1b and 3b solutions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: 1b and 3b solutions

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

The only position I see the Sox going out and spending on is C RP and 1B.

They likely won't really spend any money at 1B.  Worst case scenario they will spend around 10-13 Million on a one year contract, a relief pitcher will cost very little if they go the FA route and I can see them spending someone where in 10-15/yr range at catcher.....

And with more money coming off the books next year I doubt they have any real financial issues going into the next two seasons. 

I am sure we will see some kids fill 2 or 3 of the 6 open slots: CF (JBJ), C (Lava/Vazquez), 1B (Middy- Carp/Nava), SS (Boggy/Holt), and RP (several options), but I do think we spend big to fill the need for at least one of our biggest two weaknesses we've had for years:

1) A power RH'd bat to protect Papi and take over the middle of the line-up when Papi retires.

2) A true ace pitcher.

I don't see many free agents to fill these two roles, so it may have to come via trade. That means some of the prospects may not be around to fill some of the slots listed.

If this is not done, then we may spend big on Ellsbury and a catcher (McCann or Salty), and back fill the rest with inhouse options plus maybe a guy like Morales or Morse on a short deal.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to Mchampion's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

you do realize we have a crap load of money to spend + almost an entire MLB ready rotation in Pawtcuket next year right?

After all the arb signings and Lester's option, we should have about $40M to spend. That sounds like a "crap load", but we have at least 5 major slots to fill, and FAs are not cheap:

CF

SS

3B

1B

C

RP?

Sox4ever

I agree Moon.  40m will get you a couple of good players but we need to fill 5.  I think the kids are going to be first choice to move into 3b, SS, CF (unless something great is on the market).  Signing of a good 1st baseman and pitcher if there is something out there is a priority.  We will need a power bat sooner than later too, Papi is still crazy good but for how much longer can he do it? 

[/QUOTE]

Are we talking about having three positions, 3B, SS & CF being manned by two players with <1/2 a season of ML experience and the third without a sniff of it??

Actually I see that as a worst-case scenario.  It's looking to me now like we may have enough money to either fill either 3B or SS and give the remaining postion to a "kid",  and spend the rest on catching, 1B or pitching... OR we could have enough to sign Ellsbury and take our chances on just about everything else. 

The more I think about it the more I think we s--'d the pooch with this trade, not for this year but for the future. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

The only position I see the Sox going out and spending on is C RP and 1B.

They likely won't really spend any money at 1B.  Worst case scenario they will spend around 10-13 Million on a one year contract, a relief pitcher will cost very little if they go the FA route and I can see them spending someone where in 10-15/yr range at catcher.....

And with more money coming off the books next year I doubt they have any real financial issues going into the next two seasons. 

I am sure we will see some kids fill 2 or 3 of the 6 open slots: CF (JBJ), C (Lava/Vazquez), 1B (Middy- Carp/Nava), SS (Boggy/Holt), and RP (several options), but I do think we spend big to fill the need for at least one of our biggest two weaknesses we've had for years:

1) A power RH'd bat to protect Papi and take over the middle of the line-up when Papi retires.

2) A true ace pitcher.

I don't see many free agents to fill these two roles, so it may have to come via trade. That means some of the prospects may not be around to fill some of the slots listed.

If this is not done, then we may spend big on Ellsbury and a catcher (McCann or Salty), and back fill the rest with inhouse options plus maybe a guy like Morales or Morse on a short deal.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I think Salty/McCan will be one of our big signings....maybe one more.  I'd say we spend big on a pitcher but I don't see anyone worth spending on.  I wouldn't be surprised if we see the Adrian Gonzalez trade for a pitcher.  If the Sox have faith in WMB they may be inclined to deal Cecchini + one of our top pitchers and few other lower prospects for a top of the rotation starter.  1B I definitely see a Napoli(esq) signing like a Morales or a Morse.  

If we do spend big on Ellsbury do you think this makes JBJ expendable?  I'd like to see us keep him, but if there isn't a need in CF anymore I'd be ok with packaging him up for an ACE. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I don't think we spend anything on pitching this offseason.  we have 6 starters and almost an entire AAA staff of prospects.  When in the past have we had 4-5 starters ready to close to ready in AAA?  I can't ever think of a time. 

I also know there is a lot of skepticism about having a team that is heavy in rookies...but we haven't had this much young MLB talent this good since I can remember.  We've always had one or two guys but never this plethora of young talent.

We've literally sat around for years jealous at what TAMPA BAY would do with rookies and young talent and for the first time in my lifetime we have that PLUS the veteran presence of Dustin Pedroia, David Ortiz, Jon Lester, Clay Buccholz, and the other veterans who will be here next year.  Sprinkle in a guy like McCann and maybe a relief pitcher and I think we could be built to be a VERY good team not just next year but for years to come. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

2014:

I think they will pick up Lester's Option and consider trade options especially if he has an okay next two months.

CF---JBJ

RF---Victorino

LF----Xman

3B---Middlebrooks

SS---Drew--or Holt, if Drew gets a long term deal  elsewhere.

2B--Pedroia

1B--Loney---Nap will walk--no QO--he may take it .

C---Ross and Vazquez( This will be the bat the team will carry). I think they let Salty walk.

DH--Ortiz

Bench: Carp, Gomes, Vazquez, Nava. Nava has had 3  HR's and 21 RBI in June, July, Aug.--they may look to move him. Yes I realize his BA has been in the .280 range in that same time. 

There is a relief pitcher for the Astros from Taiwan--Chia-jen Lo, Age 27, RH--that pitched very well against thhe Sox last week. I could see the Sox making a move for him perhaps putting a package of a couple of young kids including a pitcher or two. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon - the Scouting on Bogaerts at first base is mixed.  I'm not 100% sure he will be a SS, and I'm comfortable saying that.  I've heard a lot of scouts say his defense has vastly improved their but I saw him play there twice this year.  The first time he looked very fluid and like a legit MLB ss, the other time he looked very sloppy and not that good at all.  There's obviously a mix of opinion....but it appears the Sox are comfortable with him there for 2014.  He's still just 20 and just like Iggy was rushed to the bigs with his defense with his bat still developing the same may be true for Bogaerts.

I never saw any 1B scouting reports on Boggy. Besides, it's 3B I think he will end up at.

I'm not saying Boggy can'y be a decent fielding SS. My "obsession" is having a great fielding SS, and since we have openings at 3B and 1B this winter, my prefeence is to go with Boggy at 3B and give Middy/Carp the job as platoon 1Bmen, and Middy can spell Boggy at 3B when he needs rest and when he is spelling our new SS (or Drew).

If he does outgrow the position then perhaps 3B is his best spot.  If Bogaerts bat is what it's supposed to be or even relatively close he should play the position on the field he plays best.  

My guess is he plays 3B best (relative to the rest of the league).

Nomar might not of been the greatest example but my point was errors and fielding % have entirely way to much weight put into them.  I don't care if a guy boots a ball 10 more times than average if he gets to 10 more balls than the average SS.  If he has a stronger arm than an average SS then he's beating more guys to the bag with his throw.  

I agree 100%, and that was my big argument for making Iggy our FT SS since the start of 2012. I don't see Boggy as having plus range. Not bad, but not plus.

I know I am biased in the area of SS range.

I'm not saying Bogaerts is gonig to be a SS, I'm just saying that the scouting at this point should be more telling than the stats.  If the scouting says the range, hands and arm is there....then I'll take that over his fielding percentage. 

I have seen recent reports, and while they do say he is improving, they still mention him eventually moving to 3B or elsewhere. That's classic scout talk for saying that he is not spectacular at his current position. It often is a polite way of saying a player is a net minus at his current position, but with Iggy, I think it's about his size and projected "filling out" of his body.

I think Ben will start Boggy at SS next year and hope MIddy can stay at 3B for a year or two. Maybe later he shuffles things around. Personally, I'd start the shuffle as soon as practical. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I don't think we spend anything on pitching this offseason.  we have 6 starters and almost an entire AAA staff of prospects.  When in the past have we had 4-5 starters ready to close to ready in AAA?  I can't ever think of a time. 

I also know there is a lot of skepticism about having a team that is heavy in rookies...but we haven't had this much young MLB talent this good since I can remember.  We've always had one or two guys but never this plethora of young talent.

We've literally sat around for years jealous at what TAMPA BAY would do with rookies and young talent and for the first time in my lifetime we have that PLUS the veteran presence of Dustin Pedroia, David Ortiz, Jon Lester, Clay Buccholz, and the other veterans who will be here next year.  Sprinkle in a guy like McCann and maybe a relief pitcher and I think we could be built to be a VERY good team not just next year but for years to come. 

I'd rather have Price or Moore over any of our starters.

We need to move from quantity to quality- top quality.

I do not see a FA pitcher out there- Kuroda & Garza are not really aces, so it may have to come by trade. We may have to trade Lester & Lackey for prospects, then trade prospects for a real ace. It won'y be easy, so I think this winter, Ben will focus on filling the big RH'd bopper slot. I'm not talking McCann either, although we may get him and a bopper, and let Ellsbury go.

I find it hard to believe Ben will go in house with 3 or more of the 6 open positions, and in terms of which slots are most likely to be left to in system solutions, I'd rank them this way for 2014 only- not beyond:

SS or 3B: whichever Bogaerts plays.

CF: JBJ (Victorino as back-up)

1B: Carp/Middy (Nava & Papi as back-ups)

3B (assuming Boggy plays SS): Middy/Holt/Snyder (Cecchini by Sept?)

RP: several options, including moving SP'ers to the pen

C: Ross/Lava/Vazquez

Ideally, we'd fill the big bopper-middle-order-hitter role at 1B, 3B or CF/RF.

We'd sign a catcher like McCann or Salty.

We'd sign a bridge player at corner IF if the bopper is an OF'er, or and OF'er if the bopper was a corner IF'er.

We'd sign solid defensive SS as the utility IF'er/late inning defensive replacement of in case we move Boggy to 3B mid season for various reasons, including Boggy can't field SS well enough for ML or Middy declines further and we need a 3Bman now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

2014:

I think they will pick up Lester's Option and consider trade options especially if he has an okay next two months.

CF---JBJ

RF---Victorino

LF----Xman

3B---Middlebrooks

2B--Pedroia

C---Ross and Vazquez( This will be the bat the team will carry). I think they let Salty walk.

DH--Ortiz

Bench: Carp, Gomes, Vazquez, Nava. Nava has had 3  HR's and 21 RBI in June, July, Aug.--they may look to move him. Yes I realize his BA has been in the .280 range in that same time. 

There is a relief pitcher for the Astros from Taiwan--Chia-jen Lo, Age 27, RH--that pitched very well against thhe Sox last week. I could see the Sox making a move for him perhaps putting a package of a couple of young kids including a pitcher or two. 

So, you are projecting being under the luxury limit by about $30M, and handing 5 slots to kids or guys like Loney. Besides, LF is well covered with a Nava/Gomes platoon, so why play XB out of position for that?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

completely agree....we have the pitching depth to make most teams jealous but we lack a true ace.  Aces rarely make it to free agency anymore.  I can see a big trade coming this offseason.  I wonder if the Dodgers would move Kershaw and we could extend him

The argument could be made that we match up perfectly with them.  They have a good team but have NOTHING behind there talent, we could give them a plerothra of minor league depth that could stock up their system.

If I had to guess, I'd say they have no intention on moving him, but in theory a match up in that form would be idea.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Moon---I would not be relying on Xman for SS. He may want to stay there but IMHO that position requires someone who would be solid from the start. Remember Yaz was a SS when he went to Raleigh, they switched him to 2 B then they had him in LF at his last minor league assignment to prepare him to take over for Ted Williams.

In my estimation--LF is his position---the way poor Nap is hitting though we could use him at 1 B   tonight. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This is not my choices, but I think Ben might go for something like this:

Sign: Kendrys Morales, Stephen Drew, Jesse Crain, and Brian McCann.

Trade: Lester or Lackey for good prospects.

Trade: Prospects from above, plus JBJ, Middlebrooks, and 2-3 pitching prospects for Stanton.

C: McCann/Ross  (Vazquez)

1B: K Morales/Carp/Papi (Nava)

2B: Pedroia

3B: Bogaerts (Holt/Snyder)

SS: Drew  (Boggy/Holt/Marrero)

LF: Nava/Gomes (Carp)

CF: Victorino

RF: Stanton (Nava/Brentz)

SP: Buch, Lester, Peavy, Doub, Demp, Morales (whoever not traded for Stanton)

RP: Uehara, Tazawa, Crain, Breslow, Miller, Bailey, others from the system

Line up

1) Victorino

2) Pedroia

3) Ortiz

4) Stanton

5) Morales

6) McCann

7) Nava/Gomes

8) Drew

9) Boggy

Sox4ever

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

[QUOTE]

2014:

CF---JBJ

RF---Victorino

LF----Xman

3B---Middlebrooks

2B--Pedroia

DH--Ortiz

So, you are projecting being under the luxury limit by about $30M, and handing 5 slots to kids or guys like Loney. Besides, LF is well covered with a Nava/Gomes platoon, so why play XB out of position for that?

[/QUOTE]

Loney has had a remarkable season--there was never a question about his glove. Perhaps getting him away from Maddon after only  i year won't put the "Maddon Whammy" on him as it does so many of their former stars. Drew would be my choice for SS but I think he will move on.

I honestly think NEXT YEAR LF would be patrolled nicely by Xander. I also think moving him to the OF will take some of the pressure off him rather than playing a high profile SS position. Nava may be ready for a change of scenery--I think he might be more valuable to another team. Gomes will be the LF/RF/Pinch hitter.  But this was suppose to be the bridge year, was it not? The young pitchers have had a chance to show what they can do --some young hitters have shown a little--I'm not adverse to moving some into positions of importance.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

That's a pretty disgusting lineup.  I agree with Boggy batting 9th....but I think we all know that if he becomes what we all hope he does he might slide in somewhere with Ortiz and Stanton....that's just an insane lineup.  I love it, I'd like to keep Middy but I'll take STANTON.

Boggy and Stanton next to each other for years to come is going to be fun to watch.  Hopefully Ortiz has a few years left in him; if he does we might have the scariest lineup for a few years. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon---I would not be relying on Xman for SS. He may want to stay there but IMHO that position requires someone who would be solid from the start. Remember Yaz was a SS when he went to Raleigh, they switched him to 2 B then they had him in LF at his last minor league assignment to prepare him to take over for Ted Williams.

In my estimation--LF is his position---the way poor Nap is hitting though we could use him at 1 B   tonight. 

I'm not "relying on XMan for SS". My whole point has been to move him to 3B.

Nava and Gomes make a good LF platoon. Nava hits righties well/Gomes hits lefties well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

That's a pretty disgusting lineup.  I agree with Boggy batting 9th....but I think we all know that if he becomes what we all hope he does he might slide in somewhere with Ortiz and Stanton....that's just an insane lineup.  I love it, I'd like to keep Middy but I'll take STANTON.

Boggy and Stanton next to each other for years to come is going to be fun to watch.  Hopefully Ortiz has a few years left in him; if he does we might have the scariest lineup for a few years. 

I agree. I actually think Boggy might bat 7th or 8th vs LHPs and 8th or 9th vs RHPs to start, but if he is who they think he will be, he'll be up 5th before we know it.

Then, next winter, we find that elusive ace we have been looking for.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

2015 FA class for pitchers

Brett Anderson (27) - $12MM club option with a $1.5MM buyout
    Homer Bailey (29)
    Josh Beckett (35)
    Chad Billingsley (30) - $14MM club option with a $3MM buyout
    Joe Blanton (34) - $8MM club option with a $1MM buyout
    Wei-Yin Chen (29) - $4.75MM club option with a $372K buyout
    Kevin Correia (34)
    Johnny Cueto (29) - $10MM club option with an $800K buyout
    Ryan Dempster (38)
    Yovani Gallardo (29) - $13MM club option with a $600K buyout
    Edgar Gonzalez (32)
    J.A. Happ (32) - $6.7MM club option
    Luke Hochevar (31)
    Hisashi Iwakuma (34) - $7MM club option with a $1MM buyout
    Jair Jurrjens (29)
    Kyle Kendrick (30)
    Clayton Kershaw (27)
    Aaron Laffey (30)
    John Lannan (30)
    Justin Masterson (30)
    Brandon McCarthy (31)
    Brandon Morrow (30) - $10MM club option with a $1MM buyout
    Charlie Morton (31)
    Jeff Niemann (32)
    Ross Ohlendorf (32)
    Felipe Paulino (31)
    Jake Peavy (34)
    Clayton Richard (31)
    Max Scherzer (30)
    Chris Volstad (28)
    Carlos Villanueva (31)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Homer Bailey (29)
    Josh Beckett (35)
    Kevin Correia (34)
    Ryan Dempster (38)
    Edgar Gonzalez (32)
    Luke Hochevar (31)
    Jair Jurrjens (29)
    Kyle Kendrick (30)
    Clayton Kershaw (27)
    Aaron Laffey (30)
    John Lannan (30)
    Justin Masterson (30)
    Brandon McCarthy (31)
    Charlie Morton (31)
    Jeff Niemann (32)
    Ross Ohlendorf (32)
    Felipe Paulino (31)
    Jake Peavy (34)
    Clayton Richard (31)
    Max Scherzer (30)
    Chris Volstad (28)
    Carlos Villanueva (31)

No way we outbid the Dodgers for Kershaw, but we do have a ton of doe coming off the books (and a lot of slots to fill).

I'm not sure Scherzer can sustain the ace status, and I'm sure the Tigers will try hard to keep him. 

Maybe a trade will be the way to find an ace.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

Homer Bailey (29)
    Josh Beckett (35)
    Kevin Correia (34)
    Ryan Dempster (38)
    Edgar Gonzalez (32)
    Luke Hochevar (31)
    Jair Jurrjens (29)
    Kyle Kendrick (30)
    Clayton Kershaw (27)
    Aaron Laffey (30)
    John Lannan (30)
    Justin Masterson (30)
    Brandon McCarthy (31)
    Charlie Morton (31)
    Jeff Niemann (32)
    Ross Ohlendorf (32)
    Felipe Paulino (31)
    Jake Peavy (34)
    Clayton Richard (31)
    Max Scherzer (30)
    Chris Volstad (28)
    Carlos Villanueva (31)

No way we outbid the Dodgers for Kershaw, but we do have a ton of doe coming off the books (and a lot of slots to fill).

I'm not sure Scherzer can sustain the ace status, and I'm sure the Tigers will try hard to keep him. 

Maybe a trade will be the way to find an ace.

[/QUOTE]

I actually think we'd have a better chance of throwing prospects at them and getting him this offseason....but I'd rather keep them and spend big on Scherzer.  Going to have to give both of them a big payday eitherway.   But if some of these youngs kids can plug up these holes for years to come I'd be ok with giving Scherzer that big payday. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Eventually, we'll have to go "big splash".

Just make sure it's the right guy this time!

Sox4ever

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

In response to razcreation's comment:

MIke Napoli is not the future. Middlebrooks and BOGAERTS are the supposed future and long term success. Napoli is hitting .246 with little power(14 hr's) and to many strikeouts.

So why not move Middlebrooks over to 1b and call up Xander BOGAERTS to play 3b.

I want that Cuban 1b.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from razcreation. Show razcreation's posts

I do not care if Middlebrooks plays 1b or 3b or Xander plays 1b or 3b. They are both young with lots of upside potential. I think you win and lose with your best. Napoli is not the answer esp. long term.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to razcreation's comment:

I do not care if Middlebrooks plays 1b or 3b or Xander plays 1b or 3b. They are both young with lots of upside potential. I think you win and lose with your best. Napoli is not the answer esp. long term.

I sincerely believe no one expects or is planning for him to be here come September. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Dodgers are going to make Kershaw the richest pitcher on this planet.   LOL

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

Bring in the baller fom Cuba.

The guy can mash.

Sections
Shortcuts