1b and 3b solutions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Re: 1b and 3b solutions

IMO Middlebrooks would be an outstanding 1st baseman.  He is tall, athletic, has good hands and quick reaction at 3rd.  How does that not translate into a good 1st baseman.  The problem is SS for next year.  Drew will not be signed and Bogearts will be the SS.  If XB can play 3rd this season I am sure WM can play 1st.  The downside is his projected stats that someone posted earlier.  WM has a terrible obp....Nap is alot better even though he is a K machine.  WM is also a K machine if you project the numbers.  So in conclusion Nap stays at 1st.  Bog comes up and gets his feet wet in sept. and hopefully helps out the team at 3b and SS.  What we really need is Buch back pitching well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Mchampion's comment:

IMO Middlebrooks would be an outstanding 1st baseman.  He is tall, athletic, has good hands and quick reaction at 3rd.  How does that not translate into a good 1st baseman.  The problem is SS for next year.  Drew will not be signed and Bogearts will be the SS.  If XB can play 3rd this season I am sure WM can play 1st.  The downside is his projected stats that someone posted earlier.  WM has a terrible obp....Nap is alot better even though he is a K machine.  WM is also a K machine if you project the numbers.  So in conclusion Nap stays at 1st.  Bog comes up and gets his feet wet in sept. and hopefully helps out the team at 3b and SS.  What we really need is Buch back pitching well.

But WMB is the better defender at 3B....why would you play 2 guys out of position?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

bogaerts just hit a 3-run HR. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

When Sparky Anderson managed the Tigers, he had a CF named Mickey Stanley.

Stanley was switched to SS for the1972 World Series, and did very well.

He had no prior experience at SS in years (9 games at SS in 1968).

Well, he fielded his position flawlessly, and batted .333.

This was a manager rolling the dice at a peak moment, and the player coming through.

I'm sure good athletes like Middlebrooks and Bogaerts could easily lean a new position, much like Manny Machado did last year.

Ultimately, the Sox may want Cecchini at 3rd, with Bogaerts at SS and Middlebrooks at 1st base. Middlebrooks' strikeouts are an overrated stat. Look at Mike Schmidt, the greatest 3rd baseman ever. His stats in his first couple of year were pathetic. He worked on his game and became great.

Time will tell on Middlebrooks, but I think he's gotten the message.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

First of all, you cannot have two differnt guys who played in their natural position for many years and then try to move them to another position that they have never play before at the same time.  If you are going to try to experience two guys for the next season at the same time Ben did not resign Drew or sign any first baseman, who can back them up if both struggle or one struggle?????

I would try to resign Drew before trying to experience Bogaret at the SS.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to rightymclefty's comment:

When Sparky Anderson managed the Tigers, he had a CF named Mickey Stanley.

Stanley was switched to SS for the1972 World Series, and did very well.

He had no prior experience at SS in years (9 games at SS in 1968).

Well, he fielded his position flawlessly, and batted .333.

This was a manager rolling the dice at a peak moment, and the player coming through.

I'm sure good athletes like Middlebrooks and Bogaerts could easily lean a new position, much like Manny Machado did last year.

Ultimately, the Sox may want Cecchini at 3rd, with Bogaerts at SS and Middlebrooks at 1st base. Middlebrooks' strikeouts are an overrated stat. Look at Mike Schmidt, the greatest 3rd baseman ever. His stats in his first couple of year were pathetic. He worked on his game and became great.

Time will tell on Middlebrooks, but I think he's gotten the message.

Great points! CF's are very similiar to SS's in that they are usually the most athletically talented guys on a team.  I'd have very little doubt that any SS could play most other positions in a pinch (except C, and maybe 1B if they are too short)

However I think Cecchini may be more slated for the outfield or 1B.  He may ultimately be more offensively gifted than WMB, but everything I've heard about his defense has him as a fringe average 3Bman while WMB has a lot of talent and the ability to be an above average defender at the hot corner. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

But WMB is the better defender at 3B....why would you play 2 guys out of position?

I am not so sure Middy is a better 3Bman than Boggy. Middy struggled this year on defense as well as offense. Perhaps, with more play at 3B over his career, Middy may be better at this moment, but I am guessing that if Boggy was moved to 3B fulltime, maybe within a year, he'd be equal or better than Middy on defense at 3B. If not, then Boggy could be moved to 1B eventually.

There are some decent 1Bman bridge type free agents this year. I don't see any that can also play 3B, which would be nice, but it might be easier to resign Drew (I can't believe I'm saying that), put Boggy ay 3B (Middy back-up) and put Middy at 1B (Carp/Nava/Papi back-up). Either that or try and get one of these guys to agree to a 1 year deal: K Morales, Morneau, Morse, Konerko, Loney, or even Youk, Pena, Reynolds, Kotchman or Hafner as back-ups for Middy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I am not so sure Middy is a better 3Bman than Boggy. Middy struggled this year on defense as well as offense. Perhaps, with more play at 3B over his career, Middy may be better at this moment, but I am guessing that if Boggy was moved to 3B fulltime, maybe within a year, he'd be equal or better than Middy on defense at 3B. If not, then Boggy could be moved to 1B eventually.

There are some decent 1Bman bridge type free agents this year. I don't see any that can also play 3B, which would be nice, but it might be easier to resign Drew (I can't believe I'm saying that), put Boggy ay 3B (Middy back-up) and put Middy at 1B (Carp/Nava/Papi back-up). Either that or try and get one of these guys to agree to a 1 year deal: K Morales, Morneau, Morse, Konerko, Loney, or even Youk, Pena, Reynolds, Kotchman or Hafner as back-ups for Middy.

Moon I respect your posts and I consider you one of thee best and brightest posters in here but what is you obsession (I use the term obsession losely) with Bogaerts at 1B?  You don't move a guy like Bogaerts to first base unless he stinks elsewhere.  Middlebrooks throughout his pro career has been an oustanding defender, he looked bad earlier this year but I suspect his problems at the plate carried over to the field.

I wont argue that Bogaerts could one day be a better 3Bman only because he is such a great athlete, but he has the athleticism and the arm to play almost any place on the diamond...why would we want to waste that on the field?  I wouldn't mind seeing him there for a year if that was his path to the majors but he adds so much more value as a SS 3B OFer.  I think as long as Bogearts can play the position he sticks at SS, especially with Iggy gone.  I really like the idea of him and WMB playing next to each other.  But Bogaerts athleticism coupled with our lack of outfield depth leads me to believe that if Bogaerts moves off SS then either him or WMB goes to LF. 

Then again if you are talking 10 years down the line if Boggy really keeps growing then perhaps I'm wrong, and I think the Sox will definitely pick from that group of bridge players. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Nice! Batting avg in Pawtucket up to .299 now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I can't find fielding stats for AAA PawSox but I seem to remember reading that XBo had 12 errors in the time he has been with the PawSox. Whether 3 B or SS---that's a lot of errors--naturally based on the number of chances, etc. Drew has had only 3 or 4 errors in approx. 100 games--that's amazing for a SS playing that many games. Pedroia has about the same number.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

Nice! Batting avg in Pawtucket up to .299 now.

You know what has really impressed me about Bogaerts following his minor league career the last 3 years?  I've seen him struggle when promoted like many prospects do but he makes the adjustments and he makes them QUICK.  you see guys like reddick who would take a whole season in Double A to adjust and guys like WMB, while very talented is taking about a full year to adjust.....Bogaerts adjusts in a matter of weeks.  This is why he is 20 in AAA on the cusp of a major league career and considered elite talent.  

He's going to be good.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

I can't find fielding stats for AAA PawSox but I seem to remember reading that XBo had 12 errors in the time he has been with the PawSox. Whether 3 B or SS---that's a lot of errors--naturally based on the number of chances, etc. Drew has had only 3 or 4 errors in approx. 100 games--that's amazing for a SS playing that many games. Pedroia has about the same number.

no one uses fielding % anymore.  Who cares if you boot 10 more balls if you get to 20 more, Nomar was an amazing SS with great range and an even better arm but he alway had a high number of errors.  

Bogaerts has above average range, not elite, not Iggy like but good enough to be average to above average at SS.  but his ARM is strong, which is why most scouts say he could just as easily move to the outfield rather than 3B if he ever grows off the position.

He's no Iggy but he's a good SS. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

My bet is Naps snaps out of it this home stand. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

This thread is beginning to drive home to me the possible ramifications of "the trade".  Most people - myself included - would say that the trade was good for the team for this year.  I'm going to go out on a limb though and say that many (most?) of us who are/were opposed to the trade feel that way because it could do severe damage to the future of the team. 

That one sentence (highlighted above) drove home to me what Moon has been trying to say all along.  There just may not be money enough next year to field the competitive team we're accustomed to. 

Unless Middy proves he can play 3B the entire left side of the IF is bare going into next year.  How do we fill those spots?  Do we give Bogarts the SS position and tell him it's his to lose?  It's the cheapest solution but it may not be the best one. What if it doesn't work out?  What if both Bogarts and Middy don't work out?  Which BTW is not outside the realm of possibility, at least for half a season.   Middy went down and came back up, JBJ was up and is now down to work on his game.  These things happen.  And we have no backup plan.

Is the FO going to reseve enough money to replace one of them... and if so, with whom?  And we're still going to need a 1B (Carp probably due to financial restraints) and a catcher, and this doesn't begin to address the issue of Ellsbury's FAgency. 

I'm beginning to see a scenario where "the trade" costs us both Iggy AND Ellsbury and in the process sticking the team with three players with little-to-no ML experience.  It's looking more and more like those people who kept saying, "Bring up the kids!" are going to get their way.  Let's just hope it works. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon I respect your posts and I consider you one of thee best and brightest posters in here but what is you obsession (I use the term obsession losely) with Bogaerts at 1B?  You don't move a guy like Bogaerts to first base unless he stinks elsewhere.  Middlebrooks throughout his pro career has been an oustanding defender, he looked bad earlier this year but I suspect his problems at the plate carried over to the field.

First, my biggest obsession, if that's what you want to call it, is having a tremendous fielder at the SS position. By all accounts, Boggy is not a tremendous fielder. Working from those two points, one can easily see my readiness to move Boggy. I am not alone in this position. Virtually every baseball site has some kind of mention that Boggy will or might be better suited at another position. The prevailing thought is that he is tall and will "fill out". Many sites have mentioned 3B as his probable destination in the major leagues. I haven't made this up out of some twisted fantasy.

Second, I do not know who is the better fielding 3Bman out of Middy, Boggy and Cecchini. I suspect Ben and Sox scouts have a better idea of that than I do. These players are all young and still growing, but fielding issues are usually the easiest to project going forward. That being said, I am guessing that Bogaerts can become better at 3B than Middy very quickly. 3Bmen often aare moved to 1B. It might be the easiest transition from one IF slot to another there ie. I am not saying Middy is terrible at 3B based on his troubles there in a small sample size earlier this year, although I did here he was struggling on D at AAA too (unconfirmed). From scouting reports, Middy is a good fielder, but that doesn't mean Boggy will be worse. I think Middy projects better as a 1Bman than Boggy as well, hence my guess that Boggy at 3B and Middy at 1B might be the best future for this combo of players. 

Third, Cecchini might bump somone out of their slot, if he is a better fielder. Middy may slump again and never become a FT'er. If Middy ends up declining and Cecchi is better at 3B, I'd think about moving Boggy to 1B or maybe OF.

I do not think it would hurt to give Boggy some reps at 1B in AAA over the next 2 weeks. I do not want to throw Boggy at 1B this year, but if Naps and carp and Nava keep slumping, he may be the only hope to get production out of a position every other contender is getting.

I wont argue that Bogaerts could one day be a better 3Bman only because he is such a great athlete, but he has the athleticism and the arm to play almost any place on the diamond...why would we want to waste that on the field?  

I want a better fielding SS and Boggy at 3B. It's that simple. 1B only comes into play if several thinks happen down the line.

I wouldn't mind seeing him there for a year if that was his path to the majors but he adds so much more value as a SS 3B OFer.  I think as long as Bogearts can play the position he sticks at SS, especially with Iggy gone.  I really like the idea of him and WMB playing next to each other.  But Bogaerts athleticism coupled with our lack of outfield depth leads me to believe that if Bogaerts moves off SS then either him or WMB goes to LF. 

Middy to 1B makes more sense than Middy to LF, especially since we have no future at 1B right now.

Then again if you are talking 10 years down the line if Boggy really keeps growing then perhaps I'm wrong, and I think the Sox will definitely pick from that group of bridge players.

Iget the net value of having a SS who rakes. We gain over almost every other MLB club on offense at a position other teams have sub .700 hitters. However, 3B is not the hitting position it used to be. Boggy could dominate that position as well, and we can maybe find a great fielding SS who hits well enough for Ben to keep. (Marrero?)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to S5's comment:

This thread is beginning to drive home to me the possible ramifications of "the trade".  Most people - myself included - would say that the trade was good for the team for this year.  I'm going to go out on a limb though and say that many (most?) of us who are/were opposed to the trade feel that way because it could do severe damage to the future of the team. 

That one sentence (highlighted above) drove home to me what Moon has been trying to say all along.  There just may not be money enough next year to field the competitive team we're accustomed to. 

Unless Middy proves he can play 3B the entire left side of the IF is bare going into next year.  How do we fill those spots?  Do we give Bogarts the SS position and tell him it's his to lose?  It's the cheapest solution but it may not be the best one. What if it doesn't work out?  What if both Bogarts and Middy don't work out?  Which BTW is not outside the realm of possibility, at least for half a season.   Middy went down and came back up, JBJ was up and is now down to work on his game.  These things happen.  And we have no backup plan.

Is the FO going to reseve enough money to replace one of them... and if so, with whom?  And we're still going to need a 1B (Carp probably due to financial restraints) and a catcher, and this doesn't begin to address the issue of Ellsbury's FAgency. 

I'm beginning to see a scenario where "the trade" costs us both Iggy AND Ellsbury and in the process sticking the team with three players with little-to-no ML experience.  It's looking more and more like those people who kept saying, "Bring up the kids!" are going to get their way.  Let's just hope it works. 

you do realize we have a crap load of money to spend + almost an entire MLB ready rotation in Pawtcuket next year right?

http://soxprospects.com/2014.htm

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfanwest. Show soxfanwest's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

I'm as tired as anyone is of watching Napoli strike out.  He's a Major League hitter with ML skills and ML coaches helping him, so why can't he break out of this??  I hvae no idea but I still think it's related to the dizziness spells he had at the beginning of the year.  He was a hitting machine before that and has turned into a strikeout machine since.  I DO feel badly for the guy though.  A player knows when he's hurting the team.

But let's not lose track of the fact that while he may have kept the Sox from winning in regulation last night he also may have saved the game with his defense.  Napoli made two outstanding plays in crucial situations that certainly contributed to the win, plays that many 1B wouldn't have made.

Which brings me to the comment above that anyone can play 1st base. That's absolutely true.  Anyone can.  But not anyone can play it well and a good defensive 1B makes the entire IF better.  A good defensive 1B executes the tag play well and digs balls out of the dirt.  A good 1B allows the rest of the IF to know that if they can get the ball to the area of 1B it's going to be an out.  That allows them to come up firing and not take that split second to think about having to make a 'perfect throw'. 

At one time the Sox had a SS who converted to 3B named John Montgomery who washed out of baseball because he had 1B with stone hands covering the bag.  Montgomery lost confidence in his ability to throw the ball becaue he got charged with errors on balls in the dirt that a good 1B would have scooped out. And things went progressively downhill from there....

IMO a solid defensive 1B is a cornerstone of a team.  He makes the entire IF better.

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Good post.

I don't see Middlebrooks or even Carp, making the defensive plays that Napoli made last night.

I'm sorry, but 1B requires the least amount of athleticism on the diamond......almost every 1Bman is just a good hitter who didn't have the defensive ability to play another position.  I'm not saying that ANYONE can play it, and it doesn't require skills (digging balls out of the dirt etc etc etc)  But a kid who plays the most physically demanding position should be able to play it.

As a general rule, short stops are the most athletic players on any team (although some CF's might give them a run for their money).  So there is no reason to believe someone else couldn't learn the position and play it at a servicable level rather quick. 

I'm sorry, but I guess you've never played first base a day in your life. As far as I know it's just as

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

no one uses fielding % anymore.  Who cares if you boot 10 more balls if you get to 20 more, Nomar was an amazing SS with great range and an even better arm but he alway had a high number of errors.  

Bogaerts has above average range, not elite, not Iggy like but good enough to be average to above average at SS.  but his ARM is strong, which is why most scouts say he could just as easily move to the outfield rather than 3B if he ever grows off the position.

He's no Iggy but he's a good SS. 

I never felt like Nomar was an "amazing SS". He was a lot of flash. His jumping twisting throws from the hole were largely unnecessary and prone to throwing errors. He did have a range factor in the 4.6's for a while, but I just never thought he was all that great. Maybe it was all the hype that caused a bit of a letdown. He wasn't bad, until the end... 3.84 RF/9 in 2004 with the Sox.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

you do realize we have a crap load of money to spend + almost an entire MLB ready rotation in Pawtcuket next year right?

After all the arb signings and Lester's option, we should have about $40M to spend. That sounds like a "crap load", but we have at least 5 major slots to fill, and FAs are not cheap:

CF

SS

3B

1B

C

RP?

Sox4ever

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

After all the arb signings and Lester's option, we should have about $40M to spend. That sounds like a "crap load", but we have at least 5 major slots to fill, and FAs are not cheap:

CF

SS

3B

1B

C

RP?

Sox4ever

Yes but when you slot Bogaerts in at SS WMB in at 3B and JBJ in at CF.....that leaves far less holes.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to soxfanwest's comment:

I'm as tired as anyone is of watching Napoli strike out.  He's a Major League hitter with ML skills and ML coaches helping him, so why can't he break out of this??  I hvae no idea but I still think it's related to the dizziness spells he had at the beginning of the year.  He was a hitting machine before that and has turned into a strikeout machine since.  I DO feel badly for the guy though.  A player knows when he's hurting the team.

But let's not lose track of the fact that while he may have kept the Sox from winning in regulation last night he also may have saved the game with his defense.  Napoli made two outstanding plays in crucial situations that certainly contributed to the win, plays that many 1B wouldn't have made.

Which brings me to the comment above that anyone can play 1st base. That's absolutely true.  Anyone can.  But not anyone can play it well and a good defensive 1B makes the entire IF better.  A good defensive 1B executes the tag play well and digs balls out of the dirt.  A good 1B allows the rest of the IF to know that if they can get the ball to the area of 1B it's going to be an out.  That allows them to come up firing and not take that split second to think about having to make a 'perfect throw'. 

At one time the Sox had a SS who converted to 3B named John Montgomery who washed out of baseball because he had 1B with stone hands covering the bag.  Montgomery lost confidence in his ability to throw the ball becaue he got charged with errors on balls in the dirt that a good 1B would have scooped out. And things went progressively downhill from there....

IMO a solid defensive 1B is a cornerstone of a team.  He makes the entire IF better.

Good post.

I don't see Middlebrooks or even Carp, making the defensive plays that Napoli made last night.

I'm sorry, but 1B requires the least amount of athleticism on the diamond......almost every 1Bman is just a good hitter who didn't have the defensive ability to play another position.  I'm not saying that ANYONE can play it, and it doesn't require skills (digging balls out of the dirt etc etc etc)  But a kid who plays the most physically demanding position should be able to play it.

As a general rule, short stops are the most athletic players on any team (although some CF's might give them a run for their money).  So there is no reason to believe someone else couldn't learn the position and play it at a servicable level rather quick. 

I'm sorry, but I guess you've never played first base a day in your life. As far as I know it's just as

Yes I never played a day of first base in my life I guess all my points must be invalid.

I played 3B. 

and I don't even know what " As far as I know it's just as" means

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The only position I see the Sox going out and spending on is C RP and 1B.

They likely won't really spend any money at 1B.  Worst case scenario they will spend around 10-13 Million on a one year contract, a relief pitcher will cost very little if they go the FA route and I can see them spending someone where in 10-15/yr range at catcher.....

And with more money coming off the books next year I doubt they have any real financial issues going into the next two seasons. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Moon - the Scouting on Bogaerts at first base is mixed.  I'm not 100% sure he will be a SS, and I'm comfortable saying that.  I've heard a lot of scouts say his defense has vastly improved their but I saw him play there twice this year.  The first time he looked very fluid and like a legit MLB ss, the other time he looked very sloppy and not that good at all.  There's obviously a mix of opinion....but it appears the Sox are comfortable with him there for 2014.  He's still just 20 and just like Iggy was rushed to the bigs with his defense with his bat still developing the same may be true for Bogaerts.

If he does outgrow the position then perhaps 3B is his best spot.  If Bogaerts bat is what it's supposed to be or even relatively close he should play the position on the field he plays best.  Nomar might not of been the greatest example but my point was errors and fielding % have entirely way to much weight put into them.  I don't care if a guy boots a ball 10 more times than average if he gets to 10 more balls than the average SS.  If he has a stronger arm than an average SS then he's beating more guys to the bag with his throw.  

I'm not saying Bogaerts is gonig to be a SS, I'm just saying that the scouting at this point should be more telling than the stats.  If the scouting says the range, hands and arm is there....then I'll take that over his fielding percentage. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

CF

SS

3B

1B

C

RP?

Sox4ever

I agree Moon.  40m will get you a couple of good players but we need to fill 5.  I think the kids are going to be first choice to move into 3b, SS, CF (unless something great is on the market).  Signing of a good 1st baseman and pitcher if there is something out there is a priority.  We will need a power bat sooner than later too, Papi is still crazy good but for how much longer can he do it? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to soxfanwest's comment:

Good post.

If you want to mudsling to make a point....I'll play along.  My guess is you've never played first base in your life, either that or YOU WERE a firstbaseman but never played above the highshcool level.  When you reach the pro's the critera is much different.  It's all about your body type, level of athleticism, first step, arm strength, ability etc etc etc.  Some guys are just built differently and have the capacity to do or never do certain things.  I like basketball, I was never as good as I was at wrestling/boxing and baseball but I liked it.  I could practice basketball all day everyday and be taught by Michael Jordan but I would never be able to dunk...I don't have the Genes to be able to jump that high.

This is why Catchers get drafted and moved to LF or 2nd Base, they are played were they feel their athletic abilities will be best.  In professional baseball by far and large most 1Bman to some extent are guys that can really hit that ultimately failed or outgrow another position......that's basic baseball knowledge. 

Sections
Shortcuts