1st base coach Ron Johnson fired

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

1st base coach Ron Johnson fired

From ESPNBoston.com:

BOSTON -- The Boston Red Sox have relieved Ron Johnson of his duties as first-base coach, according to a team source.

Johnson, 55, spent 12 years in the Red Sox organization and served the last two seasons on former manager Terry Francona's staff.

Johnson joined the Red Sox in 2000 as a manager of Class A Sarasota before moving on to Double-A Portland. He also served as manager of Triple-A Pawtucket from 2005 to 2009 before being named first-base coach for the Red Sox prior to the 2010 season.

Johnson is the first member of Francona's staff to be fired from the team.

Johnson left the team in August 2010 and did not return for the remainder of the season after his daughter lost her leg in a near-fatal accident.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Re: 1st base coach Ron Johnson fired

In Response to 1st base coach Ron Johnson fired:
    [QUOTE]From ESPNBoston.com: BOSTON -- The Boston Red Sox have relieved Ron Johnson of his duties as first-base coach, according to a team source.  Johnson, 55, spent 12 years in the Red Sox organization and served the last two seasons on former manager Terry Francona's staff. Johnson joined the Red Sox in 2000 as a manager of Class A Sarasota before moving on to Double-A Portland. He also served as manager of Triple-A Pawtucket from 2005 to 2009 before being named first-base coach for the Red Sox prior to the 2010 season. Johnson is the first member of Francona's staff to be fired from the team. Johnson left the team in August 2010 and did not return for the remainder of the season after his daughter lost her leg in a near-fatal accident.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Pitching coach Curt Young should have been the first coach to be let go.
    For most of the season he stood in the dugout like a cardboard cutout.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

They may all be fired. The only one that has a prayer of surviving would be Magadan.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Much more to come on the firing front. RE: firstbase coach, isn't all they do is carry shin guards and batting gloves back to the dugout, wave a runner on to second (when the runner totally knows when to do this anyway OR runs through his signals....I don't think any runner having hit a gapper is running down the firstbase line staring at the firstbase coach) and say "back, back" when they suspect the pitcher is making a pick off move...oh and hit fungoes, etc. during pregame. Quite possibly the easiest job in baseball.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

Off with their heads, one and all...Theo too...SWEEEEEEEPPPP

SWEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPP

LMAO...

Then start with the boozers and non- hackers like thaT FAT PAPI , OLD MAN TEK AND YOUK THE WISEMOUTHED CINCI FOOL...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

Good to see them addressing the real problems for this team...who's next, the bat boy?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

In Response to Re: 1st base coach Ron Johnson fired:
    [QUOTE]Good to see them addressing the real problems for this team...who's next, the bat boy?
    Posted by jarretfromportsmouth[/QUOTE]

Well I believe they started with the manager but firing Johnson?  Who cares... I didnt even know he was the first base coach... they shouldnt fired the 3rd base and pithcing coaches too though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

There is not one person on this forum that did not think badly about Curt Young being brought in. ALL thought he was a huge upgrade over the past few years. Now all these weasels are coming out and say fire him.
    Did you ever think some of the pitchers just never listened to him.
    That maybe he was why Aceves. Paps, and Wheeler (sometimes) did so well.
    He was the guy that made all of the Oakland pitchers wanted by other teams.

Just saying Curt was considered a god send in ST and now a pariah.
    RS fans so damn fickle

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Bogar actually should have been the first one out the door! Johnson is a good guy and probably shouldn't have been released,like someone said earlier what did he get the shinguards wrong? The mutt manning third stunk so bad he made Kim look good!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]They may all be fired. The only one that has a prayer of surviving would be Magadan.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]I'd add Tuck to that list. Hale probably won't make it because the next manager will want his own bench coach and moving Hale back to third base where he had great feel for the job would be a slap. Bogar won't survive and it is hard to imagine Young either just based on the year.

But I think if Theo is here or Ben succeeds him, they lobby for Mags and Tuck.

It is all guess work here but because this was piece meal I am guessing Johnson did not want to be in limbo, pressed for answer so if he wasn't going to be back he could get into the market for another job sooner rather than later.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]There is not one person on this forum that did not think badly about Curt Young being brought in. ALL thought he was a huge upgrade over the past few years. Now all these weasels are coming out and say fire him. Did you ever think some of the pitchers just never listened to him. That maybe he was why Aceves. Paps, and Wheeler (sometimes) did so well. He was the guy that made all of the Oakland pitchers wanted by other teams. Just saying Curt was considered a god send in ST and now a pariah. RS fans so damn fickle
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

He's hardly a scapegoat. I pegged him back in May for the following:

Reduced velocity with key starters.
    Poor/erratic mechanics.
    Injuries - some of which possibly resulted from such.

Several pitchers talked about Farrell as a hard worker and good communicator.
    Excellent sounding board.

Ever hear a positive word about Young?

I'm guessing Johnson being the first to go was done so that when Young/Bogar get axed, it won't look like they were lone targets.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 1st base coach Ron Johnson fired : He's hardly a scapegoat. I pegged him back in May for the following: Reduced velocity with key starters. Poor/erratic mechanics. Injuries - some of which possibly resulted from such. Several pitchers talked about Farrell as a hard worker and good communicator. Excellent sounding board. Ever hear a positive word about Young? I'm guessing Johnson being the first to go was done so that when Young/Bogar get axed, it won't look like they were lone targets.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]I am not sure I get that logic. They fired a guy who had been in their system for 12 years and developed a lot of the guys playing today in AAA first to save face for Bogar and Young? Makes no sense.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

It does, Katz. It gives the appearance of showing no favoritism. It shows that accountability must be taken, even by those perhaps less guilty.

In a dirty analogy, a friend of mine lost his job due to age discrimination. They let a few others go to make it look good. It took 7 years and a lengthy law suit, but he got them for 6 figures.

Not accusing the FO of going to such extremes, but letting Bogar/Young walk first invites a flood of press scape-goating . That's my limited take.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

LOL. Until Epstein is gone, problem #1 has not been discarded.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to 1st base coach Ron Johnson fired : Pitching coach Curt Young should have been the first coach to be let go. For most of the season he stood in the dugout like a cardboard cutout.
    Posted by OnDeckCircle[/QUOTE]

Definitely agree with you about Curt Young.  He definitely should have been the first coach fired.  He didn't do anything to help the pitching staff this year. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Johnsons rep as a minor league manager was the same as Theo's.  Being a "I am your buddy" kind of guy that isn't hard on anyone.

Which way be the point of this move.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Wow the water is still running out the drain.....whoosh.  Will it ever stop?  Theo next?  Will John Henry....no .....Larry Lucchino dawn the unform next year and manage the good ship?  At this rate nobody will be left.  Fire the PA announcer, the organist, the peanut vendor (#72). 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

[QUOTE]Good to see them addressing the real problems for this team...who's next, the bat boy?
    Posted by jarretfromportsmouth[/QUOTE]

LOL.....LOL......LOL......very good "jarret"......Laughing

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]It does, Katz . It gives the appearance of showing no favoritism. It shows that accountability must be taken, even by those perhaps less guilty. In a dirty analogy, a friend of mine lost his job due to age discrimination. They let a few others go to make it look good. It took 7 years and a lengthy law suit, but he got them for 6 figures. Not accusing the FO of going to such extremes, but letting Bogar/Young walk first invites a flood of press scape-goating . That's my limited take.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Hey harness,

End of the day once the news of Francona's leaving was made public. Everyone of the current coaches knew full well that they likely were'nt going to be offered contracts for 2012. Thats SOP in the big leagues...Surprisingly Johnson was the 1st domino to fall because he was a long term organization guy...I'd suspect that Bogar is soon to follow, then Hale unless he's offered the managers job?

Bullpen, Hitting and Pitching coach positions are are all critical phylisophical organzinational coaching positions.

So I'd suspect that Young (a Francona hire) is likely gone...Unless they see him as someone who can take on the John Farrel orgnaizational pitching coach role?

Magadan is a guy that fits the above criteria and so too does Tuck...my guess is that both will be in the mix for the 2012 staff, much depends on whom we hire to manage and who he wants on his staff vs what the organizations needs are. The more seasoned the manager, they usaully have a network of guys they trust and want to surround themselves with like thinking coaches...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 1st base coach Ron Johnson fired : LOL.....LOL......LOL......very good "jarret"......
    Posted by lucbom[/QUOTE]

Thanks, just thought it was funny to see...John Henry "RSN, we are cleaning house".  hahaha.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

A new manager is going to want to bring in his own drinking buddies, I mean coaches.