1st major trade of the season- Brewers get Francisco Rodriguez from Mets

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

1st major trade of the season- Brewers get Francisco Rodriguez from Mets

From MLBTraderumors.com:

Brewers Acquire Francisco Rodriguez

The Brewers surprised some people by trading for Shaun Marcum and Zack Greinke last offseason and it turns out GM Doug Melvin wasn't done dealing for impact pitchers. The Brewers and Mets announced that Milwaukee has acquired Francisco Rodriguez and cash for two players to be named later.

K-Rod

“Francisco has been one of the best relievers in the game for many years,” Melvin said in a statement. “He is a high-quality arm who will be a tremendous asset to our bullpen as we prepare for the final months of the regular season and playoffs.”

The 29-year-old has a 3.16 ERA with 9.7 K/9, 3.4 BB/9 and a 52% ground ball rate in 42 2/3 innings of relief this year. Those aren't the only numbers that matter for Rodriguez and the Brewers, however. He has finished 34 games and a clause in his contract dictates that his $17.5MM option for 2012 becomes guaranteed if he finishes 55 games this season. Otherwise, the Brewers will face a $3.5MM option and Rodriguez will hit the open market.

Rodriguez, who signed a three-year $37MM free agent contract after saving 62 games in 2008, recently hired Scott Boras. The agent suggested earlier in the week that his new client would be unlikely to accept a trade to one of the ten teams on his no-trade list if it meant becoming a setup man. Melvin told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that manager Ron Roenicke will decide how to use Rodriguez and current closer John Axford depending on the situation.

It's not the first time that Melvin has made the first major trade of the summer. Back in 2008, he acquired C.C. Sabathia from the Indians in a deal that helped send the Brewers to the postseason for the first time since 1982. The 49-43 Brewers are now tied with the Cardinals atop the National League Central standings, one game ahead of the Pirates and four games ahead of the Reds.

Jon Heyman of SI.com first reported the move (Twitter links). For our instant take on the fantasy baseball ramifications of this deal for the Brewers and Mets, check out @closernews on Twitter.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: 1st major trade of the season- Brewers get Francisco Rodriguez from Mets

From MLBTraderumors.com:

For our instant take on the fantasy baseball ramifications of this deal for the Brewers and Mets, check out @closernews on Twitter.

I may be going to Hell in a bucket,but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Hey Mojo, since were talking saves here, anyway I can help you change that rough neighborhood you expect to move to????

I'd be glad to introduce you to someone with some real influence....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

This should be a strong indicator as to where the Mets now stand.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Or at least what their FO thinks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I will await softlaws input before I formulate my own opinion on this trade.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Opens the door for Beltran to come to the Sox. Mets are in financial survival mode.
    The cash they threw in was to prevent them from spending 17.5M for K-Rod's 2012,
    auto renew contract, which he was on pace for. Brew crew will use Rodriguez as a set up man, he won't reach his incentive of 55 games completed. He lost a ton of money in the deal, but hey, he gets to play for a contender now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

"Gaints" GM Brian Wilson says the team wants Beltran, Mets will get to name their price...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Now Boras is telling teams how to use his clients. What is he going to do? Sue? Next, contracts shall be drawn up instructing tit-for-tat how to use or even warm up a player.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

In Response to Re: 1st major trade of the season- Brewers get Francisco Rodriguez from Mets:
    [QUOTE] Opens the door for Beltran to come to the Sox. Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]

Just what we need...An injury waiting to happen.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

I cant wait to see who the players to be named are. This will tell us if Beltran is too expensive or not for the Sox.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Brewers are serious and dangerous.

Serious because they just pulled off this trade.

Dangerous because they refuse to believe that they can't make the playoffs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

beltran is certainly more experienced and has much greater career numbers than reddick, but i am not sure that he is going to be the better player for the next three months.

he does have the capability to hit right handed, but is much older, has a much more detailed history of injury, will heal more slowly if injured again, will cost at least one decent prospect, will be very expensive for the rest of the year and he will be the odd rent-a-player (with some decnt stats) guy who will not bring in any draft picks when he leaves in november as a free agent.

reddick is still somewhat unproven, but can play all three outfield positions, runs well, is healthy and has been hitting vey well for the entire time since he was last recalled from pawtucket.  his confidence is growing with every game he plays and seems to be a good fit.

his inexperience may see him finish the year with some ups and downs, but he might also be that "lightning in the bottle" young player for the rest of the year and end up over .300 with decent power numbers and RBIs.

for all of that typing, i prefer to see what reddick can do and let someone else take a chance with beltran.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

I would offer drew, reddick/kalish, and a single A pitcher.  Take it or leave it.  I wouldn't be upset either way.  Maybe make the $ so they save some.  Needs to be 2 prospects to make up for the draft picks...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

As long as the Sox take on all of beltrans salary, the Mets will probably take just A ball prospect and Cash.....they wont take Drew because that defeats the savings...thye get nothing if they keep him....and the Giants are shrewd FO also....they are not going to overpay for Beltran.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Great move by the Brewers...they're once again in it to win it and this might be thier last chance given the pending loss of Fielder to FA this offseason. Not sure ai can remember a player of Krod ability getting moved for 2 players to be named...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If Beltran could be acquired on the cheap he would render two draft picks.  Right now he is a type-A free agent, but that could change.  In the A.L. with the DH couldn't he be knocked down to a type B? which could make him more likely to decline arbitration thus still netting two picks....however if he puts up the stats and the playing time to remain a type-A then another team may be convinced to sign him.

I'd still rather stay in-house for this year.  This team is 1st in mostly every offensive category against LHP, so why go after an injury prone overpaid corner outfielder just because you have 3 Lefties out there?  last time I checked just because you have 3 left handed hitting outfielders doesn't mean you have to bat all three next to each other. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In Response to Re: 1st major trade of the season- Brewers get Francisco Rodriguez from Mets:
    [QUOTE]If Beltran could be acquired on the cheap he would render two draft picks.  Right now he is a type-A free agent, but that could change.  In the A.L. with the DH couldn't he be knocked down to a type B? which could make him more likely to decline arbitration thus still netting two picks....however if he puts up the stats and the playing time to remain a type-A then another team may be convinced to sign him. I'd still rather stay in-house for this year.  This team is 1st in mostly every offensive category against LHP, so why go after an injury prone overpaid corner outfielder just because you have 3 Lefties out there?  last time I checked just because you have 3 left handed hitting outfielders doesn't mean you have to bat all three next to each other. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

No picks for Beltran...his contract does not allow a team to offer him arbitration....that is one reason why the Mets need to trade him....they get nothing if they keep him....not even draft picks...and a big reason why they will not get alot for him if they want a team to assume the rest of his salary....which is what they really need

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wlbpatriotsfan. Show wlbpatriotsfan's posts

Trade was purely a salary dump for the Mets so don't expect players to be named to be any more than marginal prospects.  Brewers will not use Rodriguez as a closer so as not to trigger 17 million option clause.  Mets can now make a reasonable offer to retain Reyes.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=d122aefcdaf458362282bbfb1965bdee&plckUserId=d122aefcdaf458362282bbfb1965bdee">
    First: 9/29/2009
    Last: 7/13/2011

Who give a sh!t what that moron thinks!
    I will await softlaws input before I formulate my own opinion on this trade.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tropical-Nation. Show Tropical-Nation's posts

Everyone seems obsessed with adding more offense....but, gee, folks.....with our starting left fielder out and the right field platoon producing next to nothing, where are the Sox ranked in MLB on offense?

That's right. 1st or 2nd in every meaningful stat.

Ride Reddick as far as he will go.
    See what CC does when he's back.

If we're going to do something. lets look for a decent pitcher.
    A rotation of a hurt Beckett, an unpredictable Lackey, injured Lester/Buckholz, Wake( thank God for Timmy!) , Miller and TBA scares me....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

JYaso it was a joke, and clean up your language .

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

What are the odds of the SOX picking up a big time starting pitcher given the $ already invested, and the depth we have?  The prospects out there are not great either.  Anything they could get would be hugely expensive in prospects.  Even though the pitching is their "weakness" by the stats, the odds of a significant pitching upgrade is slim.

If not the pitching, then why not the offense.  They have 2 substantial holes in the lineup.  SS and RF.  Our RF defense is good, but the O is near the worst in the league for the position.  SS is subpar defensively, and average O.  C seems to have stabilized to at least Average.  Add to the discussion that we have lowrie on the DL, and Iglesis in AAA as the apparent heir apparent in a year or 2. 

Given all of this, RF seems like the most likely position to upgrade, despite the league leading O.  An extra run or two a game can't hurt can it?  Finding a long term replacement would be an added bonus, or even a year or two to let our upper prospects in the OF mature, rather than settle on the reddick type fringe prospects.  Wouldn't we all agree that Beltran would be an upgrade over reddick for the rest of this year and maybe next?

Beltran makes 19.3m this year, or 9.65m for the rest of the year(roughly).  Drew makes 14m this year or roughly 7m for the rest of the year.  Throw in a couple of million in cash to make it enticing to the mets, and the 2 prospects to cover the picks they lose.  They gain the service time on the prospects, getting them out of the unknown and chance of being a bust, and closer to being MLB players, while gaining some $ saved in the process...Sox gain an upgrade in RF this year, with a chance to extend his deal, and 2 picks if they dont.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

Getting Beltran makes the most sense for the Red Sox. The only superior options (From worst to best: Ethier, Pence, Kemp) would cost too much in terms of prospects, and since 2 of the 3 are Dodgers, their GM can ask for practically our whole farm to get Eithier or Kemp. Getting Kemp would require giving up Ellsbury, so you are replacing one of the best center fielders in the AL with Kemp instead of one of the worst right fielders in the AL.
     This move (the Mets dumping K-Rod) proved that the Mets are willing to dump salaries that won't be back next year in order to have money to sign Reyes, so they might willing to move Beltran. Yes, the Mets could theoretically get hot and steal the Wild Card from Atlanta, but let's get real: Philly wins the NL East, Atlanta runs away with the Wild Card. If we take on all of Beltran's salary (and considering that he would never count on the luxury tax and that the owners of the Sox are billionares, I think they could), we might get away with giving Reddick (he can replace Beltran in right), Dubront, and maybe a player to be named later for Beltran. Of course, if the Mets want more, we could give them Kalish instead of Reddick. If we get Beltran and he does well, we could sign him after the season to a 2 year, 7 million dollars a year deal. We would get nothing for losing him in free agency, seeing that he has a no-arbitration clause in his contract. However, if he is a Type A, we would still get a supplimental pick, seeing as a Type A who is never offered arb is the same as a Type B who is offered arb, declines, and flees for another city. However, due to last year's performance and injuries, he would probably be a Type B.
     Beltran is a very good fielder and performed great in the 2004 and 2006 postseasons (for Houston and New York, respectively). However, those are his only two postseasons, seeing as he toiled in Kansas City until he got traded to Houston, and howthe Mets have stunk recently. He has a career .366 average in the playoffs, but that is boosted by his .466 2004 NLDS and .415 NLCS. Houston was once inning away from the pennant with a juiced-up Clemens on the mound, and ended up losing to St. Louis. He only batted .222 in the 2006 NLDS, but the Mets still got by the Dodgers with relative ease. He did bat .296 with 3 homers in the NLCS against the Cards (who he also faced in the 2004 NLCS) but, like last time, the Cards prevailed in 7. He is on pace to hit .285 with 25 home runs against superior NL pitching, and hasn't suffered any knee injuries (knock on wood) this year, so he looks like a player we should target.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 1st major trade of the season- Brewers get Francisco Rodriguez from Mets : No picks for Beltran...his contract does not allow a team to offer him arbitration....that is one reason why the Mets need to trade him....they get nothing if they keep him....not even draft picks...and a big reason why they will not get alot for him if they want a team to assume the rest of his salary....which is what they really need
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

Ahhh I didn't know that.  I thought however that a team still gets a draft pick if another team signs him, and the arbitration pick was the supplemental round.  So couldn't Beltran still render one pick, and not two?  I know the system may be changing too, however this shouldn't be the main concern with picking up Beltran.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]I will await softlaw s input before I formulate my own opinion on this trade.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Does he dress you also?