpitchers get back injuries.....all just questions....I have no idea, but we need to figure it out.
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

To me though this might be met with scorn...there's no coincedence it must be related to the use of PEDS or lack thereof...Remember it was the winter of 2007 when the mitchel report was released and then soon after congress got invloved...that is when selig and Fuhr were forced to sit down and that spring is when the new steriod testing program got ramped up (2008 season)...

It was also soon there after that the list of the 104 that tested positive started to be leaked and since, although I think peds are still in use. I don't see them being abused any longer...